Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,831 members, 7,813,750 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:39 PM

The Pyschology Of Rationalization - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Pyschology Of Rationalization (554 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Pyschology Of Rationalization by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 02, 2016
As we usher in a new year, I feel we should also notice the weird things we've been doing and try to stop it in this new year
What is Rationalization.
Rationalization is the process of coming
up with apparently rational explanations
for a certain behavior after employing
that behavior or having begun to employ
it. We do this in order to make that
behavior seem optimal, even though it is
likely not.
Essentially, rationalization is the act of
making excuses

We normally take decisions as explained below
Situation> Objective Analysis> Result.

However, Rationalization goes thus
Situation> Decision> "Rational Explaination"

There are diverse ways in which rationalization occurs. For example

- A boy sees a very pretty lady in a party and decides not to walk you to her. He then concludes she is probably a high Class babe who would diss him anyways

- A man grumbles at the low income he is earning but rather than put his résumé out there, he says "half a bread is better than none"

- A wife is beaten regularly by her abusive husband. Rather than leave him, she says "patience is all that matters, he will still change"

There are many more evidences for rationalization but with these few examples listed above, I think we can spot them out for ourselves.

CAUSES OF RATIONALIZATION
Well, the number one primary cause of rationalization is fear. Despite what the movies/novels say most people are afraid of the unknown; they essientially fear change.
Another cause for Rationalization is consistency. We humans love to be consistent. Consistency, no matter how boring, is the great bane of civilization. Without it, there will be no society. Therefore, it should come as no great shock that one would try to stay consistent, no matter how demanding it may be.
Rationalization can also be caused by an unwilliginess to admit mistake. For some hours now, we have seen Olamide beefing Don Jazzy and the former also doing the same. Neither would like to admit they were wrong and so they might continue the beef and sour potiential future collabos.

Now you may ask, "Fascinating, but wetin concern me Well,dear reader, it does concern you because you have practiced rationalization one time or another. Every human has. Rationalization might be acceptable at small levels but when it start affecting big decisions, it becomes a problem.

HOW TO END IT

Like I said, Rationalization cannot be ended at all levels of one's life; it is too deeply embedded in human pyschology to be stopped. However, one can drastically reduce it's effect on our decision and actions. How, you may ask? Well, Rationalization is directly tied to fear; and inversely proportional to confidence. Easy, it's not a maths thread grin. All I'm saying is : the more confidence you have, the less you tend to rationalize. Just stop making excuses. Start admitting your mistakes. Say to yourself every day that you're special. It's amazing how one can convince one'sself so easily. Learn to build your confidence, it might be slow, it might be fast. Different strokes for different folks.

People who rarely rationalize may have scars, or might even be depressed from time to time. But believe me, on the overall, they tend to be confident, enjoy life more often and have a lot of things working for them. So which do you want to be? The non-descripit, eternally nervous individual Or the bold, self confident person? The choice, they say, is yours

1 Like

Re: The Pyschology Of Rationalization by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jan 02, 2016
Cc lalasticlala, UjSizzle, nymkers15, aaronson (methinks you're a pyschologistgrin) and everyone out there.

(1) (Reply)

Web Developer / You Dont Want To Miss This,i Swear!!!!!ict Guru On Twitter / Microsoft Is Giving Away Hundreds Of Free Books

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.