Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,081 members, 7,821,714 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. (630547 Views)

23-year-old Zambian Pilot Fulfills Dream Of Flying Parents / Opportunity For Nurses And Midwives To Work In Dubai / Working Abroad Illegally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 7:23am On Apr 18, 2017
salford:
i do not know about the penalty rate..not a common term here. The job contract job i worked at was at a children hospital, and the a zimbabwean nurse said he only gets about two 8hrs shift a week. He works casual shifts at a care home to make ends meet. He has been at the hospital for over 2years ... and it seems they are not interested in offering him a full time position.
I heard nurses in the northern parts of provinces get paid well with lots of overtime, but who wants to live in a frozen desert? ...lol
i do not know about the wages in the US but most of the nurses i have met would migrate to the US if it was very easy. The US had recruiters coming over to canadian universities in years past, but i think times have changed.

Penalty rates here are like shift work. For example a nurse who does afternoon shift earns more per hours than the one who did the morning shift. The one who did night shift will earn more than the Pm an Am. It is also called shift loading.

Working weekends is another good pay entirely. I am just curious at what the % loading is for each shift aside from morning shift ofcourse

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by salford: 7:23am On Apr 18, 2017
WellEndowed:

So does your work wife get penalties for working pm shift, night shift, weekend and over time?
i understand now.
She does get extra for overtime. Nothing for others though.

for nurses in AHS
I just remembered now that nurses on night shift with alberta health services make an extra 5 CAD per hour for night shift.
Regular wage on weekends. Overtimes and hols are 2.5.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 7:25am On Apr 18, 2017
salford:

She does for overtime. Nothing for others though.

I just remembered now that nurses on night shift with alberta health services make an extra 5CAD per hour for night shift.

So say the nurse earns 21.55 base hourly rate, they earn same on weekend?
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by salford: 7:27am On Apr 18, 2017
WellEndowed:

So say the nurse earns 21.55 base hourly rate, they earn same on weekend?
As far as i know with health jobs in canada. weekends make no difference. you only get premiums on night shifts, overtimes and holidays.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 7:28am On Apr 18, 2017
salford:

i understand now.
She does get extra for overtime. Nothing for others though.

for nurses in AHS
I just remembered now that nurses on night shift with alberta health services make an extra 5 CAD per hour for night shift.

Is it the same as in the US? Regular wage weekends?

2.5 is that 2.5 CAD?
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 18, 2017
salford:

As far as i know with health jobs in canada. weekends make no difference. you only get premiums on night shifts, overtimes and holidays.

Talk about learning. Thank you so much. Very informative smiley

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by salford: 7:30am On Apr 18, 2017
WellEndowed:

Is it the same as in the US? Regular wage weekends?

2.5 is that 2.5 CAD?
nope. 2.5 times of regular wage. e.g my mrs worked on good friday. She got 2.5 times of her regular wage per hr.
That payscale dot com website is spot on. Just checked for my mrs too.lol.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by salford: 7:33am On Apr 18, 2017
WellEndowed:

Talk about learning. Thank you so much. Very informative smiley
you are welcome ma.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 7:34am On Apr 18, 2017
salford:

My sister in-law was planning on working in the US for a year and then back here but she cancelled the plan because what she would earn in the US was low compared to what she already gets here. There was also this American Nurse I know from California who told me he got no shift loading for weekends and was paid base rate (don't know how true this is).

That was why I questioned the guy that said the US pay better.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 7:35am On Apr 18, 2017
salford:

nope. 2.5 times of regular wage. e.g my mrs worked on good friday. She is a pharm by the way. She got 2.5 times of her regular wage per hr.
That payscale dot com website is spot on. Just checked for my mrs too.lol.

Aha so she gets double time and half. Gotcha

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by salford: 7:43am On Apr 18, 2017
WellEndowed:

My sister in-law was planning on working in the US for a year and then back here but she cancelled the plan because what she would earn in the US was low compared to what she already gets here. There was also this American Nurse I know from California who told me he got no shift loading for weekends and was paid base rate (don't know how true this is).

That was why I questioned the guy that said the US pay better.
Lets wait for his reply. i can only google for US to obtain info about wages... The only info i get for the US are word of mouth from health care professionals here in Canada.
It was also in the news recently about canadian nurses stopped from entering the US due to some of trump's policy. i believe it has been resolved now but it was really big news here in Canada. You would see canadian health care professionals moving south but not the other way round. If the nurses had not been allowed into the US. they would be unemployed in canada due to the fact that we dont have such things as nurse practitioners and nurse anesthetists. The healthcare system in canada is over regulated.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/windsor/canadian-nurses-working-in-us-rejected-1.4026554

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/03/16/trump-visa-canadian-nurses/99288212/
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by salford: 7:47am On Apr 18, 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/windsor/nursing-students-us-election-1.3843923
Canadian nursing students hoping they would see a new US president by the time they grad.
Doctors and nurses try to move south after grad just as i previously mentioned. Usually better wages and more career specialization/opportunities.

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by desy24444(m): 8:49am On Apr 18, 2017
[quote author=mamajaz post=55626422][/quote]wouldn't mind joining too.making prep for my own
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 11:29am On Apr 18, 2017
salford:

Lets wait for his reply. i can only google for US to obtain info about wages... The only info i get for the US are word of mouth from health care professionals here in Canada.
It was also in the news recently about canadian nurses stopped from entering the US due to some of trump's policy. i believe it has been resolved now but it was really big news here in Canada. You would see canadian health care professionals moving south but not the other way round. If the nurses had not been allowed into the US. they would be unemployed in canada due to the fact that we dont have such things as nurse practitioners and nurse anesthetists. The healthcare system in canada is over regulated.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/windsor/canadian-nurses-working-in-us-rejected-1.4026554

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/03/16/trump-visa-canadian-nurses/99288212/

Now I agree with you that the US have more specialty options than most if not all countries.

No nurse practitioner in Canada?
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by salford: 3:40pm On Apr 18, 2017
WellEndowed:

Now I agree with you that the US have more specialty options for specialty than most if not all countries.

No nurse practitioner in Canada?

i just asked my flatmate. She said that there are actually NP in canada but it is highly regulated and very difficult designation to obtain.. She said out of close to 300,000 nurses in canada..just about 4,000 have the designation.
i just checked indeed.ca for NP jobs. There are a few vacanacies (41 or all over canada), and they actually offering good coins atleast for canadian standard.. If i was a nurse in canada, i would probably be aspiring to get the NP designation.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Tunjinodaysoff(m): 4:02pm On Apr 18, 2017
i think one should start somewhere then build himself or herself...for us nigerians we can never dream of 12-15 dollars an hour...so all these rates are looking sweet....me i'm a safety officer..my wife is a nurse. i hope i can get a good job to support her wether or not she earns topnotch
salford:

i just asked my flatmate. She said that there are actually NP in canada but it is highly regulated and very difficult designation to obtain.. She said out of close to 300,000 nurses in canada..just about 4,000 have the designation.
i just checked indeed.ca for NP jobs. There are a few vacanacies (41 or all over canada), and they actually offering good coins atleast for canadian standard.. If i was a nurse in canada, i would probably be aspiring to get the NP designation.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by melicent: 5:48pm On Apr 18, 2017
Greetings to the house, any nurse practising in Dubai? pls I need some info about their exam Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Tunjinodaysoff(m): 7:46pm On Apr 18, 2017
WHAT DU U NID
melicent:
Greetings to the house, any nurse practising in Dubai? pls I need some info about their exam Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 10:13pm On Apr 18, 2017
salford:

NP is a ridiculously high paying job. There are paid on the same level as a GP(doctor/General practitioner). They get to see their own patient load to diagnose and treat. It is however a challenge to get in. No be beans and if you make mistake and go work in a very remote location, some are looking at about $200k

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 18, 2017
Tunjinodaysoff:
i think one should start somewhere then build himself or herself...for us nigerians we can never dream of 12-15 dollars an hour...so all these rates are looking sweet....me i'm a safety officer..my wife is a nurse. i hope i can get a good job to support her wether or not she earns topnotch

I know 12-15 dollars per hour might sound sweet but don't limit yourself. As a student first time work ever I was earning $21.89/hour base rate for morning shift, Afternoon shift was $25.18/hour, night shift(weekdays) was $26.89, Christmas day 43.78/hour, other public holiday was 32.79/hour, overtime was 43.78/hr, Saturday was $32.79 Sunday was $38.30 and I was only a student. I only worked 40hours a fortnight during school term and unlimited hours on holidays shocked. Many students here earn more than some Nurses in the states (that was why I queried the post that said the US pay better).

Safety officers are highly regarded here especially in oil and gas and mining. If you just mistake enter the mines as a health and safety advisor... you will be shining ya teeth like this..........> grin.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Tunjinodaysoff(m): 11:40pm On Apr 18, 2017
where are you based...Canada?
WellEndowed:

I know 12-15 dollars per hour might sound sweet but don't limit yourself. As a student first time work ever I was earning $21.89/hour base rate for morning shift, Afternoon shift was $25.18/hour, night shift(weekdays) was $26.89, Christmas day 43.78/hour, other public holiday was 32.79/hour, overtime was 43.78/hr, Saturday was $32.79 Sunday was $38.30 and I was only a student. I only worked 40hours a fortnight during school term and unlimited hours on holidays shocked. Many students here earn more than some Nurses in the states (that was why I queried the post that said the US pay better).

Safety officers are highly regarded here especially in oil and gas and mining. If you just mistake enter the mines as a health and safety advisor... you will be shining ya teeth like this..........> grin.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by RedCapChief(m): 2:54am On Apr 19, 2017
WellEndowed:

21.89/hour . . . as a student?
Which province?
In Ontario, our minimum wage is much lower.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 3:05am On Apr 19, 2017
RedCapChief:

21.89/hour . . . as a student?
Which province?
In Ontario, our minimum wage is much lower.

Tunjinodaysoff:

I do not live in Canada nor the US tongue
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by salford: 6:13am On Apr 19, 2017
WellEndowed:

I do not live in Canada nor the US tongue
Haha. You must live in Australia then. Australia went over my head..That is the only country that pays "wire wire" kind of money...lol.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by mamajaz(f): 6:26am On Apr 19, 2017
Tunjinodaysoff:
Bro Tunji, I like the way you love your wifey oh so tay you come dey advertise her job with your moniker with her response, I can relate:
Tunji: sweet sixteen me, can we visit the eatery together tomorrow.
Wifey of Tunji: Tunji, no days off...lol.
Tunji: (in Trump's voice), those employer of yours, they are looking for trouble ooooo...
Runout of here before em catch me.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by finfol007(m): 7:08am On Apr 19, 2017
desy24444:
Y is it that everybody want to practice in Texas as if its only Texas that is the only state in USA. I am looking forward to heading to Boston, MA.......bottom line, let's try to inquire about other states before we run into Texas and like you know, license is for a state not like Nigeria that is for a country..

Cos Texas is one of the very few states that allows for registration without social security number
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by melicent: 10:21am On Apr 19, 2017
Tunjinodaysoff:
WHAT DU U NID
I just need to know the specific materials in preparing for the DHA exam, as there are lots of materials online, is it only Dubai that someone can write the exam ? any related info will be so much appreciated Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Tunjinodaysoff(m): 11:04am On Apr 19, 2017
melicent:
I just need to know the specific materials in preparing for the DHA exam, as there are lots of materials online, is it only Dubai that someone can write the exam ? any related info will be so much appreciated Thanks.
prepare like you want to write nclex. Saunders and lippincots...all. very intense. And you'll pass

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Tunjinodaysoff(m): 11:07am On Apr 19, 2017
Wetin make i do n.a.. she's a great woman and mother to my children.
mamajaz:

Bro Tunji, I like the way you love your wifey oh so tay you come dey advertise her job with your moniker with her response, I can relate:
Tunji: sweet sixteen me, can we visit the eatery together tomorrow.
Wifey of Tunji: Tunji, no days off...lol.
Tunji: (in Trump's voice), those employer of yours, they are looking for trouble ooooo...
Runout of here before em catch me.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by Tunjinodaysoff(m): 11:09am On Apr 19, 2017
salford:

Haha. You must live in Australia then. Australia went over my head..That is the only country that pays "wire wire" kind of money...lol.
autralia is ok. But it's one step at a time. Really I'm all about the residence for my children. Then I'll go cut my share from nija national cake. That very big cake.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by melicent: 11:16am On Apr 19, 2017
Tunjinodaysoff:
prepare like you want to write nclex. Saunders and lippincots...all. very intense. And you'll pass
thank you for your quick response, is it only Dubai that someone can write the exam?
Re: Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. by auschris: 9:44pm On Apr 19, 2017
Hello house,
I just stumbled on this thread. It's nice to know that such a thread exists. I'd look in from time to time to see what I can contribute.
I practice in the US and came in via the sponsorship of Avant Healthcare Professionals.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (220) (Reply)

QATAR And UAE General Visa Enquiries / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.