Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,553 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? (25325 Views)

Count On Us As Our Profile Speaks In Clearing Your Roro/container/vehicle In Nig / 5 Kinds Of Ladies You Meet At Lagos Mall / Dangote In Casual Outfit At Lagos Polo Club (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by eksammy(m): 1:56pm On Feb 03, 2016
Hello N'landers,

Please I need you guys to advise me cos Im having a feeling that some things may not be right.

My container with 3 cars (2009 Nissan, 2007 Xterra & 2004 Sienna) landed in Lagos on the 15th of January and till today Feb. 3, the Agent has not cleared it after i gave him 600k, 500k and 350k respectively for the 3 cars even a week before they landed.

Week 1: He claims the container was inspected by customs on the 18th (3 days after it birthed) and they asked for extra 70k for some clothes in the container...and this dragged.

Week 2: He said there were changes in policies causing the delay and the goods has entered 'ALERT' whatever that means. He now said later in the week that he has spent 158k and still trying to get full amount for 'dummorage'.

Week 3: Today is wednesday and he has not picked his calls this week.

Please can someone explain to me how this clearing thing works?

How long is it supposed to take to clear a container?

Are there recent legal changes affecting clearing at Lagos Port of maerskline?

What does it mean for goods to 'enter alert'?

How long does it take for containers to start accumulating Dummorhage and what is the daily rate?

Someone please help and advise me on what you think i should do.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Elosky20: 2:00pm On Feb 03, 2016
did u knw the person face to face.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by eksammy(m): 2:06pm On Feb 03, 2016
Elosky20:
did u knw the person face to face.

Yes i know him Elosky.

But this is the first time i am bringing in cars and so its my first business with him.

Its his brother that recommended him to me though I know him before.

why did you ask? i dont think he will elope!

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 2:08pm On Feb 03, 2016
Let me try to answer your questions...

This is the scenario... your agent underpaid customs duty... and by entering alert... it means... your agent got caught...

14 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by eksammy(m): 2:09pm On Feb 03, 2016
hey guys...a bro needs help!

Dont just view and leave...you can just assist and clarify me on one of those questions.

Thanks in advance mypeople!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Aminat508(f): 2:09pm On Feb 03, 2016
Hmmm

Lalasticlala FP pls, a bro needs help!

1 Like

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by eksammy(m): 2:12pm On Feb 03, 2016
iPopAlomo:

This is the scenario... your agent underpaid customs duty... and by entering alert... it means... your agent got caught...

Underpaid....Thats scary!!

Now that its on alert, what are the options or possible scenarios bro? Will they seize the cars?

1 Like

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Elosky20: 2:12pm On Feb 03, 2016
eksammy:

Yes i know him Elosky.

But this is the first time i am bringing in cars and so its my first business with him.

Its his brother that recommended him to me though I know him before.

why did you ask? i dont think he will elope!
just thought u are dealing with someone u just met online. bt since u knw him very well just contact the brother to knw his way about, and also pray very well because anything can lead to a delay in clearing ur goods because it seems it is a second hand vehicle u want to clear.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 2:13pm On Feb 03, 2016
There is no new policy anywhere... clearing involves the following process...

1. Pay your duty...
2. Examine the consignment for which duty is paid... to make sure the federal government wasn't cheated...
3. Pay Shipping and Terminal fees...
4. Release your consignment...

I can comfortably tell you... you underpaid your agent... he also tried to underpay the government... which leads to your present predicament...

13 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by correctyourself(m): 2:14pm On Feb 03, 2016
eksammy:

Hello N'landers,

Please I need you guys to advise me cos Im having a feeling that some things may not be right.

My container with 3 cars (2009 Nissan, 2007 Xterra & 2004 Sienna) landed in Lagos on the 15th of January and till today Feb. 3, the Agent has not cleared it after i gave him 600k, 500k and 350k respectively for the 3 cars even a week before they landed.

Week 1: He claims the container was inspected by customs on the 18th (3 days after it birthed) and they asked for extra 70k for some clothes in the container...and this dragged.

Week 2: He said there were changes in policies causing the delay and the goods has entered 'ALERT' whatever that means. He now said later in the week that he has spent 158k and still trying to get full amount for 'dummorage'.

Week 3: Today is wednesday and he has not picked his calls this week.

Please can someone explain to me how this clearing thing works?

How long is it supposed to take to clear a container?

Are there recent legal changes affecting clearing at Lagos Port of maerskline?

What does it mean for goods to 'enter alert'?

How long does it take for containers to start accumulating Dummorhage and what is the daily rate?

Someone please help and advise me on what you think i should do.

Call 070........... for assistance and follow up
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by eksammy(m): 2:17pm On Feb 03, 2016
iPopAlomo:
There is no new policy anywhere... clearing involves the following process...

1. Pay your duty...
2. Examine the consignment for which duty is paid... to make sure the federal government wasn't cheated...
3. Pay Shipping and Terminal fees...
4. Release your consignment...

I can comfortably tell you... you underpaid your agent... he also tried to underpay the government... which leads to your present predicament...

But I paid what he asked for moreover those were even used beat up cars not like they are brand new.

Now what do you think is the way out?
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 2:18pm On Feb 03, 2016
eksammy:

Underpaid....Thats scary!!

Now that its on alert, what are the options or possible scenarios bro? Will they seize the cars?

Seizures usually after three months... when you must have accumulated demurrage running into millions of naira... trust me I know... your demurrage at of now shouldn't e around 750k... because I'm sure you have a 40 ft container... So this is the solution... call your agent... tell him you'll offset the bill (usually costly...) to get your containers out or you'll be losing the whole consignment...

You mentioned you had clothes in your container... did you declare that on your bill lading... I can tell you didn't... personal effects are usually very sketchy...

5 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 2:20pm On Feb 03, 2016
eksammy:

But I paid what he asked for moreover those were even used beat up cars not like they are brand new.

Now what do you think is the way out?

That was what I was telling someone yesterday... it doesn't matter if the cars are beat up... damaged or broken down... they still command the same duty as a used car... inexperience killed your agent...

2 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by eksammy(m): 2:30pm On Feb 03, 2016
iPopAlomo:

That was what I was telling someone yesterday... it doesn't matter if the cars are beat up... damaged or broken down... they still command the same duty as a used car... inexperience killed your agent...

Yea I suggested the 'accidented car' thing but he said it wont be accepted as far as the chasis is not affected so i think he understands the rules.

you mean 600k and 500k is not good to clear 2009 and 2007 cars in Nigeria? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 2:33pm On Feb 03, 2016
you paid a total of #1.450 million...

2004 Sienna... duty is around 250-350k

2007 Xterra... duty should be around 550-700k

2009 Nissan... Duty should be around 800-950k

Then the miscellaneous items you have in the containers... from household items to electronics... duty is usually 200k flat...

Shipping company... 200k deposit for 40ft container... refundable... another 200-300k for terminal charges... and around 88k for daily demurrage...

Now calculate how much you paid again... some agents do it for far lower than this by under reducing the years of the vehicles and bribing the custom officer that's examining the container... but it's always two ways.... it's either you scale through... Or it comes back to bite you... ever wonder why you're travelling and the custom seize your vehicle saying you didn't pay correct duty... yeah... that's what happens...

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by eksammy(m): 2:33pm On Feb 03, 2016
iPopAlomo:

Seizures usually after three months... when you must have accumulated demurrage running into millions of naira... trust me I know... your demurrage at of now shouldn't e around 750k... because I'm sure you have a 40 ft container... So this is the solution... call your agent... tell him you'll offset the bill (usually costly...) to get your containers out or you'll be losing the whole consignment...

You mentioned you had clothes in your container... did you declare that on your bill lading... I can tell you didn't... personal effects are usually very sketchy...

Thank you @Ipop....we dint declare the clothes because i passed it as 'personal effects and even when he said they demanded 70k...we later paid.

750k Please what is the daily demurragerate for a 20feet and 40feet? or is it calculated weekly?
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 2:40pm On Feb 03, 2016
eksammy:

Thank you @Ipop....we dint declare the clothes because i passed it as 'personal effects and even when he said they demanded 70k...we later paid.

750k Please what is the daily demurragerate for a 20feet and 40feet? or is it calculated weekly?

Demurrage is calculated daily... usually 10-15k lower... for 20feet container...
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 2:45pm On Feb 03, 2016
eksammy:

Personal effect is duty free... but when you use a week to prove it actually belongs to the consignee with the customs... and you calculate 80k per day for a week demurrage... it's common sense to just get billed 200k duty...
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by sultaan(m): 4:47pm On Feb 03, 2016
monkey dey work baboon dey chop

Why would anyone ship anything to Nigeria now.

Its not worth it when the customs officers sitting at their desk make more money than you would in profit(if lucky)

A lesson many have learnt which is what caused the appeal for junk wrecked salvages.

3 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by agarawu23(m): 6:49pm On Feb 03, 2016
iPopAlomo:
you paid a total of #1.450 million...

2004 Sienna... duty is around 250-350k

2007 Xterra... duty should be around 550-700k

2009 Nissan... Duty should be around 800-950k

Then the miscellaneous items you have in the containers... from household items to electronics... duty is usually 200k flat...

Shipping company... 200k deposit for 40ft container... refundable... another 200-300k for terminal charges... and around 88k for daily demurrage...

Now calculate how much you paid again... some agents do it for far lower than this by under reducing the years of the vehicles and bribing the custom officer that's examining the container... but it's always two ways.... it's either you scale through... Or it comes back to bite you... ever wonder why you're travelling and the custom seize your vehicle saying you didn't pay correct duty... yeah... that's what happens...
never knew you are a guru in car importation.

The op knew what he did but he isn't confessing.
This are kind of people honest agent will give price to clear cars but they will be looking for the cheapest price not knowing this price are fixed (only expert agent in the line can reduce "little" money for u but not to the extent of clearing a 2009 Nissan 600k sad

I just pray debt won't hook the op cos the more his container stay with custom, the higher the demurrage.

But I won't blame him since he is importing cars for the first time.

4 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 8:28pm On Feb 03, 2016
agarawu23:
never new you are a guru in car importation.

The op knew what he did but he isn't confessing.
This are kind of people honest agent will give price to clear cars but they will be looking for the cheapest price not knowing this price are fixed (only expert agent in the line can reduce "little" money for u but not to the extent of clearing a 2009 Nissan 600k sad

I just pray debt won't hook the op cos the more his container stay with custom, the higher the demurrage.

But I won't blame him since he is importing cars for the first time.

Learnt everything importation from my father... Quit the job two years ago... The corruption in the system got to me... and I couldn't cope... Importers too weren't honest in declaring their cargoes so as to cut costs with the burden falling on the agent...

15 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by agarawu23(m): 8:31pm On Feb 03, 2016
iPopAlomo:

Learnt everything importation from my father... Quit the job two years ago... The corruption in the system got to me... and I couldn't cope... Importers too weren't honest in declaring their cargoes so as to cut costs with the burden falling on the agent...
eyah!

Lesson learnt.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 8:38pm On Feb 03, 2016
agarawu23:
eyah!

Lesson learnt.

Although it's a good job if you find a really good importer... but nothing beats importing for a very big company... it's steady and the prices are fixed... but individual customers... lol...

2 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Smellymouth: 6:02pm On Feb 05, 2016
sad
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by RichYoungNigga: 6:02pm On Feb 05, 2016
It's not advisable to import anything into Nigeria at this time of economic crisis.

I was quoted 1.2 million to ship and clear a 2006 Infiniti fx 35 while the car cost is $5,000 here in the USA.
The total cost will amount to 3 million.

While Naija used Infiniti fx 35 is 1.3 million naira.
And the exchange rate of dollar to naira is $1 to 310 at the moment.

Don't worry, you will get your car soon.

4 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Smellymouth: 6:03pm On Feb 05, 2016
iPopAlomo:

My thoughts exactly

1 Like

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by slimzypink(f): 6:03pm On Feb 05, 2016
yes your money has entered voicemail/... u know what voicemail is? sorry
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by donsharwama(m): 6:04pm On Feb 05, 2016
GBESE RE OOOO
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by timilehin007(m): 6:04pm On Feb 05, 2016
H
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Feb 05, 2016
Okay.
We don hear say you don buy car.
Next!
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Alaminz(m): 6:09pm On Feb 05, 2016
report him to the nearest station..

2 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by RichYoungNigga: 6:14pm On Feb 05, 2016
slimzypink:
yes your money has entered voicemail/... u know what voicemail is? sorry

Ain't you suppose to be in the kitchen ?

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Experience With A Nigerian SAMPA Boy In Guangzhou, China / If You Earn 2.5m Everymonth How Do You Invest? / Elon Musk Fires Twitter Executive, Vijaya Gadde Who Banned Trump On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.