Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans (2511 Views)

Black Panther: How Africans In America Dressed To Go See The Movie / #bbnaija: Housemates Say What They Dislike About Each Other, & It's Interesting! / Nigerians Made DSTV Remove Caitlyn Jenner Show - South Africans Angry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans by Smooyis(m): 8:38am On Jan 30, 2016

East African film maker opens up on what they hate about Nigerian movies

A top rated Kenyan film maker and script writer, Njoki Muhoho, recently took a swipe at the sorry state of the East African film industry, blaming the woes on the inability of the policy makers in the region to recognize the economic potentials of the industry.

Muhoho, who was appointed the head judge for the 2016 edition of the prestigious Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards, AMVCAs, made this strong observation while in a chat with HVP, in Nairobi, Kenya.

According to her, ‘’the issue is not that we can’t make many films, or that we are not capable of many good films, but the problem lies on our policy makers. Our legislators need to decide on the policies that should be made to make the environment more conducive for film makers. There are many things that need to be done to make the film industry in East Africa much more conducive. This is part of the things we are trying to do in Kenya, using the parliament to be able to pass certain policies like the film policy. We are not saying every country that is doing well is because they have fantastic film industry. Some have done it without a policy but it looks like in East Africa, we need government support.”

Muhoho, who has a dual career in Management Consultancy and TV/Film Production also cited lack of training centres as another major challenge facing the growth of the film industry in the region. While commending Nigerian film makers for their storytelling abilities, Muhoho, however, frowned at some of the unusual occurrences in the country’s films. She wondered why Nigerian actors scream loudly on screen.

‘’Why your actors always scream loudly? She queried, adding ‘’Your films lack sequence. That’s why Nigerian films can be more than one and half hour. I find that very odd. In East Africa, we see it as shouting, but probably, in West Africa, it is not. Again, Nigerian films are always lengthy. That’s what we don’t like about Nigerian movies, ’’ she said.

http://linkis.com/www.vanguardngr.com/8t9EW

Re: Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans by adonbilivit: 8:38am On Jan 30, 2016
u don't like our movies coz "we shout"...well, this is Nigeria and pangolo sells more than pure water

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans by sholatech(m): 8:45am On Jan 30, 2016
But from Uganda to Kenya, Rwanda and Tanzania, Nigerian films are on their screens everyday and watched in virtually every homes. They call Nigerians 'IGWE' maybe because they hear it called loudly(winks)

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans by Smooyis(m): 8:47am On Jan 30, 2016
It's unfortunate I had to agree with her. We Nigerians shout too loudly on set. Sometimes one has to keep adjusting the volume restlessly. I watched a Nigerian movie on African magic yesternite. At a point I had to leave for bed when it seems the movie was unending.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans by Akkord4gov: 8:51am On Jan 30, 2016
If you bash her from saying the truth,then something is wrong with

Not a fan of any movie though but I hate watching Nig movie more when a friend begged me to watch "Ile Alayo" that I will enjoy it.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jan 30, 2016
sholatech:
But from Uganda to Kenya, Rwanda and Tanzania, Nigerian films are on their screens everyday and watched in virtually every homes. They call Nigerians 'IGWE' maybe because they hear it called loudly(winks)
And it's aired on their local stations too. K24, citizen tv, itv Tanzania are very good examples.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 30, 2016
Akkord4gov:
If you bash her from saying the truth,then something is wrong with

Not a fan of any movie though but I hate watching Nig movie more when a friend begged me to watch "Ile Alayo" that I will enjoy it.
Yeah but they still air it on their local channels and business men advertise their product through it.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans by tpiar: 2:10pm On Jan 30, 2016
I 'd comment but I am scared.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans by Smooyis(m): 3:37pm On Jan 30, 2016
tpiar:
I 'd comment but I am scared.

Scared of wot?
Re: Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jan 31, 2016
All I see from her observation is jealousy. If you watch most of their movie on K24, Africa magic Swahili. you will just switch off the tv. How countries in Africa watch east Africa movies compare to that of west Africa? How come east Africa movies win less awards? Thanks to Mnet, Hotel majestic is being aired on Africa magic Swahili and others. Just two weeks ago, citizen tv was showing one of naija's a series dear mother. If they hate watching our movies, I don't see reason why their tv channel broadcast our movies on daily basis especially citizen tv. they show our movies thrice a day and they even have sponsors.
I read an article when someone Kenyans complained that they don't see reality in their movies compare to Nigeria movies. The shout, the cry e.t.c are what happens in reality except for the poor audio from the DVD or CD plate. Acting is about bearing reality on set no pretending.
Re: Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans by nellyalph: 10:18pm On Feb 01, 2016
Do they shout I just know that their background sounds/music is always louder (is that the appropriate word) than their voice
Re: Reasons Why We Dislike Nigerian Movies- East Africans by SAMBARRY: 12:18pm On May 26, 2016
But Kenyan movies are better undecided

Rubbish undecided

(1) (Reply)

Homeland Discussion Thread / Sorry Genevieve Nnaji Is Not The New Girl For James Bond 007 / Premiere Photos Of Black November

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.