Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,888 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months (3953 Views)

Nigerian Army, Govt Offices Owe N60 Billion In Electricity Bills’ / Photo: When Aregbesola Finally Pays Your Salaries After Three Years. / Fayose Withdraws Workers’ Salaries After Payment-the Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by SignalNG1(m): 11:14pm On Jan 25, 2016
Benue State Governor Samuel Ortom has come under fire for spending over N100 million for the senatorial declaration event of APC Benue South senatorial candidate, Mr. Daniel Onjeh when civil servants in the state are being owed months of unpaid salaries.

This is coming as the governor has also been accused of borrowing excessively to the tune N60 billion within a space of seven months since he assumed office as governor of Benue State.

In the midst of Benue State government’s inability to pay salaries, several Benue State indigenes who spoke to SIGNAL on Monday on condition of anonymity lamented Ortom’s flagrant wastage of the state’s resources on frivolous projects that have no direct or indirect bearing on the welfare of Benue State workers, the latest being the political campaign of Daniel Onjeh.

“What is the relevance of Daniel Onjeh’s election to Benue State that the governor pulled out N100 million from the state’s treasury for his declaration on Saturday when I am being owed 4 months salary?”, a concerned Benue civil servant who did not want to be named queried in frustration.

A top official of the Benue State government who spoke to this newspaper decried Ortom’s excessive borrowing since he came into office. “The first month he came he borrowed N10 billion. The second month he borrowed N5 billion. Then he got a bailout of N28.1 billion. Just a few days ago, he wrote to the Benue State House of Assembly seeking permission to borrow another N15 billion. What is all this borrowing about? These are debts that Benue State will continue to pay for the next 60 years. What it means is that Ortom has mortgaged the future of Benue State for the next 60 years. Despite all these borrowing, he is seven months in office and owing 4 months salaries. So where is the money going to? Benue State is in a mess”, the source lamented painfully.

Ortom, SIGNAL gathered pulled out the sum of N100 million for Saturday’s declaration ceremony of Daniel Onjeh who is contesting for the Benue South Senatorial district election under Ortom’s All Progressives Congress (APC).

Efforts to reach the governor's media assistant for a reaction have proved abortive.

But supporters of the governor are quick to argue that the governor is borrowing to start up government and set a base for looking into the critical financial challenges faced by the state workers. They also claim the issue of unpaid salaries was an inheritance from the past administration.

Notwithstanding, Governor Ortom recently collected N28.1 billion bailout funds released by the federal government as interest free loan to the state. The money, Benue State indigenes had expected would be used in settling a backlog of unpaid salaries of workers.

Seven months after Ortom entered office as governor; workers in the state are being owed salaries for the past 4 months. This is even more shocking as the governor is said to have borrowed a gigantic N60 billion so far in just seven months raising critical questions as to where all the funds have vanished into.

Read more: http://www.signalng.com/benue-state-governor-ortom-unable-to-pay-salaries-after-borrowing-n60-billion-in-7-months/
Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by sirteayeni: 11:19pm On Jan 25, 2016
070........ *Dialing EFCC*

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by ozoigbondu: 11:20pm On Jan 25, 2016
It is official Benue state is cursed

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by eye4eye: 11:21pm On Jan 25, 2016
If you want to lie, do it and hope people don't suspect you're lying. 60B Naira is a big lie.

Op, do you care to tell us where he got 60B Naira loan?

2 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by deathmen12: 11:27pm On Jan 25, 2016
wickd politicians, what they care abt is looting and power, useles pple
Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by Houseofglam7(f): 11:32pm On Jan 25, 2016
So, una mean say with 60 billion naira, una no see "Change"

Hehehehehe

3 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by kutchs: 11:37pm On Jan 25, 2016
eye4eye:
If you want to lie, do it and hope people don't suspect you're lying. 60B Naira is a big lie.

Op, do you care to tell us where he got 60B Naira loan?
Ok Pilate tell us how much he has borrowed since you seem to know.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by eyeview: 11:53pm On Jan 25, 2016
Am really sorry for Benue state. It seems their leaders gather somewhere where they swear an oath that they will continuosly keep their people in perpetual bondage and never allow their people see development
Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by Ayt27(m): 12:33am On Jan 26, 2016
N60Bn in 7months, that's a lotta doe, not to now pay salaries.
Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by EasternLion: 3:23am On Jan 26, 2016
Omenka, how far?

You are clowning on Biafra issues, while your Benue is perpetually under bondage.

7 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by omenka(m): 4:12am On Jan 26, 2016
EasternLion:
Omenka, how far?

You are clowning on Biafra issues, while your Benue is perpetually under bondage.
I've always been very critical of Ortom's style of government even though he's an APC governor. I've talked about his owing salaries, complaining of paucity of funds while the fool went ahead to purchase cars for officials worth N1.5billion!!

The man so far is a huge failure, just like the governor before him, G. T. Suswam. If he continues on his current trajectory, the people of Benue would give him the boots in 2019, that I'm very sure of.

I've also criticised Akume and D-Mark several times here and insist they are not the kind of leaders we need. (Though Akume did quite a lot of good in his 8year leadership, he's now become some sort of demigod in the state installing whoever wherever).

Now, unlike me who could think things through dispassionately and criticise my own people when they do wrong and commend those different from me (like Muslims or the Hausas and Fulanis or even Igbos) you people are religious and tribal bigots and would see nothing wrong with whatever one does as long as he's a PDP member or an Igbo man.

Yall hate Okorocha and Ngige simply because they mingle with Northerners and belong to APC- what sense is there in that?? You hate ALL Muslims and hate ALL South Westerners except the blabbermouth cvnts FFK and Fayose simply because they are who they are and not because they did you wrong in any particular way- what sense is there in that??

Lastly, I will keep commenting on whatever topics and threads I wanna comment on as long as Nairaland remains a public forum and I'm not breaking the Rules- I'm afraid there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

Thanks.

10 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by EasternLion: 4:46am On Jan 26, 2016
painment

omenka:
I've always been very critical of Ortom's style of government even though he's an APC governor. I've talked about his owing salaries, complaining of paucity of funds while the fool went ahead to purchase cars for officials worth N1.5billion!!

The man so far is a huge failure, just like the governor before him, G. T. Suswam. If he continues on his current trajectory, the people of Benue would give him the boots in 2019, that I'm very sure of.

I've also criticised Akume and D-Mark several times here and insist they are not the kind of leaders we need. (Though Akume did quite a lot of good in his 8year leadership, he's now become some sort of demigod in the state installing whoever wherever).

Now, unlike me who could think things through dispassionately and criticise my own people when they do wrong and commend those different from me (like Muslims or the Hausas and Fulanis or even Igbos) you people are religious and tribal bigots and would see nothing wrong with whatever one does as long as he's a PDP member or an Igbo man.

Yall hate Okorocha and Ngige simply because they mingle with Northerners and belong to APC- what sense is there in that?? You hate ALL Muslims and hate ALL South Westerners except the blabbermouth cvnts FFK and Fayose simply because they are who they are and not because they did you wrong in any particular way- what sense is there in that??

Lastly, I will keep commenting on whatever topics and threads I wanna comment on as long as Nairaland remains a public forum and I'm not breaking the Rules- I'm afraid there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

Thanks.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1836641_jere_jpeg4bd759bbded4f8a4018ae12dfbd5248d

5 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by Babacele: 4:53am On Jan 26, 2016
omenka:

Thanks.
if na one fine chic d OP b ,mehn she go dey vextrip for u at same time. it was an epic reply.

7 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by fabre4: 5:11am On Jan 26, 2016
omenka:

Thanks.

Normally i don't like interferring with discussions but I couldn't just resist the urge to do that after you mentioned Rochas I don't know much about Ngige but it is hypocritical for you to blame Ortom and live Rochas. Have you been to Owerri or IMO state that place is as stagnant as Nigeria and Rochas after all his promises of building industries without fulfilling them had the gut to buy a tree worth 300m I think before you complain about people's behaviour towards Rocha's it is paramount that you research a little on the plight of imolites just last week over 2000 people were sacked and you want people to clap for him teachers are not being paid salary and you expect them to be happy? If you say igbos are tribal bigots then how come he was voted in did you even vote for him am sure you saw and is still seeing what happened to ndigbos during the election and after it I leave you to judge who the real tribal bigots are

Thanks

6 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 5:13am On Jan 26, 2016
omenka:

Thanks.

Omenka please stop, Suswan despite his insensitivity did better than Akume.
Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by Nebuchadnezar: 5:14am On Jan 26, 2016
[s]
omenka:

Thanks.
[/s]

shatap and get out of here

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by omenka(m): 5:19am On Jan 26, 2016
fabre4:

Normally i don't like interferring with discussions but I couldn't just resist the urge to do that after you mentioned Rochas I don't know much about Ngige but it is hypocritical for you to blame Ortom and live Rochas. Have you been to Owerri or IMO state that place is as stagnant as Nigeria and Rochas after all his promises of building industries without fulfilling them had the gut to buy a tree worth 300m I think before you complain about people's behaviour towards Rocha's it is paramount that you research a little on the plight of imolites just last week over 2000 people were sacked and you want people to clap for him teachers are not being paid salary and you expect them to be happy? If you say igbos are tribal bigots then how come he was voted in did you even vote for him am sure you saw and is still seeing what happened to ndigbos during the election and after it I leave you to judge who the real tribal bigots are

Thanks
I don't think this one knows the meaning of one being a tribal bigot. cheesy

No be Igbo man Okorocha be?? Shoo!! cheesy

Despite that, you people hate him so much, more because of his bromance with Northerners than anything else- hence the derogatory tag "Okoroawusa".

4 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by omenka(m): 5:21am On Jan 26, 2016
onojiwizardgmailcom:

Can you tell me any major infrastructural projects executed by Suswam?? Jeez! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by Kyase(m): 5:40am On Jan 26, 2016
ozoigbondu:
Your state is the cursed.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by omenka(m): 5:40am On Jan 26, 2016
kutchs:

Ok Pilate tell us how much he has borrowed since you seem to know.
It's a lie. Much as I'm not a fan of the governor, that figure is incorrect.

He's borrowed 25billion so far- 10billion about a month after he was sworn in, then another 15billion before the bail-out money was secured from the FG. I think it is this 25billion plus the bail-out money of 25billion that they lumped up to assume he's borrowed 60billion.

I understand another loan of 10billion is being sought as we speak but has yet to be secured.

Be that as it may, I don't understand why he should be owing anyone with 50billion to play with. Local government officials were being owed salaries since July (as at december) and I'm not sure if they've been paid yet. Other civil servants have yet to be paid since november, receiving their october salaries sometime in december 15.

This governor is just so incompetent.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by fitzmayowa: 5:49am On Jan 26, 2016
And the list of salary owing state continues...I wonder when this new trend will end...SMH

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 6:48am On Jan 26, 2016
omenka:
Can you tell me any major infrastructural projects executed by Suswam?? Jeez! cheesy

let be frank, they are both bad leaders. Suswan did a lot of road maintenance, school renovation during his first term. I lived in Benue throughout Akume's time in office, that guy did nothing but loot state funds. I know why you see him now as a good person, because his is APC simple, as Zulezu will say.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by fabre4: 6:54am On Jan 26, 2016
omenka:
I don't think this one knows the meaning of one being a tribal bigot. cheesy

No be Igbo man Okorocha be?? Shoo!! cheesy

Despite that, you people hate him so much, more because of his bromance with Northerners that anything else- hence the derogatory tag "Okoroawusa".

Bigot: a person who strongly and dislikes other people,ideas, etc. : a bigoted person ;especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group(such as a racial or religious group)

Maybe you didn't get my point you said igbos like that guy display tribal bigotry towards northerners and as a consequence show hatred towards Rochas and call him names like "Okoroawusa" what name do they call ngige? knowing fully well that in Nigeria there is a thin line between politics and tribe I think it has to do more with politics than tribe because he had all his northern traits when he was seen as a Messiah for the people of IMO state in 2011 with his fallacious rescue mission as that time you didn't know we Igbo's were tribal bigots. Knowing fully well that in politics there are no permanent friends I can tell you confidently that his own hatred is performance motivated and its time to stop hiding under politics and start gaining the trust of the igbos

2 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by LordMecuzy(m): 6:55am On Jan 26, 2016
onojiwizardgmailcom:

Suswam better than Akume? Bros abeg stop this trash.. Suswam has no project in Benue and hope u know Suswam's era had the highest allocation and they shared the excess crude oil account.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by LordMecuzy(m): 6:56am On Jan 26, 2016
onojiwizardgmailcom:

let be frank, they are both bad leaders. Suswan did a lot of road maintenance, school renovation during his first term. I lived in Benue throughout Akume's time in office, that guy did nothing but loot state funds. I know why you see him now as a good person, because his is APC simple, as Zulezu will say.

Who built Benue Medical school and teaching hospital?

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by Nobody: 6:57am On Jan 26, 2016
Suswam might not be the best but he certainly out-performed Akume.

Benue people always asking for salary and not development.

Ortom abeg pay pay omenka them.
Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by Meriekriss: 7:01am On Jan 26, 2016
Benue and Osun don hear am...

Check my signature for your breathtaking wallpapers and 3D wall panels, 3D epoxy floors, 3D stretch ceilings and wooden blinds & wooden laminate floors..
Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by Emekamex(m): 7:01am On Jan 26, 2016
Benue State governors looting since conception.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by Aufbauh(m): 7:19am On Jan 26, 2016
I think it is constitutional and fundamental that your home state is cursed!
It baffles me that some of you who have not crossed ninth mile upward before will come here to spill rubbish as if your home state is being governed by angels.
This trend is peculiar to most Nigerian States and instead of addressing those concerned you ignorantly lumped up the entire state for your ignorant statement. Smh.

ozoigbondu:

2 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by peacengine(m): 7:23am On Jan 26, 2016
Benue state is drowning under ancestral curse

3 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by lincolnj88: 7:44am On Jan 26, 2016
grin omenka where art thou
Re: Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months by omenka(m): 7:55am On Jan 26, 2016
onojiwizardgmailcom:

Ok. Let us stop speaking without facts. Let us narrow it down to just the state capital.

Here are some notable things Akume did:

1. Creation of Benue Industrial Layout from foundation up, with over 10 different industries. They are all dead today save for the juice processing plant Teragro bought by Trancsorp. Although they started folding up sometime 6years into Akume's tenure- what did Suswam do to revive any of them in 8years?? Absolutely NOTHING!

2. Building of Judges quarters along Gboko road from scratch, now that entire area boasts of being the most developed with the finest houses in Makurdi.

3. Building of Welfare quarters for middle class income earners.

4. Building of BIPC quarters Nyiman Layout for low income earners opening up the area and decongesting the center of Makurdi.

5. Building of BIPC quarters North Bank, also further decongesting the center of the capital.

6. Building of Owner Occupier quarters Abu King Shuluwa road thereby opening up that entire area where you now find some of the most expensive lands in the capital.

7. Building of the School of Medical Science Benue State University from scratch.

8. Building of Benue State University Teaching Hospital from scratch. Suswam then came in, brought in Dantata and Sawoe to plant lawns, build hostels and paint the entire structure.

9. Building of the new Assambly quarters and Commissioners quarters.

10. Construction of General Hospital North Bank.

11. Revitalisation of Taraku Mills. Completely ran down under Suswam. Today they don't produce a gram of anything.

12. Building of Government Model secondary school from scratch. (Suswam didn't build a SINGLE school in 8years. Rather he'd do some shoddy renovation and them engrave on the walls using rocks, like the conceited man he is, a "Suswam Thank You" statement. Imagine the number of "Akume Thank Yous" we would have had in town had he been as petty as his successor).

13. Construction of Abu-king Shuluwa road.

14. Construction of Makurdi International Market (completed by Suswam and sold to his surrogates. No one has occupied it to this day despite its strategic location!!)

15. Modernisation of the Aper Aku stadium.

16. Construction of Udei-NASME road North Bank.

Etc.

Tell us the things Suswam did with the huge allocations (compared to what Akume was receiving) that accrued to the state from the FG during his tenure in addition to what BIRS was making.

Edit:

@LordMecuzy, it's been over five hours now still our guy is yet to come mention the things Suswam did even after I mentioned him to come out after this post.

Na so people go just dey spread lies on internet.

Smh.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Buhari Dead? / PMB Is Back But Will Depart To London On 15th September. / PDP Disatrous Presidential Rally In Empty Stadium In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.