Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details (25919 Views)

Get 2.5gb On MTN With Just 1000 Naira. / How To Register Mtn Sim Using Your BVN / Hot: How To Cheat Mtn With Mtn Beta Talk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by jazinogold(m): 5:50am On Feb 01, 2016
so using visa phone number will be better!
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by smudge2079(m): 5:54am On Feb 01, 2016
habeeblai244:
My MTN line is partially blocked and I've been getting messages asking me to allow MTN access my BVN to complete the SIM registration. My skepticism won't let me do this. It's not that I don't just trust MTN or something, I'm actually scared of my fellow countrymen working in that company.
A regular Joe working with MTN might receive a 10 million naira payment from someone who needs a thousand BVNs.
Am I overthinking?
Maybe not. Your data is never safe with these companies.

I have a new MTN line I've never used for registration anywhere online and recently, it's receiving promotional messages from Jumia. There can only one explanation to this. Tho my friend told me Jumia and MTN are partner, But why would they start sending promotional msg to me that way. Our Country Men at work.

My bro who Did Jamb Last Year Recieved up to 10sms from one unrecognized polytechnics and college of Edu telling him "he has been offered admission"
pls tell me where they got his number.

So what am try to say is that,
Dont trust MTN with your BVN details. Do you think I will turn down an offer when someone tell me to just give him access to just 1000 BVN details and am gonna get 10millions.

This is my own oppinion, What do you Think??

Source : FROM MY WEBSITE
you need help young man
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by linearity: 6:01am On Feb 01, 2016
So, what negative impact do you think will accrue to you in someone uses your BVN? Even if you assume, the worst case scenario, I think you are over thinking the significance of the BVN.

It is merely an identification number. No body will be able to access your bank account or ATM card or whatever with your BVN number and you are not going to be asked to supply your BVN when you want to reset you password, PIN, etc.

The worst that could happen is identity theft and one form of it, is someone approaching a bank for a loan and presenting him/herself as you with you BVN number and particulars, he/she must also have a picture ID with your photo on it and must have recently completed a plastic surgery and face-lift, so he/she can look exactly like you so his/her facials can match the presented picture ID and your biodata in your BIO...the chances of this happening is close to nil.

The other possible area of BVN identity theft, is e.g. politicians and contractors that have multiple accounts and they do not want those accounts to be traced to them, can (if possible) use stolen BVN and identity to stash some of their loots. I do not see any harm in this for you, you can even turn it to a win...if someone stash loots under my name, and I get to know, o boy! maga don pay be that, we must share the loot together, else I go blow the lid wide open; that is why people in this category will not just use any random BVN to stash their extra money, they will connive with trusted individuals who are close to them to do this.

It is even funny that, some of these people who tightly guard their BVN and will not disclose it under any circumstance even to friends, will willing give their bank account number to anyone, even strangers to transfer money into their account to complete one transaction or another. I think, there is more risk in giving your bank account number to a stranger compare to giving your BVN.

6 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by dammytosh: 6:12am On Feb 01, 2016
Nobody will offer 1naira to get BVNs. It is of no use.

The same way you fear MTN staff, fear bank staff more.

A simple select * will fetch millions of BVN for sale like u said.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by adekunlegold2: 6:19am On Feb 01, 2016
Its a lie,ur brother did nt leave his phone number when he want to fill his jamb form,it nt Mtn,it jamb dat do dat,last year I write jamb nd I did nt receive any message becos I did nt register with my nomba,nd the person I register with his nomba receive all my message
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by KINGwax007(m): 6:28am On Feb 01, 2016
Rapsowdee01:
OP... ''Reason WHY'' is tautology... It should be ''Reason'' or ''Why''.,......

Just saying
over sabi...have you checked your dictionary to see that 'reason why' is perfectly correct. It was even used as an example. I know this since 2008, during my higher institutional level, when guys like you won't allow us hear word.

I biliv u are also part of the ones who will say, "give me my balance' is correct and not 'give me my change'. Whereas, the latter is the correct one.

I bet you are about are abt to write WAEC or jamb, and I've stated reading those yeye key points because I didn't expect u to be in a higher institution and still not be friendly with dictionary. Even the one if your phone will suffice.

If you do not understand that the 'reason' before 'why' means 'logic', then u shld knw now. 'Reason why' simply means 'the logic behind' a particular thing.

In all your eduction, get understanding!

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 6:30am On Feb 01, 2016
Rapsowdee01:
OP... ''Reason WHY'' is tautology... It should be ''Reason'' or ''Why''.,......

Just saying
And what's your contribution to the subject matter?
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 6:31am On Feb 01, 2016
dgitrader:
BVN is strictly for identity verification. Not a password, pin, signature or authorisation. The fear is unwarranted.
Btw... there isnt personal data protection law existing in nigeria today. So its too late to worry, our personal datas are out there for any interested bidder that knows her way. From inec, frsc, banks, telecoms, church, hospital, emails, professional bodies , employers etc.
Keep ur password, pin, signature or authorisations safe and sensitive, expect the worst, and hope for the best.
Op wants to protect his yams
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by kenyguy(m): 6:43am On Feb 01, 2016
habeeblai244:
My MTN line is partially blocked and I've been getting messages asking me to allow MTN access my BVN to complete the SIM registration. My skepticism won't let me do this. It's not that I don't just trust MTN or something, I'm actually scared of my fellow countrymen working in that company.
A regular Joe working with MTN might receive a 10 million naira payment from someone who needs a thousand BVNs.
Am I overthinking?

I have a new MTN line I've never used for registration anywhere online and recently, it's receiving promotional messages from Jumia. There can only one explanation to this. Tho my friend told me Jumia and MTN are partner, But why would they start sending promotional msg to me that way. Our Country Men at work.

My bro who Did Jamb Last Year Recieved up to 10sms from one unrecognized polytechnics and college of Edu telling him "he has been offered admission"

Dont trust MTN with your BVN details. Do you think I will turn down an offer when someone tell me to just give him access to just 1000 BVN details and am gonna get 10millions.

Your very correct. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by zeeyen4all(m): 6:43am On Feb 01, 2016
[color=#000099][/color] BVN is just a means of identity at the point of transaction and also it is a security number that only tag to you and you alone. Which is why I feel nigeria are trying to monitor each and every fraud committed and tag it repectively to individual that commit it. And again based on the data base issue, u will all agree with me that we don't have a good and reliable data base in nigeria. Keep your information secure by keeping your security numbers safe.
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by ednut1(m): 6:50am On Feb 01, 2016
Oh please,
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by NapoIeon: 6:51am On Feb 01, 2016
nonsense post

ignorance is actually a disease

Your bvn is useless to any person that gets it

@op you're a technology dunce

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by expressglory: 6:53am On Feb 01, 2016
Your new number can receive sms from anyone because of two major reasons:
1.That number may not be completely new...it could have been used by someone else before it is blocked and now re-allocated
2.Nowadays a lot of people generate numbers at random especially if the product is generally relevant to all Nigerians
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:04am On Feb 01, 2016
INTROVERT:
Fear telecommunication companies.

Noted
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 7:17am On Feb 01, 2016
NnamdiN:
Baseless.

The fact that you wouldn't turn down a #10m naira offer to allow another thief access to "just 1000 BVNs" says so much about you.

Get some integrity young man.
God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 7:25am On Feb 01, 2016
Op ur reasoning is so pathetic
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by BluStreak(m): 7:40am On Feb 01, 2016
I just got wind of how subscribers numbers end up in tele-marketers hands on my visit to one of gloworld office for sim re-reg.

There were 2 guys busy extracting all the registered numbers from glo's database into an excel sheet, compiling them according to local governments, states, age group and sex. I knew at once that the instruction to do that could not have come from glo cos already the details are hitting their own servers and wouldn't have need for it to be compiled in an excel file.
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 8:00am On Feb 01, 2016
MTN is a Shîtty network.
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 8:18am On Feb 01, 2016
Rekit:
MTN staff will not divulge customers information for any reason.
Then how come the next day I started getting interviews invite, because I filled graduate on it.
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 8:21am On Feb 01, 2016
habeeblai244:

even those people who sell Sim can do that also
I got the sim from the mtn office during this mtn update ish.
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by annibro(f): 8:37am On Feb 01, 2016
habeeblai244:

Maybe, but Your data maybe be compromised.

Wether u give dem or not, dis pipu can still ve access 2 ur BVN by barring ur line 4a moment, use a new sim 2 activate ur line in their office & dialling dat popular code 2 get ur BVN. So no need 2 get worked up, only make sure u update ur Bank details regularly eg do change ur pin code & passport 2 recent one every quarter even ur home address if u've moved. The good tin about it is dat no one has ur finger print so no fear of ur money being stolen becos in d near future all datas would be linked ie BVN data linked to Natioinal ID, Int'l passport & Telecoms data etc

But d truth of d matter is dat dis MTN staff are criminals. In Dec, wen all ds Sim Reg stuff started, my sim was blocked & barred. No calls no notin. Meanwhile I only browse wit my phone, I ve not visited cafe for years. All of a sudden, d very day my Sim was blocked, a friend called me on anoda of my line 2 inform me dat someone sent her a msg dat I was stranded & needed assistans 4a certain amount 2b paid into a certain account & asked some other of my friends 2 send recharge pin of N1500 to my line(which is blocked). The big question is wat happens if paraventure those MTN recharge pin was sent? Who has access at dat moment 2 retrieve dat PIN? Is it not d MTN staff? God will save us frm Cooperate Criminals
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Reptyle(m): 9:06am On Feb 01, 2016
habeeblai244:
Am I overthinking?

Methinks you are been unnecessarily apprehensive here.

You BVN is your account number and there is no way having it will give anyone unauthorised access to your account.
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 9:08am On Feb 01, 2016
slyzy:
I don't get? Can one BVN be used to steal their money?

Absolutely not. Op is just uninformed and too eager to create a thread.
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by titus3: 9:09am On Feb 01, 2016
BVN is just an identity number, it does not have an actual effect on your bank account so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

When I got the message, first thing I did was call my account officer and I was told it is absolutely safe. All the registration is just for identification.
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by geraldhumphrey(m): 9:10am On Feb 01, 2016
MY MAN SHINE YOUR EYES O,DIS IS NOT MTN BT 519
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by davit: 9:19am On Feb 01, 2016
Olaone1:

'Reason' is a noun. 'Why' is an adverb (seen as a conjunction by some peeps) . Ergo, 'reason why' is not a tautology, bro.

Also, 'why' appears almost exclusively after the word 'reason'. Just try to use 'why' with any other word. And, I mean not as a pronoun.

Some say it's redundant. But, redundancy is an acceptable feature of language. It's not a bad thing. In Nigeria, we have a lot of this: 'sharp sharp', 'well well' and wait for this; 'etc...etc' grin grin

Read this: http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2012/09/reason-why.html

Then you need to read this :
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-users-of-the-English-language-even-native-speakers-use-reason-why-together
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 9:28am On Feb 01, 2016
a

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 9:31am On Feb 01, 2016
habeeblai244:
Am I overthinking?

Stop thinking like a woman from the 80s(no offence). We are in the 21st century, this is more or less like a myopic reasoning. Try and find out more on BVN.

I dnt av d time to sit or stand in any mtn outlets just to update ma sim. I jes registered ma sim with ma bvn and I av absosulutely no fear watsoever.
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 9:34am On Feb 01, 2016
catlova:

Absolutely not. Op is just uninformed and too eager to create a thread.

Exactly!!! She's uninformed!!!
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 9:38am On Feb 01, 2016
gommex:
Op ur reasoning is so pathetic

So so pathetic
Re: Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details by Nobody: 9:50am On Feb 01, 2016
Copy and paste OP.. This was written by Don Caprio on his Facebook status.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt / How To Play And Download Youtube Videos Using BIS / How To Configure Your Phone To Access The Internet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.