Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,552 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) (15282 Views)

White Girl Sees Nigerian Fried Plantain For The First Time And Reacts / My Disastrous Experience Making Moi-moi / What Are Your Tips For Making Moi-moi? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by OkraSoup1: 10:19pm On Jun 24, 2009
Wish me luck. Today I decided to tackle making moi moi on my own. Here's how I made it.
First I poured some Emma's peeled, ground black eyed beans powder into a bowl. To that I added the following spices: onion powder, salt, black & red pepper, chicken & italian seasoning mix, paprika, curry. Then I added a can of diced tomatoes, some olive oil, water, a can of tuna and a few slices of turkey bacon. I was boiling an egg to add to the mix but got hungry and ate it instead.
I mixed together all the ingredients listed above, poured them into tin foil cups I'd already made and dropped them into a pot of boiling water.

I'm super hungry right now and I really hope it turns out well.
What methods do you guys use to make moi moi? Did I forget a critical step? Is there a better way to make it? Should I have added more ingredients like rice to the mix?

How long should I let this mix boil for? How do I know when it's ready. It's been boiling for about 8-10 minutes. I've touched some of the bags that are looking swollen and they feel solid. I want to make sure the beans are cooked properly before I open them. Another 15-20 minutes cooking time should be enough right?
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Hauwa1: 10:24pm On Jun 24, 2009
Okra Soup:

Wish me luck. Today I decided to tackle making moi moi on my own. Here's how I made it.
First I poured some Emma's peeled, ground black eyed beans powder into a bowl. To that I added the following spices: onion powder, salt, black & red pepper, chicken & italian seasoning mix, paprika, curry. Then I added a can of diced tomatoes, some olive oil, water, a can of tuna and a few slices of turkey bacon. I was boiling an egg to add to the mix but got hungry and ate it instead.
I mixed together all the ingredients listed above, poured them into tin foil cups I'd already made and dropped them into a pot of boiling water.

I'm super hungry right now and I really hope it turns out well.
What methods do you guys use to make moi moi? Did I forget a critical step? Is there a better way to make it? Should I have added more ingredients like rice to the mix?

How long should I let this mix boil for? How do I know when it's ready. It's been boiling for about 8-10 minutes. I've touched some of the bags that are looking swollen and they feel solid. I want to make sure the beans are cooked properly before I open them. Another 15-20 minutes cooking time should be enough right?

all of those for just moi moi shocked grin
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Hauwa1: 10:28pm On Jun 24, 2009
plan to make moi moi tmr. here are what i will be using:

empty can of carnation milk
2 cups of goya beans (will wash the skin off myself)
evoo
fresh red pepper
fresh tomatoes (steamed)
fresh onion
fresh haberneros pepper
maggi cube
mammy water fish
salt
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Hauwa1: 10:32pm On Jun 24, 2009
experience is the best teacher in cooking. if using medium heat to steam your moi moi, maybe 45mins to cook.
i cook my moi moi for 1 hour (keeping watch every 10mins to avoid burning . . . adding hot or warm water if the water inside is abt to dry up)

because it takes work, i make it once in a while.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by OkraSoup1: 12:21am On Jun 25, 2009
Hello Hauwa.
I tried the moi moi I made and not too bad. I think I should have added a bit more water to the mix. Other than that, it's pretty good.
As for all the spices I added hahaha , That was just boredom and my sister's well stocked spice shelf.
Next time I make it, depending on the ingredients I have around, the moi moi will be different. Who knows it might have cow tongue in it, rice, potato hahaha , Enjoy your dish.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by cooldud62: 2:59pm On Jun 25, 2009
haaaaaaaaaa, how was your moi moi @ poster?
very funny!!!!!!!
I will be back to teach you how to make moimoi,
I am a great cook.
By the way, dont drop moimoi in boiling water lol,
dont add too much tomato in moimoi, i'll be back to tell you why and how to cook moimoi.
Nice thing you wanna learn.

@hauwa, how was yours? i know it will be fine.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 25, 2009
//
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by theolar: 5:23pm On Jun 25, 2009
Tomatoes in moi-moi go sour easily. To ensure dat it cooks faster ensure minimal escape of steam 4rm pot
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by OkraSoup1: 8:12pm On Jun 25, 2009
Okay cooldud62* I'll be back to check your tips for making moi moi. Also, chaircover, theolar - thanks for the tips about tomato. I thought that's what I had to use to give the moi moi it's reddish color. Turns out I didn't like them that much in the moi moi. Thanks to my big appetite the moi moi is all gone. Wondering what I'll make for lunch today . Hmm ,  smiley
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Hauwa1: 8:18pm On Jun 25, 2009
red bell pepper gives the reddish color.

sometimes, i used fresh steamed/boiled tomatoe for my moi moi. i clean, blend and boil the tomatoe till it turns pasty. it also removes the acidity. i use small amt.

girl, you just have to try this moi moi soooooooooooooooooooooooo delish delicious. i need to go into moi moi business cheesy

(toma is not a must use)
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by OkraSoup1: 8:38pm On Jun 25, 2009
Hauwa , If you go into the moi moi business let me know, I'll save myself the trouble of cooking and just buy yours. grin
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by chiogo(f): 12:03am On Jun 26, 2009
Didn't know tomatoes were used in moi-moi. We use big red peppers, still gives em the reddish color.

@Okra soup, we also use all the ingredients you mentioned except paprika, tuna, chicken, tomato, and turkey bacon. That's a lot!! shocked Boiled egg works.

Takes about an hour(always check and never let the water dry up) but I guess it depends on the amount you're cooking.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by cooldud62: 12:15am On Jun 26, 2009
Thanks @theola, chaircover for saying why tomatoes is not good in moimoi,
You must drop your moimoi in boiling water, the water has to be cold or water you just put on fire and immediately you are putting your moimoi. sometimes, they put the moimoi before putting the pot on the gas so that all can cook together and be ok at the same time not that the ones under will be ok while those you put last are not done(well cooked).
take note : only fire is good for making moimoi! if you use electric cooker, it wont cook well. some parts wont be well cooked.

@myths, a woman on her period needs to do something before the moimmoi cooks well, else, it will never cook well even if on fire for 10days grin. . .i dont believe sha

@okrosoup (what a name grin),i guess you like okro too.

after getting the ingredients hauwa put down, i will add
boiled egg, boiled beef cut into bits (very small),

@all, to make moimoi red, you can use red tatase ( i dont know the english name) very big pepper
Thats what it is used for, it doesnt make the food pepperish at all.

soak your beans in water for like 5minutes and peel the back (if you dont have the powdered one)
when you finish,
wash your red pepper, onions, tatase, (for me, i dont use tomato at all) and put in the peeled and washed beans.
grind it and add salt to taste while you are staring, add seasoning ( i like knorr cubes), add palm oil or groundnut oil depending on which you prefer.
all these you are adding and stairing! hope its not too much of a work lol

you can cook with nylon, tin of milk,leaves. there's none i havent used but i prefer leaves! its strenuous but the best in taste. but for this class i will use small tin which is what the poster has.

you must have washed the tins and put a little oil in it (very important). not just pour in it but use it to rub the tin.

slice the boiled eggs and drop one in each tin, the beef cut in bits can now go into the tins too.
after turning or staring the solution you want to cook well, pour into the tins, make sure you add  enough water but dont let it be watery, pour into the tins 3/4 full leaving enough space for expansion.
put the tins in a big pot and put water in the pot and check occasionally so to know when its going down while your moimoi might not be cooked.

put on the fire and start a thanksgiving session  grin.
Feel free to ask if you have questions.
When you do cook this my moimoi, send mine ok kiss kiss kiss
great luck.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by cooldud62: 6:48pm On Jun 26, 2009
@all, i have posted the stuff and its there in my profile but it doesnt show here,
anyway, this is it again and can someone tell me if he sees it?

cooldud62* :

Thanks @theola, chaircover for saying why tomatoes is not good in moimoi,
You must not drop your moimoi in boiling water, the water has to be cold . sometimes, they put the moimoi before putting the pot on the gas so that all can cook together and be ok at the same time not that the ones under will be ok while those you put last are not done(well cooked).
take note : only fire is good for making moimoi! if you use electric cooker, it wont cook well. some parts wont be well cooked.

@myths, a woman on her period needs to do something before the moimmoi cooks well, else, it will never cook well even if on fire for 10days Grin. . .i dont believe sha

@okrosoup (what a name Grin),i guess you like okro too.

after getting the ingredients hauwa put down, i will add
boiled egg, boiled beef cut into bits (very small),

@all, to make moimoi red, you can use red tatase ( i dont know the english name) very big pepper
Thats what it is used for, it doesnt make the food pepperish at all.

soak your beans in water for like 5minutes and peel the back (if you dont have the powdered one)
when you finish,
wash your red pepper, onions, tatase, (for me, i dont use tomato at all) and put in the peeled and washed beans.
grind it and add salt to taste while you are staring, add seasoning ( i like knorr cubes), add palm oil or groundnut oil depending on which you prefer.
all these you are adding and stairing! hope its not too much of a work lol

you can cook with nylon, tin of milk,leaves. there's none i havent used but i prefer leaves! its strenuous but the best in taste. but for this class i will use small tin which is what the poster has.

you must have washed the tins and put a little oil in it (very important). not just pour in it but use it to rub the tin.

slice the boiled eggs and drop one in each tin, the beef cut in bits can now go into the tins too.
after turning or staring the solution you want to cook well, pour into the tins, make sure you add  enough water but dont let it be watery, pour into the tins 3/4 full leaving enough space for expansion.
put the tins in a big pot and put water in the pot and check occasionally so to know when its going down while your moimoi might not be cooked.

put on the fire and start a thanksgiving session  Grin.
Feel free to ask if you have questions.
When you do cook this my moimoi, send mine ok Kiss Kiss Kiss
great luck.

Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by chiogo(f): 4:51am On Jun 27, 2009
@Cooldud62*, yeah I couldn't see your post earlier though it showed before you click on the topic that you posted last. But I can see it now.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by cooldud62: 3:11pm On Jun 28, 2009
thanks@ chiogo
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by jovi: 3:44pm On Jul 16, 2009
what bout crayfish?, does it go with moi-moi?
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Hauwa1: 6:10pm On Jul 16, 2009
ooh taste of blessed heaven!! yes!!

a veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tasty moi moi if you add smoked prawn (the huge reddish ones).

lovey and tasty than eggs in moimoi

1 Like

Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 16, 2009
moi moi without serious pepper is nothing.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Hauwa1: 6:16pm On Jul 16, 2009
supported, lots of ata rodo and smoked red crayfish is a must. grin

i like mine to even make my nyansh hot grin not a joke for amateur pepper haters grin
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 16, 2009
crayfish in moi moi? Unless its the ground one.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Hauwa1: 6:27pm On Jul 16, 2009
yes! grounded and then you put some not ground ones on top of it. taste really great. i use it instead of egg

must be smoked prawn
the other smaller one is ok to but prawn taste kiss
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 16, 2009
ok, i dont like the unground one in moi moi. Egg i dont like, try using boiled liver.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Hauwa1: 7:20pm On Jul 16, 2009
havent tried that, liver for moimoi?

recipe pls david grin
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Diva1(f): 5:14am On Jul 21, 2009
davidylan:

ok, i dont like the unground one in moi moi. Egg i dont like, try using boiled liver.

ewww lipsrsealed liver in moi-moi? what does it taste like?
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Nobody: 5:15am On Jul 21, 2009
Diva1:

ewww lipsrsealed liver in moi-moi? what does it taste like?

excellent. Kidneys are even better.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Diva1(f): 5:23am On Jul 21, 2009
davidylan:

excellent. Kidneys are even better.

Ok now double lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lol, maybe i'll try it. The furthest I've gone is using it with corned beef n egg.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Nobody: 5:25am On Jul 21, 2009
boil the kidneys or liver for a few minutes, chop into tiny cubes and sprinkle on top of the moi moi just before you cook it. You wont forget the taste in a hurry.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Diva1(f): 5:34am On Jul 21, 2009
davidylan:

boil the kidneys or liver for a few minutes, chop into tiny cubes and sprinkle on top of the moi moi just before you cook it. You wont forget the taste in a hurry.

Hmm, betting on u 2 see how tasty. Would try it but with liver, no kidney.
Re: Making Moi Moi For The First Time (some Questions) by Reggieluv(f): 6:24am On Jul 21, 2009
Diva1:

Hmm, betting on u 2 see how tasty. Would try it but with liver, no kidney.

it's nice diva1 with liver. i bet u on that, u wud like it.

(1) (Reply)

Your Collection Of Nigerian Local Names For Cooked Meat / How To Make Condensed Milk At Home / 7 Reasons Why You Should Start Eating Acha (aka Fonio)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.