Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,074 members, 7,953,285 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:31 PM

The Real Reason Girls Use Exclamation Points So Much Will Make You Sad - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Real Reason Girls Use Exclamation Points So Much Will Make You Sad (515 Views)

THE REAL MAN...... By Lizzy Oyebola Oyekunle / 16 Pictures Of African Dads At Weddings That Will Make You Delighted / My Brother Will Make Me Cry To My Dead Parents Against Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Real Reason Girls Use Exclamation Points So Much Will Make You Sad by lamzybaby: 6:20am On Jan 30, 2016
If you work for a media company long enough, you’ll find that sometimes overuse or abuse of certain words or phrases necessitates an internal ban. These days, the slow but sure creep of ’Net-speak into our stories can mean that sometimes we have to put the brakes on “bae” or sendYAASSSSS on permanent hiatus. I once had a supervisor who even declared war on exclamation points, commanding us to root out the punctuation wherever it reared its noisy head in headlines (We don’t have to shout, he argued).
And that got me thinking about how I use that pesky punctuation not just at work but IRL.
I found the answer I’d long suspected in a study cited by The Cut for its piece, “The Internet Talks Like a Woman.” Researchers found that “women most frequently used smiley faces to indicate not that they were happy, but that they were being humorous (e.g., “That was dumb of me smiley”).” And that gender-based style extended to exclamation points too! (Er, sorry.)

- See more at: http://nigerianpilot.com/the-real-reason-girls-use-exclamation-points-so-much-will-make-you-sad/#sthash.1GatOW7k.dpuf

Re: The Real Reason Girls Use Exclamation Points So Much Will Make You Sad by crackhaus: 11:08am On Jan 30, 2016
Okay? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Are You A Man? A Real Man? Read This!!! / Do You Think Parents Should Make Their Salary Known To Their Children? / PHOTO: Please Be Careful Where You Buy Your Dispenser Water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.