Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,239 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! (9126 Views)

My Roommate Is A Serious Christian, But He Smokes Weed... / If You Are A Christian, But You Don't Tithe, Do You Go To Hell? / My Friend Is a Devoted Christian But Flirts Around (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 12:09pm On Nov 07, 2005
I'm a Christian But I Don't Need No Church!

I'm a Christian but I'm saying Goodbye to all churches. I don't need one.

Is there anything wrong with that? Can't I worship God in my room? Why do people think I'm not a serious Christian because I've chosen to stop going to church? Why must they try to drag me to church? Is it compulsory? Won't God answer my prayers in my room or would I go to hell because I have no church?

I don't want to live by the doctrines/dictates of a human being like me who calls himself a Pastor. I just want to follow Jesus. Somebody tell me what's wrong with that?

1 Like

Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by nferyn(m): 1:16pm On Nov 07, 2005
You are only following the spirit of the first protestants that broke with the Roman Catholic Church: for them the authority lay in their personal search for God by studying the Bible against a corrupt and wicked institutionalised church

Let your personal conscience guide you in these matter, you will come out a stronger and better person.

2 Likes

Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 07, 2005
we have something in common the only difference is that i don't believe in God!
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by Seun(m): 3:33pm On Nov 07, 2005
You can't say you don't need church:
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. - Hebrews 10:25

And you can't despise the role of Pastors:
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you. - Hebrews 13:17

That is, if you are a Christian who follows the bible. Do you follow the bible or does your Christianity exclude that?
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 5:08pm On Nov 07, 2005
Seun:

Do you follow the bible or does your Christianity exclude that?
Yes, I follow the Bible.

Seun:

You can't say you don't need church:
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. - Hebrews 10:25
"Assembling of ourselves together" as stated in this verse does not necessarily mean Church! If I go to my friend's house and we pray together and study God's word, that is still an assembly. The Bible says in Matthew 18:20; "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

Seun:

And you can't despise the role of Pastors:
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you. - Hebrews 13:17
Who told you that the "them" being referred to in this verse are Pastors?
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by NduGod(m): 6:24pm On Nov 07, 2005
this forum is becoming unbecoming. Michelin89 said she dosen't believe in God. am becoming afride of some of the members of this forum. l have said this before, let not bring religion issues here less we speak against our creator.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by nferyn(m): 7:39pm On Nov 07, 2005
Seun:

[SNIP]
That is, if you are a Christian who follows the bible. Do you follow the bible or does your Christianity exclude that?

There were quite a few Christians that didn't follow the Bible, but they were mercilessly persecuted by the established church, up to the level of pillaging, burning churches and killing everyone inside. The Gnostic Christian tradition has been exterminated root and branch by the Roman Catholic Church once Constantine declared Catholicism the official religion of the Roman Empire. The same goes for the Cathars in southern France.

The only significant non-biblical Christian tradition that is left is kept alive by the Ethiopian Christians. And the only reason why they are still around is because they were out of the reach of the Catholic Church.

Don't forget that only less than 10% of all gospels were witheld for the Bible. That choice of Gospels was purely for political reasons. Constantine just threw out all Bishops from the council of Nicea that were not willing to follow his line - and he wasn't even Christian at that time
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by adesodgi(m): 8:13pm On Nov 07, 2005
michelin89:

we have something in common the only difference is that i don't believe in God!
ye! you don't believe in God ke,oya tell me o,what do you believe in?
am thinking some one needs help..
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by nferyn(m): 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2005
adesodgi:

ye! you don't believe in God ke,oya tell me o,what do you believe in?
am thinking some one needs help..
Why? You don't need to believe to be a good, ethical person
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by vexxy(f): 8:51pm On Nov 07, 2005
IAH: I'm a Christian but I'm saying Goodbye to all churches. I don't need one.

IAH, let me tell you that there are a lot of people who feel this way.  Some say because they just don’t feel like being around people, others, because they just don’t feel like going through the process.  But let me say this: if you believe in the Bible, let’s see what it says about church:
When you become a Christian, you are called into a relationship with God: 1 Cor. 1:9 “9God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.”  But 1 John 1:3 “3We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.” makes it clear that we enter a fellowship that goes two ways: with God and with other Christians.

IAH: Is there anything wrong with that?  Can't I worship God in my room?  Why do people think I'm not a serious Christian because I've chosen to stop going to church?  Why must they try to drag me to church?  Is it compulsory? Won't God answer my prayers in my room or would I go to hell because I have no church?

You see, church is not exactly a building, rather, it’s the coming together of Christians.  We are not to forsake that because there are times in which we need each other, as a form of encouragement and fellowship.  It’s a place to share our burdens with one another and exhort one another. (Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. - Hebrews 10:25)

IAH: I don't want to live by the doctrines/dictates of a human being like me who calls himself a Pastor. I just want to follow Jesus. Somebody tell me what's wrong with that?

Now, when it comes to Pastor’s, Elders, Deacons, Teachers and the like you’re talking about those who were given gifts to help edify the body of Christ.  We all need one another to make up the complete body.

1 Corinthians 12 “21The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" 22On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.”

Acts 20:7 “ 7On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.”

Every time the apostle Paul comes to a town in the book of Acts where there are no Christians, he wins a few converts and immediately organizes them into a small group - a little church.  This is the way of life for Christians.  As they say “There’s strength in numbers.”  Even God himself is 3 in 1 not 1 in 1.

Hope this helps.

V
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by Chanfb(f): 10:12pm On Nov 07, 2005
IAH,

I first want to tell you that I know where you are coming from.  I have been at the place where I could not stand being around the "Holy rollers" and those with the doctrine (supposed mindset) of "you better turn before you burn" or "you are not right so if Jesus comes back while you sin you will be left behind.  I want to encourage you.  I was approached some years ago by someone saying to me "Chan when are you going to get saved and go to church"?  Well, my response to them was "God knows my heart and he is going to guide me back to church when it is his time".  Well all of those things were a set up for me.  The Lord had to take me through my Damascus Road experience in order to bring me where I am now.  Iah I want you to look at the last statement you wrote,  You said
I just want to follow Jesus.

Do you know that by following Jesus you are being commissioned to go and spread the Gospel or Good News of Jesus Christ.  If you look through any of the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke & John) notice how Jesus tells them to pick up there cross and follow him.  By following him we go into places that are not comfortable.  We are called to follow the legacy Jesus left.  This legacy is stated in Luke 4:18-19

To follow is defined as:
To go after in or as if in pursuit; To move along the course of; take

I am not saying all of this to you in a discouraing way.  As a Sister in Christ I want you to know the Truth (which is Jesus Christ) and the Truth will and shall make you free.  That is why Jesus Christ is our Saviour because he came as a sacrifice to make us free the law of sin and death. 

I just want to leave one thing of encouragement for you.  Remember that Jesus came to Justify us.  Justify means "Just if I never sinned".

Be encouraged!
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by Oracle(m): 12:15am On Nov 08, 2005
well u are a christian and as a christian u know what is right.
girl, it is written in the BIBLE that u should fellowship with other
brethren and itz not always possible in your room
so girl uv got to go to that church
well these days there are some crazy churches in town
whose principles are not based on the doctrines of the BIBLE
so get a good Bible Believing Church and go and serve[b] GOD[/b].

Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by ldollier(f): 4:10am On Nov 08, 2005
IAH.. srry to rain on your parade... but u cant be a christian if u dont go to church... i believe it says going to church... interacting with the saints sharpens one's faith..NO... u cant worship God in ur house... u really need to go to church and sincerely identify with the saints.. dont get it wrong with people that just go to church to gossip..
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 8:58am On Nov 08, 2005
NduGod:

this forum is becoming unbecoming. Michelin89 said she dosen't believe in God. am becoming afride of some of the members of this forum. l have said this before, let not bring religion issues here less we speak against our creator.

What is so unbecoming about Michelin89 not believing in God? Each with his own. If you believe in God, hold on to him and if you don't, fine! I think this is a virtual community that should accommodate people with different beliefs. So don't judge others based on their opinions or beliefs. angry You may try to convince her of God's existence but not in this manner!

@Vexxy, chanfb, Oracle and Idollier
If you read my reply to Seun's post, I have replied that fellowship with other believers does not necessarily mean church. Here...
IAH:

"Assembling of ourselves together" as stated in this verse does not necessarily mean Church! If I go to my friend's house and we pray together and study God's word, that is still an assembly. The Bible says in Matthew 18:20; "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by chum(m): 10:18am On Nov 08, 2005
Michelin89 I want to believe you are joking,
if not, i think i will have a problem with you
else you will have to rephrase your words, plz
am not trying to take it personal, NduGod has said it all
"God is God"
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by CimonJorr(m): 10:21am On Nov 08, 2005
@ IAH..

Babe...

What defines a "Church"... but by being a body of believers..

The mere fact that u gather with one or more believers to fellowship simply means that u are forming ur own "Church" for that purpose..

We shouldnt hold on too rigidly to definitions..

People migrate from church to church seeking the face of GOD in their lives.. Sometimes, a particular church doctrine may not agree with you.. The bottom line is to study His WORD carefully, and understand it..
Your spirit will direct u as to the best place for ur spiritual development.. but to grow spirutually, u do need to be with believers who would encourage u, and put you right when u're wrong.. they also provide a means of support through dificult times, especially through shared experiences (testimony)..

Follow ur heart directed by the Spirit and the WORD ... smiley
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by CimonJorr(m): 10:25am On Nov 08, 2005
People should leave Michelin89 alone..
If the person's choice is to be an aethist.. so be it (not everyone is a Christian)..

we shoud be praying for a spiritual revelation in the person's life... for enlightenment and upliftment..

Even if u want to convert her/him, nothing is gained by being confrontational..
Christianity is a religion of free-will.. not one of "By Force"..

chum:

"God is God"
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by nferyn(m): 10:27am On Nov 08, 2005
chum:

"God is God"

Why can't you accept that people hold different beliefs. It neither makes them better, nor worse. Follow your conscience and try to lead a good life. Morality is not the exclusive property of one or another religion.
Michelin89 has made it quite clear that she is an atheist and she should not be chastised for that
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by lioness(f): 1:33pm On Nov 08, 2005
rolleyes Tufearkwa for some talks.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by lioness(f): 2:00pm On Nov 08, 2005
michelin89 Your belief is yours. am just wondering,do u believe in witchcraft, ghost, devil or demons oreven forces of darkeness, wickedness, forces of water or skies
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by sexton(m): 2:09pm On Nov 08, 2005
Hola,
Sometimes in life you get to a point like this, I'm there right now so I know what it is, But tomorrow it may be your turn, so people all you need to do and even before commenting on this topic is to pray (If you a Christian) for a Christian that does not Need a Church.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by vexxy(f): 3:07pm On Nov 08, 2005
IAH, I understand what you're saying which is why I said this:

vexxy: Every time the apostle Paul comes to a town in the book of Acts where there are no Christians, he wins a few converts and immediately organizes them into a small group - a little church.  This is the way of life for Christians.  As they say “There’s strength in numbers.”  Even God himself is 3 in 1 not 1 in 1.

That is a church.  A church is not a building, a church is the gathering of believers.

1 Like

Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 08, 2005
thank you a lot my supporters! of course i believe in something: good and bad! a man has two parts in him the good and the bad and it's his choice to make one prevail  on the other. if there are other things that influence our being i don't think they are strange spiritual forces but people we live with! a good apple sorrunded by bad apple will also become  a bad apple, but a good apple sorrounded by good apples will maintain its goodness.

neryn cimonjorr kiss
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by snowsdream(f): 3:54pm On Nov 08, 2005
You dont have to follow the doctrine of any pastor if you think the doctrine is not from God.
You can go to chuch for other things apart from obeying the doctrine of any pastor. Though you can praise God in your home but to be a better christain you God go to church to be lifted in spirit.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by CimonJorr(m): 4:44pm On Nov 08, 2005
@ Michelin89

I actually took time to go to your personal blog and try to understand ur motivations for being an aethist...
Funnily enough I saw that you did actually go to church at some time in your life but (maybe as an exercise of free-will) later chose to stop..

I'm not supporting your choice to stop worshiping God... However I do not condone when people try to bludgeon others into a particular way of thinking or belief..

I do hope, with time as you grow older, you will see the good things God has done for you in your life, and you will make the choice again to start going to church..

michelin89:

thank you a lot my supporters! of course i believe in something: good and bad! a man has two parts in him the good and the bad and it's his choice to make one prevail  on the other. if there are other things that influence our being i don't think they are strange spiritual forces but people we live with! a good apple sorrunded by bad apple will also become  a bad apple, but a good apple sorrounded by good apples will maintain its goodness.

neryn cimonjorr kiss
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 08, 2005
CimonJorr:

I'm not supporting your choice to stop worshiping God... However I do not condone when people try to bludgeon others into a particular way of thinking or belief..
i know you aren't supporting my choice rather than the fact that you respect it!
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by CimonJorr(m): 4:59pm On Nov 08, 2005
Yes...

I do respect the fact that we are all individuals... And that we all make different choices which affect and influence our lives/lifestyles... And I respectfully believe that we are all accountable to God at the end of our lives here on earth, where we will all give account of ourselves..

michelin89:

i know you aren't supporting my choice rather than the fact that you respect it!
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by NduGod(m): 6:23pm On Nov 08, 2005
what is so unbecoming about Michelin89 not believing in God? IAH you said, you that posted this topic at the first place for peoples opinion what do you think? If you are a true christian and believe in the holy Bible you read in your room and not in church servic then Michelin89 will be right. l havn't said that Michelin89 is evil.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 7:01pm On Nov 08, 2005
NduGod, please review and modify your post. I guess you were in a hurry when typing it, it doesn't make any sense at all!
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by NduGod(m): 6:23pm On Nov 09, 2005
IAH what l mean is that a true christian is not surpose to support the idea that there is no God irespective of religion or believe. so can you see the meaning in my post now.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by IAH(f): 7:39pm On Nov 09, 2005
NduGod:

IAH what l mean is that a true christian is not surpose to support the idea that there is no God irespective of religion or believe. so can you see the meaning in my post now.

Ok, I understand now. But I am not supporting her. I am just saying that she should not be chastised for that.
Re: I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! by goodguy(m): 10:02pm On Nov 09, 2005
interesting.. cool

Why must they try to drag me to church?
Because they love you.
Is it compulsory?
Yes it is.
Won't God answer my prayers in my room or would I go to hell because I have no church?
Are you sure you really pray in your room while others are in church? What really is stoping you from going to church?
I don't want to live by the doctrines/dictates of a human being like me who calls himself a Pastor.
These pastors are those representing Christ here on earth to help spread the gospel. They are otherwise known as MEN OF GOD. If you don't want to live by the doctrines of a human being, then I guess your husband (or you) will be in some real mess.

IAH claims to be a christian, she claims to read her Bible and yet doesn't believe in going to church?! Very ridiculous indeed! I guess vexxy has said it all. There's no point wasting our time..

P.S. Incase y'all don't know, Wesley too doesn't believe in the existence of God. lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

12 Questions People Ask About The Christian Faith / Nigerian Pastor Beats Wife To Coma / Do You Go To Church Without Having An Offering?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.