Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,069 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? (7937 Views)

$30m Spent On President Buhari's Health By National Security Adviser & NIA - SR / Suspended N.I.A Boss Hid $43M Found In Lagos From Buhari & Security Adviser / Obama Appoints Adewale Adeyemo As Deputy National Security Adviser (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 24, 2016
I have been reading the budget, then i came across the allocation of over 50 billion naira to the office of the NSA. From the trials of the last NSA i have been wondering what exact is the job of the NSA?

From wikipedia,

A National Security Adviser serves
as the chief adviser to a national
government on matters of security.
He or she is not usually a member
of the Cabinet but is usually a
member of various military or
security councils.

I understand these roles vary from country to country and even government to government. In Nigeria i know there are several departments under the ONSA some of which include:
1.Departments of Internal Security
2. Defence Affairs
3. Economic Intelligence
4. Special Duties
5. Counter-terrorism Centre
6. Lawful Interception
7. Behavioural Analysis
8. Policy and Strategy
9. External Security
10. Administration and Finance
11. Presidential Communication Command and Control Centre.

These are the few info i have been able to gather. Do you think 50 billion is justifiable for these offices?

Is the DSS also under the NSA or they have their own budget.

Naptu2 ibnsultan tonyebarcanister omenka missy89 modath henry120 philip17

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by modath(f): 10:27am On Jan 24, 2016
The office of NSA is an integral part of the inner workings, effectiveness of & efficient security on both the tangible & the intangibles....

Their budget ois never supposed to be open to scrutiny, cos they may need funds to hire snipers & killer squads to do away with "problems", how is that supposed to be appropriated for? smiley

The ONSA's responsiblity deals more with covert ops,(hence Dasukigate was even conceived), it is the main intelligence gathering unit, the responsibility of the NSA is identifying potential security threats & neutralizing them before they become full blown breaches....

DSS & NIA are both under the NSA but DSS agents are home bound while the NIA guys are defence attaches (but usually have nondescript portfolios to conceal their main responsibilities)

In sane countries, citizens are not even supposed to know about their existence but here, things are sideways...

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/what-is-the-role-of-the-national-security-advisor.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by naptu2: 10:37am On Jan 24, 2016
Obiagelli:
I have been reading the budget, then i came across the allocation of over 50 billion naira to the office of the NSA. From the trials of the last NSA i have been wondering what exact is the job of the NSA?

From wikipedia,

security councils.

I understand these roles vary from country to country and even government to government. In Nigeria i know there are several departments under the ONSA some of which include:
2. Defence Affairs
3. Economic Intelligence
4. Special Duties
6. Lawful Interception
7. Behavioural Analysis
8. Policy and Strategy
9. External Security

These are the few info i have been able to gather. Do you think 50 billion is justifiable for these offices?

The Department of State Security is in the office of the National Security Adviser. The National Intelligence Agency also report to him, but they are domiciled in the foreign ministry (they are actually under the NSA, but the foreign ministry is their cover).

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by cmart09(m): 10:40am On Jan 24, 2016
Sharing of money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by naptu2: 10:43am On Jan 24, 2016
Think about it this way.

The Minister of Defence is the member of cabinet that supervises the armed forces (logistics, etc). The Minister of Internal Affairs supervises the police and uniformed civilian security agencies. The National Security Adviser supervises the intelligence agencies.

4 Likes

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by tpiar: 10:43am On Jan 24, 2016
probably the same as the counterparts in the USA and the rest of the west.
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Aufbauh(m): 10:45am On Jan 24, 2016
To the best of my knowledge, the ONSA collate, analyze, stratetigize and dispatch information and finance to various security agencies or departments within its purview.
The office is mostly responsible for the oversight functions of the President security vote.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by kokoA(m): 10:52am On Jan 24, 2016
modath:

Im somewhere I shouldn't be doing this, grin

Will be back to edit..
u dey church dey press phone. Smh.
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by babyfaceafrica: 11:15am On Jan 24, 2016
That office is actually powerful,50 billions is actually not bad considering that other security agencies also have there fees in the budget.
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 24, 2016
naptu2:

The Department of State Security is in the office of the National Security Adviser. The National Intelligence Agency also report to him, but they are domiciled in the foreign ministry (they are actually under the NSA, but the foreign ministry is their cover).
Does it mean that the budget of the DSS (recurrent and capital) is include in the NSA's budget
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Nobody: 11:25am On Jan 24, 2016
naptu2:
Think about it this way.

The Minister of Defence is the member of cabinet that supervises the armed forces (logistics, etc). The Minister of Internal Affairs supervises the police and uniformed civilian security agencies. The National Security Adviser supervises the intelligence agencies.

This makes sense
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by modath(f): 11:28am On Jan 24, 2016
kokoA:
u dey church dey press phone. Smh.

No shake your head, choir dey sing one boring hymn nah!! grin cheesy

Moreover my soul nor concern pastor, as long as the money dey come,all is permissible... JK.
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Nobody: 11:30am On Jan 24, 2016
tpiar:
probably the same as the counterparts in the USA and the rest of the west.

Aufbauh:
To the best of my knowledge, the ONSA collate, analyze, stratetigize and dispatch information and finance to various security agencies or departments within its purview.
The office is mostly responsible for the oversight functions of the President security vote.

This means they (NSA) can legally procure arms for other security agencies just as governors buy patrol vehicles for the police
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by carinmom(f): 11:30am On Jan 24, 2016
modath:

The office of NSA is an integral part of the inner workings, effectiveness of & efficient security on both the tangible & the intangibles....

Their budget ois never supposed to be open to scrutiny, cos they may need funds to hire snipers & killer squads to do away with "problems", how is that supposed to be appropriated for? smiley

The ONSA's responsiblity deals more with covert ops,(hence Dasukigate was even conceived), it is the main intelligence gathering unit, the responsibility of the NSA is identifying potential security threats & neutralizing them before they become full blown breaches....

DSS & NIA are both under the NSA but DSS agents are home bound while the NIA guys are defence attaches (but usually have nondescript portfolios to conceal their main responsibilities)

In sane countries, citizens are not even supposed to know about their existence but here, things are sideways...

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/what-is-the-role-of-the-national-security-advisor.html

You've posted exactly what i learned from my lawyer friend when i asked him this same question few months ago.
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by naptu2: 11:35am On Jan 24, 2016
Obiagelli. Read section 4 of this act. This is the act that established the SSS and NIA (in 1986). Note: The Nigerian Security Organisation (NSO) is the forerunner of the SSS, NIA and DIA

http://www.placng.org/new/print.php?sn=336
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Nobody: 11:36am On Jan 24, 2016
modath:

Very well written. Thanks

Ben bruce and those calling for the open trial of Sambo Dasuki must be very silly then
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Nobody: 11:42am On Jan 24, 2016
naptu2:
Obiagelli. Read section 4 of this act. This is the act that established the SSS and NIA (in 1986). Note: The Nigerian Security Organisation (NSO) is the forerunner of the SSS, NIA and DIA

http://www.placng.org/new/print.php?sn=336

NATIONAL SECURITY
AGENCIES ACT
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
SECTION
1. Establishment of National
Security Agencies.
2. General duties of the National
Security Agencies.
3. Principal officers of the
Agencies.
4. Co-ordinator on National
Security.
5. Establishment of advisory
councils.
6. Instruments relating to the
advisory councils, the structure,
etc., of the Agencies.
7. Repeal.
8. Short title.
NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCIES ACT
An Act to disband the Nigerian
Security Organisation and to create
three security
agencies, charging each with the
conduct of the relevant aspect of
the national
security and other related matters.
[1986 No. 19.)
[5th June, 1986]
[Commencement.)
1. Establishment of National
Security Agencies
There shall, for the effective
conduct of national security, be
established the following
National Security Agencies, that is
to say-
(a) the Defence
Intelligence Agency;
(b) the National
Intelligence Agency; and
(c) the State Security
Service.
2. General duties of the National
Security Agencies
(1) The Defence Intelligence Agency
shall be charged with responsibility
for-
(a) the prevention
and detection of crime of a military
nature against the security
of Nigeria;
(b) the protection
and preservation of all military
classified matters concerning the
security of Nigeria, both within and
outside Nigeria;
(c) such other
responsibilities affecting defence
intelligence of a military nature,
both within and outside Nigeria, as
the President, or the Chief of
Defence
Staff, as the case may be, may deem
necessary.
(2) The National Intelligence Agency
for-
(a) the general
maintenance of the security of
Nigeria outside Nigeria, concerning
matters that are not related to
military issues; and
(b) such other
responsibilities affecting national
intelligence outside Nigeria as the
National Defence Councilor the
President, as the case may be, may
deem necessary.
(3) The State Security Service shall
be charged with responsibility for-
(a) the prevention and
detection within Nigeria of any
crime against the internal
security of Nigeria;
(b) the protection
and preservation of all non-military
classified matters concerning
the internal security of Nigeria; and
(c) such other
responsibilities affecting internal
security within Nigeria as the
National
Assembly or the President, as the
case may be, may deem necessary.
(4) The provisions of subsections (I),
(2) and (3) of this section shall have
effect
notwithstanding the provisions of
any other law to the contrary, or
any matter therein
mentioned.
(5) In this section, "classified
matter" has the same meaning
assigned thereto in
section 9 of the Official Secrets Act.
[Cap. 03.]
3. Principal officers of the
Agencies
(I) There shall be appointed for
each of the agencies, a principal
officer, who shall be
known by such designation as the
President may determine.
(2) The principal officers of the
agencies shall in the discharge of
their functions under this Act-
(a) in the case of the
State Security Service and the
National Intelligence Agency,
be responsible directly to the
President; and
(b) in the case of the
Defence Intelligence Agency, be
directly responsible to the
Chief of Defence Staff.
4. Co-ordinator on National
Security
(1) For the purpose of co-ordinating
the intelligence activities of the
National Security Agencies
set up under section I of this Act,
there shall be appointed by the
President a Co-ordinator on
National Security.
(2) The Co-ordinator on National
Security shall be a principal staff
officer in the office of the President.
(3) The Co-ordinator on National
Security shall be charged with the
duty of-
(a) advising the
President on matters concerning the
intelligence activities of the
agencies;
(b) making
recommendations in relation to the
activities of the agencies to the
President, as contingencies may
warrant;
(c) correlating and
evaluating intelligence reports
relating to the national security
and providing the appropriate
dissemination of such intelligence
within Government,
using existing facilities as the
President may direct;
(d) determining the
number and level of staff to be
employed by each agency
established pursuant to section I of
this Act and organising the transfer
and
posting of staff, especially the
transfer and posting of existing staff
of the Nigerian
Security Organisation established
pursuant to the Nigerian Security
Organisation Act
1976, repealed by section 7 (1) of
this Act;
(e) doing such other
things in connection with the
foregoing provisions of this
section as the President may, from
time to time, determine.
5. Establishment of advisory
councils
(1) There shall, in the interest of
national security, be established
two advisory councils, that is to say-
(a) the National Defence
Council;
(b) the National Security
Council.
(2) The National Security Council
for matters
relating-
(a) to public security; and
(b) generally to the
structure, staff and other matters
concerning the agencies set
up under this Act.
(3) The National Defence Council
shall advise the President on all
matters concerning the
defence of the sovereignty and
territorial integrity of Nigeria.
6. Instruments relating to the
advisory councils, the structure,
etc., of the Agencies
The President may by an
instrument under his hand
make provisions with respect to
the following matters, that is to
say-
(a) the composition,
membership and appointment to
the advisory councils
established by section 5 (1) of this
Act;
(b) the structure of
each of the agencies set up under
this Act (including the
designation and the appointment of
the principal officers of the agency
concerned)
and the manner in which each
agency is to be administered;
(c) the manner in
which the powers of each agency is
to be exercised and the
conferment on specified officers of
the agencies, of the powers of a
superior police officer; and
(d) such other
matters concerning or incidental to
any of the matters mentioned in
this Act as the President may deem
fit.
7. Repeal, etc.
(I) The Nigerian Security
Organisation Act is hereby
repealed.
(2) If any other law is inconsistent
with the provisions of this Act, the
provisions of
this Act shall prevail and that other
law shall, to the extent of the
inconsistency, be void.
8. Short title
This Act may be cited as the
National Security Agencies Act.
SUBSIDIARY LEGISLATION
No Subsidiary Legislation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by coldsummer: 11:45am On Jan 24, 2016
In Nigeria it's to share monies like father Christmas and atm machine
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by omenka(m): 11:57am On Jan 24, 2016
modath:

@ Obiagelli, I guess this and that of Naptu2 should suffice.

Having a screwed up day so far. Hangover wan kill me. Didn't take much but mixed too much. cry
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Nobody: 11:59am On Jan 24, 2016
omenka:

Having a screwed up day so far. Hangover wan kill me. Didn't take much but mixed too much. cry

Naptu2 and modath have done great.

Pele, luckily today is a rest day.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Djicemob: 12:04pm On Jan 24, 2016
Obiagelli:

Ben bruce and those calling for the open trial of Sambo Dasuki must be very silly then
But the DSS and EFCC constantly releasing confessionary propaganda statements to the press are not silly? undecided

Sometimes in life you cant have it both ways.You probably wanted to justify something but ended up roping yourself in another.
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jan 24, 2016
Djicemob:
But the DSS and EFCC constantly releasing confessionary propaganda statements to the press are not silly? undecided

Sometimes in life you cant have it both ways.You probably wanted to justify something but ended up roping yourself in another.
The media has a job to do, do you have a link to the press conference by the DSS or EFCC

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Djicemob: 12:19pm On Jan 24, 2016
Obiagelli:

The media has a job to do, do you have a link to the press conference by the DSS or EFCC
Lets not get naive here we know how those statements got out.

Unless you are saying all those statements were lies and make believe by the "media" undecided
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by modath(f): 12:30pm On Jan 24, 2016
Obiagelli:

Thanks sis , my pleasure. .. wink

Ben Bruce is not silly, it is an insult to genuinely silly people , he is an Idiot with extremely poor judgement, unrealistic& reasoning, that he is rich does not excuse the fact that he is a classless soul...

He is a divisive element like Hero, he does not gauge the mood of the nation nor have objective opinions to posit to his twitter constituency.. , just posts sentimental crap..

I follow him on twitter, he is full of high falutin crap.... Hardly speaks in the senate but turns to a canary online.

Still waiting for the day his NTA days will be revisited;, with all his superior opinions, acumen & biz savvy, NTA's BC equipments are still stuck in the 60s!!!

Na wah.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by PRYCE(m): 12:32pm On Jan 24, 2016
modath:

CHAI!!!
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:01pm On Jan 24, 2016
Obiagelli:

From wikipedia,

security councils.

2. Defence Affairs
3. Economic Intelligence
4. Special Duties
6. Lawful Interception
7. Behavioural Analysis
8. Policy and Strategy
9. External Security

DSS is under the presidency

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:05pm On Jan 24, 2016
omenka:

How you gon run If Fulani herdsmen catch you in that state?

We don't want to hear story that touches o.....
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jan 24, 2016
Sunnybobo3:

DSS is under the presidency
Do u mean the DSS is under the NSA while the NSA is under the presidency
Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jan 24, 2016
Hey

NSA is responsible for providing intelligence briefing on defense, foreign
affairs, international economic policy,
and local intelligence to the president, Intel is acquired from both covert/overt civilian and military assets possible reason Y former Military officers get the position,
Current CTCOIN ops ,Militancy and other threats have made the office more active inline with its responsibilities

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jan 24, 2016
Obiagelli:

Do u mean the DSS is under the NSA while the NSA is under the presidency
SSS operates as a
department within the presidency and is under the
control of the National Security Adviser.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? by Aufbauh(m): 1:35pm On Jan 24, 2016
Obiagelli:

This means they (NSA) can legally procure arms for other security agencies just as governors buy patrol vehicles for the police

Yeah but must be vetted by Mr President and not just within the official discretion of the ONSA.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amina Mohammed And Morocco Hold Trade Meeting In Rabat / Adamawa: Fintiri Voids Bindow’s Last-minute Appointments / Pictures Of Peter Obi's Wife And Children:simplicity Runs In The Family.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.