Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,177 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

I Can't Get On Well With My Mother - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Can't Get On Well With My Mother (3977 Views)

My Wife Is Threatening To Leave If I Can't Find Job / I Can't Satisfy My Wife In Bed / My Mother, My Wife: Who Comes First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 08, 2005
i don't know why but i just can't like my mother. it may seem strange to you but that's the fact. i came to leave with her when i was 10 (I'm 16 now) and since then there have always been problem! she never loses any opportunity to abuse me! yesterday we also had a very serious quarrel and we arrive to the extend of fighting each other. i have a very clear mark of her nails on my face and these are not the only. i don't think i can live with her for long, in fact once i finish my high school I'm going to another city to finish my studies cause even the feeling of her presence near me makes me sick. I've arrived to a point that everything about her irritates me, especially anytime she opens her mouth to speak. i don't know if i hate her or not but right now I'm thinking i shouldn't have been given birth by her. sad
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by snowsdream(f): 4:22pm On Nov 08, 2005
you are not the only one that disipse your mum so much. Why dont you find a way to do the things she like and try to please her. Find out what she does not like in you that makes her scold you . Maybe it will her instead of leaving. She is still your mother anyway!
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by Seun(m): 4:27pm On Nov 08, 2005
once i finish my high school I'm going to another city to finish my studies

That seems to me like a smart decision. it's your only way out.
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by queen2(f): 5:02pm On Nov 08, 2005
Anyhow, she's still ur mother, good point snowsdream
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by queen2(f): 5:05pm On Nov 08, 2005
You have to take it easy with her, ask her what you will be doing to impress her, you cant just leave her, ask first, but if u think its still the same... ...look for a good way to solve it. thats wat i think.
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by snowsdream(f): 5:07pm On Nov 08, 2005
queen2:

You have to take it easy with her, ask her what you will be doing to impress her, you can't just leave her, ask first, but if u think its still the same... ...look for a good way to solve it. thats what i think.
Exactly my dear cos i dont advise you running aways Just face it.
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 08, 2005
the only reason why i'm still under the same roof as her is because i'm not financially sound if not i don't see anything that bound us together. we're just like strangers who came up to know each other that's all!

1 Like

Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by queen2(f): 5:11pm On Nov 08, 2005
Gosh, is it that worst, wat do u mean by stranger, infact this is unbelievable shocked shocked shocked
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by fabian(f): 5:14pm On Nov 08, 2005
Aww, sorry mich, will respond better to this 2 morrow cos i gotta go now!!
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 08, 2005
there's nothing to be surprised of! the fact that she's your mother doesn't automatically means that you're going to have good relationship and know yourself like you were one: all is luck in this life. i envy my friends a lot whenever i hear them speak about how they look so much like best friends. what a pity i can't also have the benefit of such a relationship but i'm lucky i have a lot of friends who are always there to consol me anytime i'm in need and to whom i feel free to "expose" the deepest part of me.
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by IAH(f): 5:36pm On Nov 08, 2005
It's either you are too wayward or she is too bossy or both! Please check with yourself very well and be honest about it. If you find out that you have been wayward, why don't you change for the better? If you find out that she is the one that has been too bossy, you can sit her down and talk to her. Tell her to please treat you as an individual - her daughter and not like some slave or stranger. If you are not bold enough to talk to her, you can drop her a very touching letter. Ask her to show you some love. If after this she still doesn't change, then you can ease yourself out of the house. At least you would know that you have tried. Hope this helps, I feel for you sweetie. kiss
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by gbengaijot(m): 10:40pm On Nov 08, 2005
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by gbengaijot(m): 10:42pm On Nov 08, 2005
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by omogenikky(f): 11:47pm On Nov 08, 2005
Hi Michelin,
I feel for you. I think you should pray about it. Really, it might take a long time but if you pray and do your part by showing her love and tolerance, things will get better.
She is your mother.........keep your head up.
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by IB7(f): 3:38am On Nov 09, 2005
[b]Hi michelin89...I understand exactly where you are coming from.  I am 25 and I'm just starting getting along with my mom just little over 2 years ago.  I don't necessary believe that the problem is your mother.  The problem is from both of you.  I moved to texas to live with my mom when I was only 12. She was never involved in my life bcuz she left nigeria to u.s. for school in 1981 and I was born in 1980.  Less than a yr when I came into the world she left me.  I had a good life in nigeria. My fathers' family were pretty stable to give me the world.  But having the world, from good dressing to maid to good drinks didn't heal my emotional pain.  That emotional pain was missing my mom. My point? I didn't have the immediate natural bond a little girl would have with her mother so I thot.  All I had was pictures and letters from her.  I have always despise her bcuz I thot she didn't care about me but that was very immature of me. 
Moving to texas after 11 years of my life to live with her wasn't so easy especially when I was 16.  I thot I was grown and we weren't bonding at all.  It was weird because her and my older brother bonded and that me more angry.  I wanted to be her precious gold and I wanted her to treat me the way I was treated living port harcourt.  I was expecting the house girl, lots of allowance etc.  But life is not just about that.  Learn to compromise with your mother.  Try to understand how much she loves you and how much you love her.  I don't know if she was involved in your life since childhood or not. If not, try to analyse that, that might be the problem.  Talk to her as a daughter.  Communication is very important, I wished I knew that.  And when communicating try to be the bigger person don't feel like you must prove a point bcuz your point might be pointless and instigate the matter at hand.  [/b]
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by larger20(m): 5:22am On Nov 09, 2005
Same with my mom and my sisters and brothers...we all have left home for her and my great dad. Our last born will escape as soon as she is done with high school. I even flew to the united states just to avoid my moms in nigeria...every day spanking....Now I dont even call her from here as I used to and now she is crying for not seeing me. I will only do when I am sure she will treat me like a son and not like a di.ck. My dad is my favorite

1 Like

Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by WesleyanA(f): 5:54am On Nov 09, 2005
michelin you don't hate your mom. you're just mad at her that's all.
do you have brothers or other siblings she favors more? tell them to talk to her.probably she'll listen to them.

probably the only thing i dislike about my mom is that she can be overly protective at times. i'm not saying it's bad, it's just annoying angry .
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by fabian(f): 9:16am On Nov 09, 2005
I'm back. Sawry to hear that Mich, but I think it could be a 2 way street.
You mum may also be hurting inside. I am a mother and I know the pain/ joy of Chilbirth, so I wouldn't want to believe so easily that a woman would hate the creature she carried in her womb for 9 months and nursed, although its not impossible.
As gbengaijot and I.B rightly said, seek her face when she's in a good mood, and try to be the bigger person. That may help. Try to talk to her and tell her how you feel, its not too late to enjoy a mutually rewarding mother- daughter relationship. If all efforts on your part fail, then go with the knowledge that you have tried, live with her until you can find you feet and then .....you will move on with you life. Maybe she will be the one to realize her actions and reach out to you.

1 Like

Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by Seun(m): 11:24am On Nov 09, 2005
Good words, fabian. I'm sure that michelin89 would appreciate more posts along that line - to help her understand her mother better and give her practical tips she can apply to the situation.
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by kenflavor(m): 3:14pm On Nov 09, 2005
Hi michelin, take heart and make sure you take to the advice I.B and[b] fabian[/b] have given you. Most importantly, I beg you to go on your kneels and genuinely beg the almighty God for forgiveness, because you have once said in this forum that u don’t believe in the existence of God (if I am wrong kindly correct me). There is no way anything good will work well for any creature that says he/she doesn’t believe in the existence of the almighty God JEHOVAH. I am cock sure somebody created you and has been watching over you right from the time you were in your mother’s womb till dates.
For things to work out well between you and your mum and also for you to live a fulfill life and eternity you will first of all believe in God, accept His only son (Jesus) as your Lord and personal saviour and afterwards, pray (fervent prayers) and I can assure you that it will then be always well with you and your households (am I sounding like a Pastor? cheesy Please I am not, but I think that is the best advice I could give).
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by Seun(m): 3:19pm On Nov 09, 2005
If someone doesn't believe in God and you want to advice the person, it is foolish to use the bible. You need to communicate with her on her level, by identifying common ground. This means starting from where you both agree. It is foolish to be using the bible to preach to someone who doesn't believe the bible. Or what do you think?
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by kenflavor(m): 3:27pm On Nov 09, 2005
Seun:

If someone doesn't believe in God and you want to advice the person, it is foolish to use the bible. You need to communicate with her on her level, by identifying common ground. This means starting from where you both agree. It is foolish to be using the bible to preach to someone who doesn't believe the bible. Or what do you think?

Seun, I dont think I used any verse in the bible while giving my advice to michelin89 shocked

kenflavor:

Hi michelin, take heart and make sure you take to the advice I.B and[b] fabian[/b] have given you. Most importantly, I beg you to go on your kneels and genuinely beg the almighty God for forgiveness, because you have once said in this forum that u don’t believe in the existence of God (if I am wrong kindly correct me). There is no way anything good will work well for any creature that says he/she doesn’t believe in the existence of the almighty God JEHOVAH. I am cock sure somebody created you and has been watching over you right from the time you were in your mother’s womb till dates.
For things to work out well between you and your mum and also for you to live a fulfill life and eternity you will first of all believe in God, accept His only son (Jesus) as your Lord and personal saviour and afterwards, pray (fervent prayers) and I can assure you that it will then be always well with you and your households (am I sounding like a Pastor? cheesy Please I am not, but I think that is the best advice I could give).
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 09, 2005
kenflavor, i don't think your advice is what i need right now! anyway sha thanks smiley
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by Oracle(m): 5:15am On Nov 10, 2005
WHATEVER U DO SHE'S UR MOTHER
Girl itz really provocative if i were in ur shoes
i might do worse that u are doing but girl letz face reality
itz wrong she may be hostile towards u but dont mind
just be the good girl u can be do the right thing and give
at least a liitle attention not too much
then she'll see u are ok and she might change her behaviour
towards u
but girl if the situation remains the same just quietly leave the house
for her dont even tell her
but fighting her was really wrong.

1 Like

Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by goodguy(m): 5:29am On Nov 10, 2005
michelin89:

kenflavor, i don't think your advice is what i need right now! anyway sha thanks smiley
hey..that's mean! Even if you don't need it, you shouldn't have posted it.
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 10, 2005
goodguy:

hey..that's mean! Even if you don't need it, you shouldn't have posted it.

i also siad thank you which means i appreciated his effort to help me smiley
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 10, 2005
Oracle:

but fighting her was really wrong.
i know but i couldn't stay there and let her riun my face with her nails. it was only self defence
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by cheekee(f): 5:30pm On Nov 10, 2005
hey
r not the only one.i have the same problem but its just that i havent fought with my mum because she loves me alo but i just never seem to be able to repay her back and i just dont know why.
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by goodguy(m): 7:42pm On Nov 10, 2005
Why on earth should you fight with the one that bore you anyway?
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by Nobody: 7:45pm On Nov 10, 2005
michelin89:

i know but i couldn't stay there and let her riun my face with her nails. it was only self defence
read then ask questions! what does that mean? should and sit quiet while she put marks all over my body? if this is what you mean with respect, then i highly disagree. she is my mother she gave me life but SHE HAS NO RIGHT to take it from me or ruin it.
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by Oracle(m): 4:35am On Nov 11, 2005
NO NO
She didnt give U life she's just
the vessel,the medium through which u
came to being
Re: I Can't Get On Well With My Mother by fabian(f): 10:25am On Nov 11, 2005
But Seriously, she has no business hitting her no matter what! Mich is old enough for her mum to tell, pls don't do this, I didn't like it when you did this, cos, bla bla bla.
My mum has never hit me, but only God knows what I'd have done if if she ever did

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Get To Make My Mum Love My Fiancee? / Tribal Mark Issue / How Much Is A Woman Worth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.