Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

What To Do If Your Brakes Fail - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do If Your Brakes Fail (32505 Views)

Signs To Note When Your Brakes Need Servicing / What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? / 12 Ways To Stop A Car With Faulty Brakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by AutosBay(m): 7:23am On Jan 25, 2016
10 Steps to Safety

1. Downshift immediately

Putting the car in a lower gear allows the engine to slow the car, and may give you enough time to be able to safely pull over. Whether you're driving an automatic or a manual, try to downshift smoothly through the gears. If you downshift too quickly, you risk a skid. Do not shut off the car to stop it, as you'll lose your power steering, and do not put the car in neutral or you will lose the engine braking effect.

2. Try the emergency brake, but don't depend on it to stop you

If you're driving a car with a good, strong emergency brake, go ahead and use it. In cars with manual transmissions, the emergency brake is often operated via a hand-activated lever located behind the shifter, while in many automatics you use a small pedal located on the far left of the driver. It helps to try your emergency brake out at slow speeds to see how much stopping power it really has.

3. Work your vehicle into the right lane as soon as you can

Move toward the right shoulder of the road, or, if possible, toward an exit. If it is necessary to change lanes, do so smoothly and carefully, watching your mirrors and the traffic around you closely.

4. Stay off the gas pedal

Perhaps this goes without saying, but do not touch the gas pedal. Your goal, right now, is to slow down, pull over and safely stop.

5. Check for brake pedal blockage

Believe it or not, debris such as as soda cans or bottles, coffee cups, rolls of paper towels and other items bouncing around in the cockpit can wedge behind your brake pedal, preventing its use. Make sure the pedal's path is clear and if not, kick the obstruction out of the way.

6. Pump your brakes only if you have an older car without anti-lock brakes (ABS)

If your car has standard brakes they may respond to pumping, which could build up enough hydraulic pressure to allow them to work again. But many newer cars with ABS will do the pumping for you, so you should firmly press the brake pedal even if the brakes are not working. The brake failure may be temporary and if they suddenly start working again, your foot will be where it needs to be.

7. Alert others

Turn on your hazards and honk your horn until you're stopped so other motorists will know to give you plenty of room.

8. If you must hit something, aim for something "soft"

This is a judgment call, but a wooden fence is better than a tree, for example -- and anything is preferable to hitting a human being.

9. Stay calm

Knowing the steps outlined in this article and being able to perform them should give you the confidence to respond naturally instead of panicking, in the unlikely event that your brakes do fail.

10. Once you're safely stopped, summon help

Don't be tempted to drive the car again, even if the brakes suddenly start working. Have the car towed to a repair shop or dealer for inspection and repair.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/18/what-to-do-if-your-brakes-fail/

106 Likes 34 Shares

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Nobody: 7:40am On Jan 25, 2016
Story look for the nearest solid structure... And not humans also a very expensive car whose owner may not have time to quarrel you...

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by vault(m): 7:46am On Jan 25, 2016
Good one..... I needed this.
the only reason I drive gently is because its my fada's car undecided

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Exponental(m): 7:49am On Jan 25, 2016
most times, it happens within a short time. you get confused and uneasy.
for Manual, switch off ignition and remove leg from clutch gradually while gear is still engaged.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by saintgoogle(m): 8:06am On Jan 25, 2016
wink
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by MrBen10(m): 8:16am On Jan 25, 2016
This worth to be on FP oh.
Lalasticlala come and see what to show all this Dangote trailers that has been killing people since 1908.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by helphelp: 9:13am On Jan 25, 2016
Good one
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by boboLIL(m): 9:13am On Jan 25, 2016
Nice one
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by 4hys: 9:13am On Jan 25, 2016
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Integrityfarms(m): 9:14am On Jan 25, 2016
It takes unusual courage to do all these...o

6 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by niceeric(m): 9:14am On Jan 25, 2016
what to do when your break fails (9ja version)
1. If na manual tranny, you're protected...use handbrake carefully(i prefer the slightly engaged and disengaged method till speed reduces)...if engaged fully on good speed, you go use your car write 'C' for road and that one go dey disastrous oooo....at a very reduced speed, youll do panamolenu while on gear 1( kill the engine while gear one is engaged)...the car would jerk a few times and come to a halt...
If it's an AUTO, and on very good speed, at this point I'll first say :- there's nothing beyond the power of prayers...that said, move your gear lever to neutral first (atleast the moving coffin won't gain more speed) BUT if you are in a sloppy road!!!!....nothin concern neutral again ooo....just wait on the Lord and prepare to meet. you can as a last resort engage your handbrake halfway and release a few times....works well on level roads till u find a good pole,truck, gutter to end the story with.

2. this is for people like the old me who do not care to check if the handbrake in our vehicles work or not (who doesn't like gear parking on manual tranny abi just shifting to park and jumping out of the car when parking).
Anyway sha, when u notice ur brake on your manual is gone and in good speed and the devil makes u also see you av NO handbrake too, well, that's one lifeline gone...you're still safe, refer to number 1 above without the handbrake part ofcourse, downshift and when speed reduces, kill the engine while in gear BUT if it's an auto, well, pray as usual, wind down your glass,stretch forth your head and yell like hell!!!!!...you can ask some Kamoru or Wasiu to help with throwing stones or a nearby tipper boy can help u throw a heavy duty 'shock' under your car to stop you....else, look for a good pole and rely on your airbags.

Ok I don try...I go wait for them oga siena and other car gurus to speak make we learn more

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by demarc001: 9:15am On Jan 25, 2016
Nice information.

If na Nollywood movie na accident sure! Na naija movie I see car that they disengaged the brakes was comfortably driven out of compound using reverse several times to maneuver out through the gate, only for the car to be on highway that's when they experienced brake failure. My question is "when reversing over and over in the compound, was the brakes not applied?"

6 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Chuukwudi(m): 9:16am On Jan 25, 2016
Everything depends on the speed oh. If you are on high speed, say 75km/hr and above, all these things won't enter your mind! All our 9ja roads are very busy / potholes here and there. You must hit something to stop, but what my friend 'Exponental' said is the best.

Exponental:
most times, it happens within a short time. you get confused and uneasy.
for Manual, switch off ignition and remove leg from clutch gradually while gear is still engaged.

3 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by BIGTinfotech: 9:16am On Jan 25, 2016
The method of application varies from automatic to manual.

But most importantly as much as possible control your reflexes, so you don't act on impulse.

The idea is simply use whatever means possible, to reduce the speed of the car at the moment without hitting the brakes abruptly.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by demo4ril97(m): 9:17am On Jan 25, 2016
OP make i buy car first, i only have a jet can u tutor me on Aircrafts?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by dave2meek(m): 9:17am On Jan 25, 2016
That's nice.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by ayusco85(m): 9:17am On Jan 25, 2016
Number 11, and the most important thing to do

Keep shouting blood of Jesus repeatedly while applying the aforementioned 10 things. U might just be lucky an angel will come to ur rescue...

It works like magic. If na lie ask Yoruba women traveling in a public transport and the tyre punctured.... grin

12 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by youngberry001(m): 9:17am On Jan 25, 2016
guy uhmmmmm

Number 11...prayers ooh
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Gabrielwilliams(m): 9:17am On Jan 25, 2016
Thanks alot op. Awesome
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by ilotriouzAY(m): 9:18am On Jan 25, 2016
op,u think say hin easy to stay calm in such situations

abeg find the nearest wall nd hit it

shikena

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 9:18am On Jan 25, 2016
What if it's keke napep??

3 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by braine(m): 9:18am On Jan 25, 2016
Nice one op. That manual handbrake once saved my ass.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by justi4jesu(f): 9:18am On Jan 25, 2016
Cool...
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Darkseid(m): 9:18am On Jan 25, 2016
Have anyone noticed how people drive in a zigzag manner after brake failure in Nollywood movies even when the car's velocity is very low.

5 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Hallexander(m): 9:19am On Jan 25, 2016
After all the procedures abeg, pray to God, ask for forgiveness, in case its fails coz heaven better hell, #ithink

3 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by guruvick(m): 9:20am On Jan 25, 2016
V
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by mictima(m): 9:20am On Jan 25, 2016
NIce post
Reminds me of how I experienced brake failure last month, on xmas eve...

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by ichommy(m): 9:21am On Jan 25, 2016
Seen, Thanks.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by MadCow1: 9:21am On Jan 25, 2016
If your brake fails.. Pray to God you wore your seatbelt and that you were not speeding and brace for impact.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by REDDEVILS1(m): 9:22am On Jan 25, 2016
Nw thus is what deserves to make FP not 'Tonto Dike buys a new dog'

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Buhari, Govs, NASS Members Patronize Mercedes-Benz Cars / LandRover Unveils Its Most Expensive Model Ever,£177k RangeRover SVAutobiograhy / Transformation Of Mercedes Benz Logo: The Best Or Nothing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.