Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,087 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf - Islam for Muslims (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf (21265 Views)

Who Are The Salaf? / Needs A Salaf Who Is Also A Professional Plumber / How The Salaf Dealt With The People Of Desires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 5:22pm On May 23, 2022
‏قال الشعبي رحمه الله:
كنت جالساً عند شريح القاضي إذ دخلت عليه امرأة تشتكي زوجها وهو غائب، وتبكي بكاء شديداً..!
فقلت: أصلحك الله، ما أراها إلا مظلومة
قال: وما علمك؟
قلت: لبكائها.
قال: لا تفعل، فإن أخوة يوسف جاءوا آباءهم عشاء يبكون وهم له ظالمون.
العقد الفريد 1/81

- ابن عبد ربه الأندلسي

Al-Imām Sh‘abi narrates, whilst he was in the company of Shurayh al-Qādi, a woman came in who was crying hysterically and began complaining about her husband, who was not present. Al-Imām ash-Sh‘abi said [to the woman] ‘May Allāh rectify your situation, I do not see her except that she is an oppressed woman.’ Shurayh al-Qādi [suprised at what he heard], asked [ash-Sha‘bi]: ‘and how do you know that?’ Ash-Sha‘bi replied: ‘From her [hysterical] crying.' Therefore Shurayh al-Qādi said: ‘Do not do this [in future], certainly, the brothers of Yūsuf [عَلَيْهِ السَّلاَم] came to their father at night crying while they were the oppressors!’”

Al-‘Iqd al-Fareed, 1/81 | Ibn ‘Abd Rabbih al-Andalūsi [may Allāh have mercy on him]

Translation: Authentic Quotes

1 Like

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 8:54am On May 27, 2022
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allah have mercy on him) said in Zad al-Ma`ad (1/376):

Friday prayer is one of the most important obligations in Islam, and one of the greatest gatherings of the Muslims. Gathering on Friday is more important and more obligatory than any other gathering apart from `Arafah. Whoever neglects it, Allah will place a seal on his heart.
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 7:52am On Jun 01, 2022
When Imam al-Bukhari heard Imam ad-Darimi had died, he bowed his head and said, إِنَّا لِلّهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ. He then recited:

‘If you remain alive, you will be afflicted by the death of all your loved ones,

But the departure of your own life is more grievous.’
[Tahdhib at-tahdhīb, 5/296]
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 9:31am On Jun 08, 2022
It used to be said, "A young man is either beautified or uglified by his manners, & his noblest deeds are mentioned whilst he is unaware of it".

Bahjatul Majaalis 2/600
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 8:32am On Jun 09, 2022
Al-Hasan al-Basri [rahimahullaah] said, "When a man sits amongst the people & they consider him to be ignorant even though he is not, this is the Muslim who possesses understanding in truth".

[Kitaabul Ilm of Abu khaytham with checking By Imaam Al Albaanee. p10. number 20]
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 12:04pm On Jun 12, 2022
Umar ibn al-Khattab said;

“Do not let your love for someone be obsessive and do not let your hatred for someone be destructive.”

No. 20269 in al-Musannaf of Abd ar-Razzaq
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 12:26pm On Jun 12, 2022
Hassan al- Basri رحمه الله:

“If you had seen the Sahabah, you would’ve said: ‘They are extreme!’

If the Sahabah had seen you, they would say: 'They’re not Muslims!’”

Al Hilyah 2/1324.
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 8:00am On Jun 13, 2022
Al-Waleed Bin Abdil Malik [rahimahullaah] said, "Had Allaah [The Mighty & Majestic] not narrated to us the story of the people of Prophet Lut [peace be upon him] in the Qur'aan, I would have never thought (or imagine) that a man would have sexual relations with another man".
Al-Bidaayah Wan-Nihaayah 9/185
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 12:20pm On Jun 17, 2022
Ibn al-Qayyim رحمه الله said:

"Removing the Mountains from their places is easier than removing these four characteristics of (arrogance, envy, anger & lusts) which a person has been afflicted with."

[Al-Fawā’id | Pg. 231]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 10:21am On Jun 23, 2022
Abu Bakr Al Labbad had a foul-mouthed wife that used to abuse him verbally, his friends told him divorce her.

He replied: I fear if I divorce her, another Muslim will marry her & suffer. Perhaps, by her abuse Allah is protecting me from a greater calamity!
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 8:08am On Jul 01, 2022
Ibn Rajab رحمه الله said:

“My (beloved) brothers!

If you are confined and restricted from performing Hajj this year,

then return (back) to striving and exercising self-restraint against the desires of your soul, for it is the greatest type of struggle.”

[لطائف المعارف (557)]
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 3:31pm On Jul 22, 2022
Abu Hātim ibn Hibbān al-Busti [may Allāh have mercy on him] said:

“It is incumbent upon the intelligent [and wise person] to [maintain the need of] remaining silent than having to speak. Because much remorse lies in uttering speech, while there’s less regret if one is silent. People’s misery is lengthened and greatly afflicted by their calamitous tongue.”

Rawdatul-Uqalā | Page 43 | Abu Hātim al-Busti [may Allāh have mercy on him]
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Shidda: 7:46am On Aug 05, 2022
Amoto94:
Qaasim al-Joo’ee said:

“I advise you with five matters: (1) when you are treated unjustly, do not behave unjustly; (2) when you are praised do not become happy; (3) when you are criticised, do not become upset; (4) when you are not believed, do not become angry; (5) and if the people act deceitfully towards you, do not act deceitfully towards them.” [Related by Ibn al-Jawzee in Sifatus-Safwaa, 2/200]
I thought i'll comment:
If someone was to have it at the back of his mind that the real end is when he meets Allah, and the actions he meets Allah with will determine whether he succeeds or fails, then
(1) He won’t want to have on his record that he acted unjustly, (2) He will not be happy at people’s praise because he seeks his reward from Allah, not the people, (3) He won’t become upset when people criticise him because his actions are not for them, rather it may be an opporturnity to improve upon them. (4) As long as he knows what he says is true, it won’t matter to him whether or not he is believed, (5) And he won’t repay deception with the like.

Verily! There was a party of My slaves, who used to say: "Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!"But you took them for a laughingstock, so much so that they made you forget My Remembrance while you used to laugh at them. Verily! I have rewarded them this Day for their patience, they are indeed the ones that are successful. (23:109-111)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 8:51am On Aug 05, 2022
Imam Ibn al-Qayyim رحمه الله said:

"Crying of a women during an argument, isn't a proof of her truthfulness!"

[طرق الحكمية: 66]
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 8:49am On Aug 13, 2022
Imām al-Lā lakā’ī said:

“It’s sufficient for the one who neglects the prayer as a disgrace that the people of knowledge differed over if he’s a Muslim or a disbeliever.”

Sharh Usōl I’tiqād Ahl-al-Sunnah p.204
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 9:13am On Aug 16, 2022
Jaʾfar al-Ṣādiq رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰهُ said:

"Beware of arguments in the religion for it busies the heart and causes hypocrisy."

[شرح أصول اعتقاد ٢١٩]
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 10:05am On Aug 26, 2022
Ash-Shāfi’i رحمه الله said:

“The most oppressive to one's own self is the one who humbles himself to one who doesn't respect him,

desires the love of one who doesn't benefit him,

and accepts the praise of one who doesn't know him.”

[Manaqib ash-Shafi’i of al-Bayhaqi, 2/193]
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 6:28pm On Sep 03, 2022
Imâm an-Nawawî (rahimahullâh) said:

It is recommended for the husband to greet his wife and family when he returns home. Many ignorant men feel too proud to do so. A man should ask his wife how she is so that he can make her tell him what is in her heart if she is suffering (undergoing) something and that she is facing a problem and was too shy to approach him, but if he asks, she will be encouraged to speak.

Source: Sharh Sahîh Muslim (225/9).
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Shidda: 8:44pm On Sep 05, 2022
Imām Ahmad رحمه الله said:

“The worldly life is a place for action and the hereafter is a place for recompense!

So whoever does not prepare here, will regret there!”

[Az-Zuhd Al-Kabīr: 282]

Learn about the Salaf:
https:///gemsofthesalaf

1 Like

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 9:09am On Sep 09, 2022
Sufyān b.‘Uyaynah رحمه الله said:

“When on the Day of Resurrection a slave is being taken into account and from amongst all of his actions are sins,

and all that remains is that person’s fast,

Allāh will take from him all of the sins and enter him into Jannah with his fast.” Imam al-Bayhaqi in Shu'ba al-Imaan
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 5:44pm On Sep 13, 2022
Rabí' Ibn Anas said: 'Verily Allāh has made this worldly fire a source of light and radiance. It is also a source of energy for the people of the world. But the great Fire (of Hell) is dark like tar. May Allāh protect us from it.
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 7:54am On Sep 29, 2022
Shaykh Muhammad al-Ameen ash-Shinqitee [may Allāh bestow mercy upon him] said:

“Know that the intelligent, astute and wise person does not pay any attention to the criticism of imbeciles.”

Adwā Al-Bayān, 1/7 | Shaykh Muhammad al-Ameen ash-Shinqitee [may Allāh bestow mercy upon him]

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 7:55am On Sep 29, 2022
Ibn al-Jawzi رحمه الله said:

“Know that the wise one must eat in order to live, but the foolish one prefers to live in order to eat.”

[al-Tibb al-Ruhani 1/14]
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 6:55am On Sep 30, 2022
Shaykh ibn Bāz [may Allāh have mercy on him] said:

“Being dutiful to one's parents is a source of relief, from distress; and a lead to making an action or process easy or easier.”

Fatāwa Nūr alā-Darb 2/122 | Shaykh Abdul-Azeez ibn Bāz [may Allāh have mercy on him]

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 8:12am On Oct 07, 2022
Adh-Dhahabī رحمه الله said:

“Anyone who does not fear that he is in Hellfire then he is the deluded One.”

[سير أعلام النبلاء ٦/٢٩١]
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 10:19am On Oct 14, 2022
Whenever Bakr Bin Abdillaah Al-Muzanee saw an old man, he said, "This one is better than me, he started worshipping Allaah before me". And whenever he saw a youth, he said, "This one is better than me. I have committed more sins than him".

Hilyatul Awliyaa 2/226
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 1:52pm On Oct 24, 2022
Ibn Al-Jawzī رحمه الله said:

“My son, do not let your past carelessness make you lose hope of achieving good,

for many people have come back to wakefulness after long sleep.”

[Awakening from the Sleep of Heedlessness, pg. 58]
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 6:55am On Nov 14, 2022
[The Most Elevated of People in Status]

Al-Imām as-Shāfi’ī said:

“The most elevated of people in status are those who do not view any status for themselves, & the greatest of them in virtue, are those who do not view any virtue for themselves”
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 7:43pm On Nov 19, 2022
Imām Sufyān ath-Thawrī رحمه الله said,

"It used to be said, a time will come upon the people (wherein) the hearts will be dead and bodies will be alive."

[Ḥilyat al-awliyāʼ (7/82)]

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Isha'i, Ba'di And Qabli / Kano Suspends Eid-el-kabir Festivities Over COVID-19 / China Bans Ramadan For Muslim Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.