Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,274 members, 7,811,803 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

Database Administrators On Nairaland - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Database Administrators On Nairaland (9833 Views)

Anyone Got Oracle 11g New Features For Administrators Dumps? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Database Administrators On Nairaland by shadoghale(m): 7:30am On Oct 27, 2006
Hi fellos,

Am a bit curious why amost every body on this forum happens to be a Programmer and very few Database Administrators. I have asked several questions on the lucrativeness of an Oracle DBA career in Nigeria and ve received positive responses. So why can't we use this Thread to share our experiences, that is for new comers and Pros who would want to help.

What do you think??
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by Bossman(m): 7:30pm On Oct 27, 2006
Generally, it's a numbers thing. A company will need a whole lot more programmers than DBAs. For example at this current client, I would say we have at least 600 developers. I am also sure we have less than 10 DBAs. It's definitely a lucrative field though. For example, the IT dept of a bank in Nigeria may have say 50 developers, but they will probably not need more than 2 DBAs or so.
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by fellybabe(f): 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2006
Dat's cool shadoghale.infact,i just went 2 computer villa 2day 2 buy some software -ORACLE 9i DBA FUNDAMENTAL 1 AND 2(TUTORIAL).AM TRYING 2 LOAD IT ON MY SYSTEM.YESTERNIGHT,I WAS ABLE 2 GET D BRAINDUMPS 4M D NET.I LIKE DAT.AM HERE WITH U.
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by shadoghale(m): 12:57pm On Oct 28, 2006
@fellybabe, etc: Thanks, I ve met one vendor at Ikeja villa that has Oracle 9i DBA complete tutor DVD and wants 10k for it I have been begging him for say 7k but he has refused to.

But based on few opportunities inherent in DBA field and so much cost, I feel like reading my oracle 9i soft books, I have a whole lot, SQL, PL/SQL,; FUNDAMENTALS I & II; performance tuning; 9i getting started, Network security, SQL Reference and more my problem is I don't know where to start from to read

We could share ideas and find ourselves on the right track cheaply. Any expert in the house to help out here?, I will appreciate.
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by segebee(m): 12:14am On Nov 08, 2006
your question came timely.
im also currently learning oracle, and definitely not 9i. im learning 10g and i feel its better than 9i, so i hope you haven't bought the books yet.
im not learning on my own bt at an it school; this is better because organisations wil need to see ur certificate if u want to work in nigeria.
its a very lucrative cost, though its appreciated better overseas.
feel free to mail questions to segebee1@yahoo.co.uk
you could also wait for niit's next scholarship[pray, don't read for it]
i study at niit and it counts!
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by shadoghale(m): 6:55pm On Nov 08, 2006
@ SEGEBEE

Do you work for those Indians at NIIT, you speak like one who has not done research yet
on how many Nigerian Companies use Oracle for now, except a company like Celtel that
uses 10g most others use 9i Even as big as HARRIS COMM.
So what benefit is your post to us if we are looking for the low cost way to achieve that Certificate, and here you are recommending your neck cutting NIIT.

"Go behind me Devil"

You better wise up Gee
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by numen(m): 8:04pm On Nov 08, 2006
hi fellybabe

please will u be kind enough to tell me where u download the BRAINDUMPS or oracle on d web.

Thanks

NumeN
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by AfricaFace(f): 9:28am On Nov 10, 2006
@ fellybaby, you  have just taken a bold step into becoming an  Pi OCA/COP, any way i hade my OCA 2005 AUGUST and my OCP 2006 JUNE, but right now i am studying to do 10g upgrade . so i will advise you not to go into 9i certification, start with 10g OCA AND OCP. you can just read 9i for  knowledge compatability with 10g. Oracle is good , interesting and REWARDING.
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by gbengaijot(m): 9:32am On Nov 10, 2006
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by Seun(m): 3:41pm On Nov 10, 2006
I consider myself to be a MySQL Database administrator, although I only work for myself. wink
Changed the title of the thread to reflect the fact that Oracle is not the only dbms in the world!

1 Like

Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by cabali(m): 4:15pm On Nov 10, 2006
Just registering my presence. It is ok if u read 9i materials cos they are basically the same thingy just with slight adjustments and u dont, I repeat, U dont have to do it in NIIT!! I did it all by myself and I passed so 4get NIIT and their high fees.

start reading everything every where and u will make it
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by funso77(m): 5:48pm On Nov 10, 2006
Hi Evryone, i wouldnt say am new to nairaland, but this seems to be the first time am contributing to a topic posted.

Currently, am studying oracle 10g at NIIT, just got some few months left to attempt my certifications and get into the labour market.

Firstly, i really do concord to the Database Administrators Forum to be organised by Nairaland users. This would give each and evryone the opportunity to share views and ideas concerning so many things to be learnt and even of use in our different workplaces and much more.

The gist also is that i read some time ago in a publication that Oracle Coorporation is willing to expand their business to Nigeria with full force, so i consider all Oracle Database Administrators good-luck and a lot to look forward to. Thanks all.
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by cabali(m): 6:25pm On Nov 10, 2006
ya think!!!
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by dakmanzero(m): 6:48pm On Nov 10, 2006
in 9ja you wont get a job as a straight up dba unless you are working for a multinational or a company that was recently restructured by an oyinbo-influenced consulting firm.

DBA work usually comes as an extra responsibility for either coders or system admins. If 'your' system requires database management, you will end up doing it. End result is that coosing DBA as a career path is, at the moment curently not a good idea.

Example: Company I work for. 10 developers, about twice that number of system administrators/network engineers, and at least 25 branch guys (jack of all trades, general IT guy for the branches).

Not ONE dba.

we *do* have devs who should be called DBA's cos their work is nothing more than oracle, oracle oracle from morning to night, but they were employed as developers and not DBA's

my suggestion:
pursue a career in sys admin, software dev, or network engineering. DBA credentials are a great bonus for software dev or sys admin. Many places will not hire u as a dev if u dont have oracle. But dont just have Oracle ALONE, cos they will ask you 'can you code?' and when you say 'uuuuh, ' the story ends.
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by cabali(m): 7:19pm On Nov 10, 2006
what I suggest is follow ur passion

when I started off with oracle 8i, i did not care if there will job oppurtunities; I had the passion for it and thats why i did it without training from anyone.

follow ur passion and thats it!!
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by Oloks(m): 7:28pm On Nov 10, 2006
'Am an Oracle Applications DBA,
If you have access to emule, you will be able to download any Oracle software or books that you may need.
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by candylips(m): 7:38pm On Nov 10, 2006
well the work of a DBA is really getting redundant these days since there are lots of DBA tools that any one can pick up and utilize to do a DBA work.

However if you really like databases it would be better if you go more into the Development side of the database i.e writing of stored procedures, sql scripts etc and just learn the core DBA stuff by the way side.
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by cabali(m): 8:46pm On Nov 10, 2006
Not a bad piece of advise there!
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by Oloks(m): 9:44pm On Nov 10, 2006
Not sure how the mkt is in Nigeria, but Tech DBA's should be looking towards moving towards Apps DBA (E-Business) side of things, which still commands very good rate in the contract/perm market in UK. Play around this site www.jobserve.com, and it will give a feel how the mkt is in UK.
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by smartsoft(m): 10:24am On Nov 11, 2006
I was doing Oracle some years ago, i just borned it, and i will like to go back to it back i have forgotten most of the things i do with it self, so now for who don't know anything about oracle and will want to start what do you advice him/her to learn first 9i or 10g straight huh ?
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by theORAKU(m): 1:57pm On Nov 11, 2006
nice 2 knw that many oracle dbas exist on this forum.
Am also a 9i dba but currently adminstering 8i/9i dbs in port harcourt.
Its quite interesting working as a dba but acquiring skills in dbs made by other vendors will also make a lot of sense.

if there is anybody wthinking of embarking on oracle and u stay in PH, u cud hookup wth me.
Wont charge as much as NIIT does, moreover it will be a one-2-one tutoring with real life practical scenarios.
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by Obeto(m): 5:52pm On Nov 11, 2006
DBA is not centered on Oracle alone. The market aint there as it's use to way back. Most guys are now jack of all trade, master of some. But aint bad. I am an MCDBA. grin cool

Mail utobeto@gmail.com to get any certification dumps (Specify Exam Code).

Ciao!!!
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by nicolas: 12:26am On Nov 12, 2006
Anyone knows much about SAP? I heard there is mkt for it and the salary is good
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by Oloks(m): 1:29am On Nov 12, 2006
@ ladybaby

U are very right about OCP certification, though I am not very sure how much emphasis is placed on it in Nigeria, but in UK here no one really ask for OCP etc, it is more to do with "can u deliver". I have worked for major Consulting firms in UK and Holland and I have never been asked if I have OCP

1 Like

Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by candylips(m): 1:50am On Nov 12, 2006
but sometimes the easiest way to get a starter job is if u are certified
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by cabali(m): 11:32am On Nov 12, 2006
I most agree with u there! finally u still have to get som'. the certificate will help in Nigeria cos thats the closest they can get to the experiencing the oracle feel
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by kitaun(m): 1:39pm On Nov 12, 2006
The issue is as a DBA ; can you deliver,

Its not about whether u got a certification, it helps but most people are myopic about getting certified neglecting the aspect of getting some form of experience cool
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by cabali(m): 3:36pm On Nov 12, 2006
but u do not go to a company to llearn how to be a dba; u need to go to some sort of sch! and that will involve exams at the end of it

I was driven by passion and that helped me go through the training without having to go to any damn school or training centre.
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by Oloks(m): 3:44pm On Nov 12, 2006
@ cabali

Training or books will not touch on all situations. Problems do occur at times and can only be resolved from prior experience, u will still need to learn on the job. Though school, training and books just opens your mind makes it easier.
Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by loluuu(m): 7:45pm On Nov 12, 2006
The truth of the matter is that getting a Job as a fresher (no real work exp) is very hard in nigeria. Im saying so from personal exp and that of many friends that i know of. i recently decided to move into other areas (Business analysis) when the jobs were not forth-comming.a DBA (oracle) would have to be employed in Big organisation with large volume of data, applications etc. most of the experience u will get as a fresher would best be describe as data management and not database administration. I am OCA myself since early last year and the best i got since was working with Enterprise manager on my personal pc. by and large, the advice on moving towards development isnt so bad but personally i feel that isnt something that is learnt but rather "should come naturally" . i read computer science in school and i know what it is like to develop an application, d coding etc and not just simple "Hello world" stuff. il sugest u explore other options from Oracle and other vendors. u might c something more interesting to be than a DBA smiley

1 Like

Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by Oloks(m): 8:31pm On Nov 12, 2006
@ loluuu

What is now coming up recently in the job mkt, is that one should be able to have more skills in DBA beyond Oracle, you tend to be more marketable by acquiring skills in Sybase, MYSQL etc. That is my observation in the UK mkt.

1 Like

Re: Database Administrators On Nairaland by saddik(m): 11:01pm On Nov 12, 2006
Abeg, i need advice.

I studied MSSQL 2000 since, although i have not worked in an environment that it is implemented,
I was busy with GIS. Now i want to dust of my SQL books, what shopuld i concetrate on, im lost in the market, as in what is more lucrative in database, is it making chain commands i.e triggers, or creating the database sets.

HELP sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Develop A Mobile Application? / Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites / Gov Ambode Has Plans For One Million Lucky Lagosians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.