Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,092 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! (28202 Views)

My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy / My Wife Is Driving Me Crazy??? Getting Frustrated Here / My brother is driving me nut - How Should I Handle This Family Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by ikorodureporta: 1:58pm On Jan 23, 2016
.':'.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by passionate88: 1:58pm On Jan 23, 2016
angry angry angry sad sad sad sad shocked shocked shocked shocked tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by BABANGBALI: 1:58pm On Jan 23, 2016
bizgai:
Disown them
i wonder o
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by olojuede01: 1:59pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dude we are in the same boat
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by okpor2(m): 2:00pm On Jan 23, 2016
They are your parents and they want d best for u.Wait until u have ur own children and allow them to stay out wit their friends nd drive carss at ur age.No parents that will not want his child to excel nd be d best.stop compalining nd wait for wen u become a parent ten u will know wat ur parent are doin for u

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by RVBC: 2:01pm On Jan 23, 2016
Thank God you have parents!
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by louiskay(m): 2:01pm On Jan 23, 2016
Every lesson learnt by heart has a benefit.... love and respect ur parent parental style.... they might be acting on personal, or heard experience

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by missjahiniekpe(f): 2:01pm On Jan 23, 2016
[color=#770077][/color]
I wish i had a dad that cared about me that way... You don’t know what you have... Am here hating my dad for neglecting me, and you want to hate yours for showing you directions.... Oh, what a world.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Jeezuzpick(m): 2:02pm On Jan 23, 2016
darkenedrebel:
Prove you are more than just a liability, and don't bother talking back at them . They'd always find a way to place the blame on you, either by accusing you of being disrespectful or by piecing together things that are not even related.

First step - move out of the house.

After all you are 18+. You can always go rent a small apartment.
You'd have all the freedom & space you crave.

grin

Na so e easy reach?

For dis we Naija?

Ok.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by khanwale(m): 2:03pm On Jan 23, 2016
Tell them you are gay

They will drive you out themselves

8 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by lekonso: 2:05pm On Jan 23, 2016
Pls understand first and foremost that your parents love you and everything they are trying to do is to ensure that you become the best that is possible among your mates in future. Even though they might have overdone that, but first appreciate thier love for you. Try to have a discussion with them. Communication solves a lot of problems that would have resulted into bigger problems.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by nwadiuko1(m): 2:06pm On Jan 23, 2016
your parents are the exact opposite of mine....when I was with them, my dad will always want you to prove you are a man......drive if you can......
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by mallamsk: 2:06pm On Jan 23, 2016
Follow us on Twitter @connection_link to get a partner. U can also send us the descriptions of who you want and your contacts to connectionlink19@yahoo.com. You can also tweet with hashtag @connection_link.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by reel14: 2:07pm On Jan 23, 2016
that's what my girl friend foes through as well, she has been hiding our relationship for the fear of her parents. she even threaten tp deny me if I show up in their house. I'm fed up and don't know what to do

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jan 23, 2016
You're on and on about being independent, yet, you want to drive daddy's car by all means.

Look here young man, you had better calm down and thank your parents for giving you a roof over your head. And 20+, they can decide to chase you out of their house and it won't be a crime. Come to Lagos and see where those 3rd Mainland bridge traffic hawkers...ish stay. You're here talking like a baby at 20+.

The independence you so yearn for will come; and I promise, at some point when it does you'll be tired of it. Even if it's just for a milisecond. It will surely come. So, for now, enjoy having the easy life of being under your parents.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 23, 2016
@OP

Obedience is better than sacrifice hence more glorifying. So long as you remain under your parents sponsorship/authority the least you owe them is total obedience. And to gain their trust to allow you some level of independence as you long for you have to earn it. The only way I know one can earn independence from parents while under their guidance is through acts of industriousness, excellency at what you does, humbleness and respectfulness.

I for one, when I was about your age, I was/ is maverick in nature, abhors injustice and manipulation and never spare anything to air my opinion at any given time, yet in all these I possessed the virtues I enumerated in the first paragraph and that made my parents to always respect my opinions, grant me freedom and assigned to me great tasks. And by extension I'd the best of relationship with my parents while under their authority despite my maverick nature and I was/ is more like their favorite child too.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by kachnov(m): 2:14pm On Jan 23, 2016
It's just luv jare...albeit done excessively.

Visit signature.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by pedrilo: 2:21pm On Jan 23, 2016
well parents will always be parents.
just yesterday i called my mum to let her know about the kind of embarrassment i go tru in my ofix because i'm the only single guy.
my colleagues practically pull all sort of joke on me durin mgt meetins cos am still single @28 wit a good job and living alone.
mum told me not to mind them, that they dont have sense.
she also said sometin dat seemed like an insult to me, YES! she said i'm still a kid with an adult brain.
that i shud focus on my ongoing building project and nt distract myself wit marriage for now.
i just jejely say YES MA! THANK YOU MA.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by F22RAPTOR(m): 2:21pm On Jan 23, 2016
listen boy, cherish your folks. be happy they are there. nobody will love you the way they do. its a cold world out there. honestly, the grass is not always greener on the other side, i am speaking from experience. do you even know if your friend's parents are pretending because you are there? love your parents oh and have faith in their instructions until you are independent. a word is enough...
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dragovich:
Honestly, I never thought of my parents to be over-protective, until I spent a few days at a friend's house. It was then I realized that I've never been allowed to enjoy my teenage years and emancipate myself. I'm 20 and in my final year in the University, but my parents (especially my dad), are extremely controlling. Apart from the constant phone calls, they still treat me like I'm a five year old. My dad hardly ever let's me drive, and even told me that he feels embarrassed if neighbors see me driving. The best I can do in this regard is to sometimes "steal" the car. Also, they are both obsessed with what other parents think about their parenting skills. Everytime we have visitors or we visit someone, he always tries to speak to me harshly as if trying to show off his strictness to other parents. I feel so disrespected and trapped. While other parents of my friends allow their kids drive, give them responsibilities, and a certain sense of freedom, I stuck with these helicopter parents that are always hovering over my life trying as much as possible to make me not to have any form of independence. I'm really beginning to hate them. Please what can I do abt this?
my own issue is worst than urs, my father don't listen to my opinion at all, he say am a kid, that am not old enough to advice him, the only way i get back at him is to be sturborn
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by nkemdi89(f): 2:27pm On Jan 23, 2016
The older you grow the better you will understand their reasons for treating you like, they are just too scared of what you will do on your own may lead you to trouble, age doesn't define maturity probably you have never displayed any attitude of self sufficient in their presence. I treat my younger brother that way despite he is 20 years old. Imagine when I still remind him to handle his own personal hygiene, despite he drives we never leave him alone in the car, I still go through his phone and bombard him with calls when he is in school, to the extent I call his roommate whenever I can't reach him. I know I will do same for my kids till am convinced they can handle things on their own.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by modextus(m): 2:28pm On Jan 23, 2016
Op.... Your case compared to mine is childs play... At least you've driven the car before...

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by dangotesmummy: 2:28pm On Jan 23, 2016
grin

If you want independence get your a55 out of house and work.don't collect 5naira from them and watch and see the respect come naturally
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Jckleiin(m): 2:29pm On Jan 23, 2016
I think you should sit them down and talk to them. One of them should be more receptive than the other. Let them know how you feel and try to convince them with good reasons. I had to call for a family meeting and at the end of the day there was an agreement. One thing you should understand is as long as you are under their roof you will be bound to their regulations but you can make those regulations lighter by making them see reasons why some of them are not just ok at your age anymore. I wish you the best of luck.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Lobolintin(m): 2:30pm On Jan 23, 2016
I was once like you

Havig a JW as dad u should know the rest....

Until I grew wings and flew,became a nigga.,,

If not for mom prayers and say I get small sense,I for don turn James bond....

Dude, be calm and pick up, domt hate them ,rather, talk with them ,..make them see reasons okay.,,,, don't allow your peers make you decide on harsh things .,,

Pele aburo
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by akins56(m): 2:33pm On Jan 23, 2016
bro..am in the same shoes with you, I am also a final year student of a university, and I am just 20year old, my only consolation is that, I have my freedom whenever am in school, they only get the opportunity to police me around when am on vacation.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Empiree: 2:33pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dragovich:
Honestly, I never thought of my parents to be over-protective, until I spent a few days at a friend's house. It was then I realized that I've never been allowed to enjoy my teenage years and emancipate myself. I'm 20+ and in my final year in the University, but my parents (especially my dad), are extremely controlling. Apart from the constant phone calls, they still treat me like I'm a five year old. My dad hardly ever let's me drive, and even told me that he feels embarrassed if neighbors see me driving. The best I can do in this regard is to sometimes "steal" the car. Also, they are both obsessed with what other parents think about their parenting skills. Everytime we have visitors or we visit someone, he always tries to speak to me harshly as if trying to show off his strictness to other parents. I feel so disrespected and trapped. While other parents of my friends allow their kids drive, give them responsibilities, and a certain sense of freedom, I stuck with these helicopter parents that are always hovering over my life trying as much as possible to make me not to have any form of independence. I'm really beginning to hate them. Please what can I do abt this?

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by blogbrity: 2:41pm On Jan 23, 2016
Welcome to my world!!
You are almost done with university,endure for the main time.
My own worst sef.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jan 23, 2016
sickstars:
Welcome to my world cry

U cant do anything bou it till u old enof to b living independentely so ryt now all u need do is endure like me
c'mon he's an adult. He's got his life to live :-/

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by oc2fish: 2:41pm On Jan 23, 2016
Earn your own money. You want to pose with your parents car. I love your parents. You need respect hmm. Please earn it get scholarship for your education and all your needs and see how they will respect you. Well the money they are using to send you to school can be put into bank for their old age you know or use in traveling the world. You should be grateful for the care and provision they gave you.

Any child HMMMMMM.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by LesbianBoy(m): 2:43pm On Jan 23, 2016
Money stops nonsense

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by mrlaw93(m): 2:47pm On Jan 23, 2016
From ur write up.. u re a kid who need daddy's protection.. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Discovers On Wedding Night That Wife Is No Virgin / Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? / "Virginity Doesn't Guarantee A Successful Marriage" Is A Statement Of Stupidity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.