Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish (55488 Views)

Woman Dies After Consuming Herbal Drugs She Bought To Lighten Her Skin / Dangers of consuming too much maggi and other bouillon cubes / Dangers Of Drinking Cold Water [ MUST READ] (2) (3) (4)

Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by naijadanny: 2:52pm On Jan 20, 2016
In Nigeria, catfish is one of the most widely loved and enjoyed fish. It is consumed in various delicacies, especially at social gatherings.

The fact that it is affordable when compared to other varieties of fish in the market makes it more popular. However, research has shown that consumption of catfish is not so healthy. While medics assert that fish is a better and healthier option than meat, it seems quite a lot of people didn’t wait to hear the other part of the medical advice that not all types of fish are good for the heart.

According to expert advice, the omega 6 fatty acids in catfish can increase your risk of getting blood clots, arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease and some cancers? In fact, nutritionists say that catfish is loaded with bad fat and high cholesterol that encourage clotting of the blood, a condition whereby blood flow is impeded. This may lead to cardiac arrest, thrombosis and, in some cases, heart attacks.

A cardiologist, Dr. Jane Anisulowo, who talked to The Punch recently said that farmed or home-grown catfish is the worst example in this regard, as it contains more fatty hormones than the ones harvested from natural water. “Fish is better than meat, no doubt. It digests easily and it contains proteins. However, catfish is not really a good option, especially the ones they sell these days, which are cultivated with hormonal feeds that are filled with steroids and other fattening chemicals just to make them profitable. These chemicals are cancerous in nature.

“Also, they contain so much oil that you can almost taste it. Fish, generally, contains oil, but catfish has oil in its skin. That is what makes it so oily and unhealthy. It also contains a lot of poly unsaturated fat that does not only make you fat but also settles in the blood stream. That is very dangerous because when blood fails to get to an organ, it fails and suffers paralysis.”

A study which was conducted by the National Institute of Health in 2012, using over 1000 species of the fish in different water shows that catfish contains a high amount of unfavourable omega-6 fat that causes inflammation in the body. Three-ounce portion of catfish contains the same amount of bad fats found in red meat. This is not to say that one should give up eating the fish as catfish contains some nutrients such as Omega3 fatty acids that are good for the body.

Anisulowo, however, advised: “If you can get the one from the river, which is rare in most cities, then you may eat it twice a month. But if the only one you can get is the one that is being reared by farmers, you don’t have to eat at all, or just eat it when it is partially smoked. In that way, some of the fats would have been lost in the process. Better still, there are some other species of fish that are oily but they contain good fats and are more nutritious.”

Instead of regular consumption of catfish, here are some other species that you can add to your diet:

Mackerel

It is popularly called Titus fish in Nigeria. The oily meat found on mackerel is its main health benefit. It lowers triglycerides. High levels of triglycerides in the body have been linked to heart disease and strokes. The most common causes of a high triglyceride level are obesity and poorly maintained diabetes, mainly stemming from an inactive lifestyle.

Tilapia

Tilapia is a high-quality fish. It has proteins and contains all the essential amino acids your body requires from food diet to help to build proteins. One portion of tilapia cooked using dry heat contains about 26 grammes of protein. It also helps in weight control.

https://www.naij.com/656063-shocking-dangers-associated-consumption-catfish.html/?odunayo&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_group=free

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by talktonase(m): 2:55pm On Jan 20, 2016
The are environmentalist...
Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jan 20, 2016
think about this people
when we drank from the stream we had no cholera
houses built with clad dont burn instead they bake and become harder
when we cooked with firewood etal we lived healthier and longer
now we drink eva bottled water et al yet see water disease everywhere
we build houses with "better" materials that burn
we cook with gas et al yet food poisoning
seriously, hygiene is good we should be health conscious but, we should not buy every crap these white people tell us
next now, they will recommend a specie of catfish bred in europe and of course africans will start importing them
mad stupid whites

161 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by Amberon: 3:16pm On Jan 20, 2016
shit!

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by naijadanny: 4:06pm On Jan 20, 2016
Txonyi:
think about this people
seriously, hygiene is good we should be health conscious but, we should not buy every crap these white people tell us
next now, they will recommend a specie of catfish bred in europe and of course africans will start importing them
mad stupid whites

You 100% right. To the Western world, nothing good can come from Africa.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by cutetopsey(f): 4:19pm On Jan 20, 2016
OK! Noted.

Though, that still does not stop me from taking catfish.

Laave catfish. yummy yummy!

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by buskie13(m): 4:20pm On Jan 20, 2016
[email]so eating catfish is now a problem.. Very soon sha...na only grass na human being go dey chop...u no go fit differentiate between malu and person again...abeg make dem leave de catfish o[/email]

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by hemartins(m): 4:20pm On Jan 20, 2016
nothing can separate me from my ever loving cat fish pepper soup.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by esaias1(m): 4:20pm On Jan 20, 2016
noted... still can't stop eating it tho smiley

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by kirchofff(m): 4:20pm On Jan 20, 2016
I'm tired of all this health shii already.......we'll all DIE anyway let's enjoy wat we like

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by Daminaj1(f): 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2016
You can never catch me eating catfish so..........
Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2016
Life is not fair.

Catfish? My favourite fish?

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by TruthHurts1(m): 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2016
Immediately off my menu angry

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by chimah3(m): 4:22pm On Jan 20, 2016
hmmmm...is there anything that doesn't kill these days tongue

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by adedam007(m): 4:22pm On Jan 20, 2016
Ty

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 20, 2016
Txonyi:
think about this people
mad stupid whites

We also had a large number of unexplained deaths too....

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by Smellymouth: 4:22pm On Jan 20, 2016
I won't, I can't and I must not believe this sh#t.

My dad ate cat fish, my grand dad ate cat fish, nothing happened to them..

Madam, abeg give me catfish Barbecue and two bottles of Cold Orijin.. cool

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by zubby29(m): 4:22pm On Jan 20, 2016
na dogfish i want to dey eat now going forward

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by seyilabi(m): 4:22pm On Jan 20, 2016
which fish make we come dey eat?
I tire for science.

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by geesampower(m): 4:23pm On Jan 20, 2016
Txonyi:
think about this people

There has always been cholera drinking polluted water is never safe.

Houses built with blocks don't burn too, it is the wood that burns. So the grasses used as roofing for mud houses don't burn? Or what are you saying?

What is the relation between cooking with firewood and long life ?

What water disease has eva water given anyone you know. Have you forgotten typhod cholera etc can be gotten from fruits, food and even putting your hand in your mouth? So how sure are you that it is the eva water that is causing the "diseases"?

mad stupid whites
Tilapia fish that was recommended is indigenous to africa. You need to see the way tilapia is sort after in England.
Guy get your facts right and stop being sentimental.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by octopusfreaky(f): 4:23pm On Jan 20, 2016
dont spoil market for y uncle rearing it oo.

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by Goke7: 4:23pm On Jan 20, 2016
Txonyi:
think about this people
mad stupid whites
Exactly,most of these thoughts are driven by selfish market forces.

Very soon we will told not to drink water again, yeye people

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jan 20, 2016
Good luck explaining this to Nigerians.

So fish that we don't have in Nigeria are the healthy ones eh.

Do you know that a carton of Titus fish is more expensive than a carton of Chicken.

We will all die one day, might as well have a good time eating what you like before that happens.

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by Yungbitz(m): 4:23pm On Jan 20, 2016
I pledge to continue eating Catfish,so help me God grin

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by PlayerMeji: 4:24pm On Jan 20, 2016
Dont know what exactly to believe anymore.

Today Catfish is good, 2morow it is bad.

Whose side are they on sef? Catfish or Humans

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by VickyRotex(f): 4:24pm On Jan 20, 2016
Oh I miss Grilled Cat Fish cry cry

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 20, 2016
post sounds like trash sadpost sounds like trash
Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by ANBAKO: 4:25pm On Jan 20, 2016
Simply put....too much of everything is bad

Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by Software202(m): 4:25pm On Jan 20, 2016
Hmmm... May God help us. Everything he has created is good.
Re: Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish by Reign4560(m): 4:26pm On Jan 20, 2016
Na wa ooo wetin go save man again

I Can't Satisfy My Girlfriend, I Need Help! / New Yorker Cuts Off His Penis & Throws It Down Toilet After Skipping Medication / Coronavirus: Oxford Vaccine Works On Monkeys