Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,303 members, 7,819,027 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt (2593 Views)

The Simpsons Predicted An Economic Crash Under Trump (US 22 Trillion In Debt) / Citizens To Contribute To Pay Off Malaysia’s $251bn National Debt. / Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by MrPresident1: 10:58pm On Feb 03, 2016
The United States federal debt has surpassed $19 trillion for the first time in history according to the Treasury Department. However, the real figure could exceed $65 trillion, according to a former US Comptroller General.

The official debt of $19 trillion represents almost $60,000 for every man, woman and child living in America today.
President Barack Obama took office with $10.8 trillion debt that has grown more than $8 trillion in seven years. And such a record tempo is likely to continue, according to the Congressional Budget Office, quoted by the Washington Times.

This equals an additional $70,000 in net federal borrowing for each of the 117,480,000 American households, according to Census Bureau estimates.

About $13.7 trillion makes up public debt, and the rest comes from government borrowing.

The US currently functions without a debt ceiling. Legislation in November suspended it through March 2017 so borrowing can continue without a limit until that time.

According to former Comptroller General of the United States [the director of the Government Accountability Office] David Walker, analysts understate the real extent of the US government’s financial commitments, which in reality exceed $65 trillion.

“You have to consider not just the public debt; you have to consider the debt we owe to the Social Security and Medicare trust funds, as well as the huge unfunded obligations for our social insurance programs. When you add all those numbers up, the number is over $65 trillion, rather than the lower numbers a lot of the economists want to talk about,” Walker, who served as the US’ top accountant in 1998-2008, told RT

https://www.rt.com/business/331115-us-federal-debt-rise/

US debt surpasses historical $20 trillion

The United States has now officially accumulated a $20 trillion debt. The ceiling was broken after the White House allowed the Treasury to borrow more money.

As of Tuesday, the American national debt stood at $20.16 trillion, according to the US Debt Clock website. This is almost $62,000 per person and over $167,000 per tax payer.

https://www.rt.com/business/403022-us-debt-historic-high/

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by MrPresident1: 10:58pm On Feb 03, 2016
The debt is not sustainable, analysts say it is even understated and that in reality it exceeds 65 trillion Dollars.

These are mind boggling sums of money, I shudder to convert them to Naira.

Lalasticlala, what do you think?

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Idrismusty97(m): 11:17pm On Feb 03, 2016
Good news.

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by LordAdam: 11:21pm On Feb 03, 2016
The US debt profile is a ticking time bomb. Even the UK has a debt profile that is above $10t.

But the economy sees the effect. The problem is that some people will see that and think there is nothing wrong with Buhari borrowing a lotbecause US has more debt than it can pay. Why must we be like US, UK and not China, Japan, the UAE, Norway, or Saudi Arabia who are the ones loaning the US?

We see fire and run into it with reckless abandon. OBJ gave us a clean slate. YarAdua and GEJ stained the slate again, now PMB wants to make sure that slate can never be clean again. And what do Nigerians get? Dishonesty, lies, fake promises, and inflated figures?

-Lord

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by HtwoOw: 11:29pm On Feb 03, 2016
Who dey borrow them money?

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Nobody: 11:37pm On Feb 03, 2016
Obama and d Rothschild agenda... u will all fail.. Power belongs to God, and he has given authority to his son Jesus christ.. so no matter wat u do, all knees must bow to him..
How can America owe ds much... nna how dem dey borrow am??

4 Likes

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by MrPresident1: 8:28am On Feb 04, 2016
HtwoOw:
This is a very interesting question. I hear Lalasticlala is an economist, maybe he can help us with the answer wink
Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by vedaxcool(m): 10:05am On Feb 04, 2016
HtwoOw:

Normally China, they purchase their treasury bills. The US is addicted to borrowing, borrowing makes them great I guess undecided

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Omololu007(m): 11:22pm On Feb 04, 2016
crixtex:
Obama and d Rothschild agenda... u will all fail.. Power belongs to God, and he has given authority to his son Jesus christ.. so no matter wat u do, all knees must bow to him..
How can America owe ds much... nna how dem dey borrow am??
fool!sh post

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by HtwoOw: 6:10am On Feb 05, 2016
MrPresident1:

This is a very interesting question. I hear Lalasticlala is an economist, maybe he can help us with the answer wink
lala na mod

He nor fit helep
You
Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by phemmie06(m): 7:52am On Feb 05, 2016
Borrowing is not a crime but it becomes a crime when you borrow wrongly. Borrowing in Nigeria is just as if borrowing to buy beer and pepper soup because the impact has never been felt.
Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by NairaMinted: 9:41am On Feb 05, 2016
The Ponzi scheme that the bankers set up on Jekyll Island back in 1913 keeping America in debt perpetually.

4 Likes

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Amberon: 12:08pm On Feb 05, 2016
They better pay me my money o
Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Nobody: 12:52pm On Feb 05, 2016
This news is giving me e.rection. The collapse of the Soviet Union will be a childsplay compared to what awaits America. More debts to America! grin

Missy89 - Are u in America or Britain? I am asking because there's a vacant room in my family's house in Ijebu grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Missy89(f): 4:51pm On Feb 05, 2016
NairaMinted:
The Ponzi scheme that the bankers set up on Jekyll Island back in 1913 keeping America in debt perpetually.

Name two countries that is not practicing the fractional reserve system.

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Missy89(f): 4:58pm On Feb 05, 2016
Zoharariel:
This news is giving me e.rection. The collapse of the Soviet Union will be a childsplay compared to what awaits America. More debts to America! grin

Missy89 - Are u in America or Britain? I am asking because there's a vacant room in my family's house in Ijebu grin

Do you have a clear understanding of how the debt system works?

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 05, 2016
Missy89:

Do you have a clear understanding of how the debt system works?
No, I don't. Please tell me.
Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Missy89(f): 6:18pm On Feb 05, 2016
Zoharariel:

Why should I? Are you going to pay me for the tutorial?

Besides, I still need that room in Ijebu wink

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by pulsa(m): 11:05pm On Feb 07, 2016
America is a ticking time bomb.

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by MrPresident1: 10:24pm On Sep 12, 2017
US debt surpasses historical $20 trillion

The United States has now officially accumulated a $20 trillion debt. The ceiling was broken after the White House allowed the Treasury to borrow more money.

As of Tuesday, the American national debt stood at $20.16 trillion, according to the US Debt Clock website. This is almost $62,000 per person and over $167,000 per tax payer.

https://www.rt.com/business/403022-us-debt-historic-high/
Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by APCsupporter: 4:31pm On Sep 14, 2017
LordAdam:
The US debt profile is a ticking time bomb. Even the UK has a debt profile that is above $10t.

But the economy sees the effect. The problem is that some people will see that and think there is nothing wrong with Buhari borrowing a lotbecause US has more debt than it can pay. Why must we be like US, UK and not China, Japan, the UAE, Norway, or Saudi Arabia who are the ones loaning the US?

We see fire and run into it with reckless abandon. OBJ gave us a clean slate. YarAdua and GEJ stained the slate again, now PMB wants to make sure that slate can never be clean again. And what do Nigerians get? Dishonesty, lies, fake promises, and inflated figures?

-Lord

shut up if you have nothing to say. hey that had to borrow to pay salaries months before he was booted out? abeg shift

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by hanassholesolo: 5:37pm On Sep 14, 2017
Lol, that means the moment you are born in US, you automatically owe $62,000 in debt.

United State of Debt. I hail.

3 Likes

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Omololu007(m): 12:49am On Sep 15, 2017
grin
hanassholesolo:
Lol, that means the moment you are born in US, you automatically owe $62,000 in debt.

United State of Debt. I hail.
grin
Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Mazeltovscotty(m): 4:39pm On Sep 16, 2017
It is just too late now. If you want to save america, slash her budget military.
Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by romme2u: 1:34am On Sep 17, 2017
Missy89:

Why should I? Are you going to pay me for the tutorial?

Besides, I still need that room in Ijebu wink

Zoharariel:

angry

something that she should be explaining inside the oza room in Ijebu with illustrations

1 Like 1 Share

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by panafrican(m): 2:08am On Sep 17, 2017
Debt mainly to itself, not like our crooked African governments which sold us to the International Monetary Fund ,to the World Bank and to European banks.
Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 17, 2017
So what??

As long as most of it is national debt (not owed to foreign creditors, it can be simply remitted, already happened in the past) and as long as the $ remains the world's reserve currency, Americans will not be worried.

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Appleyard(m): 10:17pm On Sep 18, 2017
Missy89:

Name two countries that is not practicing the fractional reserve system.

My Lady, do you still believe in the horsesh*t that the American government owe the money to itself? wink You were once an apostle of such blindman's narrative... wink
Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Appleyard(m): 10:20pm On Sep 18, 2017
Mazeltovscotty:
It is just too late now. If you want to save america, slash her budget military.
But you know that will never be possible...
Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Mazeltovscotty(m): 11:59pm On Sep 18, 2017
Appleyard:

yes i do. America keep spending big in preparation for war that will never happen

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Mazeltovscotty(m): 11:59pm On Sep 18, 2017
Appleyard:

yes i do. America keep spending big in preparation for imaginary war that will never happen

1 Like

Re: America Now Owes 19 Trillion Dollars In Debt by Appleyard(m): 12:31am On Sep 21, 2017
Mazeltovscotty:
yes i do. America keep spending big in preparation for imaginary war that will never happen

Yeah..You are right. The way they spend at times makes me wonder if they are going to make war against the whole world..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Nigeria A Banana Republic? / Busted: Kiev Mps Try To Fool US Senator With ‘proof’ Of Russian Tanks In Ukraine / Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.