Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,081 members, 7,821,718 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN (18209 Views)

‘Anyone Caught Abusing The Naira Will Face Jail Terms’ – CBN Warns Nigerians / Cbn “optimistic” Naira Will Settle At 250 Per Dollar / Naira Finally Devalued To N290/$ By Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by ichommy(m): 8:50am On Jan 27, 2016
odinese:
F
F for Fish
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by godoluwa(m): 8:50am On Jan 27, 2016
THE CURRENT CBN GOVERNOR IS A SCAM, WE ARE CHARGED 270-283/$ WHILE BANKS GVE US 199/$ ANYTIME WE RECEIVED WU. NIGERIANS NEED TO WAKE UP & SEE THAT THE POLICY WILL ADD NOTHING TO THE WELLBEING OF COMMON MAN.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by Nobody: 8:50am On Jan 27, 2016
Confused government & confused policy makers.

End time Devaluation.
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by dennisworld1(m): 8:51am On Jan 27, 2016
prices of items are very high
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by erico2k2(m): 8:59am On Jan 27, 2016
slimfit1:

I prefer this cow my sister corruption is now stealing carry go let haters keep hating . May God almighty protect president M Buhari , and give him knowledge of wisdom and understanding.
When you buy sadine 5k next month then you will eat your words.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by frisky2good(m): 9:02am On Jan 27, 2016
You should only explain to people with open minds not those that have made up their minds to be blind followers of politicians that lack any meaningful direction.

TheDevilIsALai:

And why should the banks lend SMEs when they can lend one state 40bn naira at a swoop without bordering how to manage the loan faccility?

Why take the risk by providing loans to thousands of SMEs that will be into local manufacturing ? They never borrowed money to local manufacturers in the past and preferred to borrow importers , so why should they partner with SMEs now?

The cheap loans will be swooped on by governors who will simply convert a chunk of it to dollars and stash in their Swiss accounts and use the remaining to fund over priced and useless projects contracted to themselves via their cronies.

This is 9ja where very sound policy ends up being tarnished by evil politicians
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by cana882(m): 9:04am On Jan 27, 2016
D more dey continue, d more d naira dey dive. & d naira sef dey dive pass d crude oil price. Mayb d naira wan dive go catch crude oil so dat hm go bring am out.. well, wat am I even saying?? All I knw is there's a dive.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by KINGinVAHALA: 9:06am On Jan 27, 2016
okosodo:
CBN is very funny. Wether they devalue it or not, the effects have started. This is what you get when a cow is a president
And what would you call yourself when a cow is ruling you?

A COW THAT YOUR CHURCH RAT FATHER WOULD SHED BLOOD JUST TO GET THE JOB OF HIS SHOE SHINNER

Please tell this forum what your father has attained in life.
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by cana882(m): 9:11am On Jan 27, 2016
KINGinVAHALA:

A COW THAT YOUR CHURCH RAT FATHER WOULD SHED BLOOD JUST TO GET THE JOB OF HIS SHOE SHINNER

ha boss.. the insult's too much. We should choose our words for elders carefully, including him.

1 Like

Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by LastProphet: 9:11am On Jan 27, 2016
kayfra:
I swear they should make me CBN governor when they keep adopting my suggestions (lowering interest rates). My recent posts below:

Watch him adopt more of my ideas. grin

please sir what do you do? your points are spot on, I hope authorities see this

1 Like

Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by gboye1999: 9:12am On Jan 27, 2016
kayfra:
I swear they should make me CBN governor when they keep adopting my suggestions (lowering interest rates). My recent posts below:

Hi there,
Great ideas... Not an economist though
My 2 cents:

I do not see devaluation as a magic wand. We are currently an import dependent economy... In moving away from an import all orientation the FX rates are quite critical. SME's, Manufacturers need good exchange rates to get machinery and other inputs.So a steep devaluation may hurt really badly. It will not help the solid mineral extractive industries that we really to grow at this stage.

The circuit breaker approached that was adopted by China stock exchange market (though not successfully) may really help if well fine tuned. Most of the institutional investors pulling out will always do so in any economy. They are not long term investors. The reason they want the devaluation so much more is the advantage they get in the shares being pea nuts after they have pulled out.
Its actually time for local finance institutions to pick the units up....i hear a lot of northern based finance houses are looking at the share prices now. They are cheaply attractive.

Reducing the interests rate is one thing to do but we need investment in infrastructure. Energy,roads,security, health all play their roles in growing local production.
Local Institutional investors, Pension funds reinvestment may be alternative. Low interest loans from infrastructure focus institutions may help, investments can be recouped by toll rates on PPP financed facilities.

Solid Minerals is another tap yet opened. Limestone, gem stones, coal, bitumen are minerals we haven't really considered. Low interest rates, adopting new revenue rates.

Adding real value to local consumption of refined crude is another option. NNPC is already looking at higher participation in the retail area. Petrochemical products as well.

Watch him adopt more of my ideas. grin

1 Like

Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by erico2k2(m): 9:13am On Jan 27, 2016
Chinazaekperem5:

Speculative assumption sir

Any evidence to back up your assertion?

I would imagine that there would be a more vibrant oversight to solidify and ensure the policy direction
Any indication that it's coming down?
To be honest our country Nigeria has no bearing if the dollar goes up or down. We do not have a say.today the pounds just gained N10 from N 400 to N410 this morning and 1 pound is 1.5 dollar.The BDC and the Banks are killing Nigerians as things stands.

1 Like

Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by erico2k2(m): 9:16am On Jan 27, 2016
KINGinVAHALA:

Why attack the guy?let the cow defend himself. Any public figure or ruler is subject to abuse and ridicule. Even Jesus and the prophet mohamed where.so U insulting his Dad is just plain silly to be honest.
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by arent88(m): 9:33am On Jan 27, 2016
erico2k2:

Why attack the guy?let the cow defend himself. Any public figure or ruler is subject to abuse and ridicule. Even Jesus and the prophet mohamed where.so U insulting his Dad is just plain silly to be honest.
and the president is nt somebody's dad right.
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by elampiro(m): 9:37am On Jan 27, 2016
TheDevilIsALai:

Still sleeping

About 2 trillion naira left the stock exchange in the 4th quarter of 2014. Just when oil fell from $100 to $60
. If you add the losses in 2nd quarter 2014 we should be looking at $3 trillion

That was when Dangote ranking among world richest dropped.
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by godoluwa(m): 9:39am On Jan 27, 2016
arent88:
LET THE PRESIDENT DEFEND HIMSELF. I KNW THAT YOU ARE STILL EATING FROM YOUR MUMS POT, WHEN YOU BECUM A MAN YOU WILL HAVE CLEAR KNOWLEDGE OF THIS BAD POLICY.
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by Yomboy4ever(m): 9:52am On Jan 27, 2016
okosodo:
CBN is very funny. Wether they devalue it or not, the effects have started. This is what you get when a cow is a president

And dis is d comment we read wen we have a goat as A citizen

1 Like

Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by Guyman02: 10:06am On Jan 27, 2016
Several companies have reported that they had to resort locally fabricated equipment to do their projects which helps the local economy. I support the CBN, now local toothpick and chewing stick makers can make more sells instead of important toothpick from India and China.
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by morkaz(m): 10:08am On Jan 27, 2016
okosodo:

When will Nigerians be mindful of happenings around them. For God sake, these issues generated from the corruption of the last administration. Too much of dollars in circulation being shared as if they are sharing "pomo". The current administration is trying hard to normalize the economy but here u are criticizing them for the wrong of there predecessor.
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by Reference(m): 10:09am On Jan 27, 2016
Whether they devalue or not the naira will find its true value. What they are doing is handing control and initiatives to their rivals, the parallel market where real Nigerians live.
Same thing with fuel subsidy. They refused to deregulate, handed control to the cartels, threw away trillions and still deregulated. Shame. The CBN had better quit feeding these economic lions and get real. Whatever pain we are going to feel should be quick rather than a gradual, nagging descent to the abyss. They will eventually do it so why waste resources.

1 Like

Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by Yomboy4ever(m): 10:11am On Jan 27, 2016
Seelurd:

And the cow will be your president till 2019. Kill yourself. If you like.

No dey vex like dis bros A cow is better than d ex Goat.
Dem Goat papa dey kuje prison. Too much goats dis days
they will all die from D beating dey will get from d owners of yams they are eating .
Call dem ewure iya osogbo
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by Okaka27(m): 10:11am On Jan 27, 2016
godoluwa:
LET THE PRESIDENT DEFEND HIMSELF. I KNW THAT YOU ARE STILL EATING FROM YOUR MUMS POT, WHEN YOU BECUM A MAN YOU WILL HAVE CLEAR KNOWLEDGE OF THIS BAD POLICY.
OUR 'MUMS' ARE CONTENDED WITH THE CURRENT GOVERNMENT because OF THE BELIEVE AND HOPE THEY HAVE FOR OUR COUNTRY AS BUHARI DOES THE CLEAN UP , WE WILL GET THERE
WAILERS WILL CONTINUE POURING INSULTS ON A MAN OLD ENOF TO BE THEIR GRAND FATHERS AND GETTING UNNECESSARY HEADACHE. INSTEAD OF PRAYING FOR THE PRESIDENT

1 Like

Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by Okaka27(m): 10:13am On Jan 27, 2016
morkaz:

When will Nigerians be mindful of happenings around them. For God sake, these issues generated from the corruption of the last administration. Too much of dollars in circulation being shared as if they are sharing "pomo". The current administration is trying hard to normalize the economy but here u are criticizing them for the wrong of there predecessor.
abeg inject sense into that swine
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by lightdotcom: 10:14am On Jan 27, 2016
okosodo:
You lacked a proper upbringing. Male your point constructively and stop associating cow to your name
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by erico2k2(m): 10:26am On Jan 27, 2016
arent88:
Yes he is but let the sons or the president I silt the op.
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by erico2k2(m): 10:32am On Jan 27, 2016
Guyman02:
Several companies have reported that they had to resort locally fabricated equipment to do their projects which helps the local economy. I support the CBN, now local toothpick and chewing stick makers can make more sells instead of important toothpick from India and China.
Local fabrication has never been our problem coming from an engineering point of view raw materials and technical know how has been our major challenge. That comes with dollar purchase.
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 27, 2016
Am a bit surprised that CBN is not devaluing the naira.....but there is a reason.

If the CBN governor devalues the naira....prices of imported goods will go up.Ideally....this would reduce the dollars from flowing out of the country, make many Nigerians turn to locally produced goods, and at the same time provide jobs.....as more local industries are set up tomeet demand.

Yet CBN governor refuses to devalue the naira.....so why is he taking such a strange decision?

The answer is simple....and is one he gave back in November 2015.

The same local industries also rely on imported raw materials.So.....devaluation means an increase in their costs ofproduction....as the raw materials they import becomes more expensive.

Now...this would not be a problem if,like Japan and China....we produced large volume of quality goods for export.But....our industries don't do that. So;......devaluation would lead to inflation....and even more job losses.

That is why CBN does not want to devalue. They may be forced to do that eventually.....but for now...they cannot.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by Nobody: 10:42am On Jan 27, 2016
erico2k2:

Local fabrication has never been our problem coming from an engineering point of view raw materials and technical know how has been our major challenge. That comes with dollar purchase.

Exactly...and that is why CBN refuses to devalue the naira.
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by malton: 10:57am On Jan 27, 2016
erico2k2:

But he just referred to somebody's dad as a cow. Where in ur post did you advise him against doing such?
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by Chukzyfcb(m): 10:57am On Jan 27, 2016
You lower interest rates to help smes? Really? Lol where are the smes that manufacture products? Most of the small and medium scale entrepreneurs are into Importation business. Infact banks will have little confidence in lendig you money if you are about to startup a small manufacturing venture.
On the contrary, I hope Treasury-bills rate increase, coz I don't see how we expect to fund part of the 2016budget from borrowings and the rate of t-bills is below Inflation rate. Its unreasonable.
Most people are alreeadyshouting good policy,good policy. It'll stir up the local Investors. Just today the price of a loaf of bread has increased from 200 to 250naira, yet we have Dangote who manufactures flour, shey exchange rate too affect dangote flour? #keep shouting good policy ooo, Untill u feel the effect in the price of things you purchase daily.
Re: Naira Will Not Be Devalued, Rates Would Be Reduced – CBN by slimfit1(m): 11:40am On Jan 27, 2016
erico2k2:

When you buy sadine 5k next month then you will eat your words.

If Jonathan had won is second term we would have been in a worse situation. We are lucky to have him as our president.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See How I Made 57,000 With 19k Within A Week In Mini Importation, Come And Learn / Court Sanctions Access Bank, Diamond Bank Merger / Cac Closes Manual Registration Of Companies In Five States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.