Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,225 members, 7,815,287 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? (18091 Views)

Change Toyata Camry Engine From V6 To I4 / Whats The Difference Between A Mecedes Ml V8 And V6 / What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by fernald: 4:18pm On Jun 14, 2009
What are the reasons why Nigerians are running away from V6 Engines? Does it have maintanance problem? Automobile Engineers in the house should assist
Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by freshmoney(m): 5:27pm On Jun 14, 2009
V6 is superior to V4, it is long lasting,strictly for you and I.
Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by ElRazur: 6:34pm On Jun 14, 2009
Nigerians aint running away. I am a Nigerian and I have used a few cars with v6 engines. My last one was a Mitsubishi FTO.

The current generation of Mechanic in Naija learn their trade based around I4 engines. So a V6 may perhaps be alien to them. Also the arrangement of the Plug system confuses the mechanic.

V6 are smoother than most I4 engines and in my opinion, the V6 engines provide a balance between power and economy.
Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by diehard1: 6:46pm On Jun 14, 2009
i have used four cylinder cars and v6 cars, v6 are far superior to 4 cylinder. Very quiet and smooth running. they consume more fuel if you press de throttle real hard. If you love performance then a v6 is better. Mechanics also get very confused when fixing them, so be very careful of who u take the car to else you are dead.

1 Like

Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by bigfather(m): 8:08pm On Jun 14, 2009
diehard1:

i have used four cylinder cars and v6 cars, v6 are far superior to 4 cylinder. Very quiet and smooth running. they consume more fuel if you press de throttle real hard. If you love performance then a v6 is better. Mechanics also get very confused when fixing them, so be very careful of who u take the car to else you are dead.

Seconded ! I've been using a camry V6 for the past 9mths and i can confirm to you that V6 engines are very cool.

3 Likes

Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by Deichi(m): 11:49pm On Sep 05, 2009
thirded, lol grin
i have been driving a Honda Legend fro the past ten years and the engine has never, eva
parked up once. V6 are the way to go from point A to B in time.

why have a slow car when you can run undecided
Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by thithi(f): 11:53pm On Sep 05, 2009
V6 all the way, you feel the power, the performance and you are in control.
4 cylinder is just better on gas, but wont trade performance for gas
Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by german007(m): 11:55pm On Sep 05, 2009
cool
Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by thithi(f): 3:46am On Sep 06, 2009
german007:

@thithi

Can you please tender your evidence of your claim and status?

Regards

In a 4-cylinder engine, there are four pistons rising and falling in four chambers.
A 6-cylinder engine features six pistons and produces a theoretical 50% more power than the same 4-cylinder engine.
While a 4-cylinder engine might hesitate when you press on the gas, a 6-cylinder will tend to be more responsive, with greater get-up-and-go.
The 4-cylinder engine is standard in smaller cars, as the relatively light weight of the vehicle makes it an economical choice with plenty of power for average motoring needs.
Many models include a 6-cylinder engine upgrade option.
More cylinders equal more power when comparing the same engine models.
If deciding between a 4 and 6-cylinder engine on a new vehicle, there are a few considerations.
The smaller engine will be less expensive and should get slightly better gas mileage, {just on gas}.
The disadvantage of a 4 cylinder is a lack of power that might factor in more for commuters and travelers. For hilly or mountainous areas, the 6-cylinder engine would likely be a better choice

Would u want more?

2 Likes

Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by german007(m): 9:56am On Sep 06, 2009
@thithe

Sorry iv caught you out bro, , I asked you to tender your evidence and not to do a google search for your info. lol

You'v copied your claim from 
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-4-and-6-cylinder-engine.htm

Gawd. Thank GOD for google,

Tender your evidence again pls.

REGARDS.
Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by chyjoke1(m): 10:16pm On Sep 06, 2009
i caught a challenge on TOP GEAR last week between a Toyota Prius 1.5L engine and 4.0L BMW M4. the consumption of fuel between a V6 and a 4cyl engine is a function of driving habit. The Toyota Prius was in front and to go at the highest speed whereas the BMW was just following behind and after the challenge the Prius was found to have consumed more fuel. i am sure there were other people that caught the challenge on BBCkw

1 Like

Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by bandore(m): 10:28pm On Sep 06, 2009
v6 is a better option any day, drive responsibly nd enjoy less fuel consumption

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by MrKelly: 10:18am On Sep 07, 2009
chyjoke1:

i caught a challenge on TOP GEAR last week between a Toyota Prius 1.5L engine and 4.0L BMW M4. the consumption of fuel between a V6 and a 4cyl engine is a function of driving habit. The Toyota Prius was in front and to go at the highest speed whereas the BMW was just following behind and after the challenge the Prius was found to have consumed more fuel. i am sure there were other people that caught the challenge on BBCkw

This can only happen in a highway situation. The Prius in questin will have to press harder on the gas pedal to maintain a high speed with the Beemer thereby burning more fuel. We all know that.

Why will I use a v6 when all I need is a car that will take me to work and back, or perhaps an occasional visit to the next city amidst the usual heavy traffic in Lagos? I drive my 6 cylinder Highlander only on weekend effizzy or when I need to travel to the east with my family but for normal weekly activities, I stick to my 4 cylinder corona.

Buying a 6 cylinder for city driving does not make economical sense. You end up spending more on gas and mentainance. I will only consider 6 or 8 cylinder when I need to put my entire family on one car in a highway trip to the mountain.

9 Likes

Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by kuntash: 11:12am On Sep 07, 2009
almost carried away by all the posts, hmmm I might consider the v6 next time,
Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by rasputinn(m): 5:00pm On Sep 07, 2009
@ ALL

There really is no need for all these comparisms,I've used V4 and V6 in the past,now I still use a V4 (Honda),V6(Toyota) and V8(Range)
As far as I'm concerned,each of them have areas where they are preferred to the others.For instance,the V4 is for school runs and dressing down,so I don't really need much power on these activities,rather I'll save on fuel.The V6 is for my day to day business,the only advantage here is that it runs smoother,as I really don't need the power,since the way to my office is not the German autobahn.Secondly,when I need tgo use my own car outside Lagos,of course I'll have them take either the V6 or the V8 for the dual advantages of power and,well you know what  grin grin grin
Re: V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? by MrKelly: 9:18am On Sep 09, 2009
rasputinn:

@ ALL

There really is no need for all these comparisms,I've used V4 and V6 in the past,now I still use a V4 (Honda),V6(Toyota) and V8(Range)
As far as I'm concerned,each of them have areas where they are preferred to the others.For instance,the V4 is for school runs and dressing down,so[b] I don't really need much power on these activities,rather I'll save on fuel. The V6 is for my day to day business,the only advantage here is that it runs smoother,as I really don't need the power,since the way to my office is not the German autobahn.Secondly,when I need tgo use my own car outside Lagos,of course I'll have them take either the V6 or the V8 for the dual advantages of power and,well you know what  grin grin grin

I guess we are saying the same thing.

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Police Assists Man Whose Vehicle Broke Down In Lagos / How Much Do You Spend On Car Fuel Weekly / VREG: No To Re-Registration Of Vehicles - Daily Trust Editorial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.