Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,451 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Lagos Bars Okada From Highways - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Bars Okada From Highways (4949 Views)

Army Re-opens Borno Highways Three Years After Closure / Withdrawal Of Officers From Vips: Police Deploy Men To Airports, Highways To... / Police To Begin Stop And Search On Roads And Highways Nationwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by desgiezd(m): 11:09am On Jun 30, 2009
Lagos bars Okada from highways

MANSUR OLADUNJOYE

LAGOS State government has banned the operations of commercial motorcycle popularly called okada on all major highways in the state, saying the measure would check the menace of avoidable auto accidents.

Daily Champion reliably learnt that Governor Babatunde Fashola ordered his Special Adviser on Transportation, Kayode Opeifa to summon a parley with the two Okada unions and convey the decision because of the recent accident at Ikeja bus stop during which five people died and several other passengers hospitalised.

It was also gathered that the accident was as a result of a reckless motorcyclist, who dangerously overtook a molue bus whose driver in a bid to avoiding him ran into a ditch.

"The steps became necessary because of the need to control and regulate the okada operations so as to reduce the alarming rate of avoidable accidents and its attendant social implication," Opeifa said.

Opeifa who conveyed the state government’s displeasure over the flagrant abuse of traffic rules and regulations by okada riders in the state further noted the measures put in place by government to curtail the excesses of the motorcyclists.

"These include the outright banning of okada on all major highways, expressways and roads in the state, the restriction to one passenger, total compliance to driving against traffic and strict obedience to traffic lights amongst others," he said.

The government however urged the unions’ leaders in the state to warn its members not to compel government to take far reaching sanctions against the commercial motorcycle operators.

Responding, the unions’ leaders agreed to control and regulate the operations of motorcycles as a means of transportation in the state, alleging the incursion of non-Nigerians and non registered members into the operations as hindering the effective monitoring of its unions.

Opeifa, however, charged the union leaders to draw an action-plan to be discussed at the meeting of stakeholders to be convened without further delay.

http://www.champion-newspapers.com/news/article_11.htm

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by desgiezd(m): 11:10am On Jun 30, 2009
Whaoo!! This is long overdue.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by netotse(m): 11:17am On Jun 30, 2009
lol. . .
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by philip0906(m): 11:24am On Jun 30, 2009
okada again? shocked
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by puskin: 11:41am On Jun 30, 2009
Time will tell if this option is okay with LASG workers nd others alike.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by otokx(m): 11:43am On Jun 30, 2009
Its working in Port Harcourt.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Emperoh(m): 11:46am On Jun 30, 2009
Its long over-due!!!
An okada man caused an Accident that killed a family at Ilasa along Oshodi Expressway about 2 months ago.

Not for the unreliable transport system, they should be banned totally!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by kshow1(m): 11:48am On Jun 30, 2009
This is another avenue for the Nigeria Police to make money by arresting and collecting bribe from defaulters instead of enforcing the law.
My take is that they should be outrightly banned.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by desgiezd(m): 11:49am On Jun 30, 2009
otokx:

Its working in Port Harcourt.

Its also working in Abuja.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by dominique(f): 11:55am On Jun 30, 2009
lets hope this law will last this time, there was a time they were prohibited from operating after six o'clock in the evening. . .and that diddnt turn out too well
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by biola44: 12:05pm On Jun 30, 2009
yes
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by desgiezd(m): 12:10pm On Jun 30, 2009
Emperoh:

Its long over-due!!!
An okada man caused an Accident that killed a family at Ilasa along Oshodi Expressway about 2 months ago.

The accident shown in the picture below was caused by Okada on Saturday sending five people to their early graves.

Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by dapyjay: 12:13pm On Jun 30, 2009
fine. hope the state govt has emplaced alternative means to ease transportation problem in the metropolis
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by joobreel(m): 12:37pm On Jun 30, 2009
If not for the bad transportation sysytem in Lag, i wld have suggested outright ban
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by FerrariGP: 1:12pm On Jun 30, 2009
too many Aboki's on the road riding okadas, cool move by lagos govt.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Fhemmmy: 1:30pm On Jun 30, 2009
Another feather on fashola's wing.
Safety comes first and this will make people a lil more safe.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by dominique(f): 1:47pm On Jun 30, 2009
FerrariGP:

too many Aboki's on the road riding okadas, cool move by lagos govt.
abi o! and the way they ride. . .you'll think they have nine lives or somn'. i keep telling them kadan kadan but noooooo, they think they're invicible angry angry angry
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by MUZBO(m): 2:03pm On Jun 30, 2009
Yes, I used to think it was the Yoruba riders that were crazy until one Hausa hommie carried me. Didn't even know what to tell him but pray.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Joshcoli(m): 2:12pm On Jun 30, 2009
Okada should be banned completely, its another means people from the under world (armed robbers) deprive people of their belonging. I was a victim 2 week ago and they escaped via okaka
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by RichDad1(m): 2:13pm On Jun 30, 2009
What about reckless Danfo Drivers?well i bet this can never work in Victoria Island.mark my word.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Fhemmmy: 2:33pm On Jun 30, 2009
If they really wanna make it work, it will work.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by spikedcylinder: 2:44pm On Jun 30, 2009
MUZBO:

Yes, I used to think it was the Yoruba riders that were crazy until one Hausa hommie carried me.

In your eye, you've made a lot of sense.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by dominique(f): 2:46pm On Jun 30, 2009
spikedcylinder:

In your eye, you've made a lot of sense.

made sense in mine too cheesy
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by ozenyen(m): 3:10pm On Jun 30, 2009
This is no doubt a laudable step. My fear is how can we efforce this?
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by multebrain(m): 3:13pm On Jun 30, 2009
LET WAIT AND SEE MAY BE IT WILL WORK OR NOT
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by netotse(m): 3:15pm On Jun 30, 2009
Fhemmmy:

If they really wanna make it work, it will work.

actually they do, in the north the governors give out a lot of motorcycles so they are plenty and some of them find their way to lagos where they are used for okada and in some cases some of the riders/drivers are not literate not to talk of knowing the highway code!

plus i'm in the north now and its still the same thing. . . u're twice as likely to see a northerner that cant ride than any of the other various tribes
(hell i even see some 12year olds riding motorcycles here)
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by sley4life(m): 3:24pm On Jun 30, 2009
gd decision. lets see if the okada riders would obey
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Nezan(m): 4:23pm On Jun 30, 2009
Why not a complete ban? It is working in some Naija cities.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Saintb: 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2009
i joined nairaland recently, but i dont know how to post a topic.

i have interesting topic to share with you guy.

pls someone should kindly asist me
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:43pm On Jun 30, 2009
Why not train these okada riders to be more sensible and fully competently licensed in using their bikes?
Many people in Naija also drive like they are mad, we need standardized rules and regulations for the road.

I remember when I was in ABJ and seeing peeps running red lights just because their was no traffic at the adjacent intersection.
Worst of all no one wears seat belts and some are even intoxicated in Nigeria.
It is not just okada riders who lack safety on the roads.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Fhemmmy: 4:45pm On Jun 30, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

Why not train these okada riders to be more sensible and fully competently licensed in using their bikes?
Many people in Naija also drive like they are mad, we need standardized rules and regulations for the road.

I remember when I was in ABJ and seeing peeps running red lights just because their was no traffic at the adjacent intersection.
Worst of all no one wears seat belts and some are even intoxicated in Nigeria.
It is not just okada riders who lack safety on the roads.

Train them to ride on the Highway?
Would you allow an okada man to take you on highway 401, QEW or any highway for that matter.
that is even with the fact that everyone has right of way in Canada, not to talk of a place where the drive macho it all and can kill you and run away.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by okokomeji: 5:02pm On Jun 30, 2009
Long overdue! This reminds me of my friend that lost his life while on highway ridding on Okada.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

This Is How Uduaghan Spends Delta States Money / Abacha's Son Is Cpc's Kano Governorship Candidate. / Oh My God See How This Hausa Girl Described Osibanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.