Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

With Velvet Gloves. - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / With Velvet Gloves. (27083 Views)

The Velvet Tamarind 1 (a Short Story) / The Velvet Tamarind 1 (a Short Story) / Blue Velvet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 12:03pm On Aug 10, 2017
Calistus woke up suddenly. It was two days since Mr Mogu almost got himself into the EFCC's net, moreover, it was the second sitting as regards Ebuka's case. He sat up and thought about his elder brother.
He never truly hated Ebuka, he just had an intense dislike of him. This was in no small part due to his mother's overwhelming preference for his elder brother. Even when his brother abandoned the family's business in order to teach, she congratulated him, much to the disdain of Calistus who saw his plan to start his own business destroyed by his mother two years prior to Ebuka's move. The last straw was obviously the will. He could stand anything the Mum threw at him if his stake in the properties she had was the highest. Rather, it was Ebuka who had the highest stake.
That was so unforgivable.

1 Like

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Feyikemi12(f): 9:15pm On Aug 10, 2017
I love this story but the update is slow that I'm forgetting the plot rapmike please do something
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 10:30am On Aug 11, 2017
Calistus woke up suddenly. It was two days since Mr Mogu almost got himself into the EFCC's net, moreover, it was the second sitting as regards Ebuka's case. He sat up and thought about his elder brother.
He never truly hated Ebuka, he just had an intense dislike of him. This was in no small part due to his mother's overwhelming preference for his elder brother. Even when his brother abandoned the family's business in order to teach, she congratulated him, much to the disdain of Calistus who saw his plan to start his own business destroyed by his mother two years prior to Ebuka's move. The last straw was obviously the will. He could stand anything the Mum threw at him if his stake in the properties she had was the highest. Rather, it was Ebuka who had the highest stake.
That was so unforgivable.

Now that she is dead, he can eliminate the last obstacle to his aim - his brother.
Coming out of his room, he noticed Adaobi pacing around the living room with impatience. He pitied her, the poor thing trying to avert the inevitable. If only.....
Calistus, please be fast. I don't want to be late for the court case.
Is it you wedding?
Its not funny, Calistus. We can't......
Relax, sister. We will get there on time.
Quickly, they rushed out of the house, issuing orders to their house helps while they entered the car and zoomed off.

The court was looking more gloomy than the first time Ebuka was brought to court. The judge on seat was a different one, who carried a particular stern face.
Where is the other judge? Ada asked Calistus.
I heard that he was murdered two days ago. Assassination.
Chai! And I had a good feeling about that one.
Ada, please be......
The prosecution lawyer, who had just been motioned to start the proceeding, stood up.
Mr Ebuka, what is your relationship with your mother?

1 Like

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 1:55am On Aug 12, 2017
It was cordial.
How cordial was it? Did she treat all of you fairly?
No. Adaobi was her favourite.
Who is Adaobi?
Thats my younger sister.
OK. So tell me, why did you leave the house and her business for a school and a poorer accommodation?
I did that so that I will be independent.
Really?
Yes.
That means that she was controlling you?
No sir.
Then it means that she was controlling and bossy.
No.
So you left because of independence.
Yes.
So why did you come back the day before the murder?
I had come in there some days ago.
Really?
Yes.
For what purpose?
I had run out of cash.
Funny you mention that after declaring that you moved out because of your independence.
I told you that.........
What did you know about Loveth's pregnancy and her subsequent disappearance?

1 Like

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 5:35pm On Aug 17, 2017
No.
So you not know that she had been kidnapped?
I know about her kidn.......
So you know something about her pregnancy and disappearance. So tell this court what you know about Loveth's case.
I know that she was kidnapped while she was pregnant.
Pregnant with your child?
That was what I was told.
What you were told? Couldn't you confirm?
I never had the chance to see her when I heard about it.
So you have not seen her.
Yes.
Do you have any sexual relations with her?
No.
Then explain to me why her father thinks that you are her lover?
I used to teach Loveth some subjects and we are a bit close.
Are you sure that is all?
Yes.
The lawyer then moved to the Television set in the court, which was brought in that morning and switched it on.
So explain what is happening here?

2 Likes

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by eitsei(m): 7:27pm On Aug 17, 2017
It's not easy to write a story and post it on nairaland and you are doing a good work, kudos

But you need to make your updates long since it's not regular, I think that's what we make people stick and interested to your story
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 10:08pm On Aug 18, 2017
eitsei:
It's not easy to write a story and post it on nairaland and you are doing a good work, kudos

But you need to make your updates long since it's not regular, I think that's what we make people stick and interested to your story
Thanks. I am still using a phone so its more difficult to gauge how long or otherwise it is. However I will try and work on it.
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by eitsei(m): 10:37pm On Aug 18, 2017
rapmike:

Thanks. I am still using a phone so its more difficult to gauge how long or otherwise it is. However I will try and work on it.
all right
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 11:33pm On Aug 18, 2017
Ebuka had his heart racing at 1000 beats/second. How he kept standing was unknown to him.
The lawyer, who was feeling like the president of the country, continued his speech.
Since Mr Ebuka has lost his voice, I will explain what we just saw there. That was Mr Ebuka taking advantage of the little girl named Loveth in his house. We can see that this is more than just a platonic relationship and we can therefore deduce that the accused impregnated the........
Objection my lord! The evidence presented to this court is not valid in this argument. First of all, my learned colleague did not share this evidence when..........
Objection overruled!
Barr. Ademola continued. The suspect has shown that he has just lied about his relationship with the lady. Therefore, Mr Ebuka's testimony in court may be wholly false. I therefore.......
Barrister Ademola, have you asked all your questions? This is a court room, not a drama session.
No sir.
Then finish it quickly, we don't have time for melodrama.
Barr. Ademola curtsied to the judge and tge n faced Ebuka.
You still maintained the stance that you had no hand in your mother's death?
Yes.
Then explain why your fingerprints were found on the knife that stabbed her.
I used the knife to cut beef earlier that day.
But from the confessions given by all those present, you don't Cook in the house.
Yes, that is true but I decided to see if I could make something special for her that day.
Special?
Yes.
What was the occasion?
Nothing, I just wanted to be good to her.
Mr Ebuka, you decided on the day that she died to be good to her?
Yes. Tears were beginning to form. How was I supposed to know that she will die that day?
Hmn, you did not know she will die that day, did you?
Yes.
But you knew she will die someday soon.
I knew she will die someday, I can't see when.
What did you add to her food?

2 Likes

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Oyindawealth(f): 8:43am On Aug 19, 2017
shocked add to her food ke Dis one weak me oooo...I pray God will intervene on behalf of Ebuka....
At op WELDONE!!! Fire on!!!

More plssssss.......
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 8:20pm On Aug 19, 2017
I added nothing! Ebuka shouted.
Of course you added nothing. I wanted to check if your mind was still here. Back to the topic. Can you tell us why you chose to cook that day? I mean, you have arrived a few days ago but you did not cook until that day.
Sir, I have replied this question before, I have no ulterior motive. I just wanted to do something for her.
Barr. Osaze shook his head at the information just blurted out.
So I can take it that your relationship with her is bad before?
No.
But you just admitted that you wanted to cook for her because you wanted to do something good.
Yes.
So why did you want to do something good for her? Have you been bad to her before?
No.
But you have not been in the best of terms with her.
Ebuka sighed. He knew that this will not end nicely.
Yes.
And she recently changed her will, didn't she?

2 Likes

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 7:32pm On Aug 21, 2017
Yes.
So a woman recently changed her will which favors you and a few days later she is dead. Tell me, what do you think happened?
Objection my lord! My learned col.........
Objection overruled!
Aha!
Order in the court! The clerk shouted as cries of injustice filled the air.
Order! Order!! Order!!!
The cries continued for twenty minutes, the proceedings coming to a halt. After calm was restored, the judge adjusted his gown.
For disrupting court proceedings, I fine everyone present, #200. This will teach you that this is a courthouse, not a village square.
The court got noisy again as entropy rose up for another five minutes. When that had died down, the judge beckoned on the lawyer to continue.
That will be all, Your Grace.
The prosecution lawyer went to his seat, feeling fulfilled.
Lawyer for the accused, do you have any witness?
Yes I have. Barr Osaze answered.
Please bring him forward.
Mr Calistus Onyebuchi Okonkwo, please come forward.

1 Like

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by FameG(f): 10:00pm On Aug 21, 2017
kilode rapmike?? this update is too short o
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 7:35pm On Aug 22, 2017
Mr Calistus, are you a Christian or Muslim?
I am a Christian.
Swear by this bible.
Calistus placed his hand on the bible and swore.
Mr Calistus, can you tell this court your full name?
My names are Calistus Onyebuchi Okonkwo.
Who are you to the accused?
I am the younger brother.
Same father and mother?
Yes.
What do you know about the accused?
He is my elder brother and the first child of the family. He worked at Arizona International and Madiza Limited as the CEO until six months ago.
What happened?
He moved to Ikoyi and started teaching in a secondary school.
Why?
He said that he needed to be independent from the family and stand on his own.
Okay. So he left the house?
Yes.
Did he have any argument with his mother?
No.
What about you or your sister?
None of that happened.
Then what happened that he came back to the house?
His house rent finished.
Okay, so he had no friend to squat with?
No. In fact he was invited by our mother.
Okay. Where did he sleep throughout his stay there until she died?
He slept in the visitor's room.
Where is that?
That's the first room from the main entrance.
What about the kitchen?
Just opposite the sitting room.
Barr. Osaze bowed to the judge. I am done examining the witness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by gal10(f): 9:23pm On Aug 23, 2017
Wowwwwww this is extremely good! Good job rapmike! More Grace to you.. I love this...so different, full of intrigues and suspense!
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 3:52pm On Sep 09, 2017
I am sorry that I have not continued this story. I have been facing a couple of things, both personal and related to the story. But between today and Monday I hope to have dropped at least three updates and then continue writing it regularly.
Again, I am sorry.

1 Like

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by itsandi(m): 4:16pm On Sep 09, 2017
Interesting story! Read other cool stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Click!
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 11:11am On Sep 10, 2017
Barr. Ademola, do you want to cross examine the witness?
Yes Your Lordship. Barr Ademola said, raising from his bench and walking towards Calistus.
Mr Calistus, you said that your brother came back home because of your mother?
Yes, she invited him.
And he accepted?
Yes.
Doesn't this contradict his previous stance on self reliance?
He said that he took the option because he had no other.
Is that true?
Yes.
Yet he has a certain friend in school, one Mr Friday.
I know nothing about that.
Good. Did he at one time control Arizona International?
Yes, that was his first job.
Oh, good. Do you know anything of his dealings there?
No sir.
But you are the current CEO, are you not?
Yes I am.
Then explain how the current CEO had no idea of the dealings of the previous CEO?
I know a bit of it, but I don't have any knowledge of the details concerning each transaction.
But you know about the profit made?
Yes.
Did you meet it when you became the CEO?
No. My mother had withdrawn the profit and taken the money to another account.
Did your brother get anything for his labours? I mean at least a bonus for moving the company forward?
No.

1 Like

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by crislyn(f): 11:54am On Sep 10, 2017
This story is nice and really interesting but the slow update is something else. wehdone writer.
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Rhayne(f): 4:51pm On Sep 10, 2017
This is an interesting piece, unfortunately however, 'm beginning to forget the earlier parts. Could you please update more regularly? 'm sure your avid readers like my humble self would appreciate it.
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by itsandi(m): 5:01pm On Sep 10, 2017
Nice story! Read other cool stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Click!
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Feyikemi12(f): 6:36am On Sep 11, 2017
Rhayne:
This is an interesting piece, unfortunately however, 'm beginning to forget the earlier parts. Could you please update more regularly? 'm sure your avid readers like my humble self would appreciate it.
same here o
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 9:45pm On Sep 11, 2017
So your brother just worked that hard for nothing?
He got his salary nah, even allowances.
So he was not cheated.
Yes.
Good. Did he at any point express dissatisfaction with the job?
No sir.
Barr. Ademola scratched his wig. Mr Calistus, can you tell me where he was at the time of the discovery of your mother's murder?
He was sleeping in one of the rooms, I can't remember which one.
Did he use the knife that the previous day?
Yes.
To do what?
To cut meat.
Which time was this?
Around 3 in the afternoon.
What did he cook with the meat?
Nkwobi. Its a traditional dish.
And he used all the meat?
Yes.
What else was eaten that day, after the Nkwobi?
Mum took fish pepper soup.
Good. What knife was used to cut the fish?
It was the second knife.
Mr Calistus, you are in the court of law and you swore by the Bible. Lying here is a serious offence.
I can't remember. It was some time back. But we have many knives in the kitchen.
True. But forensic studies showed that it was only that knife that was in use that day.
But the housemaid may have washed the other knives.
Which means that the alibi used by the defence attorney that the accused used the knife to cut meat is null and void. This means that the only option left is that Mr Ebuka Okonkwo used the knife to kill his mother after which he hastily disposed of the knife.
The lawyer turned towards the judge. That will be all, Your Lordship.
As he walked back majestically, Calistus dropped his head on the witness stand, looking distraught.
The witness may return to his seat.
After Calistus walked back, the court went into a silent moment, waiting for the judge to make his judgement.
The court hereby orders a 10 minutes recess.

3 Likes

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by ceedarlin1(f): 1:46pm On Sep 15, 2017
So sorry I arrived late my bicycle broke down. ..had to trek even spilled some of the pop corn. ..
Abeg who ll share Acv with me Ayam kettoing. ..

Ride on sir!
More data
More battery To your phone. .
Greater grace honey.
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 7:14pm On Sep 17, 2017
Sorry for not updating. My data is finishing and I am still hoping to renew it this semester or get data transfer.
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Jane1234f(f): 4:09pm On Sep 20, 2017
Nice story, am following
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 11:26pm On Oct 07, 2017
I am back. Will hopefully continue during the next week.

Jane1234f Misselocon Eyinimofeoluwa Jumizie13 Cleopatra4 Akinwale14 Venica henergygirl MhizDherbee Kaycee7 Tuhndhay
ceedarlin1 Missmossy bimberry1307(f), rosieluv (f), sekxy (f), Eyinimofeoluwa(f), MhizDherbee(f), Missnande(f), Tpresh(f), yeeshanana(f), yewande1234(f), gracile (f), queenpheesah(f), Oyindidi(f), Evablizin(f), Khallyella(f), harunablezin(f), IfyOaks(f), PharmaGirl(f), OTAIFOHJ(m), Lilyjoe567(f), BiafraBushBoy(m), Angelinastto(f), degelinglacis, AudreyTimms (f), PrettyMizQdot(f), Diznie (f), Venica(f), Shalomdee(f), LitQueen(f), Maryclaire1(f), darbeelicous(f), NegeduGrace(f), splendidiva(f), cerowo (f), SweetPuffPuff, NevetsIbot, preccy69(f), Eniqurl(f), folakemigeh(f), kayemjay (m), charytea(f), MainHerioneHoon(f), StephDamielola(f), holatimmy(f), devilmaycry (m), SurestG (f), Marinee(f), dollyjoy(f), Justeenaleo(f), Amarabae(f), safarigirl(f), Nina4u(f), Darch, smileing(f), Missmossy(f), Adfijem (f), GloriaNinja(f), Omotayor123(f), Asco9ty5 (f), rosy4u(f), Boleyndynasty2 (f), ritababe(f), candy(f), Bibi294(f), gentlebeeholar(f), sandybae (f), MRHOLYBOY(m), Leriebloom(f), mhizgap(f), SamuelTurner(m), KimberlyWest(f), TiffanyJ(f), Angelsss(f), EvaJael(f), fiyah(f), everton4life(m), Lawlahdey(f), prey02(f), sleeqiam(f), Apollux(m), Nnnena(f), RolaDiva(f), Galacious1, Spicylate(f), swedishblonde (f), BiafranBushBoy, marianneada(f), crislyn(f), Cleopatra4(f), StarBukola(f), commyluv(f), PamelB(f), Lilyqueeny(f), ODUMAIYE (f), Bukkiminat(f), Rhayne(f), kayceerilyn (f), kikiwendy (f), Awelewap (f), IemFava(f), pinkeeprincess(f), Mimienudles(f), sharliz(f), ahzeezat(f), Kimkardashain(f), Bossken(m), Olaide59(f), mercyymai(f), Tinkybabe(f), ceedarlin1(f), iamloyalty(f), antispexish (m), ozila(m), skarlett(f), rachealfst(f), teel123(f), Chumzypinky (f), SheWrites(f), larabae13(f), queenitee(f), AustinBlinks (m), ironkurtain(m)
Feyikemi12 Mimienudles JigsawKillah MhizEnkay saraphina
Rhayne
crislyn
gal10
FameG
Oyindawealth
eitsei
KimberlyWest
iamloyalty

6 Likes

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Nobody: 12:59am On Oct 08, 2017
Wow I think d writer pattern bears semblance to John Grishams pattern of writing
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by irofulu(f): 1:03am On Oct 08, 2017
niceeee
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Akinwale14(m): 12:01pm On Oct 08, 2017
rapmike:
I am back. Will hopefully continue during the next week.

Jane1234f Misselocon Eyinimofeoluwa Jumizie13 Cleopatra4 Akinwale14 Venica henergygirl MhizDherbee Kaycee7 Tuhndhay
ceedarlin1 Missmossy bimberry1307(f), rosieluv (f), sekxy (f), Eyinimofeoluwa(f), MhizDherbee(f), Missnande(f), Tpresh(f), yeeshanana(f), yewande1234(f), gracile (f), queenpheesah(f), Oyindidi(f), Evablizin(f), Khallyella(f), harunablezin(f), IfyOaks(f), PharmaGirl(f), OTAIFOHJ(m), Lilyjoe567(f), BiafraBushBoy(m), Angelinastto(f), degelinglacis, AudreyTimms (f), PrettyMizQdot(f), Diznie (f), Venica(f), Shalomdee(f), LitQueen(f), Maryclaire1(f), darbeelicous(f), NegeduGrace(f), splendidiva(f), cerowo (f), SweetPuffPuff, NevetsIbot, preccy69(f), Eniqurl(f), folakemigeh(f), kayemjay (m), charytea(f), MainHerioneHoon(f), StephDamielola(f), holatimmy(f), devilmaycry (m), SurestG (f), Marinee(f), dollyjoy(f), Justeenaleo(f), Amarabae(f), safarigirl(f), Nina4u(f), Darch, smileing(f), Missmossy(f), Adfijem (f), GloriaNinja(f), Omotayor123(f), Asco9ty5 (f), rosy4u(f), Boleyndynasty2 (f), ritababe(f), candy(f), Bibi294(f), gentlebeeholar(f), sandybae (f), MRHOLYBOY(m), Leriebloom(f), mhizgap(f), SamuelTurner(m), KimberlyWest(f), TiffanyJ(f), Angelsss(f), EvaJael(f), fiyah(f), everton4life(m), Lawlahdey(f), prey02(f), sleeqiam(f), Apollux(m), Nnnena(f), RolaDiva(f), Galacious1, Spicylate(f), swedishblonde (f), BiafranBushBoy, marianneada(f), crislyn(f), Cleopatra4(f), StarBukola(f), commyluv(f), PamelB(f), Lilyqueeny(f), ODUMAIYE (f), Bukkiminat(f), Rhayne(f), kayceerilyn (f), kikiwendy (f), Awelewap (f), IemFava(f), pinkeeprincess(f), Mimienudles(f), sharliz(f), ahzeezat(f), Kimkardashain(f), Bossken(m), Olaide59(f), mercyymai(f), Tinkybabe(f), ceedarlin1(f), iamloyalty(f), antispexish (m), ozila(m), skarlett(f), rachealfst(f), teel123(f), Chumzypinky (f), SheWrites(f), larabae13(f), queenitee(f), AustinBlinks (m), ironkurtain(m)
Feyikemi12 Mimienudles JigsawKillah MhizEnkay saraphina
Rhayne
crislyn
gal10
FameG
Oyindawealth
eitsei
KimberlyWest
iamloyalty
No p bro
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Rhayne(f): 2:37pm On Oct 08, 2017
Thanx for the mentioned, still following
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Rhayne(f): 2:37pm On Oct 08, 2017
Thanx for the mention, still following

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Your Book, Dear Ijeawele Is Dead On Arrival. Fan Tells Chimamanda On Facebook. / Diary Of A Playboy (18+) / My Handsome Enemy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.