Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

How To Make More Money From Writing Online - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Make More Money From Writing Online (1184 Views)

Make Good Money From Writing. / DO You Know You Can Get Paid Writing Online / Premium Coaching On How To Make $300 Monthly From Writing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make More Money From Writing Online by mrikay: 12:51pm On Feb 05, 2016
How to Make More Money from Publishing.

I assume you have read my first article on this subject (Making Money Through Publishing www.nairaland.com/2891750/making-money-through-publishing-what ) and you are already making money through your writing. So now you are back again because you want more, abi? I feel you. There is no shame. Greed is a natural instinct.

But just incase you have not read the first piece, and have not started getting paid through publishing, then click the link above. It will take you to a prior article which I posted here on nairaland.

In case you are wondering who I am, and what qualifies me to write on this subject, I am the Author of Bomber Boy: Rise of the Underwear Bomber. Check it out on google and you will see that it has gone viral. There are over 40 blog features, nearly 20 reviews, and a few interviews. Some people have said it was written by a terrorist and others have been taking jabs at me just because they don't like the cover. But all that publicity has generated one thing which has been to my liking: sales. (please note that this is not braging, I will refer to this later in this piece) So if that appeals to you, you have come to the right place. Just read on.

Let us get down to business. In order to sell your book you need to know your market. Who are you writing the book for? The oyinbo man has a word for this; he calls it Demographic.

Your Demographic.

I already wrote about this in the previous piece, so I recommend that you read it. (the link is above) But if you already read it, then let us continue the analysis.

Your demographic is the section of the market (the people out there) to who your book will apeal to. This could be a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.

Of course you cannot prevent other people from reading your book, but you can only hope that they will not buy your book. Yes, you can only pray that they will not be interested. Otherwise what happened to me with my book Bomber Boy may befall you too. I explain below.

As I said earlier, I have taken serious knocks about this book. There was this oyinbo woman called Karen who runs a big online magazine. I approached her via email to pitch my book and she immediately agreed to write a review. I never knew that she is a Flight Attendant on the same Airline that Farouk Abdulmuttalab attempted to blow.

The oyinbo woman gave me the worst review I have ever seen in my life.

1. She knew the inside story. Perhaps even better than me.

2. She was personally affected, and emotionally scarred.

3. She did not agree with my pro-African views postulated in the book.

4. She was not my Demographic.

If you google Bomber Boy: Rise of the Underwear Bomber you will find her review.

Your Demographic affects every aspect of your book. I give a few examples.

My book has been well received by Nigerians and Africans in general who live abroad, also by Black Americans who lean to the African Side. That is my demographic.

But Nigerians are deeply religious people, sometimes the better description of our character would be 'fanatical.' So of course there are many of my own people who have joined the oyinbos to condemn my book, without even knowing what it is about.

Your Demographic Affects Pricing

If you write a book for young adults you should set the price at a rate they should afford. My book is for Black People, and I understand that we do not have much money to spend. That is perhaps why should aim to bring down price and sell more. If it is to be, you will still make enough money.

Until next time.

Yours Truly,

@ikepius

1 Like

Re: How To Make More Money From Writing Online by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 15, 2016
hi Ike,

Thanks for your posts and the insights they offer.

I have one book published on Amazon.
I used it to test run the system, since I have others coming up.

Would you be so kind as to look at the book and give me feedback on what I did wrong or right.

I would also like some insight on how you promote your books.

Here is the link to the book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Confessions-Control-Addict-relationships-ebook/dp/B016P73X3M

Thanks.
Re: How To Make More Money From Writing Online by mrikay: 3:13pm On Apr 15, 2016
uchmann:
hi Ike,

Thanks for your posts and the insights they offer.

I have one book published on Amazon.
I used it to test run the system, since I have others coming up.

Would you be so kind as to look at the book and give me feedback on what I did wrong or right.

I would also like some insight on how you promote your books.

Here is the link to the book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Confessions-Control-Addict-relationships-ebook/dp/B016P73X3M

Thanks.

Wow! I am impressed... You have a great book there... email me @ gaius7online at gmail.com
Re: How To Make More Money From Writing Online by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 15, 2016
K, will do.

1 Like

Re: How To Make More Money From Writing Online by slimjoe007(m): 9:17am On Jul 29, 2016
mrikay:

Wow! I am impressed... You have a great book there... email me @ gaius7online at gmail.com

Hello mrikay,

you have a new mail please reply.

thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Make More Money From Writing Online by mrikay: 1:27pm On Aug 06, 2016
slimjoe007:

Hello mrikay,
you have a new mail please reply.
thanks
Pls check your email

(1) (Reply)

GTB Defrauding Its Account Holders In The Name Of Airtime Purchase / Chief Michael Ade Ojo Lifesize Portrat Painting By Artist Ayeola Ayodeji / I Have 50k. Should I Use It For Mmm Aka Ponzi Scheme?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.