Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

What To Do If Your Brakes Fail - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do If Your Brakes Fail (32507 Views)

Signs To Note When Your Brakes Need Servicing / What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? / 12 Ways To Stop A Car With Faulty Brakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Nobody: 10:44am On Jan 25, 2016
awomkenneth:
if your brakes fails just visit http://awomkenneth.com/

This got me laughing. So if my break fails, I should bring out my phone and start to browse on the page abi?

You for tell me to take a selfie and post it on social medias and ask for help abi.

If you have any help, put them here and put the site as a link so after reading the post, I might then decide to visit the post.

5 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by firestar(f): 10:48am On Jan 25, 2016
#nth.

Turn OFF the ignition!
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by enigma2007(m): 10:54am On Jan 25, 2016
0rex:
Trust me on point 7. No one will give way even with your horning & hazard lights. grin
Really, quite a number of people are mad in this country.

hhahahahaha! I tell you oo!

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by OlujobaSamuel: 10:54am On Jan 25, 2016
niceeric:
what to do when you break fails (9ja version)
1. If na manual tranny, you're protected...use handbrake carefully(i prefer the slightly engaged and disengaged method till speed reduces)...if engaged fully on good speed, you go use your car write 'C' for road and that one go dey disastrous oooo....at a very reduced speed, youll do panamolenu while on gear 1( kill the engine while gear one is engaged)...the car would jerk a few times and come to a halt...
If it's an AUTO, and on very good speed, at this point I'll first say :- there's nothing beyond the power of prayers...that said, move your gear lever to neutral first (atleast the moving coffin won't gain more speed) BUT if you are in a sloppy road!!!!....nothin concern neutral again ooo....just wait on the Lord and prepare to meet. you can as a last resort engage your handbrake halfway and release a few times....works well on level roads till u find a good pole,truck, gutter to end the story with.

2. this is for people like the old me who do not care to check if the handbrake in our vehicles work or not (who doesn't like gear parking on manual tranny abi just shifting to park and jumping out of the car when parking).
Anyway sha, when u notice ur brake on your manual is gone and in good speed and the devil makes u also see you av NO handbrake too, well, that's one lifeline gone...you're still safe, refer to number 1 above without the handbrake part ofcourse, downshift and when speed reduces, kill the engine while in gear BUT if it's an auto, well, pray as usual, wind down your glass,stretch forth your head and yell like hell!!!!!...you can ask some Kamoru or Wasiu to help with throwing stones or a nearby tipper boy can help u throw a heavy duty 'shock' under your car to stop you....else, look for a good pole and rely on your airbags.

Ok I don try...I go wait for them oga siena and other car gurus to speak make we learn more
a family friend of ours said if you are on auto transmission, you will have to engage the D1, D2 or D3 that its on the gear shift. D1 is when you are on normal motion, D2 is in case of emergency, that when you pull it to D2, it divides the speed by 2, same for D3 for vehicle that has it. That is, if you are on 120, your speeds break to 60 for D2 while it breaks to 40 for vehicle with D3 options.
i dont know how true though, maybe someone can help with the use of those signals
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by niceeric(m): 11:02am On Jan 25, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

a family friend of ours said if you are on auto transmission, you will have to engage the D1, D2 or D3 that its on the gear shift. D1 is when you are on normal motion, D2 is in case of emergency, that when you pull it to D2, it divides the speed by 2, same for D3 for vehicle that has it. That is, if you are on 120, your speeds break to 60 for D2 while it breaks to 40 for vehicle with D3 options.
i dont know how true though, maybe someone can help with the use of those signals
To some extent it is true but those Drive gears are speed limiters....like when u don't want to go beyond a certain speed,i dont know if they work when u lose your breaks though and not all cars av D1, D2, D3...D is the common one and I once used D1 though mistakenly once, I only noticed the car wasn't gaining good speed,the speed dropped after a few seconds of continuous has pedalling

I'm not into auto trannys anyway,to me they suck... perhaps someone who has used those 'auxiliary' drive gears might b of help

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by iykekelvins(m): 11:10am On Jan 25, 2016
Nice one bruv.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by TITOBIGZ(m): 11:14am On Jan 25, 2016
demo4ril97:
OP make i buy car first, i only have a jet can u tutor me on Aircrafts?

With pleasure,Just head for the nearest Bermuda triangle,nd u r .........gringringrin

Tnx me later.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by demo4ril97(m): 11:20am On Jan 25, 2016
Akin dupe
TITOBIGZ:

With pleasure,Just head for the nearest Bermuda triangle,nd u r .........gringringrin
Tnx me later.
ara eni!.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Snoolv360(m): 11:34am On Jan 25, 2016
Do not climb covet like danfo, hit not a loaded tanker and avoid expensive Suv...target evil spirit, honda parts are not too expensive

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by JustJosh20(m): 11:35am On Jan 25, 2016
niceeric:
what to do when you break fails (9ja version)
1. If na manual tranny, you're protected...use handbrake carefully(i prefer the slightly engaged and disengaged method till speed reduces)...if engaged fully on good speed, you go use your car write 'C' for road and that one go dey disastrous oooo....at a very reduced speed, youll do panamolenu while on gear 1( kill the engine while gear one is engaged)...the car would jerk a few times and come to a halt...
If it's an AUTO, and on very good speed, at this point I'll first say :- there's nothing beyond the power of prayers...that said, move your gear lever to neutral first (atleast the moving coffin won't gain more speed) BUT if you are in a sloppy road!!!!....nothin concern neutral again ooo....just wait on the Lord and prepare to meet. you can as a last resort engage your handbrake halfway and release a few times....works well on level roads till u find a good pole,truck, gutter to end the story with.

2. this is for people like the old me who do not care to check if the handbrake in our vehicles work or not (who doesn't like gear parking on manual tranny abi just shifting to park and jumping out of the car when parking).
Anyway sha, when u notice ur brake on your manual is gone and in good speed and the devil makes u also see you av NO handbrake too, well, that's one lifeline gone...you're still safe, refer to number 1 above without the handbrake part ofcourse, downshift and when speed reduces, kill the engine while in gear BUT if it's an auto, well, pray as usual, wind down your glass,stretch forth your head and yell like hell!!!!!...you can ask some Kamoru or Wasiu to help with throwing stones or a nearby tipper boy can help u throw a heavy duty 'shock' under your car to stop you....else, look for a good pole and rely on your airbags.

Ok I don try...I go wait for them oga siena and other car gurus to speak make we learn more

guy.. as u bad reach... i read this stuff for lecture hall
.. thank God lecturer no catch me.... i wan even piss now

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by niceeric(m): 11:59am On Jan 25, 2016
JustJosh20:

guy.. as u bad reach... i read this stuff for lecture hall .. thank God lecturer no catch me.... i wan even piss now
lol...bro, take am easy o
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by sunnyeinstein(m): 12:02pm On Jan 25, 2016
I lov d topic ooo, because i've been driving a brakeless old kia jeep for over a month and i don repair am last-last sha presently. For an auto-spirit like me its cool n dangerous bt thats y its a car anywayz, so i really enjoyed it. Forget d apply handbrake bu**sh*t, e nor dey work oo, e go aggravate am nii because once u pull it down again d engine'll gather more speed.
Also, dont put that car on neutral ooo, na God i take beg you oo, because neutral go jus free ur engine for d accident to happen surely surely oo.

on a more serious note, pls repair that brake pad oo, dont be like me oo cos i just decided to try it for the experience ooo incase i find myself in such situatn to knw d diff tinx i can do.... and i do knw now.
God's safety is ours in Jesus and Mohammed's name, Amen
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by basileze: 12:11pm On Jan 25, 2016
Thank You.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by zhad(m): 12:22pm On Jan 25, 2016
its better you read "says" the "last prayer" lmao

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by sunnyeinstein(m): 12:28pm On Jan 25, 2016
TITOBIGZ:

Tnx me later.

Oshaaamo! Baddest lomor cheesy grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by sunnyeinstein(m): 12:31pm On Jan 25, 2016
mightyfada:

This got me laughing. So if my break fails, I should bring out my phone and start to browse on the page abi?

You for tell me to take a selfie and post it on social medias and ask for help abi.

If you have any help, put them here and put the site as a link so after reading the post, I might then decide to visit the post.

cheesy cheesy e for. Even tell us to buy credit join sef if we no get data, or make we go quick buy browsing fone to take do am. Or....
....make we yell "who get fone" tru d window wen d brake fail make we for fit visit d yeye site. angry angry

No mind d unblogger, wrongest way to advertise a blog! undecided
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Tori46(f): 12:37pm On Jan 25, 2016
Most people won't remember these things when it happens due to fear and shock

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by sunnyeinstein(m): 12:38pm On Jan 25, 2016
Larryfly:

Brake failure is not a death sentence

Except your villagers are involved grin

Brake failure is not a death sentence

Except your villagers are involved

Honestly, u r on point. E dey happen to anyboddy, wat u just nid to do is be calm wen it does and start using any of the options given here based on d gear n brake system of ur car, they are all valid points i must say because i be veteran for brake failure tinx
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by mayorisaac: 12:50pm On Jan 25, 2016
nice writeup
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by sunnyeinstein(m): 1:14pm On Jan 25, 2016
mightyfada:
Speaking from experience. 2007.

Was driving my mum & sisters back from market when the brake fail. I no even tell them anything. Just removed my leg from acceleration gradually put the gear back to 1 and kept on using the handbrake. When we reach home na him I tell them see shout, my pman just commend me saying thats thoughtful of me.

In case you experience it, dont bother to tell any female in the car cause na them go put fear into your mind with their shout.

Back in 2008 or thereabout, we 4 guyz and a girl where in a rickety campus cab and we joked abt d ride gettin bumpy, little did we know... fast forward 5mins later at around d now zoo garden (funaab) the brake failed b4 d descent(sloppy terrain), we guyz noticed d driver was tryn to brake seriously and was sweating profusely (old man don shake him life komot cheesy) we just calmed him down, told him to leave d free express unto d bumpy side and gradually it slowed down bt dint stop b4 reaching d gtbank bt fortunately a palm tree field dey d side so we just told him to enter and keep rollin in a cirlcle till d tin go stop and luckily it work after like 3cycles. See people gather dey watch us from afar while we gyz dey laf at the sweating cab driver. We came down to a heroes welcome and d girl collapse as she drop cheesy cheesy cheesy

Never forget dat terrible situation we youngies naively helped a confused old man out of, saving six of us!
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by G8Arthur(m): 1:22pm On Jan 25, 2016
Perfecto. U really know ur onions bro
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by okambaba: 1:36pm On Jan 25, 2016
Useful post.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 25, 2016
Darkseid:
Have [sic] anyone noticed how people drive in a zigzag manner after brake failure in Nollywood movies even when the car's velocity is very low.
don't mind those nonsense and hungry "movie" makers.
Very dry "movies" from Nollywood.
Who sees Nollywood "movies" anymore?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by professore(m): 2:15pm On Jan 25, 2016
Some points are cool
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 25, 2016
Some opinions on this thread are quite hilarious & borderline suicidal. The OP has said what should be done clearly & concisely already.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Okaakoko(m): 3:52pm On Jan 25, 2016
it wasn't easy at all. it happened to me last year November, thank God I was climbing. it was even at night self, I was approaching a pot hole. I matched the brake, the thing just go down, the car con dey speed more. if not for my teeth my heart go just escape through my mouth. No be lie, I was scared. thank God for hand brake, na hin I con dey manage till I reach house.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by ogunwalea(m): 4:19pm On Jan 25, 2016
niceeric:
what to do when your break fails (9ja version)

OMG!! Can't stop laughing ooo... I really love this cos it looks more real and it's easy to understand... Nice one man.... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by RealSleek(m): 4:27pm On Jan 25, 2016
mightyfada:

pls Oga mighty fada, I hv been tryin to mention on vacancy section only to later discover d antispam bot don ban me.... ps I need information on when DSS osun command will be collecting Cv...thanks and God bless
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jan 25, 2016
RealSleek:

pls Oga mighty fada, I hv been tryin to mention on vacancy section only to later discover d antispam bot don ban me.... ps I need information on when DSS osun command will be collecting Cv...thanks and God bless

Osun command has not started to collect any applications. Would definitely inform you when we start.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by gagewonda(m): 6:03pm On Jan 25, 2016
I remember wen myn happened. I was travelling into abuja just immediately after d last military check point befre abaji. Hmmm it wasn't funny God saved me wit calmness cos I was calm all tru even though my two sisters were already screaming. I just swaved to d right untarred side of d road filled wit gallops unfortunately ahead was a car being worked on by d owner nd a mechanic I cldnt hit dem, looked try my side mirrors nd swaved bk into d road after I past d vehicle I went bak to d side of d road and was shouting nd Horning for d small girls selling beside d road as d car got slower I just applied my emergency break nd shift d gear to park nd dat was it I didn't hit anyone or anything. I still tank God till today I was on 60km/h cos it wld hav been bad. Speed kills pple drive carefully nd always check ur breaks its very important

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by niceeric(m): 6:03pm On Jan 25, 2016
ogunwalea:
OMG!! Can't stop laughing ooo... I really love this cos it looks more real and it's easy to understand... Nice one man.... grin grin
thanks bros....the one wey OP write na for gentle people who do things correctly,I just decided to make the street version available lol

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 25, 2016
Chuukwudi:
Everything depends on the speed oh. If you are on high speed, say 75km/hr and above, all these things won't enter your mind! All our 9ja roads are very busy / potholes here and there. You must hit something to stop, but what my friend 'Exponental' said is the best.

Ori E fokasibe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Buhari, Govs, NASS Members Patronize Mercedes-Benz Cars / LandRover Unveils Its Most Expensive Model Ever,£177k RangeRover SVAutobiograhy / Check Out The Mercedes G-Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.