Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,443 members, 7,819,639 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements (24927 Views)

DSS Crackdown: Judgements That Landed Judges In Trouble / Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment / APC ‘influencing’ Tribunal Judgements Is Worse Than Corruption, Fayose Counsels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by LordVarys: 1:52am On Feb 04, 2016
CJN on Court Of Appeal Conflicting judgements three weeks ago, any keen legal observer would have deduced the Supreme Court intended to correct these errors when the cases came to them. The Supreme Court is not interested in what's right or wrong but in interpreting the law based on the facts before it. The amended electoral act places the burden of proof squarely on the petitioner and not the respondents or INEC.
Kudos to the learned justices.

The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmud Mohammed, is not happy at alleged inconsistent decisions of the nation’s courts especially on election petitions.

The CJN is said to have taken note of   public complaints about contradicting decisions, particularly by divisions of the Court of Appeal, and fears the situation is capable of eroding public confidence in the Judiciary.

The CJN suggested to the Appeal Court to create “an internal law report for Justices to access either electronically or in print in order to reduce the avenue for conflict in its jurisprudence.”

He also drew the attention of Justices of the Court of Appeal to the suggestion made in 2008 by a retired Supreme Court Justice,  Niki Tobi, to the effect that “immediately a decision is given in one division, it should be sent to the other divisions without delay.”

Justice Mohammed spoke in Abuja last week at 2015 edition of the Annual Conference of the Court of Appeal.

The CJN argued that judges, being guardians of the law, “must not only be just, but also convey certainty in our justness.”

His words: “It bears reminding that the overriding objective of every legal system in the world is to do justice. However, this cannot be achieved where there is confusion as to the state of the law as pronounced by the court.

“As your lordships will agree, where an aggrieved person perceives, whether rightly or wrongly, that they will not receive justice, such a situation can indeed bode ill for the community in which he lives and can lead to acrimony and anarchy.

“We must not ignore the negative perception that is occasioned by conflicting judgments delivered at various divisions of the Court of Appeal.

“Such judicial contradictions only result in untold hardships to litigants in their quest for justice. They further cast your lordships in an unfavourable light and leave the judiciary at the mercy of inuendos, crass publications and editorials.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/cjn-unhappy-over-conflicting-decisions-by-appeal-court-divisions/

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by Firefire(m): 2:46am On Feb 04, 2016
Wonderful!

Nigeria on the path of full democracy.

Those thinking of hijacking Nigeria using the court of law should have a rethink. (Nigeria cannot allow any Miscarriage of Justice - "errors of impunity" )

APC leadership, take note.

Cc: Lalasticlala

94 Likes 7 Shares

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by HungerBAD: 2:55am On Feb 04, 2016
Nigeria is working.

1 Like

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by dokiOloye(m): 2:59am On Feb 04, 2016
Bad market for d tyrant.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by chriskosherbal(m): 3:02am On Feb 04, 2016
Evidence!!!!!
Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by gunuvi(m): 3:24am On Feb 04, 2016
God bless the CJN.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by Firefire(m): 3:53am On Feb 04, 2016
HungerBAD:
Nigeria is working.

cheesy cheesy cheesy Are you sure ?

Bad market for APC.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by omogin(f): 4:46am On Feb 04, 2016
God bless these Justices. They are saving Nigeria from this evil called APC

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by ORACLE1975(m): 5:46am On Feb 04, 2016
Next
Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by jazinogold(m): 5:53am On Feb 04, 2016
nice!
Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by Nobody: 6:15am On Feb 04, 2016
omogin:
God bless these Justices. They are saving Nigeria from this evil called APC
Its so amazing that Nigerians like you think so short sighted,, who told you that the APC was bothered about winning atvall cost? Do you think Buhari has time to be involved in election issues? Or you think he will run Nigeria like the way PDP intended to destroy it..... I have an experience about the Abia Elections and am ashamed if they call that elections at all... An election that the PDP rigged shamelessly, where corpers were either handed huge sums of money to rig or they obes that didnt coperate were kidnapped through out the election period... All many of you do is to sit down un a comfy sofa and type anything that you think of...

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by dustmalik: 6:19am On Feb 04, 2016
Justdulla:
Its so amazing that Nigerians like you think so short sighted,, who told you that the APC was bothered about winning atvall cost? Do you think Buhari has time to be involved in election issues? Or you think he will run Nigeria like the way PDP intended to destroy it..... I have an experience about the Abia Elections and am ashamed if they call that elections at all... An election that the PDP rigged shamelessly, where corpers were either handed huge sums of money to rig or they obes that didnt coperate were kidnapped through out the election period... All many of you do is to sit down un a comfy sofa and type anything that you think of...
Don't mind the wailing fools.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by frankyychiji(f): 6:20am On Feb 04, 2016
Justdulla:
Wow wow wow wow....before you continue, i was actively involved in the elections that brought Ambode to power, i bet you know its too early to open a can of worms on NL.

68 Likes 9 Shares

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by Caseless: 6:24am On Feb 04, 2016
Firefire:
Wonderful!

Nigeria on the path of full democracy.

Those thinking of hijacking Nigeria using the court of law should have a rethink. (Nigeria cannot allow any Miscarriage of Justice - "errors of impunity" )

APC leadership, take note.

Cc: Lalasticlala
BUHARI failed to turn any judgment in favor of his party, right?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by LordVarys: 6:28am On Feb 04, 2016
Caseless:
BUHARI failed to turn any judgmenin favor of his party, right?
This has nothing to do with Buhari, the Supreme Court has always been very independent even during Abacha's tenure with the famous Uwais heading then, the Offshore-Onshore dichotomy and the Lagos LG funds cases when the Court ruled against OBJ's administration, the narrow 4-3 win by Yar'Adua in his election petition which took the intervention of former heads of state

9 Likes

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by samtexooo: 6:29am On Feb 04, 2016
Justdulla:
old boy no cry ooooo.... Why u dey carry APC matter like say na personal matter

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by frankyychiji(f): 6:33am On Feb 04, 2016
Caseless:
BUHARI failed to turn any judgemenin favor of his party, right?
Lolzzz... See frustration cheesy cheesy

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by Caseless: 6:44am On Feb 04, 2016
frankyychiji:
Lolzzz... See frustration cheesy cheesy
take that shiit off.
Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by Caseless: 6:49am On Feb 04, 2016
LordVarys:

This has nothing to do with Buhari, the Supreme Court has always been very independent even during Abacha's tenure with the famous Uwais heading then, the Offshore-Onshore dichotomy and the Lagos LG funds cases when the Court ruled against OBJ's administration, the narrow 4-3 win by Yar'Adua in his election petition which took the intervention of former heads of state
I'm happy you cited this . That's a rape of justice and the major reason why I don't believe in them. Even yaradua himself came out attest to the flaws associated with the election that brought him into office, but you know what supreme court judgement was based on. They abused their independence and supremacy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by frankyychiji(f): 6:51am On Feb 04, 2016
Caseless:
take that shiit off.
Calm down before you wreck yourself cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by Caseless: 6:53am On Feb 04, 2016
frankyychiji:
Calm down before you wreck yourself cheesy cheesy
*in 2pac's voice* I ain't mad at them or you, I'm mad at the system.

1 Like

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by LordVarys: 6:57am On Feb 04, 2016
Caseless:
I'm happy you cited this . That's a rape of justice and the major reason why I don't believe in them. Even yaradua himself came out attest to the flaws associated with the election that brought him into office, but you know what supreme court judgement was based on. They abused their independence and supremacy.
As per the Yar'Adua case, the Court's ruling was based on upholding the national interest, not legal facts and the judges were under a lot of pressure.
But as for these judgements on the 3 states, while I concur that the elections in the states were substantially flawed, the petitioners Dakuku,Otti, and Umana failed to prove their cases beyond card reader usage which the Lagos Appeals Court already ruled is unknown to the constitution.
The amended 2014 electoral act makes it almost impossible to prove beyond reasonable doubt as you must have valid witnesses and evidence from every contested PU. The Supreme Court looked only at the facts and not the ethics.
I liked the judgements because they've at least prevented Nigeria from sliding into a one party state. If we want genuine electoral reform, the National Assembly has to be key especially reviewing the electoral act. Sadly NASS is full of clowns.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by seunajia: 6:58am On Feb 04, 2016
frankyychiji:
Wow wow wow wow....before you continue, i was actively involved in the elections that brought Ambode to power, i bet you know its too early to open a can of worms on NL.

You guys don't just see beyond the parties. And there's this obvious apathy about outcomes and precedents in so far APC is involved. Unfortunately, APC is not involved in Abia that much. The locals allege a miscarriage of justice which is not good for OUR country.

The unfortunate logic on this thread has been, "if APC doesn't wins then all is fine". APC has not lost, it is our citizens who feel justice was not done by judgements of the justices that lost.

APC must not win it all, I personally do not even like the idea of a single party state.

Finally, if you have any case against Ambode or whoever, feel free to challenge him in court! Stop muddling issue up.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by frankyychiji(f): 7:06am On Feb 04, 2016
Caseless:
*in 2pac's voice* I ain't mad at them or you, I'm mad at the system.
But who is the system? You! cheesy

The supreme came to right the wrongs of the tribunal and appellate courts whose judgments on similar matters varied from location to location in most cases abandoning precedents already set elsewhere by it in similar matters.

Buhari is getting smart little by little and knows that any further brazen interference with electoral process at this point would futher polarise the country than it has already and he knows he would kiss the peace in the south goodbye if he pushes ND into a senseless war with the FG!

2 Likes

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by Burger01(m): 7:17am On Feb 04, 2016
God bless the good and upright judges.

God curse and rain thunder on the bought, corrupt, and yam-eating judges in threefold .. Amenangry

1 Like

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by brunofarad(m): 7:17am On Feb 04, 2016
I see hope
Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by alrahmanonline(m): 7:17am On Feb 04, 2016
seunajia:

You guys don't just see beyond the parties. And there's this obvious apathy about outcomes and precedents in so far APC is involved. Unfortunately, APC is not involved in Abia that much. The locals allege a miscarriage of justice which is not good for OUR country.

The unfortunate logic on this thread has been, "if APC doesn't wins then all is fine". APC has not lost, it is our citizens who feel justice was not done by judgements of the justices that lost.

APC must not win it all, I personally do not even like the idea of a single party state.

Finally, if you have any case against Ambode or whoever, feel free to challenge it in court! Stop muddling issue up.
Bro, help me tell them ooo, they forgot that even their own state party is part of this, Some people will just wake up from from a terrible nightmare, and if they ask what happen he will say APC masquerade is pursuing them... Lol

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by frankyychiji(f): 7:20am On Feb 04, 2016
seunajia:

Finally, if you have any case against Ambode or whoever, feel free to challenge it in court! Stop muddling issue up.
Lolzz...@taking Ambode to court cheesy

You sound very pained, I hope your apathy for PDP consumes you wholly! undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by datola: 7:21am On Feb 04, 2016
Interpreting the law
Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by bonechamberlain(m): 7:21am On Feb 04, 2016
the appeal courts judges and tribunal judges should be probed.

2 Likes

Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by Nobody: 7:24am On Feb 04, 2016
owk sai baba
Re: This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements by pastormellanby: 7:25am On Feb 04, 2016
it is to my displeasure the way our people do think sometimes, someone that has never been to east talkless of Abia will start saying rubbish abusing the ruling party , even though you are clueless about what transpire do you think the president has the time for clueless people who will only come here and start saying rubbish, you better pray for your own success and leave them out of this, find something worthwhile to do.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Compendium Of Buhari' S Cluelessness: Femi Aribisala / APC Criticises Aregbesola’s Visit To Fayose / Biafra: Reno Omokri Uses P-square Fight To Make Case Against Secessionist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.