Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,707 members, 7,827,585 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

The Fina Tale Of A Corper By T.I.A - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Fina Tale Of A Corper By T.I.A (716 Views)

NYSC Inspired Birthday Shower Of A Corper In Osun (Photos) / The Need To Register A Business Name/company As A Corper - By A Lawyer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Fina Tale Of A Corper By T.I.A by 1captain: 6:26pm On Feb 03, 2016
Am almost done with my National Youth Corp program in Nigeria, for those that have no idea what that means, the National Youth Corps program (NYSC) is a program designed for all Nigerian graduates home and abroad within the ages of 18- 30 to serve by accepting to be posted to different parts of the country to share what they have learnt in school, impact on the society which they find themselves and also learn from that particular society. Nice, ehn! Yeah it is and along with that you will be paid #19, 800 by the government at the end of every month. So am almost done but am really scared, the fear lives with me every passing day as the reality of the end of this program dawns on me. This fear also applies to over 100,000 Nigerian graduates in different parts of the country but the question you want to ask is, why are we afraid? For the majority of us, the answer is simple; we are scared, because we are unable to answer the question; what happens after NYSC? Let me narrate my experience to you. Some day ago, I met this fellow who had passed out of the program and on seeing him; he was looking so dejected and stressed out. So, I approached him and we talked, I asked about his job , he said he was still seeking for one , which was the obvious reason he was exhausted. Then he lamented about missing the #19,800 allowance. one thing is for sure, the Nigerian government never jokes with the corper’s allowance. It is paid promptly every month. So we talked a while and then he left to continue the job of Job seeking because it is a job itself and I stood here, with all kind of thoughts running through my head, with the question of, what happens after? Still “echoing “in my thoughts. Then again, I saw an old school mate of mine ( he was not serving because he was above 30) days after meeting the ex-corper, although he didn’t see me but I noticed he was carrying a file with lots of documents in it, and for a minute I paused on the road , because I knew that was certainly his CV, how do I know? You just know a job seeker when you see one, don’t you? Ok let’s say it was, so I paused and memories of our universities days came rushing back, and by the time I got to where I was going I was dejected and asked myself, which way for the Nigerian youth corper, whose parents or who independently struggled to go to the university and finished with a second class degree or a first class or worse a second class lower degree. To be frank, Most Nigerian youth in senior secondary school and tertiary institution always relish the moment they would also serve their fatherland ( that was they call they process) but when they get to the NYSC that’s when the true reality hits them. The program is a bloody waste of time! At least this is what most people say at the beginning until the last 100 days of the program when the fear of having to return home with no Job and NO #19, 800 which is essentially the most important for most corpers in the country. In the first 90 days, the fear is strong, and the question, a corper begins to ask, what next after Nysc? In the second 60 days
see full article on [www.1creekblog.com]

1 Share

Re: The Fina Tale Of A Corper By T.I.A by elmisti(m): 6:40pm On Feb 03, 2016
HM!

The whole write up got scary wen it got to the part of "or worse, a second class lower"..........Currently in service and av seen few underemployed and unemployed folks too....but then, its d reality....what I think is the best solution to this is deciding fast if one want to be a job seeker or an entrepreneur way b4 the 100days....

(1) (Reply)

Pop Celebration / All 16AI Former Otondos: Share Your PPA / NYSC Make History, Opens Second Camp For ‘stream II’ Corp Members in Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.