Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,122 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars (6656 Views)

Fani-kayode Reacts To Oba Of Lagos Alleged Threat To Igbos, Says Its Ominious An / (PICTURE) APC Legislator Caught Contesting In Two States / Governor Danbaba Suntai Of Taraba State Crashes Private Jet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by asha80(m): 12:10pm On Jun 15, 2009
Legislator acquires private jet http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/june/15/national-15-06-2009-01.htm
•Says its cheaper than cars
From JAMES OJO, Abuja
Monday, June 15, 2009

Hon Bala Ibn Na’Allah
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section
After six years as a member of the House of Representatives, Hon. Bala Ibn Na’Allah has made history as the first lawmaker in the country since independence to fly a private jet. He acquired the aircraft recently in the United States of America (USA).

His recent diatribes against criminality in the Niger Delta struggle, which had attracted flaks notwithstanding, Na’Allah, a lawyer by profession, who became very popular at the Oputa Panel, qualified as a pilot after undergoing training at the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology in Zaria.

He was certified to fly an aircraft after he undertook a successful solo flight under the supervision of a professional pilot, according to international practice.

Representing Zuru/Fakai/Zakaba/ Dawazagu Federal Constituency of Kebbi State in the House of Representatives, N’ Allah recently flew the small aircraft in the company of this writer from Kaduna to Abuja on a day the weather was clement in the morning, but became turbulent in the evening.

Sitting next to him in the cockpit as ‘co-pilot’, one marveled as Na’Allah displayed his dexterity in manipulating and navigating the aircraft through the cloudy weather between Kaduna and Abuja .
“There is a way the weather will tell you if it is going to be bad. This is one of the beauties of flying,” he pointed out before entering the aircraft.

Apart from the weather telling you what would happen in the next few hours, Na’Allah explained that the aircraft has a way of telling the pilot when it is not ready to fly.
“If the aircraft is not ready to fly, it will tell you during the pre-flight check, which must be carried out before any flight is undertaken,” Na’Allah said.

As a matter of routine, a pilot must first obtain weather forecast for his/her route from the meteorological station.

On this very day, Nallah obtained the weather forecast for Kaduna-Abuja route from the weather station. He came back smiling that the weather was okay, but that “we have to be airborne quickly to avoid rough weather later in the day around Abuja airspace.”
Before jumping into the aircraft for the Abuja trip, he carried out the check, he gauged the pressure level, checked the tyre and the fuel levels, and the journey was underway.

Watching him manipulating the buttons and communicating with Kano, Abuja and Kaduna airports was a delight. He sought and got clearance from the Kaduna Control Towers before entering the runaway to make way for an in-coming big aircraft.

He was cleared to take off and established contact with Kano that he was airborne; and then Abuja to prepare for his landing in less than one hour.
Kaduna told him the altitude he must fly to avoid troubled weather. He shared the information with Kano and Abuja and the weather situation at take off.

When he gained balance and stabilized the aircraft, he opened discussion with his ‘co-pilot’, not on the weather forecast or the technicality of getting the aircraft off the ground and maintaining a balance against an unstable weather.

Why should Na’Allah be interested in flying, a risky thing at this stage of his life, even when he had made it as a lawyer and as a politician? He said flying was the best thing that has ever happened to him.
“I am enjoying it more than anything. To fly is the easiest thing to do. I have come to realize it. In fact, if it is possible, I won’t mind flying an aircraft from my bedroom to the toilet,” he said.

The high death toll resulting from crash landing and disappearance of aircraft has not instilled any fear in Na’Allah. He was emphatic that cumulatively, the number of death resulting from road accidents was far higher than that recorded from the air.

“Flying is million times safer than driving on the roads. Unlike the roads where you have mad drivers that can drive you crazy, there is nothing like that on air.

“The number of air mishaps is not comparable with the number of auto crashes we record on daily basis on our roads. Do you know that you cannot jump into an aircraft without knowing the weather forecast? You can’t hop into the aircraft for a journey without certifying the health status of the aircraft,” he explained.
Furthermore, he said, “the safety of the pilot, the aircraft and the passengers is paramount and standards have been set internationally to guarantee this without any compromise. This is the only means of transportation that is programmed, monitored and sustained.

Unlike in the USA where several senators and members of the House of Representatives own and fly their private jets, acquiring jets in Nigeria is elitist by all standards.

Na’Allah agreed that it might look elitist to own a private jet, but insisted that it was cheaper for him to maintain his small aircraft, than to maintain some cars in his garage. Na’Allah was a car dealer before venturing into politics.

“The experience I have gathered since I took delivery of my aircraft showed that it was far, far cheaper to maintain than maintaining my cars. Can you imagine that a return flight from Abuja to Zuru, my village will cost me 50 litres of petrol, whereas, my Jeep will consume over 200 litres?” he queried rhetorically.
In terms of time, he explained, by road the same journey will take between seven and eight hours, whereas, it will take one hour, 40 minutes by air. “In Zuru, my village, there is an air strip, don’t forget, I am representing the home of generals, not to talk of Kebbi with an Airport. In most cities in Nigeria , there are places to accommodate light aircraft for landing and take off, said Na’Allah.

Still debunking insinuation that acquiring a jet is a display of ostentation in the midst of poverty, Na’Allah said that the cost of servicing his Propellered-CESSNA-172 model was not up to the price of 2008 model of Toyota or Honda products.

“To service it after a mandatory 50-hour flight, which is the equivalent of servicing a car, costs less than N50,000. And for maintenance, the retainership fee with Aviation Maintenance Organization [AMO] per annum is about N200,000.

“Precisely, he said that the C-172 air craft manufactured in 1971 and registered with Nigeria ’s aviation authorities as 5N-BRT cost him about $48,000 to acquire.
For his landing fee at any of the airports in the country, the charge paid is N200, while the three tyres cost $182 to replace every three years, depending on the number of successful landing.
“In all, you will see that it is very cheap to maintain this air craft than to maintain the latest car in the market. I am not a Christian, but I understand that the Bible says that ‘my people perishes because of lack of knowledge’.

“I think if people know that it is cheaper to acquire and maintain a small air craft like my own, many Nigerians would not hesitate to get one today, than the craze for buying flashy cars, with armed robbers trailing you, not to talk of bad roads and frequent car crash,” he said.

The idea of owning a jet and flying it came to the law maker after years of consultancy in Aviation Insurance. And to achieve his aim, Na’Allah enrolled at the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology (NCAT) in Zaria for training as a non-professional pilot.

He graduated and was certified to fly before he jetted out to South Africa for further training in type rating.
He explained: “Type rating is the training in the category of aircraft you can fly. If you want to fly another category of aircraft, you must undergo fresh training and certified by another pilot, unlike driving just any car so long as you have your driving license.”
Economically, he said that it was even wiser and cheaper to invest in air strips than put roads everywhere
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by tunku(m): 12:19pm On Jun 15, 2009
Is this a Jet or a propeller powered small frame aircraft? Either way the hell? Why not fix the roads for the people that you represent rather than flying above the problem.
Dear Honorable idiot, the idea is to mobilize safe and cheap transportation for the masses, not waste money on crap that the average Nigerian cannot even afford to pay off in his/her lifetime.
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by Kx: 12:27pm On Jun 15, 2009
I think it is now clearer why they want to use public fund to
build airports in all d states for their private jets.

Indeed,it is cheaper to fly private jet than go by road. shocked shocked shocked

From pastors to law makers,the craze has just begun.
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by javalove(m): 12:40pm On Jun 15, 2009
oro ilu yi ti su mi!!!
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by oludashmi(f): 12:46pm On Jun 15, 2009
So he too knows we have bad roads and he can't help by fixing just one. He is leaving the bad roads for us to keep plying while he escapes thru the air. No wahala, God help us.
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by oludashmi(f): 12:46pm On Jun 15, 2009
So he too knows we have bad roads and he can't help by fixing just one. He is leaving the bad roads for us to keep plying while he escapes thru the air. No wahala, God help us.
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by jensinmi(m): 12:49pm On Jun 15, 2009
INCREDIBLE!!!!

This is what happens when people who failed school are given jobs as newspaper reporters.

1. The Cessna 172 is not a jet. Not even close. It is a four-seater propeller airplane. Not that I'm trying to take anything away from the piloting skills of this lawmaker. I'm just saying that this in NOT a JET. So, why does this foolish reporter keep referring to it as a jet. Jets run on Avation fuel, Are much bigger, faster, and altogether contribute almost 25% of the world's carbon emissions due to how uneconomical their use is.

This is a photo of what a Cessna 172 looks like

2. This lawmaker's comments about it being cheaper to build air fields and how more Nigerians should look into airplanes as means of transport are EXTREMELY FOOLISH!!

While some propeller planes may run on petrol, most planes run on aviation fuel, which is expensive and uneconomical. Does he know how many people we have in Nigeria?? How will more airstrips benefit us in getting most individuals from place to place in JETS, not propeller planes like this o. JETS. That actually cost far more to operate and are designed for carrying large numbers of people.

Both the reporter and the Lawmaker are Nimrods. The should shut up and let us hear word jor,
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by MrCrackles(m): 12:56pm On Jun 15, 2009
Illiteracy is a massive problem in Nigeria
Reporter referring to a light propeller powered aircraft as a jet shocked
Legislator moaning it is cheaper than a car shocked
What the fuc.k is going on?
Why are most Nigerians so dumb all over
Reporters, President, Governmors Lawmakers, Graduates, Politicians, Journalists, Actors/Actresses, Heads of Public and Private Services etc. . . .
Absolutely pathetic! angry
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by Kx: 12:59pm On Jun 15, 2009
jensinmi:

INCREDIBLE!!!!
The Cessna 172 is not a jet. Not even close. It is a four-seater propeller airplane. Not that I'm trying to take anything away from the pilot skills of this lawmaker. I'm just saying that this in NOT a JET. g[/img]

Even if the plane is a helicopter,are u saying the ''skillful'' pilot turned law maker is right in ignoring ur raods and its repairs to fly?
Like someone said,GOD DEY!
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by frankogbu(m): 1:01pm On Jun 15, 2009
In all, you will see that it is very cheap to maintain this air craft than to maintain the latest car in the market. I am not a Christian, but I understand that the Bible says that ‘my people perishes because of lack of knowledge’.

Interesting. This same dude calling for the extermination of a whole tribe is this "knowledgable". It may interest him to know that the source of that jet COULD be from the same people he is calling for their heads.

BIG FOOL. That a summary of who he is.
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 15, 2009
half baked semi literate olodo reporting on another half baked semi literate olodo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by tboyjnr(m): 1:11pm On Jun 15, 2009
oyb:

half baked semi literate olodo reporting on another half baked semi literate olodo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

MrCrackles:

Reporter referring to a light propeller powered aircraft as a jet shocked
Legislator moaning it is cheaper than a car shocked
Reporters, President, Governmors Lawmakers, Graduates, Politicians, Journalists, Actors/Actresses, Heads of Public and Private Services etc. . . .
Absolutely pathetic! angry

QFT
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by Lagosboy: 1:14pm On Jun 15, 2009
Who should you blame is it the pseudo illiterate reporter or Mike Awoyinfa the editor or is it MD of the sun newspapers. An editors job is to edit the news going to print and i cannot imagine how this propeller is called a jet. The reporter should have gone foward and called it a gulfstream one.
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by bandely(m): 1:15pm On Jun 15, 2009
oyb:

half baked semi literate olodo reporting on  another half baked semi literate olodo   cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Hahahahahahah

Two Olodos
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by chidichris(m): 1:18pm On Jun 15, 2009
Is this a Jet or a propeller powered small frame aircraft? Either way the hell? Why not fix the roads for the people that you represent rather than flying above the problem.
Dear Honorable idiot, the idea is to mobilize safe and cheap transportation for the masses, not waste money on crap that the average Nigerian cannot even afford to pay off in his/her lifetime.

@tunku,
i really do not know about copy right laws here in nairaland otherwise i wld have love to copy u word to word. what we have in nigeria are honourable idiots and law breakers.
the law breaker here now is happy to start a new way of life that will give room for others who have access to fly so that it will easy to seperate the wheats from the chaffs.
in all, our honourable idiots, u shld remember, GOD is watching u all.

INCREDIBLE!!!!

This is what happens when people who failed school are given jobs as newspaper reporters.

1. The Cessna 172 is not a jet. Not even close. It is a four-seater propeller airplane. Not that I'm trying to take anything away from the pilot skills of this lawmaker. I'm just saying that this in NOT a JET. So, why does this foolish reporter keep referring to it as a jet. Jets run on Avation fuel, Are much bigger, faster, and altogether contribute almost 25% of the world's carbon emissions due to how uneconomical their use is.

Reporter referring to a light propeller powered aircraft as a jet Shocked
Legislator moaning it is cheaper than a car Shocked
Absolutely pathetic!

@MrCrackles and jensinmi,
i really love to say this here, in nigeria, the educated elites are more problematic than the uneducated ones. look at prof iwu, bode george, and other highly placed criminals in nigeria, they are all educated criminals.

some say shark swallowed jonah while others say fish swallowed jonah. where is the emphasy here? we all have to first of all agree that there was a swallow and that jonah was involved.

this topic is about a honourable idiot deciding to use air against the bad roads. propeller, tyres, fuel and water can only be applicable in the engineering analysis of what he has choosen.

what is the rant about ur knowledge abt aircrafts? by the way, anything that has the ability to fly instead of moving on the ground must have a uniform name. address the issue and stop telling us who u are bcs most of us are not interested.

keep ur education which has in most cases come in as a round peg in a square hole discuss the topic of this post. you can't always prefer shadow to the main object.

call it any name but the information here is he has an aeroplane and that is what we want his constituency to know. u don't go about discussing propeller powered whilbarow with old people in the village.

@topic,
he might have ran away from bad roads and everyother danger available from the ground, he shld always remember that he can never run away from God. sometimes nigeria avietion industry can look for a missing aircraft until hunters see it. i wish him luck but let him not be unlucky to be seen by my hometown hunters.
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jun 15, 2009
Lagosboy:

Who should you blame is it the pseudo illiterate reporter or Mike Awoyinfa the editor or is it MD of the sun newspapers. An editors job is to edit the news going to print and i cannot imagine how this propeller is called a jet. The reporter should have gone foward and called it a gulfstream one.

leave the sun out of this. the owner (orji uzor Kalu) is a highly respected grammarian who authors a beautifully written 'leadership series' cheesy cheesy i'm being sarcastic
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by SamMilla1(m): 1:32pm On Jun 15, 2009
This is the oldest aircraft i have ever seen.

Looks like what commando used in 1967 movie.

I hope he knows what he is doing.

by the way , has he explained to yaradua where the money came from?
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by MrCrackles(m): 1:40pm On Jun 15, 2009
Sam Milla:

This is the oldest aircraft i have ever seen.
I hope he knows what he is doing.

Doesnt look like that dude knows what he his doing! cheesy
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by klassyguy(m): 1:45pm On Jun 15, 2009
Sometimes i wonder whether most of these journalists know what they report. Is this a private jet, or a jet for that matter?
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by klassyguy(m): 1:46pm On Jun 15, 2009
Im sure very soon one or more of these so-called legislators will go ahead and buy a boeing or airbus and begin to brag about it. Nigeria, what a waste.
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by FBS: 1:50pm On Jun 15, 2009
@Chidicris, some very valid points you made there. A+. wink
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by proudly9ja(m): 2:08pm On Jun 15, 2009
I actually don't have a problem with senators owning 'jets' especially if they also adopt it for commercial purposes. What I have a problem with is the reasons he gave for using it. He knows there are armed robbery incidents and bad roads and rather than tell us how they are helping to combat this social ill, the guy is telling us how he is avoiding it. So for those who can't afford it, what should they do sir?
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by Kelvinj(m): 2:10pm On Jun 15, 2009
@chrischidi
tanx my bro weda na helicopter,copper,plane,jet,kite etc, We ar tryn 2 address an issue here nt d speech.
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by asha80(m): 2:20pm On Jun 15, 2009
call it any name but the information here is he has an aeroplane and that is what we want his constituency to know. u don't go about discussing propeller powered whilbarow with old people in the village.

grin wink
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by ifyalways(f): 2:29pm On Jun 15, 2009
Hes running away from armed robbers,bad roads and crazy drivers he said abi?He shld remember he cant run when karma and the tears,anguish and pains of the ppl his suppossed to represent comes calling.
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by Fhemmmy: 2:34pm On Jun 15, 2009
Nigerians will never seize to amaze me.
I wonder what kinda law such lawmaker will make.
So sad.
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by dammytosh: 3:05pm On Jun 15, 2009
Much Ado about nothing.

A brand new Bentley 2008 (Car) "http://www.carprice.com/new-cars/bentley " can buy you two of that $48,000 metal scrap he bought called jet and a lot of these law breakers makers have more expensive cars in the fleets parked in their garage.

I think we should Leave the guy. He is practising how to fly. At least practice makes one perfect  grin. (He stated a very stupid and Foolish reasons for buying it though  undecided).

It is part of the re-branding exercise.

I will not be surprised if that is not the only one ordered by the Law makers. They will just use that to see people's reactions.

Nigeria !,  Funny Nation  grin, Funny People.  grin
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by Fhemmmy: 3:34pm On Jun 15, 2009
dammytosh:

Much Ado about nothing.

A brand new Bentley 2008 (Car) "http://www.carprice.com/new-cars/bentley " can buy you two of that $48,000 metal scrap he bought called jet and a lot of these law breakers makers have more expensive cars in the fleets parked in their garage.

I think we should Leave the guy. He is practising how to fly. At least practice makes one perfect  grin. (He stated a very stupid and Foolish reasons for buying it though  undecided).

It is part of the re-branding exercise.

I will not be surprised if that is not the only one ordered by the Law makers. They will just use that to see people's reactions.

Nigeria !,  Funny Nation  grin, Funny People.  grin

Na wa for you oh, you are comparing a 1971 piece of Cessna to a 2008 Bentley? haba now.
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by joobreel(m): 3:41pm On Jun 15, 2009
Na Naija we dey now! anything can happen
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by dammytosh: 4:25pm On Jun 15, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Na wa for you oh, you are comparing a 1971 piece of Cessna to a 2008 Bentley? haba now.
I am trying to say that a lot of Lawbreakers makers, i mean. have Bentley 2008 in their fleet and nobody is talking about them. Of course they worth more than the Scrap metal our guy bought for practicing flying. smiley
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by spikedcylinder: 4:39pm On Jun 15, 2009
Soon now, a Senator will buy a Yatch and it will be reported that he bought 50 Submarines. grin
Re: Legislator Acquires Private Jet.says Its Cheaper Than Cars by pek(m): 5:36pm On Jun 15, 2009
this is Nigeria where workers who are graduates are paid 30k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A-z Photos Of Dr. Fayemi's Victory Celebration In Akure / Nigeria Signs N33.14b MOU On Power Transmission With France / Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.