Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,100 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. (2872 Views)

Transformation Of Mercedes Benz Logo: The Best Or Nothing / 6 Epic And Hilarious Car DIY Fails (photos) / How To SOLVE ABS Warning Light Illuminated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jan 28, 2016
Introduction:
In this post, I will be running you through how I made a LED(Light Emitting Diode)-Based illuminated Mercedes Benz Logo for the front grille of my Daimler Benz w123 and installed it.

Difficulty Level:
Easy-Medium; Depending on technical skill level.

Parts:
1. Plastic OEM Benz logo.
2. 71 5mm LEDs (Colour should be decided; White in this case);
3. Resistor (44ohms 5W based on calculation);
4. 1.5 mm^2, 2-core heat resistant cable (To power the logo from the car +12V and Ground);
5. Silicon Gum (for insulation).
6 Spray paint (Silver colour).

Tools:
1. Drilling machine.
2. 5mm drill bit.
3. Soldering Iron.
4. Soldering led.
5. 10 Socket spanner.
6. Screwdriver.
7. A plier.
8. Sandpaper.

Total Time-taken: Approximately 5 hrs (This involves some waiting time).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 28, 2016
Starting Point:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jan 28, 2016
1. Removal of logo from vehicle, marking of points for drilling & actual drilling.

Time: Approx. 30-45 minutes.

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jan 28, 2016
The Result:

This process has made the logo somehow dirty, therefore, sandpaper-ing and respraying will be done next.

1 Like

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 28, 2016
2. Respraying:
This was done with a Silver colour spray paint commonly available.

Time: 30-45 minutes for good drying of paint.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jan 28, 2016
3. Fixing of LEDs and Electrical connection:
This step involves fixing each of the LEDs into the drilled 5 mm holes on the logo while noting the polarity of the LEDs. All the LEDs are connected in parallel for ease of connection and to ensure seamless operation if any of the LEDs fail.

Time: Approx. 1.5 hrs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Denn(m): 2:26pm On Jan 28, 2016
i am here
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by lonelydora: 2:27pm On Jan 28, 2016
Spreads mat
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 28, 2016
4. Wiring, Testing and Insulation:
This step involves connecting the positive and ground wires of the array of LEDs. Since they are all connected in parallel, they should come on at the same time.
The aforementioned resistor(44 ohms 5W) was connected in series with the positive wire alongside a Fuse (should be 1A) for protection. Thereafter, the illuminated Logo was tested with a 12V supply.

After testing and ensuring that all the LEDs were working, the entire base of the logo where the LEDs reside was baptized grin in Silicon Gum for insulation and left to dry.

The last picture shows the Resistor and Fuse.

Time: Approx. 1 hr.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 28, 2016
5. Installation:
This involves fixing the Logo back to the front grille and wiring it to the Vehicle's electrical system.

In this case, the Logo comes on with the parking light (it can be turned off). The connections were done under the Driver's side of the dash where the headlamp switch is located.

Time: Approx. 1 hr.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jan 28, 2016
Results:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by tolutweety(m): 2:59pm On Jan 28, 2016
Good job 0rex. cool cool

I always knew you would make me proud someday. wink
#No be this thing I teach you for kirchhoff,for ELT that year. undecided

Well,...continue. cheesy cheesy
I still dey here,in case you need my help on how to apply Thevenin theorem to your car too. grin

#Been a while,hope you'r good ?! wink

1 Like

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jan 28, 2016
Precautions for prospective doers cheesy :

1. All LEDs should be tested individually using a multimeter to ensure they are working. You don't want to finish all the 'wahala' & then dicover bad LEDs in the mix. Some of mine didn't work angry , though they were all bought brand new.

2. Be careful with those tools. Drilling machines are also used for drilling bones in the hospital and the soldering iron barbecues all types of flesh grin.

3. Do not power the LED array without an appropriate resistor.

Difficulty Encountered:
Dilling 71 5mm holes is kinda tedious, so also is fixing and wiring 71 LEDs but determination is key.

Recommendation:
grin For better Logo resolution, use more LEDs but beware of Power requirements and your spinal cord grin.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jan 28, 2016
Denn:
i am here
lonelydora:
Spreads mat
grin My 'ogas' are here.

2 Likes

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jan 28, 2016
tolutweety:
Good job 0rex. cool cool

I always knew you would make me proud someday. wink
#No be this thing I teach you for kirchhoff,for ELT that year. undecided

Well,...continue. cheesy cheesy
I still dey here,in case you need my help on how to apply Thevenin theorem to your car too. grin

#Been a while,hope you'r good ?! wink
Lolz... Thanks.

I'm good, trust you are too.
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by tolutweety(m): 3:18pm On Jan 28, 2016
0rex:

Lolz... Thanks.

I'm good, trust you are too.

I am good too. wink

1 Like

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by leTrizzle: 5:17pm On Jan 28, 2016
Nice one Bro, what I will like is the light that runs under the sides of the car.

1 Like

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by LeylowDee: 6:03pm On Jan 28, 2016
Orex ma Boss.....welldone
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Vicben(m): 6:05pm On Jan 28, 2016
This is nice. Would like to have this on my corolla '05 logo
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Denn(m): 7:02pm On Jan 28, 2016
@orex

Wonderful detailed DIY....

I am thrilled by your understanding of electronics...

Keep up the good work.

PS:
That's my 504 in the background....help keep it safe till the appointed time.

www.dennautoworld.com
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Readonee35L(m): 7:25pm On Jan 28, 2016
0rex i have 3questions about your benz

1) Is your Benz Auto Or Manual
2) I doubt if that's the stock engine, did you perform a swap If yes is It Efi or Cab....What benz uses that engine , seen it in some 98-02 C&E CLASS
3)How did you get to keep the car in mint condition , Still looks like firstbody

1 Like

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 28, 2016
Does this illumination come factory fitted with any 2015/2016 models? I saw a very recent looking G class with the illuminated logo on its grille.

1 Like

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 28, 2016
leTrizzle:
Nice one Bro, what I will like is the light that runs under the sides of the car.
Thanks... I think you are referring to Car Logo Projector lights.
I know it works by beaming a bright white light through a film with the desired logo printed on it & then focusing it a specific distance, but I don't know how DIY-able the construction is at the moment.
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 28, 2016
LeylowDee:
Orex ma Boss.....welldone
Thanks bro.
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 28, 2016
Vicben:
This is nice. Would like to have this on my corolla '05 logo
Thanks. I believe it can be done but a 3mm LED would be more appropriate & you will definitely need less number of them.
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 28, 2016
Denn:
@orex

PS:
That's my 504 in the background....help keep it safe till the appointed time.
Lol... Thanks boss.
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jan 28, 2016
Readonee35L:
0rex i have 3questions about your benz

1) Is your Benz Auto Or Manual
2) I doubt if that's the stock engine, did you perform a swap If yes is It Efi or Cab....What benz uses that engine , seen it in some 98-02 C&E CLASS
3)How did you get to keep the car in mint condition , Still looks like firstbody
Answers:

1. It is Auto.

2. Yes. The engine was swapped with an EFI M111 engine, the type found in 98-02 C-class. You are right.

3. It is actually first body.
In addition to defensive driving, I guess the principal factor is that I have used the car most of the time in a calm city. Also, body work & respraying was done recently (mid-2013) with other aesthetic modifications done even more recently.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jan 28, 2016
Fortissimo:
Does this illumination come factory fitted with any 2015/2016 models? I saw a very recent looking G class with the illuminated logo on its grille.
I guess it must be available on some trims. But I know there are OEM illuminated logos being sold that can be used to replace the normal logos on some MB models.
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jan 28, 2016
Mr Orex seems u studied electrical engineering @ the university level. i do like the pristine condition of your benz and also the peugeot in the background. Nice project out come and i am very glad all went well as evasioned
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jan 28, 2016
dumo1:
Yes, I studied Electrical & Electronics Engr.
Thanks for the comment.
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by leTrizzle: 2:15pm On Feb 01, 2016
0rex:

Thanks... I think you are referring to Car Logo Projector lights.
I know it works by beaming a bright white light through a film with the desired logo printed on it & then focusing it a specific distance, but I don't know how DIY-able the construction is at the moment.

Ok thanks, a lieele research shows it is called LED ground effect. Its DIY-able but with some knowledge of electronics though.
Re: The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 01, 2016
Great work I found one online for over $56.00 for the W204. You saved yourself some money and it feels proud knowing you did this from scratch.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Someone Help (car Issues) / My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty / My 2003 Nissan Maxima Keeps Stalling Whenever It Slows Down .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.