Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? (1932 Views)

Nkechinyere Chidi-Ogbolu, 18-Year-Old PhD Student Supported By GTBank (Photos) / Exchange Rate As Of Today / Naira To Dollar Exchange Rate As At 1983 (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? by DCTrendy(m): 2:24pm On Jan 05, 2016
Hello Nairaland guys,

GTBank has been cheating us and this has to come to an end! The official rate of naira/dollar keeps floating up but GTBank peg down their western union rate to 196.81!

If you walk into their office you get paid at this rate so also on their internet banking platform, even when the rate officially from CBN is 250N and above.

This is totally unfair and unacceptable and has to come to an end! Its a floating rate n GTB has to keep floating with it as well. enough of this 196 rate for so many months now.

Re you experiencing this as well?

They have been scamming me for months now with this hurtful rate.
Re: Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? by abhosts(m): 2:52pm On Jan 05, 2016
Most Nigerian Banks are now into this unwholesome practice. They claim not to have any dollar on ground then buy from you @197 and sell for 270 when you use your Naira Debit Card.
Re: Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? by fbtowner(m): 2:55pm On Jan 05, 2016
Nigeria itself is a SCAM don be deceived and get use to it

Instead of complaining op u can put down your brain and find another way around it.
Re: Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? by DCTrendy(m): 8:16pm On Jan 05, 2016
fbtowner:
Nigeria itself is a SCAM don be deceived and get use to it
Instead of complaining op u can put down your brain and find another way around it.

Brotherly,

This is all about scam and more than me putting my brain down and all that. Let me explain. I am a trader and anytime i need fast money from my trading account, the best way is to use Western Union. charges for money gram is too much.

And if i want to do normal withdrawal it takes 3-4days for the money to arrive in my bank and i wont be paid in dollars(CBN policy which is not too bad, as i sell it to people who need dollar in their dom accounts as well so i still get my 250 rate or so)

But the issue here is the western union payment rate.

How do you work around a western union payment? wanna learn.

Thanks
Re: Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? by diasporaauto: 8:50pm On Jan 05, 2016
I will advice you to look for alternative means and tell whoever that is sending you money from abroad to stop. My best advise is to ask your friend and family members how they send money home and make sure that that family member has legal papers to live in that country, no legally sensible person is willing to put his documents in jeopardy.

Also look for Nigerians buying cars abroad who are willing to pay you naira for your dollars. Am sorry I do face to face, not to risk loosing my money at home.
Re: Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? by phlopholly: 9:42pm On Jan 05, 2016
Dear Op, you need to do a proper research. Official rate for dollar is 199. When you transact on Western union or money gram, they quote thier own rate which is somewhat around 186-197 depending on the market forces at the moment. Even at the point of sending the money, the sender already knows what the rate is and how much the receiver will get. However this will slightly change at the point of collection due to market forces. The 250 naira you quoted is the unofficial rate, which can only be used when trading on the streets/bdc's.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 05, 2016
For me they used 270 for my last transaction of 500 dollars.

It was so annoying.

I had checked online for the official exchange rate and was expecting it to be 199 Naira.

It turned out to be 270 Naira Per Dollar.

Something needs to be done.

Not all transactions are Western Union based. Mine was payment for a service online.

There is no way to easily go around this.
Re: Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jan 05, 2016
Official Rate Is 199!!!!!

Not 250 Op
Re: Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? by gametalk: 12:12am On Jan 06, 2016
Official Rate and CBN rate is 199/$ withdrawal/receiving.
Bilateral rate is 270/$ is when you are using your ATM to buy/Purchase/pay on internet.

Simple!
Re: Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? by estanoni: 5:34pm On Jan 06, 2016
I use to receive money through Western Union at ridiculous rates until a friend introduce me to Sabo-exchnage in USA. They will give you a better rate for your dollar. Call their Nigeria contact on +2349097331093 or USA 469 - 486 -3162

1 Like

Re: Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? by anigold(m): 7:23pm On Jan 06, 2016
abhosts:
Most Nigerian Banks are now into this unwholesome practice. They claim not to have any dollar on ground then buy from you @197 and sell for 270 when you use your Naira Debit Card.

almost all Nigerian banks are doing this.. my banker keep on disturbing to sell my dollars...

THE CLUELESS CBN is the cause of this wahala...
Re: Are You Being Scammed By Gtbank Western Union Rate As Well? by bedfordng(m): 8:51pm On Jan 06, 2016
There is no regulation to combat this broad day light robery. Our banks can only sell high when making payment online but still maintain the official cbn rate when selling to them. They pay you below 199 while they charge over 270. Its just not right.

Its broad day light robery

(1) (Reply)

Can Anyone Pls Direct Me On Where To Buy Wholesale Fashion Items In Dubai&Ajman? / Document Scanning Services In Lagos / Equity Market Continues Bull-run As ASI Gains 0.65%.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.