Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi (3613 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Arrives Onitsha For The Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival- PICTURES / Photos From The Obi Of Onitsha's Palace / Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by toyinakomolafe(m): 3:14pm On Jan 09, 2016
The history of Onitsha is said to have begun with the migration of its people from the Benin Empire towards the end of early part of the 16th century as a result of a wave of unrest, war and displacement unleashed by the Islamic movement from North Africa. One version said that it was during their passage through the outskirts of Ile-Ife that they acquired the name Onitsha, a corruption of Orisha Udo.

Another version has it that their migration to East of the Niger has to do with a misunderstanding that arose between the Onitsha family and Oba Esigie (1404-1550), following the slighting of their shrine, Udo, by the Oba. According to the legend, it was customary for newly installed Oba to pay homage to all important shrines in the Benin Kingdom by slaughtering a cow in the shrines enclave. But Oba Esigie is said to have refused to do this at the Onitsha people’s Udo-Shrine, hence the quarrel and the migration down towards the River Niger area and across it.

Ukpabi disagrees with the Oba Esigie angle and posits that the misunderstanding and migration was rather as a result of “a fight over a farmland. These other people fighting over farmland with the others and interest started coming. And because of interest, bitterness ensued and the two brothers decided to go their separate ways. One said, no, ‘I will now leave you, I’m going to Ado N’Idu.’ ‘Ado’ means border. ‘I will leave you and go and settle down on my own. I’m no longer going to be with you.’ That’s the issue. So, the two brothers had to separate.”

Onitsha, capital of Igbo Kingdom
The immigrant settlers from Benin were said to have been helped by the Igalas to cross the river to settle in Onitsha in the 16th century, which was originally called Ado N’Idu. It soon became the capital of an Igbo Kingdom. In 1857, British traders in palm oil established a permanent station in the city, and Christian missionaries soon followed, headed by Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther (a Yoruba) and Reverend John Taylor (an Igbo).
In 1884, Onitsha became part of a British protectorate. The British colonial government and Christian missionaries penetrated most of Igboland to set up their administration, schools and churches through the river port at Onitsha.

Historically, Onitsha became an important trading port for the Royal Niger Company in the mid-1850s. Following the abolition of slavery, trade in palm kernels and other cash crops boomed around this river port. Immigrants from the hinterland were drawn to the emerging boom town as did the British traders who settled there and coordinated the palm oil and cash crops trade.

Colonial relics and post-colonial architectural wonders
Areas bordering Old Market, New Market Roads, Upper Market Road, Modebe Avenue, Iboku, Old Cemetry, Old Hospital, Mbanugo St, Emejulu St, Obi Street, Benjamin St, Court, Enugu Road, Awka Road, Egerton, etc are known as Whitemen Quarters, so-called because the white colonial masters who first settled in Onitsha, used to live here. And, even till today, the white colonial style of buildings such as you see at Yaba, Ebute Metta and Central Lagos, can be seen existing, side by side, with the new, on these streets.

But much more modern exotic architectural wonders exist in places like the G.R.A and “33” Housing Estates. Sunday Sun understands that SCityGate Real Estate Ltd, located on Mike Ilodibe Crescent and which specializes in building ultra-modern architectural structures, makes such building wonders happen for interested clients. In 1965, a bridge was built across the Niger River to replace the ferry crossing. Today, plans are said to be underway to build the Second Niger Bridge.
Onitsha is made up of three groups of people, Ukpabi reveals. The first is the Edos, the Ezechima’s team. The second, Igalas. They were the people that were fishing at the Niger by the time Onitsha people came to settle there. The third, the Igbos who are very close to the Niger and had integrated with them. These three groups make up what is today known as Onitsha.”

“Their tradition is blended with the three peoples, first the Edos, second the Igalas”, Ukpabi says. “In fact, in the past, there were some villages in Onitsha that spoke Igala. And they are made up of two villages. They are still in Onitsha. Onitsha is made up of nine villages. Two out of the nine are purely the Igalas: Ogbodu and Obigboru. So, that is how Onitsha people came to be.

“The ones with Edo influence are the monarchy itself. That’s the Eze Chima, that is the ruling villages. They are four in number. Umueze Aroli, Okebunabu (which include Umudei and Ogbabu) and Olosi. The present Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Achebe is the 21st Obi of Onitsha.”
Inter-marriages, says Ukpabi, have long existed between the Igalas and the Edos. “The people our ancestors met fishing at the bank of the River Niger were purely Igallas. They were following the Niger all the way from their place to Onitsha. So, they don’t normally come to the upper land. They remain there. They have their buildings in their canoes. So, we attracted them into coming to the hinterland. We started intermarrying with them. One of the outstanding monarchs of Onitsha, Obi Eze Aroli, the mother, Enubi, is from Igala.”
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by Wizprodigy: 6:28pm On Jan 09, 2016
Carry your fake history with no source to back it out of here. Your divide and conquer is dead on arrival. Which igbos come from ile ife? God forbid it. You yorubas will not let igbos rest. You wish you are igbos but bash the igbos openly. This is the highest length of hypocrisy. For your information you cannot tell igbos their history "cultural grabbers". Igbos are from Eri thats why some of their communities have the suffix "eri" in it so get that in your thick skull CULTURAL GRABBERS.

6 Likes

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by toyinakomolafe(m): 6:55pm On Jan 09, 2016
I expect you to provide the right history of onitsha, intead of just ranting here. Onitsha is never igbo and will never be. The people of onitsha know where 5hey belong.
Wizprodigy:
Carry your fake history with no source to back it out of here. Your divide and conquer is dead on arrival. Which igbos come from ile ife? God forbid it. You yorubas will not let igbos rest. You wish you are igbos but bash the igbos openly. This is the highest length of hypocrisy. For your information you cannot tell igbos their history "cultural grabbers". Igbos are from Eri thats why some of their communities have the suffix "eri" in it so get that in your thick skull CULTURAL GRABBERS.

1 Like

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by Wizprodigy: 7:04pm On Jan 09, 2016
Oyah come onitsha come talk wetin you talk. Land grabbers. My people don show una pepper una want come try onitsha even tonyebarcanista, NgeneUkwenu, HopeAtHand, omenka no go fit save you. Please do yourself a favour and close your useless thread.
toyinakomolafe:
I expect you to provide the right history of onitsha, intead of just ranting here. Onitsha is never igbo and will never be. The people of onitsha know where 5hey belong.

1 Like

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jan 09, 2016
toyinakomolafe:

Well, sad day for you.

3 Likes

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:06pm On Jan 09, 2016
Wizprodigy:
Oyah come onitsha come talk wetin you talk. Land grabbers. My people don show una pepper una want come try onitsha even tonyebarcanista, NgeneUkwenu, HopeAtHand, omenka no go fit save you. Please do yourself a favour and close your useless thread.
Wetin concern me with Onitsha?
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by Wizprodigy: 7:19pm On Jan 09, 2016
Oga no vex. Abeg help me tell this guy say onitsha is not yorubaland. Igalas no claim am, na 1 far yorubas they claim am. Chai una sophosticated land no do una? Now na red mud land you want. Abeg oga tonye na wetin i want wey you ask am 4 me. Thank you.
TonyeBarcanista:

Wetin concern me with Onitsha?

1 Like

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by NakedEve: 3:38am On Jan 10, 2016
TonyeBarcanista cheesy
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by bigfrancis21: 3:59am On Jan 10, 2016
toyinakomolafe:
The history of Onitsha is said to have begun with the migration of its people from the Benin Empire towards the end of early part of the 16th century as a result of a wave of unrest, war and displacement unleashed by the Islamic movement from North Africa. One version said that it was during their passage through the outskirts of Ile-Ife that they acquired the name Onitsha, a corruption of Orisha Udo.

Another version has it that their migration to East of the Niger has to do with a misunderstanding that arose between the Onitsha family and Oba Esigie (1404-1550), following the slighting of their shrine, Udo, by the Oba. According to the legend, it was customary for newly installed Oba to pay homage to all important shrines in the Benin Kingdom by slaughtering a cow in the shrines enclave. But Oba Esigie is said to have refused to do this at the Onitsha people’s Udo-Shrine, hence the quarrel and the migration down towards the River Niger area and across it.

Ukpabi disagrees with the Oba Esigie angle and posits that the misunderstanding and migration was rather as a result of “a fight over a farmland. These other people fighting over farmland with the others and interest started coming. And because of interest, bitterness ensued and the two brothers decided to go their separate ways. One said, no, ‘I will now leave you, I’m going to Ado N’Idu.’ ‘Ado’ means border. ‘I will leave you and go and settle down on my own. I’m no longer going to be with you.’ That’s the issue. So, the two brothers had to separate.”

Onitsha, capital of Igbo Kingdom
The immigrant settlers from Benin were said to have been helped by the Igalas to cross the river to settle in Onitsha in the 16th century, which was originally called Ado N’Idu. It soon became the capital of an Igbo Kingdom. In 1857, British traders in palm oil established a permanent station in the city, and Christian missionaries soon followed, headed by Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther (a Yoruba) and Reverend John Taylor (an Igbo).
In 1884, Onitsha became part of a British protectorate. The British colonial government and Christian missionaries penetrated most of Igboland to set up their administration, schools and churches through the river port at Onitsha.

Historically, Onitsha became an important trading port for the Royal Niger Company in the mid-1850s. Following the abolition of slavery, trade in palm kernels and other cash crops boomed around this river port. Immigrants from the hinterland were drawn to the emerging boom town as did the British traders who settled there and coordinated the palm oil and cash crops trade.

Colonial relics and post-colonial architectural wonders
Areas bordering Old Market, New Market Roads, Upper Market Road, Modebe Avenue, Iboku, Old Cemetry, Old Hospital, Mbanugo St, Emejulu St, Obi Street, Benjamin St, Court, Enugu Road, Awka Road, Egerton, etc are known as Whitemen Quarters, so-called because the white colonial masters who first settled in Onitsha, used to live here. And, even till today, the white colonial style of buildings such as you see at Yaba, Ebute Metta and Central Lagos, can be seen existing, side by side, with the new, on these streets.

But much more modern exotic architectural wonders exist in places like the G.R.A and “33” Housing Estates. Sunday Sun understands that SCityGate Real Estate Ltd, located on Mike Ilodibe Crescent and which specializes in building ultra-modern architectural structures, makes such building wonders happen for interested clients. In 1965, a bridge was built across the Niger River to replace the ferry crossing. Today, plans are said to be underway to build the Second Niger Bridge.
Onitsha is made up of three groups of people, Ukpabi reveals. The first is the Edos, the Ezechima’s team. The second, Igalas. They were the people that were fishing at the Niger by the time Onitsha people came to settle there. The third, the Igbos who are very close to the Niger and had integrated with them. These three groups make up what is today known as Onitsha.”

“Their tradition is blended with the three peoples, first the Edos, second the Igalas”, Ukpabi says. “In fact, in the past, there were some villages in Onitsha that spoke Igala. And they are made up of two villages. They are still in Onitsha. Onitsha is made up of nine villages. Two out of the nine are purely the Igalas: Ogbodu and Obigboru. So, that is how Onitsha people came to be.

“The ones with Edo influence are the monarchy itself. That’s the Eze Chima, that is the ruling villages. They are four in number. Umueze Aroli, Okebunabu (which include Umudei and Ogbabu) and Olosi. The present Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Achebe is the 21st Obi of Onitsha.”
Inter-marriages, says Ukpabi, have long existed between the Igalas and the Edos. “The people our ancestors met fishing at the bank of the River Niger were purely Igallas. They were following the Niger all the way from their place to Onitsha. So, they don’t normally come to the upper land. They remain there. They have their buildings in their canoes. So, we attracted them into coming to the hinterland. We started intermarrying with them. One of the outstanding monarchs of Onitsha, Obi Eze Aroli, the mother, Enubi, is from Igala.”

Please don't go about spreading false history. There is nothing close, not even slightly related to Ile Ife or Yoruba about the Onitsha people. The Igbo civilization is a very old civilization, with the Nri civilization coming into fore at about the 9th century AD, 300 years before the Ile Ife civilization came into existence in the 12th century. Please know your place in the timeline of events.

Maybe I should start with how Abeokuta (properly ebe okwute in Igbo language) was originally Igboland the Egba (corruption of Igbo) were originally Onitsha Igbos before driven eastwards? cool

5 Likes

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:42am On Jan 10, 2016
NakedEve:
TonyeBarcanista cheesy
NakedEve angry
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by NakedEve: 7:45am On Jan 10, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

NakedEve angry

kiss
Should I come n visit you in the dream tonight my baby?
I will come dressed sexily I promise.
Or wud u prefer me to come into ur dream dressed naked?
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by agadez007(m): 7:45am On Jan 10, 2016
toyinakomolafe:
come to Onitsha and say this,i triple dare you

whether you go go back to yorubaland with your head still on your neck
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:56am On Jan 10, 2016
NakedEve:

kiss
Should I come n visit you in the dream tonight my baby?
I will come dressed sexily I promise.
Or wud u prefer me to come into ur dream dressed naked?
Why not come now? What is stopping you from coming now?

Dress sexily, I'll strip you naked and do the needful kiss
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by soonest(f): 6:06pm On Jan 10, 2016
There's just something about the igbos other are envious about. Onitsha and ile ife, lwkmd.

1 Like

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by toyinakomolafe(m): 7:11pm On Jan 13, 2016
delusion of the highest order (grandiose delusion) find out the historical link between onitsha and benin. If you check the name of the writer, does it sound Yoruba? CHIKA ABANOBI
soonest:
There's just something about the igbos other are envious about. Onitsha and ile ife, lwkmd.
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by Wizprodigy: 4:04pm On Jan 17, 2016
So now it is no longer ile ife and their connections with yorubas abi now it is with benin? Grandiose delusion is what you are suffering from. Igbos has the oldest civilization in Nigeria(Nok culture is extinct) so there is no way igbos came from benin rather the other way round. So keep your useless history to yourself or rather stuff it in a pigs butt.
toyinakomolafe:
delusion of the highest order (grandiose delusion) find out the historical link between onitsha and benin. If you check the name of the writer, does it sound Yoruba? CHIKA ABANOBI

2 Likes

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by soonest(f): 7:51am On Jan 19, 2016
toyinakomolafe:
Shey visual hallucination is worrying you. Did i doubt the link between onitsha and benin? Did i say the writer is yoruba? Dig up history about your origin or don't you have one? I already know mine.
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by toyinakomolafe(m): 8:16am On Jan 20, 2016
Is someone ranting?
soonest:

Shey visual hallucination is worry you. Did i doubt the link between onitsha and benin? Did i say the is yoruba? Dig up history about your origin or don't you have one? I already know mine.
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by Wizprodigy: 11:00am On Jan 21, 2016
Mr, where is the link to this trash abegi.
So now it is no longer ile ife and their connections with yorubas abi now it is with benin? Grandiose delusion is what you are suffering from. Igbos has the oldest civilization in Nigeria(Nok culture is extinct) so there is no way igbos came from benin rather the other way round. So keep your useless history to yourself or rather stuff it in a pigs butt.[/quote]
Tomorrow, if i open one topic "History of yoruba people" by oluwafemi Adewale. Shey e go be say na yoruba person write the story. Go and solve your problems and leave igbos, na by force?

1 Like

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by OFFICIAL336: 1:07pm On Jan 23, 2016
toyinakomolafe:
Hmm! That thing wey u just yearn, no try am for Onitsha. You be my guy, na why I dey advise you.

2 Likes

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by Masterclass32: 3:48pm On Jan 23, 2016
Oh, its no longer in south south that they are carrying out their 'de-Igbonization' campaign. They're now venturing into the south east. Someone will soon tell us that Awka or Arochukwu is actually not Igbo.

Some people obviously can't wait to meet their own waterloo.
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by lawani: 11:59am On Apr 13, 2016
There was a highly advanced civilization on Earth over ten thousand years ago that could do things we only know as science fiction today. Their various languages, no one alive will be able to understand. The Yoruba call that civilization Ife Oodaye. It was sunk over 10000 years ago and the remnants or survivors established Ife Ooyelagbo, they were far more advanced than us today. Fe means expansion and Ile Fe or Ile Ife means the point on Earth where land rose and started to expand. The first place where human civilization started on Earth. That is the tradition kept in Ile Ife by the Yoruba in songs, stories, national anthem, orikis and etc. It was not made up but passed down from the very beginning. So the Ife tradition started as soon as the Earth became habitable for humans and that may be any number of years ago but the Ife Ooyelagbo tradition started over ten thousand years ago, five thousand years before Igbos and Yorubas became different people. Many things have happened since that time. Kemitic Egypt was established and after several ups and downs, it collapsed and millions of them relocated to West Africa to Ife Ooyelagbo where the languages would have been proto Akokoid surrounded by proto Nupoid, proto Igboid, Edoid, Fon, Ewe and etc in forms that may be difficult to understand today. The language of the Egyptians was adopted over a large swathe of territory encompassing Yoruba, Igala and Itsekiri not farther back than 3000 years ago. Today it is varied into dialects. The spirituality of the indigenous population was carried on but the language changed. A knowledge of the old language is kept among the Awo. A celebration during the Olojo festival in Ife is the Itapa festival which I believe is an indication of the part proto Nupoid past of the Yoruba. The Nupe are called Tapa by the Yoruba while their land is called Enpe and their King called Olu Enpe or Elempe. The Nri Igbos to me, by their language are descended from Ife people who refused to live in huge cities and be under Kings. They were outlaws, they went to live in the forest, groups of them, even before the Egyptians arrived, maybe two thousand years prior to that, living in small villages of 1 to 2 thousand at most. People left them alone with their system, so far they cooperated and did not cause trouble.

The Igalas have Ife on Igala land which is definitely the site of an ancient Ife Olofin, it is said that the Onu of that Ife does not bow to the Attah which indicates seniority prior to the rise of the Attah. This reinforces the Yoruba position and our stories. The Onu of that Ife might belong to a more ancient royal family than the Oduduwa.

Around 1500 years ago, the oracle stopped the selection of a new Olofin Aye in Ile Ife or Ode Ife upon the demise of the old, saying explicitly that a stranger will arrive and that stranger must be made Oba. At around thesame time, the Meccan monarchy claiming descent from Nimrod or Lamurudu was deposed by the Muslims under Prophet Mohammed and the royals fled, probably guided by the oracle as well, they were guided across the Sahara to Ile Ife where their head was crowned Oba and renamed Oduduwa.

Now to the Onitsha question. Onitsha today is Igbo just like Arochukwu and the rest of Anioma but the place was not established by Nri Igbo people. They acquired the culture and tradition through association, trading and intermarriage. A place established by Nri Igbo will have the Osu caste system. Arochukwu, Onitsha were not established by Nri Igbo but by Ife people via Benin and Ife language was their language in the past. There are also Anioma towns established by Igala. Those places were not established by the Igbo Enweghi Eze group, neither was Arochukwu but today, all are Igbos. This is what should be accepted by all.

There is no other group in the world with passed down history, songs and anthems insisting that they are the first human civilization apart from the Ife people. So I believe that all humans are really Ife people.

This of course is my own analysis or thesis based on passed down histories and research works of linguists and etc.

1 Like

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by oboy3(m): 12:55pm On Apr 13, 2016
lawani:
There was a highly advanced civilization on Earth over ten thousand years ago that could do things we only know as science fiction today. Their various languages, no one alive will be able to understand. The Yoruba call that civilization Ife Oodaye. It was sunk over 10000 years ago and the remnants or survivors established Ife Ooyelagbo, they were far more advanced than us today. Fe means expansion and Ile Fe or Ile Ife means the point on Earth where land rose and started to expand. The first place where human civilization started on Earth. That is the tradition kept in Ile Ife by the Yoruba in songs, stories, national anthem, orikis and etc. It was not made up but passed down from the very beginning. So the Ife tradition started as soon as the Earth became habitable for humans and that may be any number of years ago but the Ife Ooyelagbo tradition started over ten thousand years ago, five thousand years before Igbos and Yorubas became different people. Many things have happened since that time. Kemitic Egypt was established and after several ups and downs, it collapsed and millions of them relocated to West Africa to Ife Ooyelagbo where the languages would have been proto Akokoid surrounded by proto Nupoid, proto Igboid, Edoid, Fon, Ewe and etc in forms that may be difficult to understand today. The language of the Egyptians was adopted over a large swathe of territory encompassing Yoruba, Igala and Itsekiri not farther back than 3000 years ago. Today it is varied into dialects. The spirituality of the indigenous population was carried on but the language changed. A knowledge of the old language is kept among the Awo. A celebration during the Olojo festival in Ife is the Itapa festival which I believe is an indication of the part proto Nupoid past of the Yoruba. The Nupe are called Tapa by the Yoruba while their land is called Enpe and their King called Olu Enpe or Elempe. The Nri Igbos to me, by their language are descended from Ife people who refused to live in huge cities and be under Kings. They were outlaws, they went to live in the forest, groups of them, even before the Egyptians arrived, maybe two thousand years prior to that, living in small villages of 1 to 2 thousand at most. People left them alone with their system, so far they cooperated and did not cause trouble.

The Igalas have Ife on Igala land which is definitely the site of an ancient Ife Olofin, it is said that the Onu of that Ife does not bow to the Attah which indicates seniority prior to the rise of the Attah. This reinforces the Yoruba position and our stories. The Onu of that Ife might belong to a more ancient royal family than the Oduduwa.

Around 1500 years ago, the oracle stopped the selection of a new Olofin Aye in Ile Ife or Ode Ife upon the demise of the old, saying explicitly that a stranger will arrive and that stranger must be made Oba. At around thesame time, the Meccan monarchy claiming descent from Nimrod or Lamurudu was deposed by the Muslims under Prophet Mohammed and the royals fled, probably guided by the oracle as well, they were guided across the Sahara to Ile Ife where their head was crowned Oba and renamed Oduduwa.

Now to the Onitsha question. Onitsha today is Igbo just like Arochukwu and the rest of Anioma but the place was not established by Nri Igbo people. They acquired the culture and tradition through association, trading and intermarriage. A place established by Nri Igbo will have the Osu caste system. Arochukwu, Onitsha were not established by Nri Igbo but by Ife people via Benin and Ife language was their language in the past. There are also Anioma towns established by Igala. Those places were not established by the Igbo Enweghi Eze group, neither was Arochukwu but today, all are Igbos. This is what should be accepted by all.

There is no other group in the world with passed down history, songs and anthems insisting that they are the first human civilization apart from the Ife people. So I believe that all humans are really Ife people.

This of course is my own analysis or thesis based on passed down histories and research works of linguists and etc.
anytime i read this guy's post,i normally bursts out into laughter
niggga believes everybody on earth originates from ife

no be only ife na ifunanya

1 Like

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by lawani: 1:16pm On Apr 13, 2016
oboy3:
anytime i read this guy's post,i normally bursts out into laughter
niggga believes everybody on earth originates from ife

no be only ife na ifunanya

I said Yorubas, Ife people, believe all humans originated from the first Ife which to me is more sensible than any theory of the origin of human existence that I know but not all humans acknowledge this, for example, a former Ife people might be conquered by some other Ife people who had been nomads and have forgotten Ife, the Ife people will now assume a non Ife identity which I believe is the case with Igala while what I believe about the origin of Nri Igbos is in that write up but I am not saying Igbos are not Jews, they might have mixed with a few shipwrecked Jews a few years back and assumed that identity which is not much different from what I believe happened to the Igalas.

However these are all beliefs which are different from facts. You as an Igbo man, listen to your stories and come up with a position but a sensible one, to explain the origin of human existence. It is an ongoing work. Far from being concluded.

Igbos are Igbos and Yorubas are Yoruba, Ife people are Ife people. I am not saying people are what they dont want to be but explaining Yoruba or Ife theology here while using the work of linguists and other modern researchers.

So I believe it is nothing to be angry about.

1 Like

Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by Donarozzi: 3:23pm On Apr 13, 2016
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by macof(m): 4:40pm On Apr 13, 2016
funny people on nairaland.

why not just face history the way it is instead of sitting down and inventing stories
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by ariesbull: 9:39pm On Apr 13, 2016
Sometime I wonder how Yoruba people some anyway reason ..is not only ife but ify
Nonsense
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by ariesbull: 9:42pm On Apr 13, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Please don't go about spreading false history. There is nothing close, not even slightly related to Ile Ife or Yoruba about the Onitsha people. The Igbo civilization is a very old civilization, with the Nri civilization coming into fore at about the 9th century AD, 300 years before the Ile Ife civilization came into existence in the 12th century. Please know your place in the timeline of events.

Maybe I should start with how Abeokuta (properly ebe okwute in Igbo language) was originally Igboland the Egba (corruption of Igbo) were originally Onitsha Igbos before driven eastwards? cool

They said Benin are from ife
They said ijaw from ife
They said the world started from you ife

Yoruba historians are funny
Now Onitsha again

Yeye smelling daily
Re: Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi by lawani: 4:42am On Apr 14, 2016
The King of Borgu claims he is number 315 on that throne and there is no reason to disbelieve the position. The current Ife has had only 51 Kings for the present dynasty while the previous one had at least 90, totalling a minimum of 141. So even 500 thousand years ago, people were living in Nigeria which is why all the stories of migration are funny stories. The Yoruba or Ife people were never nomads at anytime. They have always being sedentary.

(1) (Reply)

Beauty Of North Central Women (nupe, Ebira , Gwari Etc) / The Nairaland Culture Carnival / Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.