Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,060 members, 7,835,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan (1191 Views)

I Have Learnt From My Mistakes, 2017 Will Be Trophy-laden - Dalung / I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal, Except I’m Admiring His Shoes / Six Lessons We Have Learnt By Reuben Abati (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by Okimski(m): 5:27pm On Jan 15, 2016
Remarks by His Excellency, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan,
Former President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
The Southern Christian Leadership Conference,
Atlanta, on Thursday 14th, January, 2016.
Protocols
I thank the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, for
inviting and honoring me today, and especially so, as this
invitation comes right about the period when the world
stands still in recognition of the selfless sacrifice of Dr.
Martin Luther King Jr.
When we think of the Southern Christian Leadership
Conference (SCLC), it is virtually impossible to separate this
worthy body from its founder, the late great Dr. Martin
Luther King Jr, or from epoch making landmark events of
the American Civil Rights movement.
I am pleased to know that the Southern Christian
Leadership Conference is not just one of the great American
institutions, it is also one of her more potent vehicles for the
advancement of liberty and freedom for all God’s people.
For that, I also commend Charles Steele for his leadership
and commitment to peace and justice nationally and
globally.
The Southern Christian Leadership Conference and Dr.
Martin Luther King Jr’s principles of non violent protests
played a great part in the independence movement in my
native country Nigeria and indeed throughout Africa as a
whole.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr witnessed the British Union Jack
being lowered in Ghana in 1957 when Ghana became the
first Sub-Saharan African nation to gain independence, an
action which set off a positive chain reaction all over the
continent.
In 1963, Ambassador Leslie O. Harriman, Nigeria’s
Permanent Representative to the United Nations, who
prosecuted our anti apartheid strategy at the UN, testified of
the support he received from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr in
kick starting that noble effort.
Suffice to say that the efforts of the Southern Christian
Leadership Conference and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr in
advancing Liberty and equal rights transcended national
boundaries.
Speaking for my foundation, the Goodluck Jonathan
Foundation, I must say that I have been inspired by this
great man and the worthy institutions and legacies he left
behind and I am further inspired to continuing doing good
and advancing human freedoms just by being present here
today.
My personal takeaway from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, is
service to God and the brotherhood and equality of all men
before their Creator.
In keeping with that, I have learnt not to look up to any man,
except he is taller than I, or to look down on a fellow mortal,
except I am admiring his shoes.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. famously said: “Power at its best
is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its
best is love correcting everything that stands against love”.
Those words helped me deliver on my stated promise to
deepen democracy in Nigeria and in the process
demonstrate through action that nobody’s political ambition
is worth the blood of any Nigerian.
Once again, I thank the Southern Christian Leadership
Conference for having me. May God bless you and continue
to raise up from among you men and women who will
continue in the footsteps of your worthy forebears.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/15/i-have-learnt-not-to-look-down-on-a-fellow-mortal-except-im-admiring-his-shoes-jonathan/

Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by donbenedict(m): 5:28pm On Jan 15, 2016
Tell me something...
Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by Okimski(m): 5:31pm On Jan 15, 2016
My man my man, yes oo
nobody’s political ambition is worth the blood of any Nigerian.
Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by vedaxcool(m): 5:33pm On Jan 15, 2016
He who is down fears no fall and is probably to low to look down at anyone. grin grin enjoy your retirement.

1 Like

Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by Tunami(m): 5:34pm On Jan 15, 2016
caveat emptor
Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by satelliteDISH(m): 5:35pm On Jan 15, 2016
Na now you come understand say looking down on Amechi was the biggest mistake you made on your political career life. Sorry Sir, experience they say is the best teacher.

1 Like

Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by Adminisher: 5:36pm On Jan 15, 2016
vedaxcool:
He who is down fears no fall and is probably to low to look down at anyone. grin grin enjoy your retirement.

After we recover our money.
Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by omenka(m): 5:39pm On Jan 15, 2016
I knew this since I was in primary 4, yet this man is knowing it after over 50years!!

They call him El No Clue for a good reason.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by tsdarkside(m): 5:40pm On Jan 15, 2016
this guy still dey talk??.....hahahaha... grin grin grin....he bring me to laugh like shekau.... grin grin grin grin grin...bunch of clowns... grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by mazzi: 5:48pm On Jan 15, 2016
Oga jona my man,I love you sir but you and shoe thou grin
Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by Goke7: 5:52pm On Jan 15, 2016
Gej telling lies up and down, truly he does not look down on any mortal after it took him 3 weeks to believe that the chibok girls were kidnapped.

Of course his ambition was not worth any blood but surely it worth billion of dollars mr fortunato

1 Like

Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by GANJAFARMER: 5:55pm On Jan 15, 2016
Goke7:
Gej telling lies up and down, truly he does not look down on any mortal after it took him 3 weeks to believe that the chibok girls were kidnapped.

Of course his ambition was not worth any blood but surely it worth billion of dollars mr fortunato
I heard your new Messiah in Aso Rock just found the girls - Wasn't that part of the campaign slogan? undecided

2 Likes

Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by tpiah2: 6:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
true, when you look down on people you are looking down on yourself.

1 Like

Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by ejiinii: 6:34pm On Jan 15, 2016
This are the kind of thread you always comment we have serious national issues like fake budget from buhari and dollars going for 300$ you will not comment only to come here and insult the new Mandela of Africa

omenka:
I knew this since I was in primary 4, yet this man is knowing it after over 50years!!

They call him El No Clue for a good reason.

3 Likes

Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by drss(m): 6:46pm On Jan 15, 2016
''I have learnt not to look up to any man, except he is taller than I, or to look down on a fellow mortal, except I am admiring his shoes.'' ~ Goodluck Jonathan.
my best quote for 2016! cheesy
God bless GEJ! smiley

2 Likes

Re: I Have Learnt Not To Look Down On A Fellow Mortal — Jonathan by drss(m): 6:51pm On Jan 15, 2016
satelliteDISH:
Na now you come understand say looking down on Amechi was the biggest mistake you made on your political career life. Sorry Sir, experience they say is the best teacher.
has buari dullard found d missing budget

(1) (Reply)

Marry Two Wives OR Be Arrested; Eritrea Gets New Law Ov / Bomb Explosion In Benin City / Why We Won’t Pass 2016 Budget As Promised – National Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.