Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,778 members, 7,820,718 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe (36093 Views)

Nigerians React To The Demolition Of Otodo Gbame In Lagos / Wike Supervising The Demolition Of Cultists' Hideout / The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos By Joe Igbokw (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by icon8: 11:34am On Jan 13, 2016
The bible says,"you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." I have heard a lot of outpouring of emotions about the demolition of OSHODI Market by the LAGOS State Government led by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode last week. I heard Ohaneze, l heard CD South East, and l heard some Igbo groups in Lagos.

The summary is that Gov Ambode has declared war on Igbo Traders in Lagos because they did not vote for him in the last elections. Now the truth must be told: Former Governor Babatunde Fashola had planned to evacuate that market right inside the Oshodi Roundabout loop since 2007 when he came into office. The location of that market was not only an eyesore, but mindsore, mouthsore and headsore. An expert Engineer Eke, the new Controller of Works in Lagos tells me that Loops/cloverleaf are meant for drainage basins for the road and should be a green area not market. A committee was set up to plan a relocation. I was in that committee and Mr. Ben Akabueze was also in that committee. We held several meetings at Oshodi Isolo Local Govt with the market leaders. A lot of politics, mistrust, blackmail and ethnicity played itself out on where to take the market to. Govenor Fashola stopped the committee and forged ahead to secure a place at ISOPAKODOWO Market now called OSHODI Resettlement Market.

This new market has been there for years and these traders refused to relocate. Fashola left office without moving the market even though he cleared the bigger problem and the bigger mess called Oshodi. But the plan to relocate the market has been in the front burner. Ambode moved in last week to do the needful when all the avenues of dialogue which have been going on in the last 8 years failed to yield positve results.

A similar case happened in Berger Auto dealers Market. For 8 years Governor Fashola also tried to move that market to Mowo near Badagry but the traders resisted it with every energy at their disposal. At a time an Igbo Patriot Engineer Mgbemena, a former Federal Cotroller of Works in Lagos offered to help broker the deal . Everything was going fine until one of the dealers headed to Court to secure an injunction to stop the relocation. Out of annoyance Governor Fashola said he will wait for the courts to decide knowing fully well that Berger Auto Market remains a bad advertisement on the way we do business . Businesses like that are not done on the highways anywhere in the world. I was in a meeting where Engr. Mgbemena was apologizing to the governor for the misconduct of the Autor dealers in resisting change in a dynamic society like Lagos. He asked the Governor to give him another chance but did he succeed ? The rest is now history.

Now enter Ladipo Market in Mushin Local Government area and the leadership of Ladipo Market Traders Association have agreed few years back to rebuild the market. They agreed they will do it in batches to minimize loses. A date was set aside for the construction to start but the traders were not ready to move. On a certain day the Contractor who incidentally is an Igbo young man moved in with his equipment and hell was le loose. He was losing money on borrowed funds. Ohaneze Ndigbo Lagos went to town to address a press conference that Igbo Traders are being intimidated by the government of Lagos State as a result of fallout of 2015 elections. Before you know it other Igbo groups went to town with their defeatist attitude. Myself and other members of The Igbo Conscience ( TIC) called a meeting with all the stakeholders. All the leaders of the Markets were there including the leadership of the Mushin LGA Led by the Executive Secretary and the Contractors. After weeks of high level engagements we set October 1st as the D day. The rest is now history. Go to Ladipo Market and see the modern Market standing like colossus with all the trappings of good thinking and good result. Commonsense, even though it is not common, worked. Intervention worked. Sound reasoning worked. Spirit of give and take worked.

Now our people must hear this: Lagos State government I know is working hard to change the face of Lagos and we must not resist change because the change is for the good of all and sundry. We must be wise enough to know when to shift ground for the good of the commonwealth. Defeatist attitude and persecution complex is not the way to go at a time like this. Igbo leaders in Lagos must help our traders to respect constituted authority in their own interest . I have lived in Lagos for close to 35 years and I serve the Lagos State Government . I know enough to realize that our people must change their attitude to live in peace with other Nigerians. I rest my case.

Joe igbokwe

Lagos

http://saharareporters.com/2016/01/13/truth-about-demolition-owonifari-market-oshodi-lagos-joe-igbokwe

Cc: lalasticlala mynd44

146 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 11:43am On Jan 13, 2016
Victim attitude of igbo should stop

108 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by B69U: 11:45am On Jan 13, 2016
They have sent their paid apologist to come and tell us their mind.

When will yorubas accept responsibility for their action and tell themselves the truth, even though they are natural liars?

Which SE/SS person listen to Joe?

U cant tell us how to think even with a 1000 media outlets, ur action speaks louder than words.

We are watching you.

70 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by byteem: 11:59am On Jan 13, 2016
BETTER PEOPLE DEY TALK THIS ONE SEF DEY TALK... LEAVE TRASH FOR LAWMA.... ABI LAWMA SEF GO REJECT THIS TRASH.... JUST AS HIS OWN PEOPLE HAVE REJECTED HIM...

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by VintageCocktail(m): 12:40pm On Jan 13, 2016
tuale4u:
Victim attitude of igbo should stop
Try to use this to avoid developing cardiac arrest on Igbo matters.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by seunny4lif(m): 1:19pm On Jan 13, 2016
Na everytime we dey hear the story behind the demolition undecided
So governor of his state must beg igbo before he work in his state angry
Mimiko no demolish many markets for akure ni angry even the back of akure centre mosque and arakale road angry
Today we like am cos the back of mosque na cars park now and arakale na dualise road with street lights, 3 diff car parks for arakale now grin grin
My mama shop dey then shocked
The Lagos government for called Akure youths make dem use flogging reset dere brain grin grin
If you no understand this my real English go die grin

103 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jan 13, 2016
cry babies. ride on ambode and buhari na we dey here.

14 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 13, 2016
cheesy in the voice of jobless ipo-Brainless youths; Joe igbokwe is a yoloba man from the Southwest. He is a coward cheesy

85 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by brunofarad(m): 1:42pm On Jan 13, 2016
But I thought lagos govt gave prior written notice to that effect

6 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by Hygist1: 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2016
why wont you beg them are they not Nigerians this my questions will cause a problem i know

Main Reason the market was demolished

http://www.hygist.com/2016/01/reason-for-demolition-of-owonifari.html
Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by highmood(m): 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2016
For the case of the oshodi demolition, I think the location of that market is not ideal. But telling me the destruction of people livelihood is justified, I think someone must be high on something. For Ladipo Main market, I think there is a controversy and a hidden truth. I am not against change but when change is beyond the reach of an average man, then suffering is been compounded. A clear example is that of tejuosho shopping complex, where the building is now by itself.

4 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by allanphash7(m): 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2016
Brb
Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by richidinho(m): 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2016
Now our people must hear this: Lagos State government I know is working hard to change the face of Lagos and we must not resist change because the change is for the good of all and sundry.

i like this
In Nigeria you cant get anything done without using force

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by Daslim180(m): 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2016
OK
Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2016
Known
Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by Gsmooth51: 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2016
The location of that market was not only an eyesore, but mindsore, mouthsore and headsore.
grin grin

5 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by dtracker: 1:44pm On Jan 13, 2016
okay
Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by ultrazone(m): 1:44pm On Jan 13, 2016
Ok
Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by missKiffy(f): 1:45pm On Jan 13, 2016
I don't know why they are like that, always heating up the polity, crying foul all the time, playing the victim card, including shouting marginalisation at any little thing, my question is are they the only tribe in Nigeria, are people from other tribes not suffering in this country too. Abeg let them leave trash for Lawma jare lipsrsealed

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by ishiamu(m): 1:45pm On Jan 13, 2016
Joe igbokwe is a foolish psycophant who will do anything to keep his job... one day he will be sacked and it will dawn on him what he did to himself

7 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by freshness2020: 1:45pm On Jan 13, 2016
ccc
Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by Nihilist: 1:45pm On Jan 13, 2016
Raumdeuter what do you have to say about this? grin
Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by chynie: 1:46pm On Jan 13, 2016
if the south declare war on you then go home and establish there must u died in lagos

8 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by Mopolchi: 1:46pm On Jan 13, 2016
Okay, this Joe Igbokwe don too dey show himself. I doubt if say the man na onye Igbo. E fit be say e follow for those people wey their mama tell them say they be Igbo.
Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by Kx: 1:46pm On Jan 13, 2016
icon18:

The summary is that Gov Ambode has declared war on Igbo Traders in Lagos because they did not vote for him in the last elections.
Joe Igbokwe

Everything about the report runs contrary to the sentence above. How was the above smuggled into the report?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by obailala(m): 1:47pm On Jan 13, 2016
I have realised something under the sun, the Igbo victim mentality will never stop. The Igbo persecution complex will also never stop.

This is a psychological manipulation that has been instigated by dubious leaders over time using the civil war as its foundation, it may never end maybe except if Biafra is actualised, then it will become clear to all, the scales will fall off the eyes of the people that they've allowed themselves to be taken for a ride for so long by greedy leaders.

35 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by WisdomTank: 1:48pm On Jan 13, 2016
Op, God bless you.

Check my signature for your building POP ceiling, Wall Screeding and Pillar Designs.

6 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by chesterlee(m): 1:48pm On Jan 13, 2016
Mr Joe Yorubakwe is always off point!

Bastard of many colours!!!
Re: The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe by obailala(m): 1:49pm On Jan 13, 2016
ishiamu:
Joe igbokwe is a foolish psycophant who will do anything to keep his job... one day he will be sacked and it will dawn on him what he did to himself
For how long shall Igbos continue to antagonise and blame every one else (but ourselves) for our woes?

26 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ambode Sacks Deji Tinubu As Lagos Sports Commission Boss / Vandalism. FG Threatens To Block 2nd Niger Bridge / Femi Adesina On Sowore’s Rearrest: Less Than 100,000 Nigerians ‘Making Noise’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.