Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,862 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa (13897 Views)

Changing Our Wealth Creation Model...by STRIVE MASIYIWA / Strive Masiyiwa: How I Deal With Corruption (plus,speech Download) | #qd™101 / How Ibori And Co, Chased Econet Out Of Nigeria By Strive Masiyiwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by BLWeb: 8:23am On Jan 19, 2016
I was about crafting a piece on a subject similar to below when i found Strive's post. Read and have wisdom

For those who dont know Strive Masiyiwa - He is the CEO of Econet, and one of the Richest Men in Africa.

Series: The eagle in a storm (Part 1 - Intro).

The new year opened with turmoil in the Chinese stock markets as prices fell dramatically, leading to a global selloff. In just one week, global stock markets lost over $2 trillion US dollars! Other news in the global markets saw the price of a barrel of crude oil fall below $35 per barrel, down from a high of $62 per barrel less than 12 months ago. That’s down 50% in 12 months and 71% in 24 months!

Since the beginning of last year, 2015, the price of copper has fallen by 30%; iron ore is down by 42%; platinum has also been a disaster, losing more than half its value from less than three years ago. Agricultural commodities have not fared much better on global markets. Last week the South African rand hit an all-time low of 16:1 against the United States dollar and it’s still falling!

Your small business in Harare, Lagos or Nairobi may not have anything to do with China, or with any commodity like oil, iron ore, or platinum, so you might be asking yourself, “What’s that got to do with me?” Answer: EVERYTHING! It has everything to do with you, and its impact is going to be very personal... Brace yourself, there’s a storm on its way!

You might even be sitting at your desk as a civil servant, or supervising children at school as a teacher, or upholding the law as a policeman; or maybe you’re a pensioner, and you’re also saying to yourself, "I'm not in business; I don't know anything about these things, so what’s it got to do with me?” Answer: EVERYTHING! It has everything to do with you, and its impact is going to be very personal... Brace yourself, there’s a storm on its way!

You look at the sky and see rolling black clouds. The wind is picking up and you say to yourself, “A big storm is on the way.” Even though rain isn’t yet falling, you know the signs of a heavy rain storm and that you must button things down and secure yourself properly. Or maybe you’re one of millions on the continent today suffering another rainless sky, for months on end, putting your fields, crops, livestock, perhaps your whole life at risk...

These are "signs" in weather conditions. Those who are experienced in such things can usually say with a degree of certainty that a storm is coming. However, if you do not understand these matters, or you blissfully decide to ignore them, you’ll suffer a serious drenching or worse.

In business economics we also have signs, and we're seeing these warning signs right now. They're not any different from the black clouds and the wind, or the clear sky and the drought. They're all linked. The stock markets of China and New York may seem far away, and global commodity prices and exchange rates may seem irrelevant to your village, but they’re linked to the real economy in which you live and work!

The next 12 months or more will be very tough, particularly in emerging markets. Many African countries will find it hard going. Consequently, it will be tough for citizens, especially those who are most vulnerable. The weaker your country's economy going into the storm, the tougher it will be. Similarly, the weaker your company or employer, the tougher it will be...

__There is a storm coming.

Now let me tell you about the flight of the eagle. Prophets and Kings of the bible world absolutely loved watching this majestic bird. They believed the eagle is the only bird that flies during a storm. It's developed a flying technique (a skill) they call "mounting" the wind (as though it were climbing a stairway). The eagle has so mastered the storm that it not only flies during storms, but can find opportunities to prosper; it can actually use the storm to its advantage.

Even in these storms, those with the correct mindset will prepare themselves. They will train themselves to understand the times, and learn to prosper in its headwinds… they will mount on wings as eagles!

Yes, it’s going to be very tough, and for some of you, tougher than anything you could have imagined, but you must not be discouraged or wearied. And when you come through it, you will be much better at what you do. Just don't be afraid, and don't panic. In this series I will remind you of some of the things you must do to prosper like the eagle.

This year we must be serious, very serious. Africa expects it of us.

To be continued. . .

https://web.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=969941536413675&id=496453373762496&substory_index=0

[img]http://iharare.co.zw/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Strive-masiwa.jpg[/img]

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by BLWeb: 8:31am On Jan 19, 2016
@Mynd44 can you push it to the front page? many people will benefit from this piece of advice cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by dominique(f): 10:10am On Jan 19, 2016
I follow him on Facebook, his posts are quite inspiring and motivational. I especially love the ROAR series where he focused on ground-breaking women entrepreneurs accross the continent.

11 Likes

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by BLWeb: 1:26pm On Jan 19, 2016
dominique:
I follow him on Facebook, his posts are quite inspiring and motivational. I especially love the ROAR series where he focused on ground-breaking women entrepreneurs accross the continent.

And he even pays Facebook to sponsor his bits of wisdom. If i was ever looking for a billionaire mentor that can relate with me one on one, then i've found one. Happy to know you follow him too.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by looseweight: 1:47pm On Jan 19, 2016
Thanks OP
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by Dahveydson(m): 1:52pm On Jan 19, 2016
This is a good wake up call.
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by seekier(m): 1:52pm On Jan 19, 2016
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by Kofovian(f): 1:54pm On Jan 19, 2016
OK. Nice
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by Akaraiwe(m): 1:57pm On Jan 19, 2016
Follow his words "back to back", then apply the naija Sense to it and watch your business soar.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by aktolly54(m): 2:00pm On Jan 19, 2016
I wil get rich 1 day

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by ogtavia(m): 2:00pm On Jan 19, 2016
see au empty this thread is....if its about celebrities,disaster,gossip or all dis 'I need advice thread'....Nairalanders go full there.
..I follow strive on Facebook as well....wise religious man I must say...

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by 2sex(m): 2:02pm On Jan 19, 2016
BLWeb:

And he even pays Facebook to sponsor his bits of wisdom. If i was ever looking for a billionaire mentor that can relate with me one on one, then i've found one. Happy to know you follow him too.
where is a link to hist page?
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by lifestyle1(m): 2:02pm On Jan 19, 2016
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by Emasky4real(m): 2:03pm On Jan 19, 2016
Inspiring.
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by boghetto: 2:04pm On Jan 19, 2016
the kind of wisdom God has bestowed on this man is just amazing. A BILLIONAIRE who loves God this much. Thanks for sharing OP

13 Likes

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by lordempire(m): 2:06pm On Jan 19, 2016
This man is brainy

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by Mostwanted7: 2:07pm On Jan 19, 2016
Hdbg
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by donephi(m): 2:08pm On Jan 19, 2016
Iwow! Great insight.
Develop the skills of the eagle by mounting. That's the way to greatness.

Thank you for posting.
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by yomi007k(m): 2:09pm On Jan 19, 2016
Pls when is part 2.....

Ur touching lives here mehn.
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by Abatsam111(m): 2:09pm On Jan 19, 2016
That's great! Check my signature...
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by Agimor(m): 2:10pm On Jan 19, 2016
Richmen are the salary earners while entrepreneurs are the weathy men.
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by kennyman2000(m): 2:10pm On Jan 19, 2016
Hmmmmm...
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by Olulinks(m): 2:11pm On Jan 19, 2016
He is one man I have recommended his page to many on Facebook. He is not selfish but wants everybody to be fulfilled like him too. I enjoy every bit of his piece on Facebook with open mind. God bless him more.

A lot of nairalanders saw this post but have nothing to comment on it about. Many are empty intellectually. If it were celebrities and some issue or posts that will add nothing good to their lives, this place would have filled up with rubbish.

15 Likes

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by leonard509(m): 2:12pm On Jan 19, 2016
Good

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by miomio(f): 2:13pm On Jan 19, 2016
ogtavia:
see au empty this thread is....if its about celebrities,disaster,gossip or all dis 'I need advice thread'....Nairalanders go full there.
..I follow strive on Facebook as well....wise religious man I must say...

he is not just religious, he is a born again Christian. i follow him religiously on face book too.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jan 19, 2016
Nice one
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by lacasera14(m): 2:14pm On Jan 19, 2016
Hmmm true
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by Ahmed3rdjuly: 2:19pm On Jan 19, 2016
This noble man has a strong follower-ship in Nigeria especially in social media. He teaches on almost every aspect of business but what i love most about him is his ethics and moral values angles in all his write-ups
Am striving to be like him.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jan 19, 2016
the times ahead! lipsrsealed , this is the time for people to diversify their income streams....if you are internet savvy look for ways to create value that can be sold to people all over the world.

This you can do via freelance writing, web design, software developement, blog writing, amazon kindle book publishing etc

be prepared for the worst...not to fear though, we shall overcome!
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by PHfinest(m): 2:35pm On Jan 19, 2016
His page please
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by jnichole(m): 2:36pm On Jan 19, 2016
pls can i get any of his social newtork handle?pls nairalanders
Re: Why You Must Be Serious This Year By Strive Masiyiwa by porka: 2:39pm On Jan 19, 2016
Great.

Unfortunately for us in Nigeria, our current government cannot link the global events with the economic downturn so they can put forward better strategies to confront it headlong.

Instead, they are isolating the situation from the world occurrence by pushing extreme propaganda on the last government.

While governments, corporates, start-ups and workers globally are tasking their brains and strategizing in various think tanks, the CHANGE people in Nigeria are busy doing nothing productive only pointing backwards unrelentingly.

For someone in Nigeria therefore, Masiyiwa's strategy will have to be matched with RAW native intelligence to be able to pull through.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Naira Falls To N350/$ As Investors Await Flexible Forex Policy / Four Banks Trading Below Minimum Liquidity Ratio – MPC Members / Valentine Ozigbo Honoured With Career Excellence Award As VP Applauds Transcorp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.