Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,279 members, 7,826,082 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry (53686 Views)

Jubilation As African Migrants Enter Spain After Forcing Entry At Border. Photos / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by signature2012(m): 10:22pm On Jan 18, 2016
justwise:

You don't seems to know much, all the points the op raised are valid.

Some people are just born to be ignorant.Have always watch this border check program,with tons of things I see that happen daily in different POE(s),one has to be fully prepared to answer all answerable.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by wayodude(m): 10:23pm On Jan 18, 2016
Thank God I don't have to apply for visa anywhere lol
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 10:24pm On Jan 18, 2016
Bollinger:

And where in my post did i say i was i turned back at point of entry. I now see why the Nigerian Government refuse to spend on Education. It's a waste of time.
Nigerians are just too pathetic... why the hell will a stupid white officer go through my phone.... I know a person whose entire investment brokerage account information. .. never to be shared are present on his phone............. Most nigerians just suffer stupidity × inferiority complex together. .... I can and never will hand over my phone to any idiot.... if Afghans, Iraqis , russians don't have their phone's checked. .. why should a black africn have his.......... god bless you for being sensible

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Bollinger(m): 10:24pm On Jan 18, 2016
justwise:

[/b]

And nothing happened.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Bollinger(m): 10:26pm On Jan 18, 2016
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:

Nigerians are just too pathetic... why the hell will a stupid white officer go through my phone.... I know a person whose entire investment brokerage account information. .. never to be shared are present on his phone............. Most nigerians just suffer stupidity × inferiority complex together. .... I can and never will hand over my phone to any idiot.... if Afghans, Iraqis , russians don't have their phone's checked. .. why should a black africn have his.......... god bless you for being sensible

They won't unless you give them cause.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by babyisUS: 10:27pm On Jan 18, 2016
Bollinger:

And where in my post did i say i was i turned back at point of entry. I now see why the Nigerian Government refuse to spend on Education. It's a waste of time.

Yes, it's definitely a waste of time and tax payers money to spend on education,all thanks to folks like you who claim to know it all,but actually knows NOTHING...

You were not turned back,but could have... u claimed it was impossible for anyone to meet any hassles at POE unless they are dubious...so should we take it u are dubious hence the IO deemed it appropriate to search through your lappy? The lock was even cut like you were carrying some indicting stuffs!
Thought u are untouchable and u own the POE!
Pfffftttt!

4 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by ronald4lif(m): 10:33pm On Jan 18, 2016
irondome:

Also wrong. I was never for once bothered at POE in Australia, especially if you do not carry any contraband item or food.

So your personal experience to Australia means I was wrong? Read up on the most tough immigration in the world and see what comes up. Australia immigration are the most strict doesn't mean you can't be allowed entry without being interrogated and scrutinised.

Even if it comes to making a living without having residency Aussie has one of the most strict employment laws and there's almost no or little means to regularise one's stay in the country using fictitious marriages like it's obtainable in other Western countries.

Australian border force is no joke as they don't consider most of the human rights plea countries like UK and US have in place. How many Nigerians do you hear wish to travel there for hustling as compared to Europe and North America and why not?

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by justwise(m): 10:37pm On Jan 18, 2016
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:

This is just hot air.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Bollinger(m): 10:38pm On Jan 18, 2016
babyisUS:

Yes, it's definitely a waste of time and tax payers money to spend on education,all thanks to folks like you who claim to know it all,but actually knows NOTHING...

You were not turned back,but could have... u claimed it was impossible for anyone to meet any hassles at POE unless they are dubious...so should we take it u are dubious hence the IO deemed it appropriate to search through your lappy? The lock was even cut like you were carrying some indicting stuffs!
Thought u are untouchable and u own the POE!!!
Pfffftttt!

Google can't give you all the answers you want. you have to live it to understand it. The OP's post was all about being turned back at the port of entry. I gave an example, where i tried to explain how you could have an infringement and officials would clear you because they know you have nothing to hide because you had an oversight. Want another one. My organization sent me to Germany to complete a project which took 3 years. I didn't know that the SOFA card for my kids had to be renewed yearly while staying in Germany. I completed the project and went back home with my family. A year after that i was sent back for quality inspections and was stopped at the Nuremberg Airport because My name popped up due to my kids. I paid the 200 Euro fine and proceeded on. No one will turn you back unless you are dubious.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by justwise(m): 10:39pm On Jan 18, 2016
Bollinger:

They won't unless you give them cause.

..again you are wrong. Honestly your experience on this is very very limited.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Bollinger(m): 10:41pm On Jan 18, 2016
justwise:

..again you are wrong. Honestly your experience on this is very very limited.

Count all your fingers and your toes. It won't still add up to the countries in Europe and the Americas i've been to.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by justwise(m): 10:42pm On Jan 18, 2016
Bollinger:

Count all your fingers and your toes. It won't still add up to the countries i've been to.

...been to those countries with mum & daddy?

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Bollinger(m): 10:44pm On Jan 18, 2016
justwise:

...been to those countries with mum & daddy?

Lol. . .if only you knew. cool
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by cosade(m): 10:45pm On Jan 18, 2016
Omotolu:
That point 5 is not really true. I used to travel with my credentials, on visitor's permit, without hassles.

You were lucky that the Immigration Officer had no reason to conduct a search on you. Having your educational credentials with you if seen, will definitely land you back home. It is better to scan your credentials and attach to an email. This you can access anywhere in the world, than risking immigration problems.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by justwise(m): 10:48pm On Jan 18, 2016
Bollinger:

Lol. . .if only you knew. cool

Difficulties to believe that you have left airport departure terminal because you don't need to have traveled to many countries to know this issue.

It got nothing to do with your right, valid visa or your privacy.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Almightytime: 10:48pm On Jan 18, 2016
I think most people get it wrong that your phone cannot be scrutinized at POE. I once had my phone and laptop scrutinized.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Bollinger(m): 10:52pm On Jan 18, 2016
justwise:

Difficulties to believe that you have left airport departure terminal because you don't need to have traveled to many countries to know this issue.

It got nothing to do with your right, valid visa or your privacy.

You are just too dull i swear. Please show me anywhere where i said it is a right. They want you to come and spend your money. They won't turn you back unless you prove to them you are dubious. How is this so difficult to understand?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by babyisUS: 11:02pm On Jan 18, 2016
Bollinger:

Google can't give you all the answers you want. you have to live it to understand it. The OP's post was all about being turned back at the port of entry. I gave an example, where i tried to explain how you could have an infringement and officials would clear you because they know you have nothing to hide because you had an oversight. Want another one. My organization sent me to Germany to complete a project which took 3 years. I didn't know that the SOFA card for my kids had to be renewed yearly while staying in Germany. I completed the project and went back home with my family. A year after that i was sent back for quality inspections and was stopped at the Nuremberg Airport because My name popped up due to my kids. I paid the 200 Euro fine and proceeded on. No one will turn you back unless you are dubious.

So let's say someone else found themselves in your second situation, and didn't have the 200 Euro to pay the fine immediately...what would have been the next course of action? Turn him back right? Would you translate it to mean the person was dubious and stupid?

If you had really taken time to read the OP's intro before listing the points, you'd understand that he got all those points from people's experiences he came across on this page. Without mistakes,there wouldn't be corrections....there wouldn't be lessons learned...
You have stated two situations you have experienced, are you aware that someone has taken note of your case and included them in their list of "things to/not to do" list?.. no information is useless. ..
Yes there are dubious people, no doubt, but there are also, a good number of genuine people who have suffered for many oversights...
Even if u have travelled round the world without hassles, u can only speak about YOUR OWN experience, not about others... and you can't use ur own experience to generalise... I watch Borders Watch and have seen how silly things like people's indomie noodle's packets were ripped apart just to make sure the contents are what they should be...
With these IOs,you can never be too sure.. posts like this shouldn't be spat on like you are doing... thats my whole point..

8 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by justwise(m): 11:05pm On Jan 18, 2016
Bollinger:

You are just too dull i swear. Please show me anywhere where i said it is a right. They want you to come and spend your money. They won't turn you back unless you prove to them you are dubious. How is this so difficult to understand?

Honestly your level of ignorant is limited edition, not too many out there like you.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Bollinger(m): 11:06pm On Jan 18, 2016
babyisUS:

So let's say someone else found themselves in your second situation, and didn't have the 200 Euro to pay the fine immediately...what would have been the next course of action? Turn him back right? Would you translate it to mean the person was dubious and stupid?

If you had really taken time to read the OP's intro before listing the points, you'd understand that he got all those points from people's experiences he came across on this page. Without mistakes,there wouldn't be corrections....there wouldn't be lessons learned...
You have stated two situations you have experienced, are you aware that someone has taken note of your case and included them in their list of "things to/not to do" list?.. no information is useless. ..
Yes there are dubious people, no doubt, but there are also, a good number of genuine people who have suffered for many oversights...
Even if u have travelled round the world without hassles, u can only speak about YOUR OWN experience, not about others... and you can't use ur own experience to generalise... I watch Borders Watch and have seen how silly things like people's indomie noodle's packets were ripped apart just to make sure the contents are what they should be...
With these IOs,you can never be too sure.. posts like this shouldn't be spat on like you are doing... thats my whole point..

But the Op's point are ridiculous now. Having your result, having the host country's number on your phone, not having a return ticket, etc. . .bro please.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Bollinger(m): 11:07pm On Jan 18, 2016
justwise:

Honestly your level of ignorant is limited edition, not too many out there like you.

You haven't said anything.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by justwise(m): 11:11pm On Jan 18, 2016
Bollinger:

But the Op's point are ridiculous now. Having your result, having the host country's number on your phone, not having a return ticket, etc. . .bro please.

Let me help you because you are struggling to understand anything.

That number 6 said:. Having your destination country phone number on your phone while you stated that you do not know or have any relation in the country.

The section in bold is the full meaning of that which is absolutely true.

Read that fully before making yourself look very very uninformed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by babyisUS: 11:14pm On Jan 18, 2016
Bollinger:

But they are not exactly his points... they are points culled from members experiences.. the OP only collated people's experiences..

I am a chic by the way.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by murmee: 11:15pm On Jan 18, 2016
Rastamann:
Na we dey cause most of these things because many of us don give them the impression say we no dey truthful, so no mata wetin we tak, dem belif say na lie we dey lie. .
Why did you not write in good English. Did you go to school at all?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Bollinger(m): 11:22pm On Jan 18, 2016
babyisUS:

But they are not exactly his points... they are points culled from members experiences.. the OP only collated people's experiences..

I am a chic by the way.

Bros, his point or not, he decided to write about it without doing due diligence. Would you do a write up on everything you read on the internet?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by blackpriest0911: 11:50pm On Jan 18, 2016
Yea it's true, same experience on Thursday in UK, I filled for two weeks as against 3months I was staying, almost deported if not for God
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by Excuzeme: 12:51am On Jan 19, 2016
ronald4lif:
All true. Worse if you're going to Australia. Aussie immigration officials are the most strict in the world, they could deny you entry for sneezing too hard lol. Even Australians are denied entry into their country without cogent reasons. Crazy country.

Its a closed and very racist country towards Blacks.
Just watch them on "Nothing to Declare" episodes.

Nothing on Mother earth would make me step my foot in that country. Nothing.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by kellykings84: 1:04am On Jan 19, 2016
It's funny how some persons reason and how some claim to know it all. Personally, have neva been sent back from a poe but I was stopped in jburg in 2013 wen de needed to review my visa stamp, said it didn't have some security features but de checked later nd found out d features were introduced a month after I got d visa nd let me go cos I traveled d 3rd month of d 3 months visa.
While I was dere, I heard dem tell some persons de were sending dem back to dere country for various funny reasons.
D points d op stated re very valid, a cousin of mine was sent back cos he had his birth certificate wit him, de felt he needed it to process stay papers wen allowed into d US but he even forgot it in his suitcase as he traveled wit same bag d previous week to abuja.
Wen I came into US in December, d guy in front of me was asked how much he had on him nd he told dem just $700 nd d rest in his mastercard nd d guy said he didn't beliv nd said he ll have to go to secondary for dem to verify, don't know how dat went. while de were on it, I was called up to anoda booth nd was asked almost same tin, I had $500 on me nd d rest in my mastercard also nd dis guy just stamped me in. It's about dere perception nd mood, just like d CO's in Nigeria.
Nd d oda guy saying once u ve ur visa, u can always go in Dats not true, u should even fear d guys I poe more even, those guys have power of tell u, de can send u back wit d slightest doubt, doesn't mean u re being dubious, de can pick on u also or js act on dere gut feelings. De check fones, laptops, wallets, wateva de feel like, wateva de feel ll make dem make a more informed decision if to let u into dere country or not

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by modath(f): 3:43am On Jan 19, 2016
justwise:

You don't seems to know much, all the points the op raised are valid.

Justy God bless you... i tried to explain, share experience & one here was mouthing off about stupidity , a just waka pass!! A nor get time to argue with people for FUN.

@ bollinger, leave this matter alone, that you haven't had a personal encounter doesn't mean the points are not valid. you don't have to personally experience chemotherapy or fracture to know they are painful...

I was made to wait 3+ hours @ POE despite having the correct visa for my intention, while mails were flying around to verify my story, my cash was counted in the full glare of everyone, my cards were asked for, all my docs were read line by line,asked tons of questions but through all these, I raised no objection & provided what they requoired...

My phone wasn't looked through though...

Maybe the officer was already satisfied by then but God being my witness, I witnessed people's phones being looked into, most were allowed to go but a few entered their hands..

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by richard870(m): 5:01am On Jan 19, 2016
business4all:
Taken from different experiences of nairalanders that were turned back to Nigeria from port of entries.

1. Showing up at a port of entry different from what your stated in your visa application form. You will have to do a lot of explaining why you do that if its your first entry with the visa. people have been deported for that same reason.

2. Not having a return ticket back to your home country. this can be construed as having no plan to return to your country and you are immediately sent back before you are allowed to enter.

3. Not traveling with money. It was so embarrassing when i read a personal report of a nairalander how he was send back because he traveled with no kobo in his pocket hoping to arrived in the hand of a relation waiting to pick him up. He was only showing them mastercard as his only proof of fund that he had money in it. Unfortunately he was deported from the spot.

4. Going with excessive luggage making it look as if you are relocating. you stated that you are visiting for seven days but your luggage show otherwise that you have come to stayput. A nairaland had that as one of the reason he was deported. They did not trust him that he will leave their country because of his excess lauggage.

5. Going with your credential. it saddened my heart when i read a report of a girl by his nairalander brother how she was sent back from the port of entry simply because her credentials were found in her luggage. this gave her away as a immigrant going to look for a job as against going to visit or for tourism. For a student visa, that is understandable.

6. Having your destination country phone number on your phone while you stated that you do not know or have any relation in the country. This can arouse scrutiny to an extent of deporting you. I read how someone's phone was collected at the port of entry and the official look through it only to find a local phone number of the country when the traveler stated that he did not have any contact in the country.

7. Not going with the documents that confirm the purpose of your trip.
A nairalander was going for a program. He was asked to produce documents proof of the program. He didn't have it and he wanted to show them the soft copies of the documents maybe from his tablet or whatever. He was asked why didn't he have them on paper. He was not given any chance to show the soft copies until he was deported.

8. Going to give birth when you did not declare it during your visa interview. This is seriously frowned at. many heavily pregnant women have been sent back for that reason. If you scale through because your pregnancy is still not visible enough and you go to give birth, it will affect your next visa application negatively.

9. Using the visa for the first time for a purpose other than what it was issued for. You will need a lot of explaining to do as to why you change the purpose of use of the visa if you will no[img][/img] ort be deported.

10. Saying a different thing from what you filled in your visa application form. this could be dangerous.

so, you can add yours or your port of entry experience so we learn.

Nice one op, but all the afforementioned only apply to non-immigrant visa holders.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry by jaybee3(m): 5:50am On Jan 19, 2016
richard870:
Nice one op, but all the afforementioned only apply to non-immigrant visa holders.

See how you just made yourself look very stoooopid

The OP clearly mentioned "Turned back" and "refused" entry which can only happen to those requiring Temporary entry clearance (Visa)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos Staff Bus Driver Arrested For Causing Lagos Train/Bus Accident / Patos Oghenevwede Lands Plane Without Front Tyre (Video) / Kogi University Graduate Burnt To Death 2 Weeks Before Her NYSC (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.