Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,141 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why (6043 Views)

Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? / 5 Reasons Why NETFLIX In Nigeria Is A Good News For All / Netflix Is Coming To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Chizak24(m): 10:12am On Jan 08, 2016
Hurray Netflix is now in Nigeria!! Oh yes! subscribe for just $8 monthly and you have full access to all the movies, TV series and shows you love plus so much more. Many have begged and yearned for this service to be usable for Nigerians. Before now, it had geographical restrictions. One had to go into IP masking and VPN’s to be able to use it. Now the chains are broken, it’s a good reason to be joyous.
Netflix-Nigeria-failure
Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Chizak24(m): 10:15am On Jan 08, 2016
Wait first. Before you go dancing shoki in celebratory mode, a closer look at the situation has given us cause for concern. Many questions arise like: Which (affordable, fast & reliable) data plan will we use for this? What happens to our local content? What about the issue of piracy?

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Chizak24(m): 10:16am On Jan 08, 2016
The very first problem we have in Nigeria is poor internet services. 3G network is abysmal in many parts of the country. 4G network ah! That one is almost non-existent except for the service offered by Smile, in a few locations around the country. Is that what we would be using for the Netflix? Aside speed, there’s also big questions marks in areas of stability and reliability. Remember that the ‘service’ is heavy dependent on fast and reliable internet. The country can’t really boast of that now – so make e rest first.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Chizak24(m): 10:18am On Jan 08, 2016
Another issue with Netflix is the lack of local content. Netflix basically it offer content from the Western world. They don’t offer any local entertainment content. Supposing it goes mainstream – unless it’s added later, it would probably further reduce the already dying appeal we have for our local content.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Chizak24(m): 10:18am On Jan 08, 2016
Can we even pay for the service? Recently, government of Nigeria placed some international restrictions on Nigerian ATM cards. With this in place, a willing subscriber to the Netflix service will eventually run into difficulties paying for it. What else could fall in favor of this Netflix sef? :smile:

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Chizak24(m): 10:21am On Jan 08, 2016
We haven’t even talked of piracy, torrent downloads, and the Alaba-boys menace in the country. I’ve watched lots of Netflix shows/movies without even spending a dime on them.
Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Chizak24(m): 10:21am On Jan 08, 2016
Popular titles like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Beasts of No Nation were just copied from people laptops .Worst case scenario, one can easily purchase these movies for less than N200. They know where

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Chizak24(m): 10:22am On Jan 08, 2016
That aside, smart TV’s aren’t even popular here yet. We might not have many people with TV’s compatible with streaming, but then, we can even excuse (or rather skip) this by using other device like mobile phones, laptops or tablets to access the service.
Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Chizak24(m): 10:22am On Jan 08, 2016
From the many factors already going against Netflix, we had better ask them to take it back. The likes of DSTV or Iroko TV have no cause to fear or feel threatened. Until a miracle happens – especially with the internet situation in Nigeria, I see Netflix having more ground to cover before becoming mainstream in Nigeria. Do you think Netflix is useless in a place like Nigeria ? Your thoughts.
Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Chizak24(m): 10:24am On Jan 08, 2016
Source

http://mobilityarena.com/netflix-bound-fail-nigeria-heres/

cc: lalasticlala

I wonder why Nairaland no let me paste the full article once.
Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Youngpo413: 10:54am On Jan 08, 2016
I'm wondering what's so special about Netflix wey person no go hear word again.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 08, 2016
If iroko TV is not popular in Nigeria, I don't see how Netflix can thrive. Most of the old shows on Netflix are already available on cheap DVD with good quality. As for the new shows? How many people actually watch them? I love the walking dead and I download it by torrent 24 hrs after it is aired and its in HD. All the movies on Netflix are available for doanload in torrent sites and one can easily get the pirated DVD. This can only work in a country with strict laws against torrent download and piracy. In a country with stable, cheap, fast and unlimited internet.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by 2kurupt(m): 1:51pm On Jan 08, 2016
I beg to differ:

1. Firstly the rate of internet penetration in the country is unprecedented. True data signals are not wide spread around the country but the amount of upwardly mobile & tech savvy individuals is growing by the day.

2. Let's not forget that data cost is diminishing as the days go by. Don't be surprised if Netflix strikes a deal with network providers in the near future.

3. Saying Iroko tv & DSTV have no need to fear is laughable. I think Iroko is not even a hit because they limited their content to only locally produced movies & shows which most viewers like myself find mediocre (no offence to nollywood, but they need to up their game.) While DSTV thrives on entertainment contents & sports, both of which Netflix got covered.
It might interest you to know that Netflix won't make the mistake of Iroko tv by streamlining their content source therefore don't be surprised they start striking deals with nollywood producers.

4. You talk about piracy & cheap, poor picture quality dvds. That sector is flourishing only because most guys don't see the original, high definition/4k quality of those movies & shows readily available especially when it's released globally. Now tell me, why should I buy a game of thrones season 6 (when it does release) bootleg DVD when I can actually stream same quality & at the same time of official release globally. Your guess is as good as mine.

5. Yes you can't use your naira ATM cards outside the country but that doesn't mean they're totally useless and can't be used for online shopping, even on foreign sites. The banks basically restricted the maximum amounts to be spent on online stores to between 100 to 1500 dollars, depending on your bank.

6. Lastly, smart tv's ain't so big a deal like 2/3 years ago. You can order for a smart tv as low as 50k on jumia or konga. Alternatively peeps are getting cheap Android tv boxes to attach to their flat screen tv's which automatically gives it smart functions.

I think it's a welcome development & it's going to encourage healthy competition or aren't you tired of DSTV monopolistic arrogance? Nigeria needs to develop in all ramifications and these are part of the signs.
I only hope that the government can leverage on this.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by VocalWalls: 6:04pm On Jan 08, 2016
Last year, Naij.com gained a lot by striking a deal with MTN and Operamini for some users to browse for free.

If Netflix is really interested in the Nigerian market, it will get into bed with out Nigerian operators to create a special Netflix package for interested customers.

Besides, If Iroko and Ibaka have been gaining viewership even with our epileptic internet systems, what will stop Netflix?

4 Likes

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by UrbanMystique: 6:28pm On Jan 08, 2016
Yeah right.. Like I would pay money for something I can get for free.

I don't get what is special about the Netflix nonsense. The hype is not even worth it...

Just imagine etisalat advertising netfilx pak for 400 just 2hrs plus .. I mean seriously? I have to pay 400 naira for less down two hours movies? What if I wanna watch movies that are over 3hrs, I have to pay 800 excluding subscription... I laugh I alaba grin

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by armadeo(m): 6:34pm On Jan 08, 2016
If you can afford it then you enjoy it.

Me I love download like mad no time.

I would rather download my favs for a later date than stream. I only stream YouTube.

A good service provider is swift. 32Gb family plan. I can't finish it even with torrent fails. I only download movies and series. Watch you tube for hours on end.

It da bomb

Ps whatever Netflix has to show can be downloaded almost immediately online. At my own pace.

Lol
Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 08, 2016
UrbanMystique:
Yeah right.. Like I would pay money for something I can get for free.

I don't get what is special about the Netflix nonsense. The hype is not even worth it...

Just imagine etisalat advertising netfilx pak for 400 just 2hrs plus .. I mean seriously? I have to pay 400 naira for less down two hours movies? What if I wanna watch movies that are over 3hrs, I have to pay 800 excluding subscription... I laugh I alaba grin

That is not even the case. After paying the 400 and u find out internet is not strong in ur area, streaming Netflix starts to buffer, then u might actually spend 4 hrs streaming a supposedly 2 hours movie, that is double money for u to pay.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Atlantian: 8:07pm On Jan 08, 2016
It is not Netflix that can fail in Nigeria, it is Nigeria that fails in the scheme of things. Nothing ever works here, not even internet bandwidth. It is a failure of Buhari's Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Slikbae: 8:43pm On Jan 08, 2016
Poverty will not make Netflix work in Nigeria. Oh and backwardness too... Which country doesn't have WiFi in this 21st century??

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Olatoman(m): 10:25pm On Jan 08, 2016
With a good data plan, preferably 10Gig upwards, you'll enjoy Netflix.
Been watching "The 100" since yesterday and only issue I have is my battery draining out.
Networks Glo though, can't speak of others.
Its foreseeable that Network Providers create a bouquet for Netflix Subscription also, and yeah, unlimited.
Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 08, 2016
Olatoman:
With a good data plan, preferably 10Gig upwards, you'll enjoy Netflix.
Been watching "The 100" since yesterday and only issue I have is my battery draining out.
Networks Glo though, can't speak of others.
Its foreseeable that Network Providers create a bouquet for Netflix Subscription also, and yeah, unlimited.

10gb is nothing bro. I subscribe for 25gb every month and sometimes I finish it under 2 weeks. What we need is unlimited or at least the option to throttle down the speed when the data cap is exhausted.

3 Likes

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by tempest01(m): 10:54pm On Jan 08, 2016
If iroko tv could try when there were no bundles for it, Netflix (and chill) would work grin...

Especially with the chill

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by autofreak2020(m): 11:13pm On Jan 08, 2016
Some people are already predicting their failure.

Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Programme 2016 application has opened today. http:/tonyelumelufoundation.org/teep/ see you at the top.

You may want to join us.
www.nairaland.com/2850199/thread-tony-elumelu-enterprenuership-foundation#41761342
Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by temitimx19(m): 12:06am On Jan 09, 2016
2kurupt:
I beg to differ:

1. Firstly the rate of internet penetration in the country is unprecedented. True data signals are not wide spread around the country but the amount of upwardly mobile & tech savvy individuals is growing by the day.

2. Let's not forget that data cost is diminishing as the days go by. Don't be surprised if Netflix strikes a deal with network providers in the near future.

3. Saying Iroko tv & DSTV have no need to fear is laughable. I think Iroko is not even a hit because they limited their content to only locally produced movies & shows which most viewers like myself find mediocre (no offence to nollywood, but they need to up their game.) While DSTV thrives on entertainment contents & sports, both of which Netflix got covered.
It might interest you to know that Netflix won't make the mistake of Iroko tv by streamlining their content source therefore don't be surprised they start striking deals with nollywood producers.

4. You talk about piracy & cheap, poor picture quality dvds. That sector is flourishing only because most guys don't see the original, high definition/4k quality of those movies & shows readily available especially when it's released globally. Now tell me, why should I buy a game of thrones season 6 (when it does release) bootleg DVD when I can actually stream same quality & at the same time of official release globally. Your guess is as good as mine.

5. Yes you can't use your naira ATM cards outside the country but that doesn't mean they're totally useless and can't be used for online shopping, even on foreign sites. The banks basically restricted the maximum amounts to be spent on online stores to between 100 to 1500 dollars, depending on your bank.

6. Lastly, smart tv's ain't so big a deal like 2/3 years ago. You can order for a smart tv as low as 50k on jumia or konga. Alternatively peeps are getting cheap Android tv boxes to attach to their flat screen tv's which automatically gives it smart functions.

I think it's a welcome development & it's going to encourage healthy competition or aren't you tired of DSTV monopolistic arrogance? Nigeria needs to develop in all ramifications and these are part of the signs.
I only hope that the government can leverage on this.
Over sense they worry you... Enlightenment is what Nigerians need thanks for that
Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by 2kurupt(m): 7:04am On Jan 09, 2016
temitimx19:

Over sense they worry you... Enlightenment is what Nigerians need thanks for that

Yes o my broda, this country really needs to be enlightened coz this "Nigerian mentality" syndrome is actually what's keeping us backwards.

I bet all these guys looking for excuses why Netflix will fail saying weak bandwidth, alaba bootleg, torrents bla bla bla are the kinda people that predicted the failure of GSM technology, ATM usage etc when they were introduced.

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by 2kurupt(m): 7:11am On Jan 09, 2016
Slikbae:
Poverty will not make Netflix work in Nigeria. Oh and backwardness too... Which country doesn't have WiFi in this 21st century??

That's what people said when GSM was first introduced. But now even Okada riders & pepper sellers use smartphones. Show me a country that's got no pauper.

Learn to look the glass as half full

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by W3xy1(m): 7:45am On Jan 09, 2016
once data is readily available and cheap, all other excuses that guy wrote up there is a minor... give nigerians steady 3.5g network and make it affordable and see them doing wonders

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Alexander001(m): 7:58am On Jan 09, 2016
most internet users in Nigeria are Nigerian students, all this seasonal movies are watched by a particular age group. as a student, Mtn simple server still works like fvck . I can download high quality movies with just #70(5gb) and you expect me to pay $8 to subscribe for Netflix. hmmm remember dollar exchange to naira not be chass(260) and still rising.
Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by yomalex(m): 10:16am On Jan 09, 2016
FlixNet
Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by Slikbae: 5:57pm On Jan 09, 2016
Gsm is a necessity. Netflix is a luxury. That's the difference.

Now Mr, how much is the minimum wage in Nigeria? How many people live below the poverty line? Now how much does it cost to subscribe to unlimited WiFi or data plan monthly that will enable one stream videos endlessly? N20k? N30k? N40k?

Do you know that the cost of subscription for unlimited data plan in Nigeria could amount to thousands of $$ in a year as opposed to about $10 monthly or less in many countries?

Im not saying that NetFlix can't work in Nigeria. I'm saying that until we fix our internet problems then it can never get close to being 30% effective.
2kurupt:

That's what people said when GSM was first introduced. But now even Okada riders & pepper sellers use smartphones. Show me a country that's got no pauper.

Learn to look the glass as half full
Re: Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why by 2kurupt(m): 9:58pm On Jan 09, 2016
Slikbae:
Gsm is a necessity. Netflix is a luxury. That's the difference.

Now Mr, how much is the minimum wage in Nigeria? How many people live below the poverty line? Now how much does it cost to subscribe to unlimited WiFi or data plan monthly that will enable one stream videos endlessly? N20k? N30k? N40k?

Do you know that the cost of subscription for unlimited data plan in Nigeria could amount to thousands of $$ in a year as opposed to about $10 monthly or less in many countries?

Im not saying that NetFlix can't work in Nigeria. I'm saying that until we fix our internet problems then it can never get close to being 30% effective.

Anything you say missy

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Free Apps To Install On Your New Android Phone / How To Watch The Big Brother Naija Show Live On Your Smartphone Or PC Free / MTN Is Giving Free Data 100MB To Browse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.