Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

SALESMANSHIP CENTRE: Two Widely Held Marketing Myths - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / SALESMANSHIP CENTRE: Two Widely Held Marketing Myths (657 Views)

6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke / Money Myths That Have Made Nigerians Broke / SALESMANSHIP CENTRE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SALESMANSHIP CENTRE: Two Widely Held Marketing Myths by SalesConsultant(m): 2:54pm On Jan 04, 2016
TWO WIDELY HELD MARKETING MYTHS THAT GET NOVICE BUSINESS OWNERS IN TROUBLE

Because most of us have been educated and trained to view with a job mind-set rather than a self-employment mind-set, there are two widely marketing myths that get novice business owners in trouble. Recognizing and correcting them in 2016 will save you a lot of time, money and frustration.

MYTH #1: Because I Love It, It Will Sell
Let’s assume you are starting a new business or have a great idea for a new product or services. It’s terrific. It’s creative. It’s wonderful. It’s unique. It’s the greatest idea you have ever had! Therefore it will sell. Right? Guest again.

The problem with this kind of thinking is that you are assuming your customers have the same wants, needs, taste, and view of the world as you do. And while that may or may not be true, to assume its true is taking a blind and dangerous risk. You don’t get rich selling what you love. You get rich selling customers what they want.

MYTH #2: If I Do the Best Job, the Customers Will Come
How I wish that were true just do the best work and you’ll get the gold star. It works in school. It works in sports. It some times works on the job. But in the marketplace, it rarely works ‘if you build it, they will come’ is from the movie field of dreams. Its not form the marketplace.

Here is the problem. In the market place there is no best work. There is only the perception for what is best. What you perceive as the best work, someone else may perceive as average, mediocre, or poor work. What one customer thinks is a great value is a waste of money to another. In the real world, there’s no such thing as:

• A good value or poor value;
• A good product or a poor product;
• High quality or low quality
• A great service or poor service
• A good deal or a bad deal.
Only the customer perceptions make it so.

ILLUSTRATION:
Mr A own and spend fortune on radio station but never made profit. Why? He insisted on playing the music he loved- the likes of Don Williams, classical, jazz and soft instrumentals. The playing of Hip Hop, rock, fuji, dance Hall and gospel music was forbidden because he doesn’t like it. Well, you can just imagine what size of audience that drew in a city like Lagos. Few people tuned in, and because the audience was small, few businesses paid to advertise on the station.

On the other hand is Mr B, a nearby competing station owned the market because the owner had a total different mind-set. Mr B said in his own words “I hate listening to my station because I can’t stand the music. I just tell the manager to play what the people want, and we keep making money”

Your success as entrepreneur won’t be determined by the products or services you offer. It wont be determined by how hard you work or how many hours you put in. Nor will it be determined by your IQ, the number of degrees you have, or whom you know.
You can do a great job, work hard, be brilliant, have great contacts, and still go broke. It happens every day because these factors don’t determine success in business. They may contribute to success but they wont determined it.

The success of business is determined by the number of its customers and how much they spend. And that’s determined by what they think, feel, and believe about the business. Period. Successful marketing is a game played between your customers and potential customers’ ears. It’s not what you know but what they perceive that counts. When it comes to real world marketing, how you perceive your business is irrelevant. How customers perceive your business is everything.

Source: www.salesmanshipcentre.com
©2015
Re: SALESMANSHIP CENTRE: Two Widely Held Marketing Myths by Tallesty1(m): 2:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
Spot on.

Oga lalasticlala come learn business incase Seun marries n his wife say make he close nland.
Re: SALESMANSHIP CENTRE: Two Widely Held Marketing Myths by SalesConsultant(m): 5:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
Thanks.

This post I believe will help business owners re-examine their marketing strategy and become more customer oriented.

Lalasticlala over to you
Re: SALESMANSHIP CENTRE: Two Widely Held Marketing Myths by Dymaco(m): 5:35pm On Jan 04, 2016
good incite
Re: SALESMANSHIP CENTRE: Two Widely Held Marketing Myths by SalesConsultant(m): 9:11am On Jan 05, 2016
Dymaco:
good incite

Thanks @Dymaco
Re: SALESMANSHIP CENTRE: Two Widely Held Marketing Myths by SalesConsultant(m): 9:12am On Jan 05, 2016
Dymaco:
good incite

Thanks @Dymaco

(1) (Reply)

Serious Minded Business Partner Needed / Should A Bank Account Holder Having Millions In Account Have An ATM Card / 8 Types Of Intelligence........click To Choose Yours’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.