Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers (2404 Views)

Police Reinstates dismissed Amos Olaniyan (Photos) / Court Reinstates Elected LG Chairmen In River State / Wike Reinstates Sacked Lecturers, Appoints Chief Judge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by desgiezd(m): 4:17pm On Jun 12, 2009
UPDATED AT 15.40 GMT

S'Court reinstates sacked Unilorin lecturers

The Supreme Court has in a unanimous judgment upheld the appeal of five lecturers who were sacked for taking part in the activities of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on May 15, 2001 and accordingly ordered their immediate re-instatement. The appeal of the other 45 lecturers comes up at the Supreme Court in September, this year. The re-instated lecturers are Dr. Taiwo Oloruntoba-Oju, Dr A.S, Ajayi, Dr. Adeyinka Banwo, Dr.Sola Ademiluka and O.O.Olugbara. The lead Judgment delivered by Justice Olufunke Folasade Adekeye granted all the prayers made by the appellants and ordered their restoration forthwith to their former positions. Adekeye held that the lecturers' constitutional right to fair hearing guaranteed under Section 36 was breached as there was sufficient evidence to show that they were not given fair hearing before their appointments were terminated. Consequently, the apex court upturned the judgment of the Court of Appeal, which had earlier endorsed the lecturers' sack. Adekeye also ordered that all their salaries and allowances be paid from the date of their sack to the date they were reinstated to their offices. Justice Adekeye also awarded the sum of N60,000 as costs to each of the appellants.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/breaking_news/article01
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by desgiezd(m): 4:21pm On Jun 12, 2009
This is particularly a good news. Many prominent Nigerians have pleaded on behalf of these lecturers to the authorities, OBJ remained recalcitrant and one thought Yar Adua would reinstate them but he refused to do so. Now they do not have a choice than to obey the Supreme Court.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by Nobody: 6:10am On Jun 13, 2009
@topic, gud news. And tank God we saw a post from BCR witout 'Yoruba', 'Benin' or map.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by Kay1kay1(m): 11:24am On Jun 13, 2009
Good News.Hope the remaining lecturers are also reinstated.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by Seum(f): 11:42am On Jun 13, 2009
We will see if Mr. "Rule of Law" will obey the court.

Shey he refused to re-instate them because OBJ told him not to?
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by damilola15: 11:43am On Jun 13, 2009
I thank God for them.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by OKEYCHIVIV(m): 11:54am On Jun 13, 2009
Thank God.
One day the law will catch up with all of them who are pepetrating injustice in our land.
That a nice one from Supreme court.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by babalawo(m): 12:29pm On Jun 13, 2009
Whoa I am really happy for them ooo although I know some of them are died

I was in my final year at Uniilorin when the whole issues started,the plain truth is that is was just a power tussle btw the then VC Oba abduraham and the Oloruntoba-oju lead ASUU.
Things were really bad and degerated into ethnic and religious lines.
Some viewed the VC who came from bayero Univerity was there to pursue an 'Ilorin' agenda as He was the first VC from Ilorin.He had a strong link with the "atoto press General" so He had his way with Obasanjo and no surprise the ASUU team had no favorable justice under Obasanjo. I must add too that some were against the ASUU regime as it was a semester a strike too many.

The koko bi say no institition in Nigeria whey never spoil and basterdized with our military frame of mind.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by desgiezd(m): 1:38pm On Jun 13, 2009
Seum:

We will see if Mr. "Rule of Law" will obey the court.

Shey he refused to re-instate them because OBJ told him not to?

Whether he likes it or not, whether it is convenient for OBJ or not, the ruling must be obeyed to the letter. They will also collect their accumulated unpaid salaries which I'm sure should be in millions.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by bigben3: 1:42pm On Jun 13, 2009
Justice after how many years? Justice delayed is justice denied>Am happy for the Guys,but at what cost to theim
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by GeorgeD1(m): 4:45pm On Jun 13, 2009
Justice at last! smiley
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by sojjy: 4:54pm On Jun 13, 2009
Shame to the enemy of progress.Mr rule of law,Nigerians are eagerly waiting to see u implementing this verdict.Is the Minister of injustice aware of this verdict, Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by Tudor4(m): 5:47pm On Jun 13, 2009
If they like, let the win at the hague it still don't matter! In nigeria The president would rather obey his mistress than the rule of law. . .
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by Oxone(m): 6:55pm On Jun 13, 2009
about time!!!
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by UyiIredia(m): 7:18pm On Jun 13, 2009
finally >> a breath of fresh air !!! smiley smiley
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by royalicon(m): 8:30pm On Jun 13, 2009
Good news to all Students in Nigerian Universities especially State and Federal. At least, one issues of ASUU strike is out, I remember spending 6month at stretch at home because of this issue during my university days. Success at last.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by md4real(m): 10:26pm On Jun 13, 2009
i hope this will end the politics of yearly strike by ASSU. lipsrsealed
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by jubar007: 6:50am On Jun 14, 2009
o.o.olugbara was my lecturer, very brillant man, and also a tough neck, kudos to d man, last i heard of him , he was in south africa,
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by Tonynwosa: 12:04pm On Jun 14, 2009
i hope this would mean a more stable academic calender. but then justice after about 8 years , shame on our judiciary system
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by GeorgeD1(m): 1:01pm On Jun 14, 2009
8 years! This really tells something about our justice system
in this country.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by Boslo: 4:42pm On Jun 14, 2009
That is if they are willing to go back to Unilorin.It is just funny,after 8 years.Am sure most of them must have gotten a better job either in Nigeria or outside Nigeria.

What about the other ones,were they not in thesame shoes so why reinstainting just five.Abeg they should do the right thing jo.
To add insult to the injury,they are reinstainted back to their former position.God forbid, is that not retrogression?
@ Babalawo better by far.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by GeorgeD1(m): 8:36pm On Jun 14, 2009
Have they said they are not willing to go back? As for the other ones, they're likely
to get the same judgement, that's why we're celebrating.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by horlla(m): 10:05pm On Jun 14, 2009
What about those who are dead what happens to their benefits like Prof Adegbija., I stand to be corrected but i think their termination trauma could have hasten their death. though they are old.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by GeorgeD1(m): 7:30pm On Jun 15, 2009
That is the irony of world justice. Sometimes, justice delayed can really be
justice denied-for those who are dead and gone.
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by DrKing(m): 12:45am On Jun 16, 2009
more kudos to the judiciary in nigeria. this is good news to all of us especially in the academia. we hope such will not happen in the future. let me again use this medium to appeal to federal government to faciliate the fg-ASUU before it get out of hands. god bless nigeria
Re: Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers by GeorgeD1(m): 8:20pm On Jun 16, 2009
Yes, we hope it doesn't happen again.

(1) (Reply)

Anambra Candidates Profile / One Dead, Kate Henshaw Brutalized As Police Crackdown On Occupy Lekki Protesters / Ebonyi State Speaker Impeached (source: Ray Power Breaking News @ 10:45 Am,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.