Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,312 members, 7,819,061 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo (47220 Views)

2019: Omoyele Sowore Visits Alaafin Of Oyo Over His Presidential Ambition / Davood Roostaei Draws Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi's Portrait In USA (Pics) / Ooni Adeyeye-Ogunwusi Remarries As Marriage Crashes - SDK (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by Praktikals(m): 7:53pm On Jan 17, 2016
Nowenuse:
Between the Ooni of Ife and the Alaafin of Oyo, who is actually superior in yoruba land??
Ooni of Ife has no equal in Yoruba Land.

5 Likes

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by DIVINE78: 7:54pm On Jan 17, 2016
Although Alaafin is a muslim he read the Holy Bible in a church to mark his thanksgiving.
Northern Muslims have a lot to learn from the Yorubas.

12 Likes

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by 4nobody4every1: 7:55pm On Jan 17, 2016
warrenweste:

that is a very wrong assumption
.Correct me with the real info grin
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by tobtap: 7:55pm On Jan 17, 2016
DIVINE78:
Although Alaafin is a muslim he read the Holy Bible in a church to mark his thanksgiving.
Northern Muslims have a lot to learn from the Yorubas.
GBAM cool
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by omooba969(m): 7:58pm On Jan 17, 2016
warrenweste:

you dont see the importance of having an oba yet your moniker/username bears omooba? undecided issokay

How does this affect/change my views about what is common knowledge to all. Even though 'm a child/subject of a dynasty, it doesn't change the fact that my generation thinks or sees differently & majority of these traditional rulers are corrupt & divisive in every sense of that word.

I believe they can apply themselves better. cool
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by 0peyemi123(m): 7:58pm On Jan 17, 2016
oti sese, asese
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by Emyben(m): 7:58pm On Jan 17, 2016
The only vital thing i picked here is suprisingly not Oba this or Oba that but the fact that Oba Lamidi held his celebration in a Church. I thought he was a muslim? In this vein, i must hail the ethnic group where he hails from. Religious tolerance is one of the keys to a peaceful Nigeria.

Thats one thing i think i like about the SW.. Religiom is never an issue for them. Kudos

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by omooba969(m): 8:00pm On Jan 17, 2016
Praktikals:

Shoro niyen?

Is dat all? undecided

Mtcheeew. cool
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by mart2k(m): 8:03pm On Jan 17, 2016
omooba969:
I still don't understand the importance of this obas other than upholding incongruous culture & traditions.

They haven't brought about any progress or development in any shape or form whatsoever. They probably lack ideas. Most of them are divisive figures and political arse lickers, the reason they are pawns in the hands of robber politicians in the scheme of things.

Corrupt Obas.

cool
Are we practising monarchy in Nigeria? D answer is no. Wit ur comment, I knew u know nothing.
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by omooba969(m): 8:04pm On Jan 17, 2016
Emyben:
The only vital thing i picked here is suprisingly not Oba this or Oba that but the fact that Oba Lamidi held his celebration in a Church. I thought he was a muslim? In this vein, i must hail the ethnic group where he hails from. Religious tolerance is one of the keys to a peaceful Nigeria.

Thats one thing i think i like about the SW.. Religiom is never an issue for them. Kudos

It shows how developed we have become as a tribe, how liberal & tolerant we are. We no dey carry inconsequential matters for head. smiley

Proud to be YORUBA! cool

9 Likes

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by LydayBobo(m): 8:07pm On Jan 17, 2016
nawtikid:
Why is dis on frontpage twice
in case a naughty kid missed the first one

1 Like

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by omooba969(m): 8:09pm On Jan 17, 2016
mart2k:
Are we practising monarchy in Nigeria? D answer is no. Wit ur comment, I knew u know nothing.

Gibberish! grin

You have lost your argument already. You need to educate yourself on the roles of royals in the west & arab world, only then will you be humble enough to offer sacrifice to me. cheesy

I 'm willing to be of Ozil to you if you need help ok. cheesy

Mumu. cool
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by AreaFada2: 8:12pm On Jan 17, 2016
akinvest:
Traditionally Alaafin Oyo supirior but Politically Ooni is head.

I think it is the opposite.

In modern politics, since about 500 years in fact, Alaafin has more clout. Culturally, historically and spiritually for Yorubaland and beyond, The Ooni any day.

Descendants of Ooni family are in some ruling houses in Edo/Niger Delta.

3 Likes

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by 4nobody4every1: 8:16pm On Jan 17, 2016
AreaFada2:

I think it is the opposite.

In modern politics, since about 500 years in fact, Alaafin has more clout. Culturally, historically and spiritually for Yorubaland and beyond, The Ooni any day.

Descendants of Ooni family are in some ruling houses in Edo/Niger Delta.
......So it means the Oni is superior, right....
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jan 17, 2016
micronut:
Today being the 45th year anniversary of His Imperial Majesty, the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba lamidi Adeyemi lll. The newly crowned Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, Ojaja ll, as a mark of honour and a lover of peace surprisingly showed up at the Alaafin Atiba's palace this afternoon.

History was made on Sunday as the new Ooni of Ife‎, Oba Ogunwusi became the first Ooni to visit Oyo town since 1937.

The Methodist Church, Apaara, venue of the 45th coronation anniversary thanksgiving of Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III, became electrified immediately news filtered in that Oba Ogunwusi’s convoy has reached Owode, followed by many other Obas.

The late Ooni Sijuwade and Oba Adeyemi were embroiled in supremacy battle.

Decked in the normal Ooni trademark attire, Oba Ogunwusi shook hands with the Alaafin and they sat on the same chair, both beaming with smiles.

An elated Oba Adeyemi, who had earlier read from the Bible, said the last time an Ooni visited the Alaafin was in 1937, adding that he was ver‎y close to many Obas in Yorubaland and beyond.

Revealing how close he was to Ooni Adesoji Aderemi, the monarch said he never disrespected him but prayed for his longevity on the throne. “The misunderstanding started during the reign of the last Ooni. May your reign be long, Ooni.‎ I am happy with Ooni Ogunwusi’s moves to unite all Yoruba Obas,” Oba Adeyemi stated.

Oba Ogunwusi described Alaafin as a great monarch‎, noting that “it is a new dawn for all Yoruba sons and daughters around the globe,” He ended his speech with the song ‘Ore l’ao mase…Awa o ba ti ja wa ooo, Ore l’ao ma sem” (We will continue to be friends).”

Oba Ogunwusi and other Obas were later hosted inside the Palace of the Alaafin.

Present at the historic event were more than 30 Obas that accompanied the new Ooni, which included the Timi of Ede, Owa Ajero of Ijero, Ore of Otun Ekiti‎, Orangun of Ila, Akinrun of Ikirun, Aragbiji of Iragbiji and Elerin of Erin Osun

No doubt, this rare gesture of the Ooni of Ife showed he is truly a simple monarch and the arrow head for peace in Yorubaland. .. And it futher shows he has not been on the throne for any rivalry.

Indeed he is a peacemaker.
Kabiyesi oooo
Long reign the Alaafin of Oyo, Iku baba yeye.
Long reign the Ooni of Ife, the Aarole Odua.
Long reign to Yoruba land in general.

http://thenationonlineng.net/475503-2/

cc: lalasticlala,seun,ishlove,fynestboi, odumchi, Fulaman198, bigfrancis21.

It would have been complete if His Excellency Sanusi rode in on a Camel from Kano grin

1 Like

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by sapientia(m): 8:23pm On Jan 17, 2016
was the Oba of Benin there?
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by Haryohdeji(m): 8:25pm On Jan 17, 2016
BruzMoney:
Oba ton gba idide oba
that is God
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by ilemobayo40: 8:28pm On Jan 17, 2016
i think ooni should be superior cos he is the one who occupy the palace of oduduwa.

1 Like

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by AreaFada2: 8:36pm On Jan 17, 2016
4nobody4every1:
......So it means the Oni is superior, right....

I think that is the wrong way to look at it.

To the world for centuries, Oyo Empire kept the flag flying. Fighting off Jihadists that would have subjugated all of Yourubaland under the Fulanis. Despite losing Illorin.

Benin Empire did same to Keep jihadists from invading Northern Edo from Idah. The wars lasted good six years.

The Hausa kingdoms for example did not succeed in doing that.

But before that, Oodua and his descendant rulers enabled the process of at least minimally centralizing Yorubaland towards a greater sense of ethnic/cultural identity. And that is no mean feat.

At this point in history, it should be about complimenting each other:The Ooni, Alaafin, Awujale, Olowo, Alake, Deji, Eleko, Olubadan, Ataoja, Soun, and many others.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by Duru009(m): 8:37pm On Jan 17, 2016
Wow......

I luv this oooo

peace in yorubaland....
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by Bimpe29: 8:45pm On Jan 17, 2016
Meaningful development can only take place under a peaceful and united atmosphere. Kudos to Ooni Ogunwusi.
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by scholes0(m): 8:47pm On Jan 17, 2016
Lovely!
Let peace reign....
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by 4nobody4every1: 8:51pm On Jan 17, 2016
AreaFada2:

I think that is the wrong way to look at it.

To the world for centuries, Oyo Empire kept the flag flying. Fighting off Jihadists that would have subjugated all of Yourubaland under the Fulanis. Despite losing Illorin.

Benin Empire did same to Keep jihadists from invading Northern Edo from Idah. The wars lasted good six years.

The Hausa kingdoms for example did not succeed in doing that.

But before that, Oodua and his descendant rulers enabled the process of at least minimally centralizing Yorubaland towards a greater sense of ethnic/cultural identity. And that is no mean feat.
very informative cool
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by 7lives: 8:56pm On Jan 17, 2016
absoluteSuccess:
To God be the glory,

Yoruba d'araba t'apa ota ko ka,

Adi apaadi feregede tii siwaju onifonna.

Adi eye odidere, tii ye igi gbogbo loko.

Odoniran Iran, Iran baba wa nii j'oba.

Oriwa nii d'ade owo,

Orun wa asi maa w'ejigbara ileke.

Arawa a maa wo mosaaji,

Aso oba tii kanna yanranyanran.

Mosumo'ba ni'won egbeje,

Mo jina s'oba ni'won egbefa.

Obafemi ni'won egberindinlogun,

Aroba fin l'oba pa.

Baba ke pe o.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by jerryadigun: 8:57pm On Jan 17, 2016
Lady F don come again ooo cheesy : grin grin
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by SirAfoy1(m): 9:02pm On Jan 17, 2016
peace comes to only those who want it

1 Like

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by pweshboi(m): 9:03pm On Jan 17, 2016
Nowenuse:
Between the Ooni of Ife and the Alaafin of Oyo, who is actually superior in yoruba land??

Ion think that question is necessary, they should sort that out between themselves. Thats what Brough this 'rivalry' between the late Ooni and the current Alaafin of Oyo. Since the new Ooni is seeing beyond the mere supremacy 'thing' then why should we there subjects still be bent on who is SUPREME?

2 Likes

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by NovusHomo(m): 9:33pm On Jan 17, 2016
This, perhaps, is the happiest day to all Yoruba. United, we will stand. Thanks to both the Alaafin and the Ooni.

1 Like

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by kosokoadeyemi: 10:15pm On Jan 17, 2016
kabiyesi ooooooooooooooo
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by oluwasegun007(m): 10:23pm On Jan 17, 2016
Sign of humility...
Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by honifome(m): 10:55pm On Jan 17, 2016
IKU BABA YEYE(one who orders death sentence)ALASE EKEJI ORISA(second in command to gods)OBA TI N FOBA JE(the king that crown kings)OBA TI N GBA IDOBALE OBA(the king that acceptskings salute).....this is just an extract from alaafin of oyo eulogies.At the peak of oyo empire,yoruba glory was at its acme,oyo dominates political leadership of the entire yoruba kingdoms,our unity was like collectionof brooms tied together to do the sweeping,the empire created strong defence tactics against the neigbouring enemies and were forced to pay tributes at oyos will in those days.Alaafin of oyo confirmed the appointments of prominent obas such as alake of egbaland,osile oke ona,olowu of owu,onisabe of sabe,alaketu of ketu,owa obokun of ijesha land etc before their independence conquests.Alaafin approved the establishment of other thrones such as awujale of ijebuland,soun of ogbomoso,olubadan of ibadan,timi of ede etc.Oyo dynasty designed prominent military rulers for yoruba such as bashorun and aare ona kakanfo.Alaafin has the final say on disputes between obas and other other yoruba kingdoms.oyo conquest expanded yoruba land greatly at the peakof the empire.ile ife was recognise as cradle and sacred place for yoruba.Hence it's duty of oyo to protect ife from attack and no oba was recognized by alaafin but the chief priest called ooni. I am happy about ooni visits but supremacy tussle will continue unless he accepts alaafin superiority in yorubaland.

2 Likes

Re: Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo by Emyben(m): 11:08pm On Jan 17, 2016
omooba969:

It shows how developed we have become as a tribe, how liberal & tolerant we are. We no dey carry inconsequential matters for head. smiley

Proud to be YORUBA! cool

Hmm.. If you are not proud of your ethnicity, who will do that for you?

Am proud to be IBO too cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oba Ewuare ll N’Ogidigan, The 39th Oba Of Benin In His Regal Glory / Alaafin Gifts Daughter, Princess Zainab, Car For Graduating With First Class / 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.