Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,423 members, 7,822,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry (53670 Views)

Jubilation As African Migrants Enter Spain After Forcing Entry At Border. Photos / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Bollinger(m): 5:24pm On Jan 18, 2016
ronald4lif:
All true. Worse if you're going to Australia. Aussie immigration officials are the most strict in the world, they could deny you entry for sneezing too hard lol. Even Australians are denied entry into their country without cogent reasons. Crazy country.

At least ninety five percent of what the OP laid out is wrong.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by irondome: 5:24pm On Jan 18, 2016
business4all:
Of course one's phone can be searched through subject to the discretion of the officer at the POE like the example above.

While they have the right to deny you entry if you spooked them, they have got no right to invade your privacy. They may request politely to look through your phone, however, you have the right to politely say NO as well.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Phoenix001(m): 5:25pm On Jan 18, 2016
Very good post

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by otiigba1(m): 5:27pm On Jan 18, 2016
Bollinger:

Lol.....All the points are rubbish. Unless you hid in a suitcase up to the point of entry, you would not even encounter any of these issues because you won't even have a visa in the first place. The guy is just typing rubbish and you are swallowing it.
could you please elaborate? undecided i didn't quite comprehend your point

5 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by alcmene: 5:28pm On Jan 18, 2016
Another is being given a business visa when actually its supposed to be a virgin visa

Also usually to those traveling to the carribean via US, Not having a US transit visa
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by irondome: 5:29pm On Jan 18, 2016
ronald4lif:
All true. Worse if you're going to Australia. Aussie immigration officials are the most strict in the world, they could deny you entry for sneezing too hard lol. Even Australians are denied entry into their country without cogent reasons. Crazy country.

Also wrong. I was never for once bothered at POE in Australia, especially if you do not carry any contraband item or food.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by modath(f): 5:31pm On Jan 18, 2016
Keneking:
Where is lalasticlala sef?

+ If you are of refugee status
+ If you are related to ex-president of Nigeria
+ If you are pregnant with protuded stomach
+ Medical visit without any note from a medical doctor

The highlighted is only true if;

1.Intent was not declared @ the interview / or a follow up mail,in case of dropbox application..

2. No correspondence with Dr/Hospital!!

That belle protruding matter is not for naija women, go to give birth in US thread & see rugged naija women travelling @ 36-37wks & put to bed 2-3wks after! smiley

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by otiigba1(m): 5:32pm On Jan 18, 2016
irondome:

While they have the right to deny you entry if you spooked them, they have got no right to invade your privacy. They may request politely to look through your phone, however, you have the right to politely say NO as well.
politely saying no may Arouse their suspicion depending on the context, situation or the officer, in these days of terrorism they may insist on looking through your phone with an excuse of eliminating you from their (rethorical)list.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Bantino(m): 5:34pm On Jan 18, 2016
Interesting piece...
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by irondome: 5:36pm On Jan 18, 2016
Psalm18:

Nope. They are not rubbish.
Factual points he raised.

I have SEEN a lady deported back due to pregnancy.
She stated she was going for a conference in the USA but obviously it was to give birth.
She got the visa when the pregnancy was not obvious and then traveled close to her delivery date.

She was not deported because she was" too pregnant", but because she couldn't prove beyond doubt that she was actually going for business/conference.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by sidneyj(m): 5:42pm On Jan 18, 2016
hope they apply same rules when they(the whites) want to enter into our free land cus it seems like they share visa to Nigeria free of charge over there
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by modath(f): 5:43pm On Jan 18, 2016
irondome:

Polite gini

They wil not only invade your privacy by upturning your bag, going through your phones& asking you personal questions (during secondary inspection), they will do it in the presence of everyone around!!

They are hoping for a reason to deny you entry, you mouthing off & being recalcitrant will make it super easy for them!!! cheesy cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jan 18, 2016
irondome:

She was not deported she was" too pregnant", but because she couldn't prove beyond doubt that she was actually going for business.

The man did not die, he only kicked the bucket. grin
irondome:

She was not deported she was" too pregnant", but because she couldn't prove beyond doubt that she was actually going for business.

The man did not die, he only kicked the bucket.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by meforyou1(m): 5:49pm On Jan 18, 2016
English people are cunny.
My first visit to UK in 2007 was for a 2 week training organised by my organisation in London. However, in the letter of invitation, the training institute gave us letter headed paper that had the heading "XYZ Glasgow" while they stated in the letter that the training would hold in London.
Another wahala, it was when e Passport was newly introduced and that was what I went with.
The immigration woman bounced one Indian woman before me and asked me to come. I didn't like that, because she was still angry with the Indian woman.
And so I arrived. First she doubted the passport, saying it wasn't Nigerian passport. It took intervention of another immigration to convince her it was the new Nigerian passport. Then she asked for return ticket, I gave her. Asked for my ID card I gave her. She asked for invitation letter. I gave her. She say "oh u are going to Glasgow" I say no o, London. And she showed me the heading. I told her to read the letter that the company stated the venue in central London. And she feigned ignorance and asked me to pass through. I'm sure she wanted to catch me. For me to say I was going to Glasgow when my visa application said I was going to London.

8 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Bollinger(m): 5:50pm On Jan 18, 2016
otiigba1:
could you please elaborate? undecided i didn't quite comprehend your point

2. Unless i'm mistaken you can't just buy a one way ticket.

3. If i have a credit card, how are they going to know how much i have on it.

4. There is a weight limit on luggage even before you leave your home country.

5. The traveler is just st.upid. The world has gone digital. It is not even an issue.

6. That point is also s.tupid. It has nothing to do with anything.

7. Doesn't make any sense.

8. Doesn't make any sense.

9. Doesn't make any sense.

10. Doesn't make any sense.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by worry359(m): 5:50pm On Jan 18, 2016
hollandis:
Why will anyone search your phone ,whose business is it if you have credentials in your luggage ?
As stated by others
The entry control officer (especially in U.S.A.) has the right and power to do this.
They are the one allowing or denying your entry.
If they find anything they do not like such as job papers on tourist then you are on the next plane out.
If you protest, make a fuss and noise then you are into detention for even more security checks.
These are facts, you may not like them but they are true.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by toprealman: 5:54pm On Jan 18, 2016
For 1, how did the traveller manage to get to that point. Is the person a spirit? For 2, going for a >2years academic program can void this point.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 18, 2016
That point 5 is not really true. I used to travel with my credentials, on visitor's permit, without hassles.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by irondome: 5:55pm On Jan 18, 2016
otiigba1:
politely saying no may Arouse their suspicion depending on the context, situation or the officer, in these days of terrorism they may insist on looking through your phone with an excuse of eliminating you from their (rethorical)list.

Politely saying No and citing privacy reason arouse no suspicion. You have to be assertive and politely offer to assist them to prove beyond doubt that your mortive and purpose of visit are genuine.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by signature2012(m): 5:58pm On Jan 18, 2016
business4all:
Taken from different experiences of nairalanders that were turned back to Nigeria from port of entries.

1. Showing up at a port of entry different from what your stated in your visa application form. You will have to do a lot of explaining why you do that if its your first entry with the visa. people have been deported for that same reason.

2. Not having a return ticket back to your home country. this can be construed as having no plan to return to your country and you are immediately sent back before you are allowed to enter.

3. Not traveling with money. It was so embarrassing when i read a personal report of a nairalander how he was send back because he traveled with no kobo in his pocket hoping to arrived in the hand of a relation waiting to pick him up. He was only showing them mastercard as his only proof of fund that he had money in it. Unfortunately he was deported from the spot.

4. Going with excessive luggage making it look as if you are relocating. you stated that you are visiting for seven days but your luggage show otherwise that you have come to stayput. A nairaland had that as one of the reason he was deported. They did not trust him that he will leave their country because of his excess lauggage.

5. Going with your credential. it saddened my heart when i read a report of a girl by his nairalander brother how she was sent back from the port of entry simply because her credentials were found in her luggage. this gave her away as a immigrant going to look for a job as against going to visit or for tourism. For a student visa, that is understandable.

6. Having your destination country phone number on your phone while you stated that you do not know or have any relation in the country. This can arouse scrutiny to an extent of deporting you. I read how someone's phone was collected at the port of entry and the official look through it only to find a local phone number of the country when the traveler stated that he did not have any contact in the country.

7. Not going with the documents that confirm the purpose of your trip.
A nairalander was going for a program. He was asked to produce documents proof of the program. He didn't have it and he wanted to show them the soft copies of the documents maybe from his tablet or whatever. He was asked why didn't he have them on paper. He was not given any chance to show the soft copies until he was deported.

8. Going to give birth when you did not declare it during your visa interview. This is seriously frowned at. many heavily pregnant women have been sent back for that reason. If you scale through because your pregnancy is still not visible enough and you go to give birth, it will affect your next visa application negatively.

9. Using the visa for the first time for a purpose other than what it was issued for. You will need a lot of explaining to do as to why you change the purpose of use of the visa if you will no[img][/img] ort be deported.

10. Saying a different thing from what you filled in your visa application form. this could be dangerous.

so, you can add yours or your port of entry experience so we learn.

Op,you are very very correct with all the points you listed.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by BadSamaritan(m): 6:03pm On Jan 18, 2016
If you ever encounter the immigration at Schiphol airport as a first time traveller with a naija passport and successfully pass their screening, then know say with a little bit more work, you can make heaven. Those guys are baaaad. Their mere looking at you sef, it's as if you were made of glass. They see through you, your heartbeat, and what goes on in your mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by otiigba1(m): 6:04pm On Jan 18, 2016
irondome:

Politely saying No and citing privacy reason arouse no suspicion. You have to be assertive and politely offer to assist them to prove beyond doubt that your mortive and purpose of visit are genuine.

make sense, then again i believe any country can deport any individual regardless of who they may be with no explaination what so ever (its their country) they reserve the right.it has happened to people i know numerous times
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by irondome: 6:05pm On Jan 18, 2016
EZmonie:

The man did not die, he only kicked the bucket. grin

The man did not die, he only kicked the bucket.

You still don't get it. If her conference was genuine and she had adequate documentary evidence to that effect, she would still have been allowed entry in spite of her tummy.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 18, 2016
toprealman:
For 1, how did the traveller manage to get to that point. Is the person a spirit? For 2, going for a >2years academic program can void this point.

Entering any POE is simply a matter of routing your flight there since it's still in the same country of your visa. You don't have to be a spirit.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by irondome: 6:11pm On Jan 18, 2016
otiigba1:
make sense, then again i believe any country can deport any individual regardless of who they may be with no explaination what so ever (its their country) they reserve the right.it has happened to people i know numerous times

No one is contesting their right, however, they wouldn't wield the stick for no reason, that would be abusing the right entrusted to them. Furthermore, these officers's work are reviewed periodical (sampling), they would not want to be found, turning genuine people back at the point of entry for no reason.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by sleek82(m): 6:14pm On Jan 18, 2016
worry359:

You may not have heard of it
but we have heard of people having their phone examined and having problems.

As for what your reaction would be!
If you start the usual tactic of shouting and protesting in many countries (and especially in America)
you WILL be detained and placed on the next plane home!
trust me it is true. There is a program i watch here "border watch" or something like that, trust me thry check people's phones and use it to know somany things like if they have a job placement waiting for them or they intend to overstay due to text messages sent....some even check laptops!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by ibkgab001: 6:16pm On Jan 18, 2016
south africans fake hotel reservation
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by otiigba1(m): 6:20pm On Jan 18, 2016
irondome:

No one is contesting their right, however, they wouldn't wield the stick for no reason, that would be abusing the right entrusted to them. Furthermore, these officers's work are reviewed periodical (sampling), they would not want to be found, turning genuine people back at the point of entry for no reason.
makes more sense, was travelling to Australia their officers went through my phone, i had no problem with that i allowed them do their job (so they claim) ultimately i was let through.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by claremont(m): 6:20pm On Jan 18, 2016
hollandis:
This is all balderdash. Nigerians just like writing crap.If you have a visa to a destination country .Why will they turn you back?Why will anyone search your phone ,whose business is it if you have credentials in your luggage ?

A visa doesn't grant you a RIGHT to enter a country. Ultimately, the decision to let you in rests with the guys manning Immigration control at the port of entry. They have every right not to let you in, they can choose to turn you back without any reason provided. If you flout immigration rules by lying on your visa application about your intent, they can send you home. It's not your country, it's theirs.

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BRT Crushes Lagos Businesswoman To Death, Driver Flees / Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident / Patos Oghenevwede Lands Plane Without Front Tyre (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.