Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,365 members, 7,826,436 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

2016 Budget: Power Ministry To Spend N20.6bn On Electricity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2016 Budget: Power Ministry To Spend N20.6bn On Electricity (607 Views)

Buhari Spent $2.6bn On Boko Haram Crisis –CDS / Buhari Should Take Over Power Ministry -melaye / Budget: Power Ministry To Spend N20.6bn On Electricity To Power Corporate HQ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2016 Budget: Power Ministry To Spend N20.6bn On Electricity by jarkbauer: 11:17am On Jan 05, 2016
The Ministry of Works, Power and Housing is to spend N20, 692,987,864 on the provision of electricity to its corporate headquarters in Abuja.
The expenditure, which is contained in the 2016 Appropriation Bill, also includes the sum of N45, 463,197 for fuelling of its generating plants.
Following the amalgamation of the three key ministries, there seems to have been an attempt to also grant the ministry and its parastatals a huge chunk of the national budget, particularly in the power sector.
For instance, the National Rural Electrification Agency (NERA) has been allocated the sum of N9.7 billion; Electricity Management Services was allocated the sum of N2.2 billion; National Power Training Institute has N1.3 billion; Nigeria Electricity Liability Management Limited has N3.3 billion; Nigeria Bulk Electricity Trading Plc. has N60.7 billion, while the Transmission Company of Nigeria got an allocation of N48.2 billion.
SEE ALSO: We’ll recover every looted fund, no matter how long it takes – Buhari
Similarly, the Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA) has been allocated the sum of N46.2 billion, just as the sum of N569,566, 969 has also been allocated to the same ministry for local and foreign travels; maintenance of motor vehicles and transport equipment as well as for fuel and lubricants of its vehicles.
The same ministry has proposed a total of 19 new electricity projects valued at N20.287 billion and 78 road projects estimated to cost N260.838 billion.
Advertisement

These projects are located in different parts of the country.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN) yesterday met with the local manufacturers of pre-paid meters in Abuja to address the problems of estimated billing and electricity theft.
The meeting, according to a statement by the Director of Press, Ministry of Power, Mr. Timothy Oyedeji, was to re-focus attention on the need to rapidly roll-out meters in order to ensure that Distribution Companies (DISCOs) charge electricity consumers only for energy they consume.
SEE ALSO: Nasarawa Assembly passes supplementary budget for assent
According to Oyedeji, the report submitted to the meeting showed that there are estimated over three million unmetered customers nationwide.
This informed government’s policy to bridge this metering gap as quickly as possible with maximum impact on local manufacturing and employment potential fully harnessed.
Speaking at the meeting, representative of the local manufacturers, Engr. Kola Balogun, said that access to and cost of credit is a major impediment to the growth of their production capacity in meeting present and future demand for meters.
He assured the minister of their readiness to support the rapid rollout of meters, but expressed concerns over government’s readiness to put in place clearer incentives for local production as opposed to importation of meters.

https://www.today.ng/news/national/61676/2016-budget-power-ministry-to-spend-n20-6bn-on-electricity?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: 2016 Budget: Power Ministry To Spend N20.6bn On Electricity by Threecrownz(m): 11:21am On Jan 05, 2016
I sha won c light fr my area...#shikena
Re: 2016 Budget: Power Ministry To Spend N20.6bn On Electricity by Vikkie14: 11:22am On Jan 05, 2016
The meeting, according to a statement by the Director of Press, Ministry of Power, Mr. Timothy Oyedeji, was to re-focus attention on the need to rapidly roll-out meters in order to ensure that Distribution Companies (DISCOs) charge electricity consumers only for energy they consume.
That's the only thing that concerns me.
I WANT VALUE FOR MY MONEY AND NO CRAZY BILLING.
Re: 2016 Budget: Power Ministry To Spend N20.6bn On Electricity by emerged01(m): 11:24am On Jan 05, 2016
Happy birthday to me! I wish myself a glorious year
Re: 2016 Budget: Power Ministry To Spend N20.6bn On Electricity by multikolour(m): 11:24am On Jan 05, 2016
I believe in the abilities of FASHOLA, he has done it in Lagos and I believe he will not disappoint us.
Re: 2016 Budget: Power Ministry To Spend N20.6bn On Electricity by Vikkie14: 11:33am On Jan 05, 2016
If you believe we can have sanity in the billing process and that Light can become more stable by God's help, i want just 1 *like* to see the confirmation.
Re: 2016 Budget: Power Ministry To Spend N20.6bn On Electricity by Nobody: 11:40am On Jan 05, 2016
LEAVE TRASH FOR LAWMA grin
Re: 2016 Budget: Power Ministry To Spend N20.6bn On Electricity by ShowYourCertificate: 6:40pm On Jan 08, 2016
2016 Appropriation Bill, also includes the sum of N45, 463,197 for fuelling of its generating plants.
The Power Ministry that's supposed to lead us away from the use of generators is spending N45m on fuelling it's generators. How ironic!

(1) (Reply)

Oh Wow! Checkout This Family’s SWAG / Afdb And Nigeria To Spend $300m On Youth Employment In Agriculture Scheme / Federal High Court To Decide Apc Guber Candidate Faith's In Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.