Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,777 members, 7,955,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:08 PM

With Velvet Gloves. - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / With Velvet Gloves. (27410 Views)

The Velvet Tamarind 1 (a Short Story) / The Velvet Tamarind 1 (a Short Story) / Blue Velvet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 9:12pm On Oct 24, 2017
Grnnnnn! The noise of the phone ringing at the other end. No special ringtone, he mused. It rang three times before someone picked it.
Hello, who is this?
You gave me your numb......
Hey, hey, better listen to me! If I see you near my husband eh, I will......... The voice trailed off and he could hear faint sounds of arguments in the background.
I am sorry about that. He heard that on the phone after some minutes. She is the jealous and non trusting type. I try my best........
Get to the point! Detective Arinze said, blood boiling. I don't have time for your marital issues!
I am sorry. I am Dimeji, I need your help. Some thugs have taken residence in an uncompleted building.
So? Arinze asked with non interest. It is known that thugs live in uncompleted buildings in order to conduct shady activities.
They have a girl kidnapped in there.
And?
Someone who have testified in one of your cases have been visiting her.
How do you know all this?
He fainted on the day a lawyer asked him questions.
Mr Francis! Detective Arinze's mind went on overload. What's the address?
The building beside Number 7 Abacha road, Ajegunle estate, Mushin.
Good. Thank you. He cut the call.
Arinze looked at the lady sleeping. He walked out of the room and dialed another number.
Mustapha, gather the guys to my place!

3 Likes

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by TSO4U: 10:50pm On Oct 24, 2017
I admired your writing prowess...having read from the head to d stopped, kudos.
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 9:17pm On Nov 01, 2017
Ten minutes later they were in Ajegunle, planning on how to take out the thugs present. Detective Arinze had counted 10 thugs, not counting whoever was inside. Two of them were holding locally made Dane guns, two more with locally made pistols, one with an AK-47 rifle, and four others with cutlasses. The one facing the entrance had a machine gun in front of him.

Detective Arinze looked at his men, the whole six of them.
Guys, move out!
The speed at which everyone dispersed was like a Formula 1 race car, yet the area was without any peculiar sound.
The first person to be taken out was a burly guy with body hair all over him. The next two were taken out quickly as well. The four guy was been taken out when Thunder came out to take a piss.

That was the beginning of pandemonium.
Loveth woke up to the sounds of guns firing off. Quickly she shook herself off her bed and moved her ear to the door.
Police! Na Police!!
That was all she could hear but that was enough. She knew what was happening and she realized that it was a chance to escape.

4 Likes

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Jane1234f(f): 8:33am On Nov 02, 2017
Please make the episodes longer
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Feyikemi12(f): 7:29pm On Nov 07, 2017
rapmike:
I am back. Will hopefully continue during the next week.

Jane1234f Misselocon Eyinimofeoluwa Jumizie13 Cleopatra4 Akinwale14 Venica henergygirl MhizDherbee Kaycee7 Tuhndhay
ceedarlin1 Missmossy bimberry1307(f), rosieluv (f), sekxy (f), Eyinimofeoluwa(f), MhizDherbee(f), Missnande(f), Tpresh(f), yeeshanana(f), yewande1234(f), gracile (f), queenpheesah(f), Oyindidi(f), Evablizin(f), Khallyella(f), harunablezin(f), IfyOaks(f), PharmaGirl(f), OTAIFOHJ(m), Lilyjoe567(f), BiafraBushBoy(m), Angelinastto(f), degelinglacis, AudreyTimms (f), PrettyMizQdot(f), Diznie (f), Venica(f), Shalomdee(f), LitQueen(f), Maryclaire1(f), darbeelicous(f), NegeduGrace(f), splendidiva(f), cerowo (f), SweetPuffPuff, NevetsIbot, preccy69(f), Eniqurl(f), folakemigeh(f), kayemjay (m), charytea(f), MainHerioneHoon(f), StephDamielola(f), holatimmy(f), devilmaycry (m), SurestG (f), Marinee(f), dollyjoy(f), Justeenaleo(f), Amarabae(f), safarigirl(f), Nina4u(f), Darch, smileing(f), Missmossy(f), Adfijem (f), GloriaNinja(f), Omotayor123(f), Asco9ty5 (f), rosy4u(f), Boleyndynasty2 (f), ritababe(f), candy(f), Bibi294(f), gentlebeeholar(f), sandybae (f), MRHOLYBOY(m), Leriebloom(f), mhizgap(f), SamuelTurner(m), KimberlyWest(f), TiffanyJ(f), Angelsss(f), EvaJael(f), fiyah(f), everton4life(m), Lawlahdey(f), prey02(f), sleeqiam(f), Apollux(m), Nnnena(f), RolaDiva(f), Galacious1, Spicylate(f), swedishblonde (f), BiafranBushBoy, marianneada(f), crislyn(f), Cleopatra4(f), StarBukola(f), commyluv(f), PamelB(f), Lilyqueeny(f), ODUMAIYE (f), Bukkiminat(f), Rhayne(f), kayceerilyn (f), kikiwendy (f), Awelewap (f), IemFava(f), pinkeeprincess(f), Mimienudles(f), sharliz(f), ahzeezat(f), Kimkardashain(f), Bossken(m), Olaide59(f), mercyymai(f), Tinkybabe(f), ceedarlin1(f), iamloyalty(f), antispexish (m), ozila(m), skarlett(f), rachealfst(f), teel123(f), Chumzypinky (f), SheWrites(f), larabae13(f), queenitee(f), AustinBlinks (m), ironkurtain(m)
Feyikemi12 Mimienudles JigsawKillah MhizEnkay saraphina
Rhayne
crislyn
gal10
FameG
Oyindawealth
eitsei
KimberlyWest
iamloyalty
welcome back

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 5:09pm On Nov 11, 2017
sorry for not updating, a lot has been happening. Hope to update soon

1 Like

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by crislyn(f): 5:45pm On Nov 11, 2017
rapmike:
sorry for not updating, a lot has been happening. Hope to update soon
We waiting..welcome back.
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 8:43am On Nov 14, 2017
Since the last effort she made to escape, they had chained the door of her room. She paced around the room looking for something to either break through the door or the burglary proof window that let in air and light, but apart from a rusty crowbar, there was nothing that she could use.

Outside, the police and Thunder's thugs were engaged in a gun fight.

Bungalow, bring that AK wey dey that kitchen cupboard. Bring am here sharp sharp. Matches, pass that cartridge. Thunder said above the sharp sounds of bullets flying.
Matches flung the cartridge carelessly, landing it just in front of Thunder's position and in the line of fire.
Come pick am, idiot! Thunder cursed as Silver passed a loaded pistol to him. Not you! He shouted as he dragged Silver back. Keep shooting. Matches! Come and pick this cartridge, mad man!
Matches moved quickly to pick the cartridge but as he was about to pick it, a bullet pierced his hand.
Argh! He howled as a hand dragged him back.
Thunder scowled as he contemplated what to do. Silver, go check for Bungalow inside! He shouted.
Silver crouched in order to move towards the house but stopped as a gun rested on his head.
That was the end as Thunder found himself surrounded by the police and Loveth free.

1 Like

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Lildiamond: 8:53am On Nov 14, 2017
I'm following your sweet story
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by EkopSparoAyara(m): 1:25pm On Nov 15, 2017
Rapmike I lost hope...
I thought u had 4gotten abt d story.. Welcum back grin grin
Justice! Justice!! Justice!!! 4 Ebuka
Waiting 4 more
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 8:41am On Nov 22, 2017
Ebuka looked at the sky from the little window in his cell. As he was spending his last hours on earth, he glossed over what had been his life- his mother, his siblings, Mr Francis and his neighborhood, Mr Matthew and his school. All his life history flowed in from his memory and he could find no resolution to it.
His cell mates had watched in silence as he cried his heart out when Calistus left. His heart could not find the strength to forgive him. How did he not see it? Calistus had been jealous of his mother's attention and love of him for ages, and he leaving the family business did not help. Even when he came back and his mother's behest, Calistus still carried that grudgingly look about him. Now that gurdge will cost him his life.
Mr Francis will now have his daughter to himself, Ebuka mused. He was quite sure that Loveth was alive and well and Mr Francis just hid her in order to implicate him. He remembered how other witnesses, who had more wits than Mr Francis went about saying half truths and complete lies. At times you wonder if he really had so many enemies or it was money that brought them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by EkopSparoAyara(m): 5:18pm On Nov 28, 2017
Ebuka... Its such a pity that ur a victim of circumstance..
It is well..
Thumps up Rapmike
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 8:13pm On Dec 17, 2017
Ada was the only person who fought for him vigorously. He managed a simple smile as the warden dragged him away to be executed. The folly of her struggle rang true to his head. Calistus must have planned everything perfectly.
Oya stand still! The warden said as they tied home to a stake. So, this is the end. He thought. All the dreams and hipes, all he planned and promised Loveth, all will end here. His mind was far away, even as the pastor was saying the last prayers he would ever hear.
Ready! He heard the command from far away as he closed his eyes, trying to travel to a far away land in his mind.
Fire!
Stop!

†****†###################
Is that all?
Yes sir. Loveth said in tears.
Okay. Arinze, take her to your office and let her stay there. Kolade, take this warrant and arrest Mr Francis now!
Yes sir!! Both of them answered.
Kolade left there fuming. This was not the timing he needed. After today, he had instructed Thunder to release the girl and claim that she managed to run away. He wanted Ebuka dead first but roping in Calistus. Now the D.P.O has ordered his superiors to quickly call off the execution, just like that! Work of months inside the drain.
I hope they get there late. He muttered to himself. He shook his head. What if this thing back fires at me? Thunder is in custody and nothing will stop him from opening the whole can of worms about Mr Francis, himself, Calistus and Mr Mogu. In fact, a good statement from Thunder will destroy everything and everyone involved.
Thunder must die! He told himself. He cannot be allowed to stay alive.

2 Likes

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by bossy512(f): 9:03pm On Dec 17, 2017
OMG, I think it will be too late before they get there, thanks for d update
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by EkopSparoAyara(m): 9:06pm On Dec 18, 2017
I know it's nt late bkuz in d first paragraph,A command to seize fire was given...
Calistus, ur end is near....
Weldone Rapmike..
Following keenly..
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 8:59pm On Jan 02, 2018
Calistus looked at his bag. It was an extremely fine day for him. Ebuka would be executed and every one can continue with their little, miserable lives. Maybe Ada will marry and name her child Ebuka. He mused, giggling to his idea.

'Baby Konga' by Konga started ringing on his phone.
YC, why you dey call me? I don tell you shey.........
Oga, Police don catch Thunder.
Calistus mouth suddenly went dry. Police do wetin?
Dem catch Thunder oh!
For where? Calistus asked, hoping it was outside the hideout.
Na for jungle oh! Na for Panana shrine gan!
Which time this one happen?
Na today oh!
Before nko! So if this matter happen yesterday, na now you go dey tell me.
Oga no vex. Na this morning e happen.
This Morning? Calistus shock was out for anyone to see. You just dey tell me now?!
Boss no vex. Dem seize everybody phone for street. Na just now now dem give us.
Ah! Okay, I go follow you talk later. Calistus cut the phone.
Dashing into his room, Calistus went for his wardrobe first, then dropped his bag and started to pack his clothes. This is bad! This is bad!! He knew that if they caught Thunder, he may be forced to confess the truth and he will be arrested.
Once he was done, he ran off the house, literally jumped the five metres of grass that decorate the front of their house and ran through the lawn straight to the gate.
Oga, shey nothing dey happen? The gateman asked, astonished at the tension Calistus carried with him.
Open this gate! Stupid fool! He screamed back, almost dragging the gateman to the ground.
Oga, make I carry key na!
Calistus let go of him, forcing the gateman to a short burst of speed as he grabbed the key from his room and opened the padlock.
As Calistus opened the gate, his hopes evaporated.
Mr Calistus, you are under arrest for murder. You have the right to remain silent as any word said will used in the court of law!

2 Likes

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by crislyn(f): 10:45pm On Jan 02, 2018
Happy new year rapmike and welcome back again...i hope updates will be better this year.
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by donkelz(m): 5:45pm On Jan 03, 2018
Happy New Year Bro! More updates!
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Lildiamond: 6:16pm On Jan 03, 2018
Lovely story
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 10:04am On Jan 05, 2018
As soon as Calistus was left alone in the same cell with Thunder, he turned towards him.
Thunder, what's the meaning of this? How did it happen?
Thunder kept mute, looking straight at the wall opposite him.
Thunder, are you not the one am talking to?
Heys! Bros better behave here! You think say because we no touch you, you fit dey talk anyhow? We dey induct new members here oh! You own go come this night.
Calistus turned around to see who spoke and discovered that it was a dark hefty dude who had two slashes on his left cheek and a good cut just above the eyebrow. His head looked like the square part of a square hammer and his muscles were twice of Thunder's own. His eyes were squarely fixed on Calistus.
For the first time in his life, Calistus peed on himself.

#######$$$$$####
The morning started beautifully for Mr Mogu. After walking out of the police station, he had quickly gone to his 'safehouse' and packed his essential luggage. He has had pleasant memories here but they all end the same way, in pain. He had been arrested by the Kubwa police force for over speeding and had hoped to escape with just a warning at the station.
Then he saw Mr Adeyemi.
Mr Adeyemi, DG of Arizona International, had come to present himself before the police every week as they arranged bed

1 Like

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 10:12am On Jan 05, 2018
As soon as Calistus was left alone in the same cell with Thunder, he turned towards him.
Thunder, what's the meaning of this? How did it happen?
Thunder kept mute, looking straight at the wall opposite him.
Thunder, are you not the one am talking to?
Heys! Bros better behave here! You think say because we no touch you, you fit dey talk anyhow? We dey induct new members here oh! You own go come this night.
Calistus turned around to see who spoke and discovered that it was a dark hefty dude who had two slashes on his left cheek and a good cut just above the eyebrow. His head looked like the square part of a square hammer and his muscles were twice of Thunder's own. His eyes were squarely fixed on Calistus.
For the first time in his life, Calistus peed on himself.

#######$$$$$####
The morning started beautifully for Mr Mogu. After walking out of the police station, he had quickly gone to his 'safehouse' and packed his essential luggage. He has had pleasant memories here but they all end the same way, in pain. He had been arrested by the Kubwa police force for over speeding and had hoped to escape with just a warning at the station.
Then he saw Mr Adeyemi.
Mr Adeyemi, DG of Arizona International, had come to present himself before the police every week as they arranged beforehand due to the situation concerning the finances of Arizona Intl and the investigation involving Ebuka Okonkwo. He was the last person that Mr Mogu thought he would see and the last person he wanted to.
He hoped to slip pass Mr Adeyemi's sight, but he was spotted and before he could gear his body to run, officers held him down.
Within 24 hours, he had given all the information about the finances, including how Calistus orchestrated the whole saga and how the bank account details were hacked. They wanted to throw him into jail, but he knew the DPO and convinced him that he would show up every week.
Unfortunately for the DPO, he did not plan to remain in Nigeria beyond that day.

1 Like

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Pratiba(f): 1:01pm On Jan 05, 2018
This is a very interesting read. I was spellbound
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Dimay(m): 1:44pm On Jan 07, 2018
An Incredible Crime Piece
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 3:38am On Jan 11, 2018
Reminiscing on what had happened, he smiled. It was always good to know important people, to give tips when due because you don't know when its going to come in handy.
Once his load fitted into a small traveling bag, he rushed out of the 'safehouse', one of the houses Calistus had under his name while controlling his mother's property. its seemed so wrong to abandon the son like that, but all good things must come to an end.
"Abuja International Airport" he said to the taxi driver once a taxi stopped.
"Nnnamdi?"
"Yes, Nnamdi Azikwe Airport." Mr Mogu said, hissing. Which other airport existed in Abuja?
As the driver sped towards the airport,an idea sprung up his mind. Instead of going to the airport and risk been caught by the police who knows about his flight arrangements? why can't he try the road to Kaduna, take a flight to Calabar and from there connect a Flight to Lagos and Amsterdam? It may seem winding, but at least he would be sure of putting them off scent.
"Driver."
"Yes?"
"No take me go airport again. Carry me go Young Shall grow bus stop."
"Okay sir."
He smiled to himself. Let the DPO and Mr Adeyemi try and follow me, the two fools. They will learn bitterly not to trust fugitives.
The driver turned towards the desired destination, trying to make small talk that Mr Mogu wasn't interested in. I need to get out of here, he thought. He had previously booked a ticket to go to Kaduna for a friend's son wedding. The fortune of everything was really perfect for him. No need to bribe people for transport fare.
As he got to the bus terminal, he quickly came down from the car, just to see police officers surrounding the place. Mr Mogu, you are under arrest.
I am damned, he whispered to no one

3############################################################
Calistus was happy to see Adaobi, even though he knew she won't arrive for anything good.
Her sleeveless pink blouse and red mini skirt. So she nows wears mini skirts. He noticed.
I am hear for only one reason Calistus. Why?
why what? Why I killed mother? Why I framed Ebuka? You know the reason as well as I do.
I want to hear it from your mouth.
Fine. I killed both of them because they deserved it. After all I did for the company, mum decided to give it to Ebuka and he accepted it. What was my worth in the company, Adaobi? What was my worth as a member of this family? Tell me Adaobi?
Your worth was everything else, Calistus. Mother's steel companies, Mothers, textile factories, her big farm she inherited from Dad in Ifetedo, there were so many places....... WHY THAT COMPANY, CALISTUS?
He kept quiet. How did she know about the other enterprises?
I know about the rest of the companies and let me tell you the truth of it, the truth you avoid.
Which is?
That you are greedy. You did all those acts in order to control what was ours. Now its belongs to no one.
What do you mean?
I intend selling off all our properties to Cassandra Adams. She offered a good price for them.
You can't.....
Yes I can and I will. Goodbye Calistus.

3 Likes

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by heemah(f): 6:57am On Jan 11, 2018
You mean Ebuka too is dead??
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Lildiamond: 9:32am On Jan 11, 2018
Ha
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by EkopSparoAyara(m): 10:47am On Jan 11, 2018
Arrrhh.. Ebuka can't be dead na,it's impossicant..
Thanks for remembering us..
Weldone Rapmike..
Nice write up..
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by rapmike(m): 11:03pm On Jan 11, 2018
Calistus looked at her with sadness. I have lost her and everything.
The whole week went by without any particular interest. Even in the court proceedings he was listless, pleading guilty on every charge and asking for mercy. For a case that he shut down so quickly using his mother's vast connections, it was odd that he did not try to fight. Mr Francis and Mr Mogu were arraigned too, but with Calistus giving up and Thunder oddly killed before the trial, there was no help from anywhere. The judge sentenced them to death y the firing squad, the same kind of death that Ebuka faced.
Calistus did not looked moved, even then. His days had ended since the day Adaobi left him.

Among those witnessing the trial was Detective Arinze. His eyes flicked with doubt and unease. Detective Kolade had been suspended pending investigations of his involvement on the case. Thunder had brought his name out while they were interrogating him. That alone won't have warranted an investigation, but the day Calistus was arrested, Thunder was killed by hanging, a nail on the wall serving as the point where the rope was hung. Various police fficers were giving different stories, but one thing was sure: Kolade was around at the moment he died. Then Calistus came and spilled the beans. Now Detective Kolade has absconded his duty and he is been hunted down. What a wild month, Detective Arinze thought to himself.
When the sentence was made, he shook his head. So all the trouble of setting up Ebuka will go to waste? He did not support what they did but that did not stop him from wondering what might have been.
Their deaths were swift and clean, no body could deny that. Mr Francis begged for his daughter to be around but she did not show up. Well deserved. Mr Mogu begged for God's mercy. Calistus said and did nothing. Once the shots were fired, they alll slumped, dead.

###############################################################
Two weeks later Adaobi walked to her mother's graveside, her brothers' coffins behind her. She wondered how differently everything could have ended; Loveth could have been a sister-in-law, not some burden she feels morally obliged to pick. Calistus could have contrilled about 60% of their parents properties, with her have a token sum. Instead she now controls everything and intends selling them. Not the only option, but she felt it would serve her.
Until last night.
Detective Arinze came to see her. She loathe to see him, considering how he failed to sabe Ebuka, but she steeled herself and told herself that it was not his fault. Once he was inside, he told her everything; her mother's past with Detective Kolade, his Abuja girlfriend and how everything fell in place. She could only gasp. Cassandra? She never thought she will plot their family's demise that well, though she never knew her.
After he was gone, she sat down and cried. But why? Must the children always suffer from the mother's milk? What have they done to deserve this? She then cleaned her face and stood up, heading for the bathroom. She can't afford to be weak. Her mother was strong, she too will be strong.
"Will it be necessary for me to sell the companies"? She asked Mr Bamidele. The older man was looking more aged than before. It must grieve him so much to see this; the family he had served for years turn to dust.
"No, its not. But many will advise you to do it".
"What about you? will you advise me to sell"?
"Its a tough one, but I prefer that your mother's properties stay with her children or child as it stands. It won't be easy for you if you decide to take control of everything though".
"If I do decide on that, will you be with me"?
"I will and I will help you all the way".
They lowered the coffins. "Call Barrister Osaze. I will resume on Monday in all her companies and business except for a few".
"Who will buy those companies, if I may ask"?
"Not Cassandra".
"Wise choice girl. You look like your mother now".
"No. I want to be a better person than her".

THE END

2 Likes

Re: With Velvet Gloves. by EkopSparoAyara(m): 4:39pm On Jan 12, 2018
Wow..such a tragic ending.. I dnt like the fact that Ebuka died but all the same it was a nice nd educative story..
Weldone Rapmike.. Thanks so much for sharing this story..
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by Lildiamond: 4:49pm On Jan 12, 2018
Chop kiss Rapmike
Re: With Velvet Gloves. by gal10(f): 8:43pm On Jan 16, 2018
cry cry cry sad ending. thank you rapmike

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him / Tochi's Dilemma / Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.