Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,624 members, 7,958,870 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 06:14 AM

Who Killed My Friend? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Killed My Friend? (1747 Views)

Abdulmumuni Abiola: Yorubas Killed My Father, Shared His Meat – MKO Abiola’s Son / 'Do Not Be Deceived,This Airline Killed My Wife & Kid':Ex-speaker Blasts Rochas( / Boko Haram Fighters Nabbed Including Boy Who Killed 32 People During Attack.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Killed My Friend? by Acidosis(m): 6:56pm On Jan 31, 2016
Its no longer a breaking and an attention grabbing news that 7 people lost their lives following the boat mishap yesterday in Lagos. The unfortunate issue however is the fact that these innocent souls, including my friend and their families, may be abandoned and left without any form of explanations from the responsible arms.

Just a little about our relationship: I share the same hostel with him and his brother years back in Delta State University, Abraka. Benbo area in Ekrejeta to be preçise. We shared virtually everything including food, water, ideas, big business ideas, just name it.

Today I was shocked to my marrows on seeing his Facebook wall filled with RIP wishes and sorrowful messages.

Now to the main purpose of this thread. Please read the disjointed issues from Punch.

Tragedy struck on Saturday in the Ikorodu area of Lagos State after a commercial boat capsized at Ijede, killing seven passengers. SUNDAY PUNCH learnt that the boat was conveying 17 passengers and two crew members from Ijede en route Badore, shortly after the state monthly environmental sanitation when it crashed at a dredging point.

Of the 17 passengers, four were said to have been recovered dead at the scene of the incident, while three of the 13 survivors were said to have given up the ghost after being taken to both public and private hospitals. The total number of death recorded was seven.

The boat wreckage had also been taken to the Island office of the Marine
Police.

A rescue official with LASEMA said the incident happened around 10.20am, adding that the person in charge of the boat was unaware that dredging activities were ongoing.

He said, “A 20-passenger-capacity boat, conveying 17 passengers from Ijede en route Badore, capsized at about 10.20am. Preliminary investigation revealed that the boat, belonging to Aki Marine, had 17 passengers and two crew members on board.

“The accident was caused by the activities of sand scoopers, who filled up the water without the knowledge of the boat operators. The affected boat ran into the accumulated sand and fell off, throwing out all the passengers on board.”

Now this is what LASEMA has to say, according to PUNCH.

The General Manager of LASEMA, Michael Akindele, said the agency had demanded the boat manifest and was awaiting the response of the operating company.

Akindele said further investigations would be conducted to get to the cause of the incident. He advised boat operators and passengers to observe necessary safety measures such as the use of life jackets and regular checks of boat facilities before embarking on water transportation.

According to the NEMA spokesperson, most of the survivors, who sustained minor injuries, left for their houses soon after their rescue. He, however, could not confirm how many survivors were still in the hospital. The Managing Director, LASWA, Mrs. Abisola Kamson, in a statement, summoned an emergency meeting with all commercial boat operators in the state, which would hold on Tuesday.

The agency vowed to clamp down on boat operators who continue to
contravene the rules and regulations guiding their operations. Kamson said, “Despite efforts by the state government to enforce the safety standards on the waterways, some boat operators still flout the rules and regulations thereby putting the lives of innocent citizens at risk.

My question goes thus: Why would LASEMA avoid the issue of DREDGING only to replace with safety and precautionary measures?

I'm trying as much as possible to avoid wailing cos the family will get more of that from friends and relatives, but should we all fold our hands and accept this as God's will?

(I've attached a screenshot of his last Facebook post before his death).

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by temblor(m): 7:02pm On Jan 31, 2016
RIP

1 Like

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by poshestmina(f): 7:05pm On Jan 31, 2016
Rip cry

1 Like

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by Deejavuu(f): 7:06pm On Jan 31, 2016
Awwwww this is touching and painful cry cry cry

May his soul find eternal rest!

1 Like

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by taryour(f): 7:07pm On Jan 31, 2016
RIP. His Gone to a better place. God strengthen family, friends and loved ones.

1 Like

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by Firefire(m): 7:10pm On Jan 31, 2016
RIP, human life is now nothing again in Nigeria. embarassed

Nigeria why?

Why are you killing your giants?

Why are you wasting your future glory ?

Why, why, why ? cry cry

Acidosis, accept my condolence.

Hope to meet again at resurrection of the Saint.

1 Like

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by ZeroTolerance: 7:13pm On Jan 31, 2016
APC

1 Like

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by Cholls(m): 7:16pm On Jan 31, 2016
my brother is that Tarzan?
Re: Who Killed My Friend? by Aminat508(f): 7:19pm On Jan 31, 2016
RIP

1 Like

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by chriskosherbal(m): 7:22pm On Jan 31, 2016
I really dont know
Re: Who Killed My Friend? by TippyTop(m): 7:44pm On Jan 31, 2016
R.I.P

1 Like

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by Pidggin(f): 8:03pm On Jan 31, 2016
His post was deep.
Re: Who Killed My Friend? by GenOrumov: 8:18pm On Jan 31, 2016
Its like our minds are working in unison.

Nigeria is a crazy country. How can they do dredging works on water and they did not put a warning sign at the site for vessels playing that water route. Take another example - The government or its contractors uncover a manhole on an expressway and they will leave it uncovered without a sign to indicate there is a big hole in that location. Uncoming cars without prior knowledge of the hole will fall into it which will result into an accident and loss of lives.

I will be raising this issue at the emergency meeting called by the M.D of LASWA (Mrs. Kamson) on tuesday.
Re: Who Killed My Friend? by Beremx(f): 8:34pm On Jan 31, 2016
Sorry for your loss. RIP to the dead

1 Like

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by Acidosis(m): 8:34pm On Jan 31, 2016
GenOrumov:

Nigeria is a crazy country. How can they do dredging works on water and they did not put a warning sign at the site for vessels playing that water route. Take another example - The government or its contractors uncover a manhole on an expressway and they will leave it uncovered without a sign to indicate there is a big hole in that location. Uncoming cars without prior knowledge of the hole will fall into it which will result into an accident and loss of lives.

I will be raising this issue at the emergency meeting called by the M.D of LASWA (Mrs. Kamson) on tuesday.

God bless you sir

1 Like

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by Acidosis(m): 8:35pm On Jan 31, 2016
Thanks everyone.
Re: Who Killed My Friend? by gunuvi(m): 9:21pm On Jan 31, 2016
GenOrumov:

thanks and please let them know that almost all waterways in Badagry are being dredged everyday without any concern about future effect. Its a time bomb and the government giving these people licences for dredging are only interested in the money without putting the negative effects and impact into consideration.
Re: Who Killed My Friend? by GenOrumov: 9:38pm On Jan 31, 2016
gunuvi:

thanks and please let them know that almost all waterways in Badagry are being dredged everyday without any concern about future effect. Its a time bomb and the government giving these people licences for dredging are only interested in the money without putting the negative effects and impact into consideration.
I will raise your point at the meeting and will report back here with the resolutions.
Acidosis:

God bless you sir
Sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by GenOrumov: 11:21pm On Feb 06, 2016
@gunuvi & acidosis

Pardon me for just reporting back to you both. Been busy since Tuesday.

The meeting with the M.D of LASWA went as scheduled. Also in attendance was the Commissioner for Transport Lagos State, GM's of Lagos State Safety Commission and Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA).

It was good to hear that NIWA and LASWA have set their differences aside and have resolved to work together.

@ Acidosis, A minute silence was observed for those who lost their lives in that accident. The sand dredgers who caused the accident have been directed to stop their activities on that route. Also, a revised guideline which will guide water transportation in Lagos should be out in like 2 weeks. The aim of the guideline is ensure utmost safety on the waterways.

@ gunuvi, the Authorities were informed about the activities of sand dredgers in Badagry and they promised to look into the matter.
Re: Who Killed My Friend? by Acidosis(m): 1:33am On Feb 07, 2016
GenOrumov:
@gunuvi & acidosis

Pardon me for just reporting back to you both. Been busy since Tuesday.

The meeting with the M.D of LASWA went as scheduled. Also in attendance was the Commissioner for Transport Lagos State, GM's of Lagos State Safety Commission and Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA).

It was good to hear that NIWA and LASWA have set their differences aside and have resolved to work together.

@ Acidosis, A minute silence was observed for those who lost their lives in that accident. The sand dredgers who caused the accident have been directed to stop their activities on that route. Also, a revised guideline which will guide water transportation in Lagos should be out in like 2 weeks. The aim of the guideline is ensure utmost safety on the waterways.

@ gunuvi, the Authorities were informed about the activities of sand dredgers in Badagry and they promised to look into the matter.

Thanks so much for the efforts, in short everyone appreciates your concern. I'll relay the message to those concerned.

Thanks once again sir

2 Likes

Re: Who Killed My Friend? by Nobody: 3:28am On Feb 07, 2016
One big lesson i learnt here is to pray for any friend that uses DEATH as subject or HEADLINE in his or her post on any social media. Might even be in speech nd music all because he might have sense death. MANY CASES OF THIS HAS HAPPEN . undecided
Re: Who Killed My Friend? by Anikishaya(f): 12:15am On Feb 11, 2016
I miss you my love, Oke Godwin Orume. I'm still in the pains you left me

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See Photos Of The Letter Lai Mohammed Wrote 2 NBC 4 N13m Loan 2 Travel 2 China / 2 Million Proof To Show You That The Chibok Girls Kidnap And Rescue Is A Scam / FULANI Attack : Military Invasion Of Niger State Villages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.