Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt (34310 Views)

House Of Hamas Leader, Yahya Sinwar Surrounded By Isreali Forces / US Military Disabled Scores Of Planes Before Leaving Kabul Airport (Video Photo) / Fatou Toufah Jallow: I Was Raped By Yahya Jammeh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by maximunimpact(m): 10:37am On May 11, 2018
Gambia is selling several planes and a fleet of luxury cars bought by former president Yahya Jammeh as it seeks to reduce debt contracted during the former leader’s decades-long rule.

Jammeh, who seized power in a 1994 coup, fled Gambia early last year as West African neighbours were poised for military intervention to topple him after he refused to step down following an election loss to current President Adama Barrow.

While most of his people struggled in poverty under one of West Africa’s most oppressive regimes, Jammeh acquired vast wealth.

Much of the wealth he packed into planes and carried with him into exile in Equatorial Guinea.

However, a fleet of vehicles, including several Rolls-Royces with Jammeh’s name embroidered in their red leather headrests, were left behind on the tarmac.

“The fleet of expensive vehicles at State House and the three planes bought by former president Yahya Jammeh have been put on sale,” Finance Minister Amadou Sanneh told the media.

“My ministry will soon start publicising the sales.”

The International Monetary Fund warned Gambia on Wednesday against any new borrowing after its debt stock reached 130 per cent of gross domestic product at the end of last year.

Most of that debt was contracted under Jammeh, either through borrowing or the government’s taking on the liabilities of state-owned enterprises.

“Let me be very clear … it may even go higher because we have not opened the books of the state-owned enterprises,” said Jaroslaw Wieczorek.

Since taking office and discovering government coffers were largely empty, Barrow’s administration has worked to disentangle Gambia’s state finances from Jammeh’s sprawling personal business empire.

Sanneh said last year that around 100 million dollars – more than a third of the government’s annual budget – had been siphoned from state firms.

Barrow set up a commission that visited Jammeh’s many properties to establish an inventory of his possessions with the aim of recovering looted assets.

One estate boasts a mosque, jungle warfare training camp and a vast private safari park.

Investigators have also sought to establish what wealth Jammeh may have stashed abroad.

The process has faced opposition from Jammeh’s political party and supporters, who have accused Barrow’s government of carrying out a witchhunt against the ex-president.

(Reuters/NAN)

https://www.financialwatchngr.com/gambia-sells-ex-presidents-luxury-cars-planes-to-pay-off-debt/

10 Likes

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by ebuk4real(m): 10:46am On May 11, 2018
While I detest the insatiable greed of most African (rogues) leaders, I won't and will never spare the whites for being the conduit pipe through which our rogues (leaders) loot us dry.

What we must never lose sight of is this: when (loot) corruption is mentioned, the whites are the criminal consultants that partner with our bloody leaders, sorry rogues...

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by chuks34(m): 1:18pm On May 11, 2018
Buhari hardship don reach Gambia grin

3 Likes

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by waterhouse071(m): 1:19pm On May 11, 2018
Africa is cursed with wicked leaders.
Imagine a broke country borrowing money to finance d luxurious life of a useless president.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by sigiyaya(m): 1:19pm On May 11, 2018
Where is OBO i think chioma will be needing Assurance 2 shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by gabazin080(m): 1:19pm On May 11, 2018
make buhari no sell cars, make he sell this country share the money make everybody find their way

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by PassingShot(m): 1:20pm On May 11, 2018
Good development there

2 Likes

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by ishowdotgmail(m): 1:20pm On May 11, 2018
Is been long I heard of him..... So power drunk that time....

Life is vanity... Don't take it too hard

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by naijapage(f): 1:20pm On May 11, 2018
grin grin

SEE PICTURES OF THE CARS HERE : https://aprokogirl.com/6129/yahya-jammeh-cars/

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by gabazin080(m): 1:20pm On May 11, 2018
To those who smoke weed
Why always make the the sound "ussshhhhhhh"..when you sip each time..
Is it that weed has pepper like Yoruba ste

2 Likes

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by SamuelAnyawu(m): 1:20pm On May 11, 2018
I'm Interested
Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by Mutemenot(m): 1:20pm On May 11, 2018
Good move. Buhari once said such but when be won the election he became dumb

3 Likes

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by GrammarNazi1(m): 1:21pm On May 11, 2018
ebuk4real:
While I detest the insatiable greed of most African (rogues) leaders, I won't and will never spear the whites for been the conduit pipe through which our rogues (leaders) loot us dry.

What we must never lose sight of it: when (loot) corruption is mentioned, the whites are the criminal consultants that partner with our bloody leaders, sorry rogues...
...spare...
...being...

13 Likes

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by CLASSMAN: 1:21pm On May 11, 2018
I hope say no b the plane sabi go go biy
Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by ipobarecriminals: 1:21pm On May 11, 2018
cool very good .When will our own ancestor go sell all the presidential plane.Nah to dey hike petroleum/cut grass d3m sabi there
Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by sowore2019: 1:21pm On May 11, 2018
Good one!
Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by Coded7: 1:22pm On May 11, 2018
Hmmmmmmmm watching in 3D
Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by Shalomc(f): 1:22pm On May 11, 2018
ipobarecriminals:
cool very good .When will our own ancestor go sell all the presidential plane.Nah to dey hike petroleum/cut grass d3m sabi there
Lol
Hunger is good on you
Cc
Lzaa immhotep pointzerom iceberg3 madridguy firefire

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by dynamicjtltd(m): 1:22pm On May 11, 2018
Why?

See signature for Now Selling Homes in Abuja...
Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by victorazyvictor(m): 1:22pm On May 11, 2018
I'm ready to sell off brooms to rescue my party that has been tamed by Jubril.

1 Like

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by Assassin101: 1:23pm On May 11, 2018
this ought to be done in Nigeria too
Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by gurunlocker: 1:24pm On May 11, 2018
100 million dollars is their budget?

That's less than what a Nigeria politician will embezzle within 1 year.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by Nairalandmentor(m): 1:24pm On May 11, 2018
LWKMD....African countries na wa o

Check my signature if you need a clean website design without advanced payment.
Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by HoodBillionaire: 1:25pm On May 11, 2018
amount of zillions wasted .siphoned
embezzled
vanished
from 1960 till date in nigeria
cannot be recovered
God cursed africa

100m $
why must black man always think of material things

1 Like

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by medexico(m): 1:27pm On May 11, 2018
If they do this in Nigeria ehn, we go develop pass US in 10 years

2 Likes

Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by ipobarecriminals: 1:28pm On May 11, 2018
wink grin
Shalomc:

Lol
Hunger is good on you
Cc
grin
Shalomc:

Lol
Hunger is good on you
Cc
me hungry? I can feed u free for 3 months, not bragging. .I won't let/allow yweet here in lekki to stone me.Abi, how do I campaign for one baba wey Kal yweet lazy? ko possible. I have wife/children to look afta biko
Re: Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt by LazyNairalander(m): 1:28pm On May 11, 2018
And some people will say they are the giants of Africa.

Anyway check my signature and thank me later.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

North Korea Has 60 Nuclear Weapons & Could Launch Smallpox On Missile - US Army / Top 10 People Whose Names Gave Them Problems / Netanyahu Gives Condition For Ceasefire In Gaza After 11,000 Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.