Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,787 members, 7,827,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House (37755 Views)

A Hippopotamus Killed At Jebba, Niger State (Photos) / Big Martial Eagle Killed At Ogbomosho, Oyo State (Photos) / Man Kills African Civet In Umuahia, Abia. Poses With It (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by Marvel1206: 12:07pm On Jan 18, 2016
na racoon bdia
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by Temmytea70(m): 12:08pm On Jan 18, 2016
homeboy205:

OGA LEAVETRASHFORLAWMAN

See olamide's impact on you.. .... LAWMAN kor LAWWOMAN ni undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by blackboythink: 12:10pm On Jan 18, 2016
Koolmexxi:
Some of us see to many Hollywood flicks and always tend to forget dis is Africa. Most of us are quick to lambast others and form nonsense online. Yes in an organised society animal welfare would have been contacted but is dis an organized society Are our zoos in an encouraging state talk more of having an animal welfare services. Someone kills a snake or any animal at dat an most people com online screaming blue murder but u have no problems buying a snake skin bag or fur coat. Maybe most of u have no idea hunting still goes on in the rural areas of even the developed countries. What would u people have d @OP do? Try and capture the animals alive and then what?? Abeg make una let pesin hear word. It's a wild cat and as such should remain in the wild.
The same wild ruthlessly encroached by unmanned human activities and settlements?
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by LeonMacJames(m): 12:15pm On Jan 18, 2016
The at which cats are murdered in nairaland is alarming, when we wipe them out then we will begin to kill wild dogs.
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by iPopAlomo(m): 12:18pm On Jan 18, 2016
hollandis:

These cats are wild and are in danger to the public .Stop acting westernised ,the govt doesn't have any wild life or conservation personnel to curb the activities of the wild cat .
Same thing about the lion that was killed ,the only sane thing about the killing of the lion is that it was killed by people it should have killed

I should stop acting westernised...?! if I tell you Jesus is a Black Man... you'll be the first person to tell me to stop thinking like an African...

Abeg... let's do what is right... we encroach these animals land... and we still kill them... so if you can kill all the Civets Cats... you would...?!
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by homeboy205: 12:19pm On Jan 18, 2016
blackboythink:

Homeboy205 I think you are foolish. You should be ashamed of your self.
It's an endangered species, I know you didn't do the killing, but you ought to be wiser.

I swear you be mumu of the highest order
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by iPopAlomo(m): 12:20pm On Jan 18, 2016
greenhulk:

U sounded like someone who makes sense. But truth be told, these are not ur ordinary cats, I would panic when I see those and I know u will definitely panic too. Only a zoologist or someone who knows about wildlife would know if they are not harmful or not. If I find these in my backyard and I have the opportunity of killing them I will kill them before they hurt any member of my family. Better I kill an endegesred specie than let the cat hurt my little ones just because I want to preserve an endegesred specie.

There are snakes that are not harmful, but the first thing on my mind if I see a snake in my backyard is to kill it whether it is harmful or not. Am I a zoologist that I would differentiate a harmful snake from a non hsrmful one. Let me guess, so when I see a snake in my backyard I should first call the authorities to come and determine whether it is harmful or not, or whether it is endegeared specie or not. Oga leave science, let's face facts. This is real life.

You didn't make sense...
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by iPopAlomo(m): 12:22pm On Jan 18, 2016
Bluezy13:

Google freak!

Who Civet don help

Seek Knowledge... there's no crime in it...
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by cybriz82(m): 12:25pm On Jan 18, 2016
U are so dump as f**k u shud av start killing all d lizardz at d back of ur house also.dat why white people always tags people like una as mental beast.
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jan 18, 2016
hollandis:

These cats are wild and are in danger to the public .Stop acting westernised ,the govt doesn't have any wild life or conservation personnel to curb the activities of the wild cat .
Same thing about the lion that was killed ,the only sane thing about the killing of the lion is that it was killed by people it should have killed

Danger to public?? What the guy you quoted said is absolutely logical and has nothing to do with being westernised.

We need the spirit of conservation where all animals we see aren't destined for meal tables, but instead respected and protected. The animals these beautiful cats prey on cause us more harm than the civets. Civets prey on snakes, rats ( that cause Lassa fever) and even scorpion.
Also, with our dwindling oil revenue, animal tourism is worth exploring and at the rate we killing animals, there will be none left in our wild forests.
Civets weigh from 7-20kg, less than a pit bull dog, are solitary and very shy. Where then is the threat to humans?
I'm 10000 times more likely to be killed by my fellow Nigerian than a civet cat. If humans are more of a threat to me, why can't I kill them based on your analogy?

1 Like

Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by Asiri1991: 12:26pm On Jan 18, 2016
Nigerians and destruction of life. The killer is a haramite and he is a problem to ecosystem as well as the continuity of life on earth. I pray that God will not reward you according to your deeds. Having succeeded in killing them, for you are honourable, device a means to play their roles in the ecosystem.
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by uboma(m): 12:27pm On Jan 18, 2016
Sparrow13:
Gradually our wild animals will be wiped out if the government did not do something about it

My brother, we no longer have wild life in Nigeria.

Its a pity we have no laws in place to preserve wildlife
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by cybriz82(m): 12:28pm On Jan 18, 2016
Mr trash We dn liv lawman for u na..nobody drag u frm lawman.
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by ayodot(m): 12:29pm On Jan 18, 2016
its a raccoon
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by supereagle(m): 12:34pm On Jan 18, 2016
9ousky:
see correct meat... Its actually called ologede in Yoruba. its intestine is so clean and neat. it feeds on insect and also palm fruits.
Ijakumo in Yoruba, the meat sweet ooo.
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by oluwafreshkid(m): 12:34pm On Jan 18, 2016
homeboy205:

OGA LEAVETRASHFORLAWMAN

Here in lagos, it's called LAWMA undecided
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by oluwafreshkid(m): 12:40pm On Jan 18, 2016
homeboy205:
Akobo Ibadan is a new estate and I've seen BIG alligator at the back of my house but never knew thise civet cat also live among us...

They were hunt down by professional hunters...

What would you do if you come across this 2 wild cat at night ?

Lalasticlala I beg help me ask??

Kopi Luwak is also known as caphe cut chon (fox-dung coffee) in Vietnam and kape alamid in the Philippines. It is coffee that is prepared using coffee cherries that have been eaten and partially digested by the Asian palm civet, then harvested from its fecal matter.[4][5] The civets digest the flesh of the coffee cherries but pass the beans inside, leaving their stomach enzymes to go to work on the beans, which adds to the coffee's prized aroma and flavor.[4] 0.5 kg (1 lb) can cost up to $600 in some parts of the world and about $100 a cup in others.[6] A 2012 investigation by The Guardian newspaper found Indonesian civets held separately in cramped cages. The animals were force-fed a debilitating diet of coffee cherries in conditions described by the Traffic charity as "awful" and "horrific".[7] There is a campaign under way to encourage "ethical civet coffee".[8] Evidence suggests that the SARS virus crossed over to humans from Asian palm civets ("civet cats"wink which raised concerns over the safety of civet coffee

Pets
Some of the indigenous people in Peninsular Malaysia, the Orang Asli, may occasionally keep pet civets.[citation needed] Other people wishing for an exotic pet without the responsibility of a large animal also own civets as pets, although this practice is mostly illegal.

Urban environments Edit
Palm civets often venture into urban and suburban environments, with people often complaining about civet feces or noise from the animals climbing on roofs. Some studies have been undertaken to examine and mitigate human-animal conflict in these cases.

1 Like

Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by onatisi(m): 12:41pm On Jan 18, 2016
I see many of these animals on a daily basis and I don't even chase them,to the extent that they are not even afraid of me anymore .i even made a recording of them this morning
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by BridalAssistant(f): 12:43pm On Jan 18, 2016
If the black man ruled the world, we would hunt all the animals into extinction.
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 18, 2016
iPopAlomo:

You didn't make sense...

And u made sense? Pls answer this simple question. If u see a snake in ur backyard and u have young ones around, would u first make a research to determine if the snake is harmful or not, or will u kill it at the first opportunity u have. I'm waiting for ur reply.
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by don4real18(m): 12:48pm On Jan 18, 2016
It's because of people like OP that Lassa is prevailing in West Africa... If you kill all the cats, what will kill the rats known to carry the Lassa virus
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by jhidey08(m): 12:52pm On Jan 18, 2016
Koolmexxi:
Some of us see to many Hollywood flicks and always tend to forget dis is Africa. Most of us are quick to lambast others and form nonsense online. Yes in an organised society animal welfare would have been contacted but is dis an organized society Are our zoos in an encouraging state talk more of having an animal welfare services. Someone kills a snake or any animal at dat an most people com online screaming blue murder but u have no problems buying a snake skin bag or fur coat. Maybe most of u have no idea hunting still goes on in the rural areas of even the developed countries. What would u people have d @OP do? Try and capture the animals alive and then what?? Abeg make una let pesin hear word. It's a wild cat and as such should remain in the wild.
u get sense brothee
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by sarutobie(m): 12:56pm On Jan 18, 2016
preaching to Africans and Nigerians especially to stop hunting down certain animals is a futile attempt. I mean these guys behead their fellow humans for silly reasons, they burn humans on the street gleefully...redemption is far from them!
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by Frankicent(m): 12:56pm On Jan 18, 2016
homeboy205:
Akobo Ibadan is a new estate and I've seen BIG alligator at the back of my house but never knew thise civet cat also live among us...

They were hunt down by professional hunters...

What would you do if you come across this 2 wild cat at night ?

Lalasticlala I beg help me ask??

Sell the skin ooo no burn am oo
The civet produces a musk (also called civet) highly valued as a fragrance and stabilizing agent for perfume. Both male and female civets produce the strong-smelling secretion, which is produced by the civet's perineal glands. It is harvested by either killing the animal and removing the glands, or by scraping the secretions from the glands of a live animal.

I blog at www.GeeklOgic.net Nigerian Tech Blog
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by hollandis(f): 12:58pm On Jan 18, 2016
iPopAlomo:

I should stop acting westernised...?! if I tell you Jesus is a Black Man... you'll be the first person to tell me to stop thinking like an African...

Abeg... let's do what is right... we encroach these animals land... and we still kill them... so if you can kill all the Civets Cats... you would...?!

What land are we encroaching ? If we were industrializing their natural habitat I would have understood. It is still the same thing First things first ,the government should invest in the natural habitat and not impoverishing people .The impoverished people will end up eating that animal
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by jhidey08(m): 1:00pm On Jan 18, 2016
iPopAlomo:
I would assume you're educated... does these cats look like the cats to kill a human even at night...?! now you shamelessly parade them on nairaland... you'll def get Frontpage... I hope you're happy now...

People neglects the roles these cats play in the ecosystem... get rid of all the cats... then see how rats population would sky rocket...

I wonder how people can get tired of goat meat, cow meat, fish, chicken and Turkey... only to start eating endangered species and they think they are savvy...

It would have been lovely... if you educated the hunters... but again... what do you know...?!
in an ideal environment, wot u've typed up there is very valid, bt in our unideal environment it doesn't make any sense 2me. Our orientation about all these animals isn't enough, any animal dat has slight difference compared 2 our own domestic animals is considered harmful, hence, dey're killed. Don't blame us.
U'll stop having sympathy for thieves d day dey rob u of a very valuable thing.
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by hollandis(f): 1:01pm On Jan 18, 2016
oboman:

Danger to public?? What the guy you quoted said is absolutely logical and has nothing to do with being westernised.

We need the spirit of conservation where all animals we see aren't destined for meal tables, but instead respected and protected. The animals these beautiful cats prey on cause us more harm than the civets. Civets prey on snakes, rats ( that cause Lassa fever) and even scorpion.
Also, with our dwindling oil revenue, animal tourism is worth exploring and at the rate we killing animals, there will be none left in our wild forests.
Civets weigh from 7-20kg, less than a pit bull dog, are solitary and very shy. Where then is the threat to humans?
I'm 10000 times more likely to be killed by my fellow Nigerian than a civet cat. If humans are more of a threat to me, why can't I kill them based on your analogy?

Nigeria is not there yet .I would have advised you used your energy in the write up to advise your certificateless president to stop flouting court orders .Whats sauce for the goose(the Jews lol) is sauce for the gander (Uganda). A lawless country both the citizenry and the leadership
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by Tobium1(m): 1:10pm On Jan 18, 2016
If only de government can put a price tag on all wild animals, nobody wuld even tink of killing it. These animals wuld be a fun sight if kept in de zoo
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by Tellemall: 1:13pm On Jan 18, 2016
iPopAlomo:
I would assume you're educated... does these cats look like the cats to kill a human even at night...?! now you shamelessly parade them on nairaland... you'll def get Frontpage... I hope you're happy now...

People neglects the roles these cats play in the ecosystem... get rid of all the cats... then see how rats population would sky rocket...

I wonder how people can get tired of goat meat, cow meat, fish, chicken and Turkey... only to start eating endangered species and they think they are savvy...

It would have been lovely... if you educated the hunters... but again... what do you know...?!

Rat population? In the wild?

He didn't say he killed it to eat it. Or that the people who killed it did so because they were hungry. Professional hunters sometimes hunt for sport.
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by neocortex: 1:27pm On Jan 18, 2016
espionagesavvy:

Are civets endangered?

iPopAlomo:

Where did you see me type Civets as endangered...?! I asked how people can get tired of meat and fish... only to eat Endangered specie... how is that tagging an African Civet...?! egbon... read before you quote...

Yes , they are actually endangered species.
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by Koolmexxi(m): 1:32pm On Jan 18, 2016
blackboythink:

The same wild ruthlessly encroached by unmanned human activities and settlements?
Is there a wildlife reserve area or authority in place?? What would you have done in all sincerity if u sight this animal or a rare breed of snake or any bush animal at dat?
Re: Picture : Male And Female Civet Cat Killed At The Back Of My House by neocortex: 1:36pm On Jan 18, 2016
adeoluolagbegi:
@IPOPALOMO WAT IS UR BUSSINESS IF HE KILL IT OR U ARE D ONE DAT TURN TO DOSE CAT.SHHHHHUT UR TRAP

Another town village crier sighted.
The fact that you stay in a village doesn't mean you shouldn't value
wildlife.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

China Unveils World’s First AI Robot News Presenter. (PICS And VIDEO) / Huge Python Killed By My Friends In Ikorodu (Photos) / Airtel Introduces #300 For 1gb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.