Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,668 members, 7,809,521 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:51 AM

Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention (14254 Views)

Patience Jonathan Sues EFCC For N200m / 32 SANs Accompany Rickey Tarfa To Court, Sues EFCC For N2.5billion / Saraki: Kennedy Izuagbe Sues EFCC To Prevent Arrest (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by chesterlee(m): 9:28am On Jan 12, 2016
Lagos Lawyer and human rights activist, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, has asked the Federal High Court, sitting in Lagos, to order the immediate release of Chief Olisa Metuh, the spokesman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, from the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
Olisa Metuh was arrested by the operatives of EFCC on January 5, in his house in Abuja and has been in custody since then, without access to his family and lawyers or doctors.
In the suit, No. FHC/L/CS/21/2016, filed against the EFCC and Attorney-General of the Federation, Adegboruwa is contending that under section 35 of the 1999 Constitution, the EFCC has exceeded the maximum time allowed by law for the detention of a citizen, without trial in any court.
He is also praying the court to restrain the respondents, whether by themselves, their servants, agents, privies whosoever from further constituting a threat to the life, liberty and freedom of the applicant either through arrest or by physical abuse or violence either generally or for the purpose of preventing or disturbing their free movement in any part of Nigeria.
He also want an order of the court, directing the respondents, whether by themselves, their servants, agents, privies or otherwise howsoever to forthwith release the application from unlawful custody.
He is praying the court to declare that “The respondents are not entitled to arrest, detain or in any other manner restrict the liberty of the applicant on account without charge in flagrant violation of the Applicant’s fundamental rights guaranteed under sections 35, 38, 40 and 41 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 and Articles 4, 5, 6, 9, 12 and 14 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights Act, Cap. 10, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.”p
*A declaration that the arrest of the applicant by EFCC on January 5, 2016 at his home at No.14, Drive 1, Prince and Princess Estate, Abuja, constitutes a flagrant violation of the applicant’s fundamental rights guaranteed under sections 33, 34, 35, 38, 40, 41, 42, 43 and 44 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 and Articles 4, 5, 6, 12, & 14 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, and is ultra vires, null and void and unconstitutional.
*A declaration that the detention of the applicant by EFCC on January 5, 2016 at an unknown location, without access to his lawyers, family and doctors, constitutes a flagrant violation of the applicant’s fundamental rights guaranteed under sections 33, 34, 35, 38, 40, 41, 42, 43 and 44 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 and Articles 4, 5, 6, 12, & 14 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, and is ultra vires, null and void and unconstitutional.

Source: www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/metuh-sues-efcc-over-detention/

4 Likes

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by chesterlee(m): 9:45am On Jan 12, 2016
If Efcc have the right evidence that Metuh erred, why not sue him?

Holding him in their cells and forcing him to pay some 'imaginary money' is barbaric and should be condemned!

cc Lalasticlala

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by GOFRONT(m): 9:45am On Jan 12, 2016
It's all about GOAT and YAM

3 Likes

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by sukkot: 9:51am On Jan 12, 2016
hmmmm this metuh na stubborn goat

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by iteleaye(m): 9:51am On Jan 12, 2016
Ode

2 Likes

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by looseweight: 9:51am On Jan 12, 2016
Efcc is not trying @ all.

Y not try this man in the court of law and give the court its power to prosecute him..

I guess you don't have enough evidence to present him in the court of law.

I am of the thought that most of the corrupt people will be asked to return their loot or risk going to prison.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by Zico5(m): 9:51am On Jan 12, 2016
To release the people that took us back 20 years. The system already on ground will never allow that. Whatever it may take, our common looted funds must be returned, whatever the ethnicity, yoruba, igbo or hausa; nobody should be spared. Buhari should never be swayed by anybody no matter the personality. All we re clamoring for is better Nigeria that we all will be proud of.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by Pidggin(f): 9:51am On Jan 12, 2016
Good! The man knows his rights unlike other cowards. EFCC should have charged the man to court if they think he is guilty. Intimidation and harrasment is not the way forward.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by NobleAngell(f): 9:51am On Jan 12, 2016
Metuh you deserve an award for 'The thief with the biggest balls'. U are guilty and reporting your punisher. I admire your guts.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by bluaero(m): 9:52am On Jan 12, 2016
Hmm watching all these in 3D.

This is the reason i will never waste my time with voting for thieves and selfish things called politicians.
Politics in Nigeria is all about looting and sharing - it doesn't matter if it's PDP, APC or whoever. The welfare of the masses mean nothing.
Whether you want to admit it or not, the current "anti-corruption war" is simply a war against the opposition of the ruling party and the settling of a personal score between someone and some persons.

The Boko Haram menace was a tool used to effectively evict the previous government but could not be contained afterwards (as neither the ruling party nor the opposition fully understood the threat of the insurgency). The menace was also another avenue for politicians to loot with reckless abandon (as usual). The death and abduction of innocent nigerians meant nothing to both parties.

My predictions:

1. Due to increase in the number of surprising names involved in the arms deal scandal, the DasukiGate story will die a natural death.

2. The current government will be criticised and another familiar political ancestor who will be seen as more capable will rule us again while the youth will keep growing white beards.

3. The masses will continue to back selfish politicians and forget about their worsening predicaments.

Nigerian youths be wise!!! Focus more on developing yourselves and desist from being political tools of selfish individuals. Leave trash for LAWMA.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by Demmocrats(m): 9:52am On Jan 12, 2016
Do looters have rights

3 Likes

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by olaolulazio(m): 9:52am On Jan 12, 2016
Fuuuuck that shit! Baba iya eyan!! Every fuuucking arrest was a sue. Court ti take over!

Egbon Metuh, if u can't stay in dat cell, u can move to prison.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by BIGTinfotech: 9:52am On Jan 12, 2016
It looks like egbon Olisah Metuh wants to spend the rest of His life in prison.

You can't have such kinda evidence against you, and even Having confessed to some...you now want to be forming jack bauer in prison. You go grow white beards...

No to even talk of say PMB no dey look face.

Besides, Dopkesi Has tasted something...little wonder He sent His son to Aso Rock with a beautiful card for PMB grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by makazona(m): 9:52am On Jan 12, 2016
I so much hate the way suspects are demonized in this country. If the Law enforcement/Anti-graft Agencies feel that they have anything against anybody, they should get their hands on solid pieces of evidence and not arresting a "perceived thief" with bogus accusations only to keep their accused in detention while they search for/manufacture their "evidence".

What happened to "Innocent until proven guilty"? or is it now "Guilty until proven Innocent"?

18 Likes

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by moscyt(m): 9:52am On Jan 12, 2016
Let him return the money he collected from the 2.billion arms deal money

1 Like

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by anonimi: 9:53am On Jan 12, 2016

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by Nobody: 9:53am On Jan 12, 2016
hahahahahaha metuh you haven't seen anything yet.

4 Likes

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by ultimateballer: 9:53am On Jan 12, 2016
I can't wait for metuh to be released. He will finish Buhari and APC grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by braine(m): 9:53am On Jan 12, 2016
grin
Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by tommykiwi(m): 9:54am On Jan 12, 2016
Better.. EFCC have no right to detain him this long without charging him to court.

3 Likes

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by jammyunn(m): 9:54am On Jan 12, 2016
Let the politics begin.
Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by odepacy: 9:54am On Jan 12, 2016
My brother you don't have to sue them because they are doing their work, all you have to do for yourself and the good people of Nigeran is to tell them all you known about the money

6 Likes

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by Wordsmith01: 9:54am On Jan 12, 2016
Though I proudly support probing of corrupt people but let us abide by the law , even if it's glaring that a thief is a thief , let the law say so , even a murderer caught with blood stains , knife and a dead body is still a suspect. Please treat him as such .

10 Likes

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by saintkel(m): 9:54am On Jan 12, 2016
Dear EFCC, u guys are a disgrace o, I tot its wen u have a proof, u invite d person n if d person refuses to concur u now sue such to court. Wots all dis about forceful detention?

14 Likes

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by blinkmoneyo(m): 9:55am On Jan 12, 2016
metuh hunger done tire u? na my formal spot u dey.. check under d bed I keep one biscuit for there.
Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by dammytosh: 9:55am On Jan 12, 2016
you collect 1.2Billion or not ?

One cool thing about all these armed robbers called politician is that.

They will never come out to fight that they are not thieves. The SAN they employ will either say :

1. The court process is flawed.

2. There is no jurisdiction.

3. Their fundamental right of stealing is being violated.

plenty nonsense.

ignorant masses like Pa Shukwudi will scream.

Witch Hunt.

WHen RIBADU was there and he was arrsting PDP big wigs, they said it is witch hunt against Obasanjo's Enemy

Now Magu is there arresting PBD Big WIg, they said Buhari is witchhunting opposition.

Bunch of criminals.

I don't blame them, i blame the masses who have traded their future for a bag of rice and can never see anything wrong with their benefactor.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by AMPLIFY: 9:55am On Jan 12, 2016
And the plot thickens...
Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by Benjom(m): 9:55am On Jan 12, 2016
Nigeria will be better again.
Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 12, 2016
Buhari has no evidence against Mutuh...It's just in a bid to removing him from the way cos' the dude has been firing apc from all cylinders...

Buhari wants to kill opposition, then face social media next..After that, he declares himself the "everlasting president" like his brother Mugabe...

Make una no worry zombies, e go soon clear for una eye...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by mcfynest(m): 9:56am On Jan 12, 2016
Did you chop money? Time will tell..... undecided

Hi all, i am here again.

There are quality T-shirts, Round neck, v-neck wears for you at #1000 per piece.

Call/whatsapp- 08036024681
Bbm-591DA96C

Contact- lagos/ibadan

@mcfynest Store- we give you quality for your cents

Check them out here
Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by jhydebaba(m): 9:56am On Jan 12, 2016
Sorry metuh

I can see you are enjoying the change

As evidenced in your new appearance.

1 Like

Re: Metuh Sues EFCC Over Detention by banio: 9:56am On Jan 12, 2016
If EFCC releases him, DSS will arrest him and vice versa. Its called buharism arrestation

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Plot To Oust Odigie-oyegun Thickens As ‘forces’ Want Him Named Ambassador / We've Paid June Salaries Without Federal Allocation, Says Ugwuanyi / Governor Fayemi Hosts Elderly Widow, Offers Her Daughter Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.