Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,352 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! (4645 Views)

Experienced Pig Farmers Please Advise Me. / Nairaland Farmers 2017 Testimonies / Farmers Please Assist These Students. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by DarryOsh(m): 10:24am On Jan 16, 2016
Towards the end of last year, my sister and I decided to grow tomatoes (and peppers too) for fun. We cleared very small area of land, burst open real tomatoes (and peppers and scattered their seeds). We didn't expect it to grow so well. To our surprise, they flourished and within a short period brought forth very juicy tomatoes (The peppers never grew!). It was a rewarding experience.

At this point, let me point out that my knowledge and experience of agriculture is limited to Agricultural science as taught in secondary school. It was one of my favourite subject and we did lots of practicals.

So we decided to take a risk and grow another batch in the second week of December, in the middle of harmattan. The land was do hard and dry but we went ahead anyway. We cleared a bigger portion of land. There is no water tap on that side of our house, so we had to haul lots of buckets of water to soften the land and then we planted. At a point we were not sure it would grow because of the very dry harmattan. Yet we went ahead. We Planted the tomatoes (and a very small quantity of peppers too). We both have busy schedules but we managed to create a roster to wet and weed morning and evening with lots of water. Tomatoes aren't so expensive, but there was something fun about growing your own food.

To our surprise, our efforts paid off. The tomatoes grew fresher and faster than the last. It appeared that in our zeal, we had planted too many within too little space, and it all looked choked up, so we reckoned there was nothing we could do but just let the plants grow. By a months, there were small yellow flower, indicating that the tomatoes would soon begin to come out. I was happy.

Pause, the reason for my long story is so that you would know the pains we went through for the sake of these tomatoes.

Then last week, I washed one of my new shirts, and the colours were bleeding out a lot. I went outside and then I dipped the shirt in a 30 litres bowl of water that was beside the house to rinse it it before spreading. So the colour of the water turned very slightly greenish (it was a green shirt) and then my sister said she had intended to wet our tomatoes with that bowl of water, and that she was not willing to go inside to get another one. Because it was just one shirt and the water was plenty, I told her we could still use it. And so we wet the tomatoes.

The following day I was inspecting my tomatoes, and there was a pile of humus lying close by - dead plants that had been cleared out earlier and had decayed. I remembered my Agric. Science teacher said humus was good for plants, so I took a shovel and spread the humus all over the tomatoes and then wet them so that the humus would make it to the bottom where the roots would tap the nutrients.

In the middle of last week, my sister alerted me that the tomatoes were dying, starting from the ones at the centre. I told her it was probably just one or two plants that are dying for some reason. Besides, there were a lot more flowers than the last time, so the tomatoes must be growing....so I thought. But today, I saw it clearly. They were dying!! like seriously dying!!. The leaves are going limp and are wilting. And they haven't grown taller since last week. At this rate, there would probably be no single plant standing by next week. Its so, so saddening.

Now I wonder, was it the clothes water (my sister thinks it was)? Or was it the humus? Or was it some kind of disease?

More importantly, what can we do to save our tomatoes.
By the way, the peppers never grew. I wonder why.

Here is a photo of a section of the tomato garden. It used to be very very green, now its like lemon-yellow.

Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by opeadura(f): 3:19pm On Jan 17, 2016
It is the clothe water that cause it not the humus becos the water contain the chemical from the cloth.It will grow back but it will first die and it will take some time.What you need is SUPER GRO PRODUCT. For more info call me on the no in my signature
Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by Viktour01: 4:17pm On Jan 26, 2016
opeadura:
It is the clothe water that cause it not the humus becos the water contain the chemical from the cloth.It will grow back but it will first die and it will take some time.What you need is SUPER GRO PRODUCT. For more info call me on the no in my signature
first of all that is crap, and I think you know it. Super GRO is no fertilizer or anything super important. it's just something which makes water intake by plant easier. Seriously, we are here 2 share information that helps us out, not sell worthless products like u are doing right now. Pls sir, refrain from that. Thanks.

10 Likes

Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by DarryOsh(m): 4:43pm On Feb 03, 2016
Viktour01:
first of all that is crap, and I think you know it. Super GRO is no fertilizer or anything super important. it's just something which makes water intake by plant easier. Seriously, we are here 2 share information that helps us out, not sell worthless products like u are doing right now. Pls sir, refrain from that. Thanks.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Anyway, the tomatoes died. Every single one.
Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by INFOTECH2: 5:03pm On Feb 03, 2016
It's very likely that the chemical from the water caused this death of your tomato.

Replant and keep going on. You might have just discovered your line of business

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by OluchiDelly: 11:16am On Feb 04, 2016
INFOTECH2:
It's very likely that the chemical from the water caused this death of your tomato.

Replant and keep going on. You might have just discovered your line of business

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by opeadura(f): 9:27pm On Feb 11, 2016
Viktour01:

You didn't have any good advise to give and you still criticized the good ideas I gave to him which had worked for me and you talked as if u know the work of the product. Ignorance is a disease and its kills.
Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by jhaybee: 11:58pm On Feb 11, 2016
A lot of things could have gone wrong. Possibly the concentration of the water, 2. The population of tomato seedlings per sqr foot. 3. Maybe leafborne disease.
General cultural practices is weed, running regularly and don't pour just anyhow water again... When wetting wet carefully to avoid splashes of soil to the leaf surface.
Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by lastmessenger: 1:38pm On Feb 12, 2016
Seeing that it is a matter of life and death of the tomatoes, I suggest that you fast and pray.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by Tanari: 12:01am On Jun 05, 2016
Are you tired of watching your crops been eaten up by wicked pests newly in town?
Have you tried all the chemicals in the market and surnamed the pests stubborn?
DONT WORRY WE SHARE YOUR PAINS
CALL 09095951620 for ORGANIC PEST SOLUTION
SECURE YOUR CROPS FOR BETTER PRODUCTIONS
THANKS
Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by Ivory45: 12:38am On Dec 19, 2017
Excel Foods and AgricIultural Company is looking for
Farm mananger:4-5yrs hands on practical experience is required.
To be placed on Salary and must reside in Imo state / Abia state axis area
Bsc or HND qualification compulsory in any course
Farm Supervisors: 2-3yrs Hands on practical experience is required.
To be placed on salary and must reside in Imo state / Abia state axis area
Bsc or HND qualification is an added advantage.

Interested candidates should forward their CV to prezzyivy@yahoo.com and send their details using the position applied for as the subject.

Application date closes 2weeks from the publication of this advert.
Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by adigun123456: 11:05am On Nov 06, 2018
I'm in need of a job preferably in Ibadan or any western state, a qualified animal scientist with a vast knowledge in poultry production.......
My phone/watsapp number is 07037872180
My email address is dareadigun428@gmail.com
Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by adigun123456: 11:09am On Nov 06, 2018
I'm in need of a job preferably in Ibadan or any western state, a qualified animal scientist with a vast knowledge in poultry production.......
Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by Adeola1122: 7:33am On Feb 02, 2019
adigun123456:

Anybody that knows any Animal sciences group here should please add me up 08101835659 or any agriculturist group
Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by samshoz(m): 3:44pm On Oct 27, 2020
For your affordable organic manure/foliar fertilizer need, I have some rabbits urine and droppings for your vegetables/plants need. #35 per kg of rabbits droppings & #40 per litre of rabbits urine. Slight discount for bulk purchase.

Contact / WhatsApp 08020903112

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by Erigbemi(m): 4:34pm On Jan 31, 2021
If you need east west hybrid F1 seeds and other farm product like fertilizers, knapsack, drip tapes, plastic mulch, drip accessories, uv sheets and other farm input. For more enquiries contact me on 08138904011

Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by ibrabdul72(m): 5:43pm On Jan 31, 2021
Erigbemi:
If you need east west hybrid F1 seeds and other farm product like fertilizers, knapsack, drip tapes, plastic mulch, drip accessories, uv sheets and other farm input. For more enquiries contact me on 08138904011

How much is your drip tape and what sizes do you have?
Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by Erigbemi(m): 11:49am On Feb 04, 2021
1500m 0.03 inche for 80,000
Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by Erigbemi(m): 1:03am On Feb 10, 2021
1500 meter 0.03 inch for 80,000 naira
Re: Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!! by Favoritechild: 12:06pm On Oct 25, 2021
Do you have an occasion and you wonder how you can get your Vegetables? The answer has finally come. I can send you TOMATOES,PEPPERS,ONIONS,REDBELL PEPPERS AND CRAYFISH.

Book for yours now.you can contact us @
Foryourveges@gmail.com or call us on 09154781276 smiley

(1) (Reply)

CBN Grants Loan To 75,000 Wheat Farmers To Boost Agriculture / 4000lt Water Geepee Tanks / Mighty Snake That Was Killed At A Poultry In Jeddo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.