Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,174 members, 7,957,395 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:56 AM

Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG (9697 Views)

Three Times The FBI Arrested ‘Corrupt’ Judges In US Just Like The DSS-The Cable / Recession: 10 National Assets FG May Sell- Premium Times / Stolen Assets: FG To Make Recovery Details Available Thursday – Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Ide4u(m): 6:24am On Jan 20, 2016
The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister for Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami (SAN), has said the present administration will not spare judges who are found to be corrupt.

Malami said unlike in the past when indicted judges were only sent on compulsory retirement, any judge found culpable in the new dispensation risked criminal prosecution and forfeiture of assets as additional consequences.

The minister said this in Lagos on Tuesday, according to a statement made available to our correspondent by a group, Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project.

According to SERAP, Malami delivered a paper in Lagos at the presentation of the group’s latest report, titled, ‘Go home and sin no more: Corrupt judges escaping justice in Nigeria’.

Malami, who was represented on the occasion by his Senior Special Assistant on White Collar Crimes, Abiodun Aikomo, was quoted to have vowed that acts of judicial impunity on the part of judges would not be tolerated by the President Muhamadu Buhari-led administration.

He noted that the Nigerian judiciary had been losing public trust and confidence as it appeared as judges enjoyed total immunity from prosecution for alleged corrupt practices.

The AGF added, “As we may be aware, this administration promised Nigerians that it will promptly address the challenges facing our nation in the three areas of corruption, economy and security. Let no one be in doubt, the legitimate expectation of Nigerians in this regard shall be met.

“In this regard therefore, I am reiterating that the fight against corruption shall be total and will not exclude judicial officers, who are found wanting. After all, it is beyond doubt that a corrupt judge cannot meaningfully contribute to the fight against corruption.”

Malami said judges would be continually reminded of the judicial oath that they took, which mandated them to deliver justice without fear or favour, affection or ill-will, independently and impartially.

“In reality, it cannot be over-emphasised that systemic corruption and impunity are prevalent in Nigeria, and that they cut across all sectors of the society, unfortunately, including the judiciary – an institution that is universally believed to be the hope of the common man.

“Ideally, the judiciary in a democratic state ought to be accountable less to public opinion and more to public interest. It should discharge its constitutional roles by being principled, independent and impartial,” he stated.

www.punchng.com/corrupt-judges-will-be-prosecuted-forfeit-assets-fg/

Cc:Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Standing5(m): 6:26am On Jan 20, 2016
Nice. Selective justice can only crush the judiciary system further. No sacred cows.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by bewla(m): 6:27am On Jan 20, 2016
Are u sure

2 Likes

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by mrphysics(m): 6:35am On Jan 20, 2016
good.

the judiciary need an overhauling of the system

6 Likes

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Almaiga: 6:40am On Jan 20, 2016
This is a good development.

4 Likes

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Nobody: 6:41am On Jan 20, 2016
Amazing

3 Likes

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by orobs93(m): 6:42am On Jan 20, 2016
And killed also

4 Likes

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Nobody: 6:44am On Jan 20, 2016
cheesy
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Aufbauh(m): 6:45am On Jan 20, 2016
Judges are the tiny and closed fraternity of privileged men, elected by no one, and enjoying a monopoly sanctioned and licensed by the government.

It is high time the government represented by able men show them the different page of the book, for conformity itself is a jailer of freedom and enemy of growth.

6 Likes

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by ademega(m): 6:45am On Jan 20, 2016
that is where the corruption fight should start from

4 Likes

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Nobody: 6:47am On Jan 20, 2016
Good
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Meriekriss: 6:51am On Jan 20, 2016
Nice one..... Let them start with the guy that handled Saraki's case....

Check my signature for your breathtaking wallpapers and 3D wall panels, 3D epoxy floors, 3D stretch ceilings and wooden blinds & wooden laminate floors..

5 Likes

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by alrahmanonline(m): 6:59am On Jan 20, 2016
See... i no tell you? Oya corrupt judges gives corrupt officials anyhow jail terms and meet yourself where you don't want...

2 Likes

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by godjb(f): 7:03am On Jan 20, 2016
My sabi all, what of people that disobey court orders?? What will be there fate?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by koboko69: 7:04am On Jan 20, 2016
Judges will sit tight now and will reject any bribe offered them even if it is as attractive as cheese is to Mice.
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by reuben79: 7:19am On Jan 20, 2016
godjb:
My sabi all, what of people that disobey court orders?? What will be there fate?
disobey court order,started 4m pdp.,......obasanjo disobey court order on lagos allocationa

2 Likes

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by jaybee3(m): 7:35am On Jan 20, 2016
bewla:
Are u sure
Hope you won't shout marginalisation when they start dealing with 'em mofos
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Nobody: 7:39am On Jan 20, 2016
Bar and Bench must be cleansed
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Justiyke4u: 7:42am On Jan 20, 2016
Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee has been taking care of that long before now. I don't think is a new thing
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by funlord(m): 7:45am On Jan 20, 2016
grin
Naija judges be like.."We object ooh?"!!!
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by ckmayoca: 7:46am On Jan 20, 2016
Group of sworn cultists claiming to deal with members...lol

1 Like

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Acidosis(m): 7:59am On Jan 20, 2016
When will you jail the constitution sir?
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Rikidony(m): 8:12am On Jan 20, 2016
FREEDOM OF SPEECH DEY I NO GO DULL YOU BUT FREEDOM AFTER SPEECH I CANT ASSURE YOU

BABA TO NNAMDI KANU AND OLISAH METUH
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by nwekeg: 11:03am On Jan 20, 2016
mjh
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by free2ryhme: 11:03am On Jan 20, 2016
I love this war on corruption grin

1 Like

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by free2ryhme: 11:04am On Jan 20, 2016
Corrupt jugdges if their activities is not looked into properly they will hinder the on going war on corruption I will be glad if govt can make one of them as an example,others will behave well.God bless Nigeria and keep president Buhari for us amen ijn
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by cutetopsey(f): 11:04am On Jan 20, 2016
Good . They have to be persecuted!
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by free2ryhme: 11:05am On Jan 20, 2016
The prosecution of corrupt Judges is overdue.Most of the corrupt cases would have ended by now if the Judges are performing their duties diligently.They taught they have immunity.I know the federal government did not want to interfere with the judiciary but they are calling for it now.They know the Government will not like to bribe them that is why they are delaying in delivering judgement quickly.So what the AGF said is correct.

1 Like

Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by Sijo01(f): 11:05am On Jan 20, 2016
Noise maker!
Re: Corrupt Judges Will Be Prosecuted, Forfeit Assets – FG by freemanbubble: 11:05am On Jan 20, 2016
hmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Checkout Hilarious Images Between Nigeria & Chad / Kogi Pensioners, Workers Committing Suicide Due To Hunger – Austin Usman Okai / Osun 2022: My Modest Contributions To PDP's Success - Oke Umurhohwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.