Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,859 members, 7,821,003 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? (942 Views)

10 Most Developed State Capitals In Nigeria-opinion / What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? / Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by SCHOOLDROPOUT(m): 8:00pm On Feb 01, 2016
As much as I hate to sound cynical or skeptical, my optimism for the Nation's future is gradually waning. We have heard and seen so many mystifying revelations of corrupt practices in previous administrations. APC which the populace felt would be the Messiah is filled with quondam PDP members who degenerated the Country's economy. Nigerian politicians are so self-absorbed, myopic and have no considerations whatsoever for posterity.

The question is, realistically speaking, with the status quo, do you believe Nigeria can be like her developed counterparts(e.g Germany and USA) even in 1000 years to come? Can corruption really be extirpated in Nigeria? cos all I see in the present administration is mirage
What's your take on this?

cc lalasticlacla

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by excellencyabia1: 8:02pm On Feb 01, 2016
Time will tell
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by AkProsper(m): 8:03pm On Feb 01, 2016
Yes
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by Horlufemi(m): 8:03pm On Feb 01, 2016
Until Tribalism and Religiousness is gone from our lives as a nation development will never happen.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by SCHOOLDROPOUT(m): 8:08pm On Feb 01, 2016
Horlufemi:
Until Tribalism and Religiousness is gone from our lives as a nation development will never happen.

Do you think that is feasible? Be realistic
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by SCHOOLDROPOUT(m): 8:09pm On Feb 01, 2016
excellencyabia1:
Time will tell

Like 1000 years? Time will do nothing if we don't
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by excellencyabia1: 8:11pm On Feb 01, 2016
SCHOOLDROPOUT:

Like 1000 years? Time will do nothing if we don't
what is it you want to do.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by kossyablaze(m): 8:13pm On Feb 01, 2016
Yes!!!Only if we barnish or kill all the corrupt public office holders.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by uwantsome: 8:14pm On Feb 01, 2016
NO! WE WILL CONSTANTLY FIGHT EACH OTHER AND HINDER EACH OTHER PROGRESS BECOS WE ARE NOT ONE AND WILL NEVER BE ONE.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by chriskosherbal(m): 8:19pm On Feb 01, 2016
If we are ready to develop.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by SCHOOLDROPOUT(m): 8:31pm On Feb 01, 2016
uwantsome:
NO! WE WILL CONSTANTLY FIGHT EACH OTHER AND HINDER EACH OTHER PROGRESS BECOS WE ARE NOT ONE AND WILL NEVER BE ONE.

So, you're suggesting secession? Even at that, things won't likely change for good cos these people keep leveraging on the masses' credulity.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by Amplitron: 8:31pm On Feb 01, 2016
Well, developed nations have the following characteristics:
1- Strong sense of identity and shared values
2- High level of literacy which is the direct result of a collective thirst for knowledge and emphasis on same
3- The more problems an individual solves, the richer he becomes
4- Reliance on system and not on individuals
5- Etc

Can Nigeria have all that? Yes, but the only thing stopping us is our lack of thirst for knowledge i.e our willingness to accept vagueness.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by SCHOOLDROPOUT(m): 8:33pm On Feb 01, 2016
chriskosherbal:
If we are ready to develop.

Lol. Conception---planning---execution--sustenance.
We've not even gotten the first stage right. So, how do we develop? Will Nigerians remain impoverished eternally?
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by Sealeddeal(m): 8:36pm On Feb 01, 2016
Sorry OP. it will not be in this Century. From the look of things,Nigeria will be fit to be called a developed country somewhere around 2300AD. Which means,we will not be there.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by Vince77(m): 8:37pm On Feb 01, 2016
Horlufemi:
This is just the simple truth.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by Missy89(f): 8:38pm On Feb 01, 2016
NO
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by shizzy7(f): 8:38pm On Feb 01, 2016
It's possible in the near foreseeable future ....
All we need is the right President who will follow my laid down policies..

The first thing is for the president to dissolve/merge so many unnecessary authorities such as house of representatives, state house of assembly, Local government chairman e.t.c...We need their salaries.. (recurrent expenditure)

Secondly, Create a masterplan for every state in Nigeria which will be implemented...
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by SCHOOLDROPOUT(m): 8:40pm On Feb 01, 2016
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by SCHOOLDROPOUT(m): 8:40pm On Feb 01, 2016
Amplitron:
Well, developed nations have the following characteristics:
1- Strong sense of identity and shared values
2- High level of literacy which is the direct result of a collective thirst for knowledge and emphasis on same
3- The more problems an individual solves, the richer he becomes
4- Reliance on system and not on individuals
5- Etc

Can Nigeria have all that? Yes, but the only thing stopping us is our lack of thirst for knowledge i.e our willingness to accept vagueness.

With the level of religious dogmatism, do you think that's achievable?
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by SCHOOLDROPOUT(m): 8:45pm On Feb 01, 2016
Sealeddeal:
Sorry OP. it will not be in this Century. From the look of things,Nigeria will be fit to be called a developed country somewhere around 2300AD. Which means,we will not be there.
Hahahaha. Honestly, the truth is, I don't even see her becoming developed within that time frame
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by Amplitron: 9:01pm On Feb 01, 2016
SCHOOLDROPOUT:

With the level of religious dogmatism, do you think that's achievable?
As our thirst for knowledge increases, our willingness to accept vagueness will reduce and dogmatism in all facets will gradually melt away.
So, the short answer to your question is "yes". Time? I don't know.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by great664(m): 9:04pm On Feb 01, 2016
I am sorry Nigeria will never grow nor develop even after 3016 Untill:

We stop seeing each other as Hausa, Igbo, Ijaw or Yoruba but as a Nigerian

Christian stop seeing themselves as superior

Muslim stop feeling superior and playing victimization (as seun give them preferntial treatment on NL) and also Reform Islam and their teaching

Public offices no more Lucrative business venture but passion to serve (Scrap incentives and benefit)

Stop favouritism in all sector, Adamu, Seun and chika, kevwe, Effiong etc will use same JAMB cut-off mark for any University and also pay same Fees

Abolish Local Dialect (even if people won't accept it, just announce it) and introduce PIDGIN ENGLISH as our Lingua Franca

Leave this thrash of many political parties, just introduce only 2, maybe PDP or APC alone.

Remove immunity from office holders (they will surely close thier yansh after shiitingg

Introduce Federation (Imagine Youth as STATE Depending on their Aged Father as FG to provide meal and school fees [ salaries and Allocation] for his Grand Son, will any Father wish that on their generation) Let each state govt Carter for themselves, even LG self so we can hold them responsible..... Like someone pointed that he can't meet Buhari to tell him he us hungry but can go to his monarch palace to do same with confidence of the monarch not turning him around....

Pass a law that Hold political officials accountable for promise heaven on earth (I nor mean Buhari o, at least him nor be first nor will be last)

Lastly but most important Reform our Educational Sector, (Not the type of studying Agric Sci/Eng by drawing Hoe and Defining Agriculture, collect certificate, Come Lagos and go look for job in a bank and be buying Yam while fertile lands are wasting in their village)
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by LordAdam: 9:23pm On Feb 01, 2016
NO!

By the time we may be nearing anything that is remotely described as "developed," the meaning of developed would have changed.

6000 years of known human history and no black nation/kingdom/tribe/society has ever been as civilized or developed as its contemporaries in Europe, Arabia, the Mediterranean, or Asia.

Sub-Saharan Africa is cursed!!! There is a reason why all races emanated from Africa (the cradle of mankind) and never looked back. The land and the race are cursed!!!

If you have a different opinion, shut it. Do not quote me. The past agrees with me, the present agrees with me, the future will agree with me.

-Lord
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by Amplitron: 9:26pm On Feb 01, 2016
great664:
I am sorry Nigeria will never grow nor develop even after 3016 Untill:
We stop seeing each other as Hausa, Igbo, Ijaw or Yoruba but as a Nigerian
Christian stop seeing themselves as superior
Muslim stop feeling superior and playing victimization (as seun give them preferntial treatment on NL) and also Reform Islam and their teaching
Public offices no more Lucrative business venture but passion to serve (Scrap incentives and benefit)
Stop favouritism in all sector, Adamu, Seun and chika, kevwe, Effiong etc will use same JAMB cut-off mark for any University and also pay same Fees
Abolish Local Dialect (even if people won't accept it, just announce it) and introduce PIDGIN ENGLISH as our Lingua Franca
Leave this thrash of many political parties, just introduce only 2, maybe PDP or APC alone.
Remove immunity from office holders (they will surely close thier yansh after shiitingg
Introduce Federation (Imagine Youth as STATE Depending on their Aged Father as FG to provide meal and school fees [ salaries and Allocation] for his Grand Son, will any Father wish that on their generation) Let each state govt Carter for themselves, even LG self so we can hold them responsible..... Like someone pointed that he can't meet Buhari to tell him he us hungry but can go to his monarch palace to do same with confidence of the monarch not turning him around....
Pass a law that Hold political officials accountable for promise heaven on earth (I nor mean Buhari o, at least him nor be first nor will be last)
Lastly but most important Reform our Educational Sector, (Not the type of studying Agric Sci/Eng by drawing Hoe and Defining Agriculture, collect certificate, Come Lagos and go look for job in a bank and be buying Yam while fertile lands are wasting in their village)

Good points.
But who is the superman that will put those things in place? Well, you said we need to wait till 3016. Are you kidding me? 1000 years.lol
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by great664(m): 9:40pm On Feb 01, 2016
Amplitron:

Good points.
But who is the superman that will put those things in place? Well, you said we need to wait till 3016. Are you kidding me? 1000 years.lol

If only, if they will give the youth a chance and stop living flashy life and extravagant life style the Youth will do better but what do you expect from Dino Melaye constituency? A senator of FRN showcasing wealth like a yahoo boy, if u get the chance hope you will be entice to do same?

They are just our problem not PDP nor APC , the elites are just our fukcin problem
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Nation? by mikolo80: 5:55am On Feb 02, 2016
SCHOOLDROPOUT:
As much as I hate to sound cynical or skeptical, my optimism for the Nation's future is gradually waning. We have heard and seen so many mystifying revelations of corrupt practices in previous administrations. APC which the populace felt would be the Messiah is filled with quondam PDP members who degenerated the Country's economy. Nigerian politicians are so self-absorbed, myopic and have no considerations whatsoever for posterity.

The question is, realistically speaking, with the status quo, do you believe Nigeria can be like her developed counterparts(e.g Germany and USA) even in 1000 years to come? Can corruption really be extirpated in Nigeria? cos all I see in the present administration is mirage
What's your take on this?

cc lalasticlacla
yes we can even with tribalism (awolowo) simply developed his state (region) which forced competition and hence general development. 1 park chun hee alike is all we need

(1) (Reply)

₦airalanders Were Cowards! / Navies From The United States, Ghana, Togo And Nigeria Track Hijacked Tanker / Corruption American Bancorp Bank Writes To Buhari, Plans To Return Amaechi’s Loo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.