Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

The Agony Of Eve... (series) (true Life Tales) II - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Agony Of Eve... (series) (true Life Tales) II (734 Views)

Showers Of Mercy - True Life Story / The Agony Of Eve... (series) (true Life Tales) III / The Agony Of Eve... (series) (true Life Tales) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Agony Of Eve... (series) (true Life Tales) II by Labosonline(f): 12:21pm On Jan 05, 2016
"find help" he whispered to me and gave me his two phones. He was held by two men for his back was in a bad shape.
I rushed away and almost fell on the unconscious bike driver who was lying in his own pool of blood. I ran all the way back to the church. Luckily, I collided with some of my church members who were just leaving the church...
In a daze, I saw Dave been carried into the car, in a daze, I got into the passenger' seat calling Dave every minute. I called Wilson his closest friend with his phone, and I told Wilson to get in touch with Dave's brothers.

At the hospital, Dave was rushed into the EU for first aid and I was told to stay out... With my phone, I called my mum and my friend, I was going to give my friend the name and address of the hospital when I ran out of airtime.
Then, I took Dave's phone and sent a message to her instead... I waited until I got the delivery report, and like it was my tradition, I automatically went into the 'sent item' folder to delete the message I just sent...
...as soon as I deleted, the next message in the folder automatically opened! Without meaning to, I went through this message and with mouth opened, I went through the next and the next and some more.
I sat on the hospital bench, willing my life to end. Tears rolling down my face. What an irony... Every message I had lovingly written from my heart and sent to him had been forwarded to another woman...'Pheb' Phebean Enoh! Pain tore through me like an arrow and I whimpered.
A phone amongst the phones I held vibrated and I checked to see which, it was His phone. 'His love' was calling...
Dutifully, like a mistress, I took the phone to him...
"your phone" I whispered to him, wishing he would just take the phone from me so I could just leave-then die.
"who" he asked, pain evident in his voice.
I didnt reply, just shoved the phone in his face and turned to leave.
"Eve,"
I turned to look at him.
"talk to her when she calls again, tell her what's happened" before I knew it, the phone was in my hands! I stared at him with my mouth agape...oh no no no!
I was going to die, there was no alternative...how could he...the phone was vibrating, I looked at Dave, he looked at me and I turned away before he could notice the tears shining in my eyes. I walked out of the EU before punching on the answer key.
"hello" I said in a voice that would win me an Oscar for 'best performance'
"hello Dave" the girl called.
"listen, this is not Dave. Dave was involved in a minor accident a while ago, and presently he is here at 'Balm of Gilead' hospital Federal rd." I heard something that sounded like a little cry, but I didnt care, I had an assignment as soon as this torture was over!
I was going to end the call when I noticed the voice on the other end of the phone was talking to me...

For more, check(www.labosonline.com)

"who are you?" she wanted to know. Unfortunatetly, I was as ignorant as she was...I didnt know who I was...
"enh?"she called impatiently
"a Nurse" I replied soberly, ended the call and began to cry. Luckily for me, no one thought it necessary to ask 'why' they only deemed it fit to console me while we waited...if only they knew that my pain was in tripple folds.

Twenty minutes later, Wilson arrived with Cosmas, Dave's brother. I met them with tears in my eyes looking more bereaved than a widow.
Wilson held me for a while before I led him to the EU. They were shocked...I stood back and watched, I was so far away. I knew it was over, yet I couldn't bear to think of life without Dave.
Wilson and Cosmas met with the Doctor who told them what she already told me...N20,000 deposit would make them commence treatment.
I also saw Cosmas receive a call and step out of the EU...He returned almost immediately with a Lady whom I recognised at once. And once again like a mistress I stepped away to give her space. She looked at me only briefly before she stepped towards Dave holding out to reach for his hands.
Trust me, my eyes were shimmering again. I didnt wait to see the display of emotions between them. I secretly stepped out of the room and wandered into the night. The assignment I had was to die so I did not care the form it would take. I would only mind if I had to stop crying because that was impossible... I couldn't stop crying.
I did not notice how far I had walked away from the hospital, but I suddenly remembered that I still had Dave's phones with me! Like a robot, I turned back and walked blindly towards 'THE BALM OF GILEAD'!

Dave's big brothers had arrived. Treatment had commenced. Phebean was lying on Cosmas' leg and Wilson was talking to her. I could not hear what he was saying but I guessed he was comforting her. Good. What did I expect? To be in her shoes? Oh No! I was just a mistress even though I knew the exact time they began seeing!
I walked away and stepped into the EU. The Doctors were busy, but Dave beckoned to me. With a blank face, I moved to him and placed his phones beside him. The pain killers were effective and he was in less pains even as the Doctors sew. I stood there and stared at him for a while without blinking...He looked at me, not sure what he saw in my eyes but he surprised me by pulling me down in a fierce embrace and I surprised myself by giggling! Wasn't i loosing it? I stepped out of the embrace and smiled...
"I will see you tomorrow" I said. He looked at his wristwatch and shook his head.
"Late" he muttered
"I know" Ordinarily, if hell had roared and spit brimstones, it would not have moved me to leave his side. But outside, plans had been made and I didn't know if she was staying. Naturally, the mistress steps down. "I'll be ok" I told Dave and touched his face.
"Take care" He told me.
"Like you care" I muttered under my breadth and walked away.

I had no intention of 'taking care' as I stumbled blindly out of the premises. Infact, it was the last thing on my mind! In their order of importance, dying was the first on my mind.
"Dave would get better. I was sure. But I would be dead. I was so sure."
Such were the thoughts on my mind as I hid under my duvet weeping. My pain was so great yet I couldn't share. I wanted the whole world to keep seeing Dave as he had being... Sweet, funny and loving. I wanted them to think of him with pity and love as he laid ill...so, my pain was mine alone. I was alone in my agony except for Dave who felt physical pain.
I cried myself to sleep and waited for the angel of death.

Sleep eluded. Death eluded. I arose around around 1:00am, looked at my sleeping neighbor who was snoring gently, evidently asleep. I sat at the dressing table and gazed endlessly into the mirror not seeing myself. I was numb with pain. My eyes fastened on something and I picked it up smiling as I ran my hand lovingly around its texture and shape. It was a sachet of pills. My sleeping pills. I had eight pills left in the sachet...
Slowly, I removed one, then two, then three...would they work? Tears blinded me as I made to open the fourth. God. It was hard. Not dying. Definitely not dying, but it was hard thinking of my family without me. It would break them... It was also hard thinking of a brand new life without Dave who had become my happiness.
I opened my palm, threw one of the pills away and swallowed two. Hopefully, I would sleep and my agony would flee...

However, my agony didn't flee with the night, 'cos there was no night for me.
Dave left the hospital and dutifully, I reported there daily to see him...out of love and duty and every time I got there, there was phebean too. I lost the will to fight or compete, I just sat still and watched things then went home crying...

Tobecontd.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Why Not Try A Little Fan Fiction? / A tale of a stolen car and the Nigerian police experience (story) Episode 1 / Writing Prompts- 10 Random Lines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.