Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,353 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits (32376 Views)

10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Bananas / Top 5 Nigerian Soups And Their Health Benefits. / 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by ikombe: 12:35pm On Jan 08, 2016
Fkhalifa:
Nobody should come and write every snacks taken has been benefitial back to back angry
every snacks taken has been beneficial back to back, from egg roll to plantain chips to gala but i never add weight undecided .. Iyalaya Anybody tongue
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by ednut1(m): 12:35pm On Jan 08, 2016
minced pie not meat pie grin
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by omololu2020(m): 12:36pm On Jan 08, 2016
VickyRotex:
I miss Akara cry cry
Hot bread and Akara grin grin cry
hot bread and hot akara
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by clevadani: 12:36pm On Jan 08, 2016
Op, gala na snack?
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by Fkhalifa(m): 12:37pm On Jan 08, 2016
ikombe:
every snacks taken has been benefitial back to back, from egg roll to plantain chips but i never add weight undecided .. iyalaya anybody
Egbon if you have written this because of "likes" you can go and get it

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by johnshagb(m): 12:38pm On Jan 08, 2016
ikombe:
dont judge a book by its cover undecided

Not a matter of judging, Just trying to monitor what i put inside my body.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by ikombe: 12:39pm On Jan 08, 2016
Fkhalifa:
Egbon if you have written this because of "likes" you can go and get it
In oshomole's voice . *clears throat*

GO AND DIE undecided
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by ikombe: 12:40pm On Jan 08, 2016
johnshagb:

Not a matter of judging, Just trying to monitor what i put inside my body.
ok sir grin
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by Caspian22(m): 12:46pm On Jan 08, 2016
Lemon12:
What the fucccck is oduduwa?
And when did God gave him Akara to give us ? sad
Its a joke o.. according to Yoruba folklore oduduwa descended from heaven
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by cally3D(m): 12:51pm On Jan 08, 2016
Nice one Collins!
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by Lilimax(f): 12:52pm On Jan 08, 2016
JaredNomak:
Mgbadume!
smiley
I loved that snack while in Secondary School although very strong to chew but
hunger no send am in boarding school those days.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by Histrings08(m): 12:56pm On Jan 08, 2016
ikombe:
dont judge a book by its cover undecided
....that okpa wey no get taste.... Tufiakwa
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by anonimi: 12:57pm On Jan 08, 2016
Caspian22:
Can you survive without snacks? Answer: No. A snack is a small portion of food that can be eaten between meals. We eat snacks when we are bored, stressed out, too tired to cook, or when we can't just get food. So you see, you can't survive without snacks.

Nigerians love snacks and have a lot of them. These snacks are not just handy, they are also delicious. Since we are very creative people, there are many snacks from different regions if Nigeria.
Well today you will see the top ten Nigerian snacks, and because my main goal is to keep you healthy, I added their health benefits.

This list was based on their popularity and partly on their tastiness. As you read focus on the health benefits. Please note that am not a food expert. But I assure you that you will not just learn something new today, you'll also laugh hard. So please let's look at the top Nigerian snacks and their health benefits.

10. Nigerian Buns

8. Egg roll

7. Meat pie

5. Chin Chin

1. Gala

I hope you enjoyed reading. Please don't forget to leave comments.

SOURCE; http://www.youmustgethealthy.com/2016/01/top-10-nigerian-snacks-and-their-health.html?m=1

cc: lalasticlala
ishilove
Seun

PLEASE DON'T COPY AND PASTE THIS POST WITHOUT LEAVING MY LINK.

You tried to do a good job but I am wondering which REGIONS of Nigeria the above snacks are from
Thaanks.

Meanwhile, what about Dodo Ikire made in Osun state?

Dodo ikire is a traditional delicacy from Ikire in South-western Nigeria. It was originally made from leftover plantain but today, people prepare it from fresh ingredients: over-ripe plantains, pepper, oil and salt. Dodo ikire is black and round.

Plantain, which has been peeled, sliced and deep fried is called dodo in some parts of Nigeria.

Legend has it that dodo ikire was created as an experiment by a poor, old lady from a town called Ikire. Ikire is a town in the South-western area of Nigeria between the cities of Ibadan and Ile-Ife, in Osun State.

This old lady had no food left except the over-ripe plantains, which she would have normally throw in the bin, but she decided to mash it all up with some salt and pepper and deep-fry it in palm oil. She ate it, enjoyed it and decided to make more and share with her neighbours.

The end result is what is now known as dodo ikire, named after the town it originated from.

http://www.food.com/recipe/dodo-ikire-nigeria-455552

http://dooneyskitchen.com/dodo-ikire-goes-chic/

http://kscuisine.com/2014/06/dodo-ikire/

http://www.myactivekitchen.com/blog/2015/3/18/homemade-dodo-ikire

[img]http://static1.squarespace.com/static/540cdc91e4b0c6cf504ff323/t/550a09ade4b03cb8b8b05d0b/1426721216807/?format=750w[/img]
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by merrymaker2: 12:59pm On Jan 08, 2016
Mince pie...not meat pienquote author=Caspian22 post=41772261]Can you survive without snacks? Answer: No. A snack is a small portion of food that can be eaten between meals. We eat snacks when we are bored, stressed out, too tired to cook, or when we can't just get food. So you see, you can't survive without snacks.

Nigerians love snacks and have a lot of them. These snacks are not just handy, they are also delicious. Since we are very creative people, there are many snacks from different regions if Nigeria.
Well today you will see the top ten Nigerian snacks, and because my main goal is to keep you healthy, I added their health benefits.

This list was based on their popularity and partly on their tastiness. As you read focus on the health benefits. Please note that am not a food expert. But I assure you that you will not just learn something new today, you'll also laugh hard. So please let's look at the top Nigerian snacks and their health benefits.

10. Nigerian Buns
At number ten we have buns. Buns is a tasty deep fried snack. It is prepared with flour and baking powder. The interesting thing about buns, is that you can enjoy it with any consumable drink (except for alcohol and blood lol).
Buns contains a lot of calories which is somewhat bad. But the health benefits of eating buns are that gives a lot of energy. The flour also contains many vitamins that benefit the heart.

9. Plantain chips
Plantain chips are fried unripened plantain. They are so delicious and can be eaten anywhere.
Plantain chips are very abundant in carbohydrates, which means they fuel the brain, muscles and tissues. Also plantains are a rich source of Vitamin A and C. Which means they are very good for your immune system.

8. Egg roll
Egg roll is one if the most popular snack in Nigeria. It is a deep fried snack made with boiled eggs inside. It is the ideal snack that goes well with water or any soft drink (except for wine).
Just like buns egg roll also contains a lot if carbohydrates and fats. But the presence of boiled egg makes is healthy, as it is very proteinous.

7. Meat pie
Meat pie is an exquisitely delicious snack made with chicken, meat, flour and potatoes. It is a very popular snack among the females in Nigeria. Meat pie works well with ice cream.
When you eat meat pie, you get healthy significantly, because it contains a lot of dietary fibers that prevents constipation and reduces
cholesterol.

6. Okpa
Okpa di oku o!!! That amazing sentence gives joy and probably 'hope' to the people in the eastern part of Nigeria. Its means "okpa is hot". Because it is best eaten hot . The Common name of okpa is Bambara nut fruit. This sumptuous snack, when eaten, fills your belly full.
What are the health benefits of okpa?
Okpa is very rich in proteins, which makes good for growth and development. It is also believed to reduce the growth of infectious diarrhea and promote urinary tract health. So when eating okpa you can be sure to get this health benefits.
5. Chin Chin
You need to have strong teeth to eat chin chin. Chin Chin is commonly known as dough rocks. It is a fried crispy snack that has a crunchy taste.
Chin Chin is the ultimate Nigerian dessert.
Chin Chin is said to have excellent health benefits to the heart.

4. Moin Moin
Moin Moin or Moi Moi is also known as bean pie or steamed bean puddles. This snack is so good they named it twice. It is made from beans and assorted spices. Moin Moin can serve as a side dish with Nigerian jollof rice. It can also serve as an appetizer.
What are the health benefits of Moin Moin? Moin is very very rich in protein content, as in, if protein was money it'd be billgate. It also gives a good amount of energy. Moin Moin is also the best snack for anyone trying to lose weight. Now time the top three,
the ballon d'or of Nigerian snacks.

3. Suya
Suya is the most loved snack in all of Nigeria. If you want to woo a Nigerian lady, give her suya. Suya is basically skewered meat or beef made with various types of spices and herbs. It is very spicy and wickedly delicious.
What are the health benefits of suya? Due to the conditions it is prepared and the way it is packaged, suya is not so healthy to be eaten just anyhow. But if you want to benefit well and enjoy your suya, eat with cabbage, onions and tomato. It's healthier that way. Suya can also help you win her heart. Just kidding.

2. Akara
At number two is akara. Akara is very popular among Nigerians. It's so tasty and wonderful. Am sure God gave the recipe to oduduwa to give us Nigerians. Akara is made with beans and deeply fried in oil. It is the best snack that can be eaten with bread or pap.
What are the health benefits of Akara? Well to benefit from eating akara somehow depends on the oil used in frying it. It should be cholesterol free. However it is rich in dietary fiber, protein and is perfect for weight loss.
Now it's time to find out the number one snack in Nigeria.

1. Gala
Gala is simply sausage roll. But every Nigerian calls it gala. Gala is the most popular, most sold, most eaten snack in Nigeria. It is snack that you eat when you are stuck in traffic, when you are waiting and when someone buys you a free drink. It is practically unforgivable to ban gala in Nigeria.
So What are the health benefits of sausage roll, sorry, gala? It is an easily absorbed source if protein, iron and Vitamin B. It is also good for the reproductive and immune system.

SOURCE; http://www.youmustgethealthy.com/2016/01/top-10-nigerian-snacks-and-their-health.html?m=1

ishilove
Seun

PLEASE DON'T COPY AND PASTE THIS POST WITHOUT LEAVING MY LINK.[/quote]
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by lagosrd: 1:01pm On Jan 08, 2016
Caspian22:
Can you survive without snacks? Answer: No. A snack is a small portion of food that can be eaten between meals. We eat snacks when we are bored, stressed out, too tired to cook, or when we can't just get food. So you see, you can't survive without snacks.

10. Nigerian Buns
At number ten we have buns. Buns is a tasty deep fried snack. It is prepared with flour and baking powder. The interesting thing about buns, is that you can enjoy it with any consumable drink (except for alcohol and blood lol).
Buns contains a lot of calories which is somewhat bad. But the health benefits of eating buns are that gives a lot of energy. The flour also contains many vitamins that benefit the heart.

9. Plantain chips
Plantain chips are fried unripened plantain. They are so delicious and can be eaten anywhere.
Plantain chips are very abundant in carbohydrates, which means they fuel the brain, muscles and tissues. Also plantains are a rich source of Vitamin A and C. Which means they are very good for your immune system.

8. Egg roll
Egg roll is one if the most popular snack in Nigeria. It is a deep fried snack made with boiled eggs inside. It is the ideal snack that goes well with water or any soft drink (except for wine).
Just like buns egg roll also contains a lot if carbohydrates and fats. But the presence of boiled egg makes is healthy, as it is very proteinous.

7. Meat pie
Meat pie is an exquisitely delicious snack made with chicken, meat, flour and potatoes. It is a very popular snack among the females in Nigeria. Meat pie works well with ice cream.
When you eat meat pie, you get healthy significantly, because it contains a lot of dietary fibers that prevents constipation and reduces
cholesterol.

6. Okpa
Okpa di oku o!!! That amazing sentence gives joy and probably 'hope' to the people in the eastern part of Nigeria. Its means "okpa is hot". Because it is best eaten hot . The Common name of okpa is Bambara nut fruit. This sumptuous snack, when eaten, fills your belly full.
Okpa is very rich in proteins, which makes good for growth and development. It is also believed to reduce the growth of infectious diarrhea and promote urinary tract health. So when eating okpa you can be sure to get this health benefits.
5. Chin Chin
You need to have strong teeth to eat chin chin. Chin Chin is commonly known as dough rocks. It is a fried crispy snack that has a crunchy taste.

4. Moin Moin
Moin Moin or Moi Moi is also known as bean pie or steamed bean puddles. This snack is so good they named it twice. It is made from beans and assorted spices. Moin Moin can serve as a side dish with Nigerian jollof rice. It can also serve as an appetizer.
What are the health benefits of Moin Moin? Moin is very very rich in protein content, as in, if protein was money it'd be billgate. It also gives a good amount of energy. Moin Moin is also the best snack for anyone trying to lose weight. Now time the top three,

3. Suya
Suya is the most loved snack in all of Nigeria. If you want to woo a Nigerian lady, give her suya. Suya is basically skewered meat or beef made with various types of spices and herbs. It is very spicy and wickedly delicious.
What are the health benefits of suya? Due to the conditions it is prepared and the way it is packaged, suya is not so healthy to be eaten just anyhow. But if you want to benefit well and enjoy your suya, eat with cabbage, onions and tomato. It's healthier that way. Suya can also help you win her heart. Just kidding.

2. Akara
At number two is akara. Akara is very popular among Nigerians. It's so tasty and wonderful. Am sure God gave the recipe to oduduwa to give us Nigerians. Akara is made with beans and deeply fried in oil. It is the best snack that can be eaten with bread or pap.
What are the health benefits of Akara? Well to benefit from eating akara somehow depends on the oil used in frying it. It should be cholesterol free. However it is rich in dietary fiber, protein and is perfect for weight loss.

1. Gala
Gala is simply sausage roll. But every Nigerian calls it gala. Gala is the most popular, most sold, most eaten snack in Nigeria. It is snack that you eat when you are stuck in traffic, when you are waiting and when someone buys you a free drink. It is practically unforgivable to ban gala in Nigeria.
So What are the health benefits of sausage roll, sorry, gala? It is an easily absorbed source if protein, iron and Vitamin B. It is also good for the reproductive and immune system.

ishilove
Seun

Wonders shall never end. Whoever put this up should be very careful ooooo. U call moi-moi and akara snacks? U for call agbado sisun +ube snacks. Abeg call it the local names.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by cocolacec(m): 1:03pm On Jan 08, 2016
I wonder how a processed food devoid nutrients such as gala makes number 1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by jaymichael(m): 1:07pm On Jan 08, 2016
anonimi:

You tried to do a good job but I am wondering which REGIONS of Nigeria the above snacks are from
Thaanks.

Meanwhile, what about Dodo Ikire made in Osun state?

http://www.food.com/recipe/dodo-ikire-nigeria-455552

http://dooneyskitchen.com/dodo-ikire-goes-chic/

http://kscuisine.com/2014/06/dodo-ikire/

http://www.myactivekitchen.com/blog/2015/3/18/homemade-dodo-ikire

[img]http://static1.squarespace.com/static/540cdc91e4b0c6cf504ff323/t/550a09ade4b03cb8b8b05d0b/1426721216807/?format=750w[/img]
OMG "dodo ikire" I can't miss it for anything anytime I am in Ibadan, coming back to Lagos. Dodo Ikire and aadun. I go "charter" am from those "iya" selling them @iwo road garage. "dodo Ikire re.................. "

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by NegusNagast: 1:11pm On Jan 08, 2016
OP. It's called Mince Pie not Meat Pie.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by Caspian22(m): 1:19pm On Jan 08, 2016
cally3D:
Nice one Collins!
Cally... So you are here. Thanks a lot
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by Caspian22(m): 1:21pm On Jan 08, 2016
NegusNagast:
OP. It's called Mince Pie not Meat Pie.

I just called it names that lay Nigerians will be familiar with. My writing doesn't ever over complicate things. So far you get the point. Thanks 4 ur nice observation anyways
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by lekwas: 1:22pm On Jan 08, 2016
Guguru (Muzungu's call it Pop-Corn)
Made from local dried corn fried in sand or so I guess. To eat it this street snacks, you need it to accompany it with roasted groundnut. Make sure you have ice water by your side.

Kpo-kpo garri alias iphonia
This is a cassava extract common in the Niger Delta area, it is otherwise called tapioca. The fried flakes can be eaten with ggroundnut or edible maggot. You can also make it into a pudding and eaten with fried pork

Kpo-kpo biscuit
Another name for this is 6 to 6 or mgbadu ume.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by Caspian22(m): 1:23pm On Jan 08, 2016
lagosrd:

Wonders shall never end. Whoever put this up should be very careful ooooo. U call moi-moi and akara snacks? U for call agbado sisun +ube snacks. Abeg call it the local names.

Before I put up this post I made sure I browsed the definition of 'snack,' and Nigerian snacks.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by shumuel(m): 1:36pm On Jan 08, 2016
Nice one Op but most on your list are not Nigerian, they were adopted.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 08, 2016
VickyRotex:
I miss Akara cry cry

Hot bread and Akara grin grin cry
sweetheart, me too. think im gonna prepare a basket full tomorrow
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by JaredNomak: 1:52pm On Jan 08, 2016
Lilimax:
smiley
I loved that snack while in Secondary School although very strong to chew but
hunger no send am in boarding school those days.
So you know am...surprised!

Thought it was only those that schooled in Aba knew it.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by DexxyAlebs(m): 2:09pm On Jan 08, 2016
Caspian22:

10. Nigerian Buns

9. Plantain chips

8. Egg roll

7. Meat pie
cholesterol.

6. Okpa
5. Chin Chin

4. Moin Moin

3. Suya

2. Akara

1. Gala

ishilove
Seun

1.) Boli (roasted plantain) and groundnut.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by VickyRotex(f): 2:09pm On Jan 08, 2016
tombravo:
sweetheart, me too. think im gonna prepare a basket full tomorrow

Correct! Just DHL my portion to me. grin
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by VickyRotex(f): 2:10pm On Jan 08, 2016
omololu2020:
hot bread and hot akara

You can say that again. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by DexxyAlebs(m): 2:10pm On Jan 08, 2016
jaymichael:
OMG "dodo ikire" I can't miss it for anything anytime I am in Ibadan, coming back to Lagos. Dodo Ikire and aadun. I go "charter" am from those "iya" selling them @iwo road garage. "dodo Ikire re.................. "
very on point

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 08, 2016
VickyRotex:

Correct! Just DHL my portion to me. grin
where my padis dem dey. i no think 2 go succesfull land in the helipad in my belle.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Snacks And Their Health Benefits by VickyRotex(f): 2:38pm On Jan 08, 2016
tombravo:
where my padis dem dey. i no think 2 go succesfull land in the helipad in my belle.

Okay. Enjoy! embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Recipe: How To Make Nigerian Fried Rice, Full Steps / Weird Or Not? (pics) / See The Monitor Lizard Killed By My Brother This Morning In Our Back Yard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.