Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Doctors, Why Injecting Via Limbs Instead Of The Conventional Buttock Method - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors, Why Injecting Via Limbs Instead Of The Conventional Buttock Method (643 Views)

Blood Is Coming Out Of My Nose Instead Of Mucus / Nigerian Surgeon Removes Lady's Ovary Instead Of Her Appendix / White Man Turns Dark After Injecting Himself With Controversial Drug (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors, Why Injecting Via Limbs Instead Of The Conventional Buttock Method by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jan 11, 2016
Few months ago I went to a medical center for treatment, after the whole exercise, I was told that I will be given injection. I said no problems, so I was trying to loose my trousers when the nurse said I should not worry, the injection will be administered through the hand. I know the injection is not an anti-tetanus.
So, Doctors in the house please i want to know why some injections are administered through buttocks and some via the hands. I also notice the hand(via the veins) method is becoming popular.
Re: Doctors, Why Injecting Via Limbs Instead Of The Conventional Buttock Method by otobrisesarah(f): 12:56pm On Jan 11, 2016
It is used for particular forms of medication that are administered in small volumes. Depending on the chemical properties of the drug, the medication may either be absorbed fairly quickly or more gradually. Muscles have larger and more blood vessels than subcutaneous tissue and injections here usually have faster rates of absorption. Am not a Doc sha!
Re: Doctors, Why Injecting Via Limbs Instead Of The Conventional Buttock Method by exe0(m): 1:00pm On Jan 11, 2016
cos we done tiya to dey c yanch

1 Like

Re: Doctors, Why Injecting Via Limbs Instead Of The Conventional Buttock Method by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 11, 2016
Viewing this board:
HelenaMag, Firstman01, firstlady01 ( f ),

Firstlady01, why are you sitting side-by-side Firstman01? grin

2 Likes

Re: Doctors, Why Injecting Via Limbs Instead Of The Conventional Buttock Method by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 11, 2016
Kk
Re: Doctors, Why Injecting Via Limbs Instead Of The Conventional Buttock Method by Juxtified(m): 1:08pm On Jan 11, 2016
Firstman01:
Few months ago I went to a medical center for treatment, after the whole exercise, I was told that I will be given injection. I said no problems, so I was trying to loose my trousers when the nurse said I should not worry, the injection will be administered through the hand. I know the injection is not an anti-tetanus.
So, Doctors in the house please i want to know why some injections are administered through buttocks and some via the hands. I also notice the hand(via the veins) method is becoming popular.
Depends on the type of injection.
There are some that can either be given through the veins (intravenous) or through the buttocks or any other large muscle area like thighs, upper arm (intramuscular). The intravenous usually work faster than the intramuscular injections, but each in most cases have different chemical properties.

1 Like

Re: Doctors, Why Injecting Via Limbs Instead Of The Conventional Buttock Method by eyinjuege: 6:53pm On Jan 11, 2016
exe0:
cos we done tiya to dey c yanch

grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

I can imagine
Re: Doctors, Why Injecting Via Limbs Instead Of The Conventional Buttock Method by Lagusta(m): 8:45pm On Jan 11, 2016
Juxtified:

There are some that can either be given through the veins (intravenous) or through the buttocks or any other large muscle area like thighs, upper arm (intramuscular). The intravenous usually work faster than the intramuscular injections, but each in most cases have different chemical properties.

you are correct....

there are some drugs that can't be given in the muscle bulk, either due to some side effects of it may not even be absorbed....

while there are other drugs that can never be given through the vein, or the patient would die within seconds....

and there are drugs that can be given both in the muscle and the vein....

so don't worry, trust your doc/nurse/pharmacist.....

2 Likes

Re: Doctors, Why Injecting Via Limbs Instead Of The Conventional Buttock Method by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 25, 2016
Juxtified:

Lagusta:

you are correct....
there are some drugs that can't be given in the muscle bulk, either due to some side effects of it may not even be absorbed....
while there are other drugs that can never be given through the vein, or the patient would die within seconds....
and there are drugs that can be given both in the muscle and the vein....
so don't worry, trust your doc/nurse/pharmacist.....

Thanks. Now I know better.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

7 Important Things You Need To Know About Lassa Fever / All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever / Flat Tummy O

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.